Any unknown mechanic to share?

3 hours ago, metallichydra said:

if there's a big rockyland, there wont be a triple mactusk in the world, and if there's a triple mactusk in the world, there wont be any big rockyland.

if there's not a big rockyland in the world, there will be the rockyland-encased forest.

I was skeptical of these points, so I went and randomly generated some worlds. I found this one which contains all three of those biomes:

counterexample.thumb.png.f103c2b7559405dca97f7d1149656391.png

World seed: 1571864576

there's always a big swamp and a small swamp in the world.

This is not true since the small swamp is part of the Pig Village Forest, which is an optional biome that doesn't always generate.

5db0c59fcb03f_pigvillage.thumb.png.b0085695c17884b4265cca0bbc5f9692.png

there's always 1 wormhole and 1 sinkhole in the pig king forest, and the same applies to big swamp.

It's very common to find a sinkhole and/or wormhole in the pk forest or swamp, but neither are guaranteed.

oasis is usually near dense bee-area or rockyland encasing forest. one part of the rockyland in the rockyland-forest is spider-infested.

This is generally true. If the spider quarry is present, the oasis is almost always next to it.

the mandrakes is always in a grassland in a forest. in the mandrake forest there's always a small savannah with beefalo.

This is true.

• Thanks 12
  • Ninja 1

A bit of a weird thing I noticed with the new update: Pigs are neutral to Wurt and other Merms if they're wearing a Clever Disguise.

image.thumb.png.f1c25921b884aa1a2f920ae62c02506a.png

Wurt still won't befriend pigs, though. They'll eat her food then yell "THAT MY SPACE." and run off if you don't do so first.

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

A bit of a weird thing I noticed with the new update: Pigs are neutral to Wurt and other Merms if they're wearing a Clever Disguise.

...while I'm not entirely familiar with it, a quick check through the hats file indicates that the Merm mask just...adds the Merm tag to whatever's wearing it?
Hm. I wonder if you can use the mask to trigger pig wars. Might actually have something pretty great here; give mask to non-monster character, they just plop it on a pig's face in the middle of the village...bam, dead.

Top tier prank, if nothing else.

8 minutes ago, maradyne said:

...while I'm not entirely familiar with it, a quick check through the hats file indicates that the Merm mask just...adds the Merm tag to whatever's wearing it?
Hm. I wonder if you can use the mask to trigger pig wars. Might actually have something pretty great here; give mask to non-monster character, they just plop it on a pig's face in the middle of the village...bam, dead.

I recall watching @JamesBucket's stream and he tried do to this. The other pigs just didn't bother. I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

2 minutes ago, Canis said:

I recall watching @JamesBucket's stream and he tried do to this. The other pigs just didn't bother. I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Huh. I wonder if that's because they still have the pig tag.

Might still be worth experimenting with Bunnymen.

Edited by maradyne

20 minutes ago, maradyne said:

It's not a bug. Items often do more than what its own file shows in the code.

If you look at the NormalRetargetFn function in prefabs/pigman.lua (lines 197-224), you can see why this happens:

local must_tags = {"monster"}
    if not inst.components.inventory:EquipHasTag("merm") then
        table.insert(must_tags, "merm")
    end

return not inst:IsInLimbo()
        and FindEntity(
                inst,
                TUNING.PIG_TARGET_DIST,
                function(guy)
                    return (guy.LightWatcher == nil or guy.LightWatcher:IsInLight())
                        and inst.components.combat:CanTarget(guy)
                end,
                { "_combat" }, -- see entityreplica.lua
                exclude_tags,
                must_tags
            )
        or nil

Klei added that part between "local must_tags = {"monster"}" and "return not inst:IsInLimbo()". What it does is that it'll check if the pigman is wearing any hats with the "merm" tag. If they are NOT, then it adds "merm" as a tag they should target. There's no way this is a bug. If it was, I would've reported it in the bug tracker rather than posting it here.

• Like 3

Note: As of the Wurt update, Pig King will now recognize Hallowed Nights collection skins as Halloween costumes. He'll give you extra candy for them the same way he does for Costume collection skins. Meaning you can get extra candy from him with a skin like this:
image.thumb.png.80c32aa3a6410f1634e0ecab6a456d53.png

Edited by Electroely
Changed image to Roseate Wormwood instead of Hollow Wormwood after Zeklo's post
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Note: As of the Wurt update, Pig King will now recognize Hallowed Nights collection skins as Halloween costumes. He'll give you extra candy for them the same way he does for Costume collection skins. Meaning you can get extra candy from him with a skin like this:

The fact that you used The Hollow (or whatever its called) skin makes this confusing.

But yeah, shoes make it work. Got it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoSmoCoolStuf said:

It's possible to stack Chess Pieces on top of each other, giving a 3D visual effect.

This eventually became a bunnyman farm with catapults nearby.

Okay this is actually kinda cool. I have to try this the next time I can.

Something i've noticed:

when trying to freshen up a stack of spoilt/stale food with a stack of fresher food, placing the fresh items of food individually into the stale/spoilt stack using the "Take Half" bind instead of directly combining both stacks together provides more freshness to the rotten stack.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Something i've noticed:

when trying to freshen up a stack of spoilt/stale food with a stack of fresher food, placing the fresh items of food individually into the stale/spoilt stack using the "Take Half" bind instead of directly combining both stacks together provides more freshness to the rotten stack.

I have been trying to test this and I couldn't get it to work.

How I've been testing it:

Spoiler

I have a command that spawns two 10-stacks of powder cake. One fresh and one 50% spoiled:

meat1 = c_spawn("powcake") meat1.components.stackable.stacksize = 10 
meat2 = c_spawn("powcake") meat2.components.stackable.stacksize = 10 meat2.components.perishable:SetPercent(0.5) 

(both lines can be copied as one command)

And I have a command that prints in the log the freshness of the powder cake (assuming the combined stack is the only one in the world):

print(c_find("powcake").components.perishable:GetPercent()*100)

I pick up the two stacks of meat (making sure not to accidentally combine them by picking them up) and combine them in different ways then check how fresh the combined stack is. The result has consistently been about 75% (showing as 74.999% because even powder cake spoils over time), which is expected. I run c_removeall("powcake") after a test before trying again.

• Like 2

@GetNerfedOn The effect is divided by the size of the stack, you gain nothing by stacking before salting.

act.target.components.perishable:SetPercent(act.target.components.perishable:GetPercent() + (                                             act.invobject.components.preservative.divide_effect_by_stack_size and

act.target.components.stackable and
                act.invobject.components.preservative.percent_increase / act.target.components.stackable.stacksize or
                act.invobject.components.preservative.percent_increase
            )

Edited by Cuikui
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Something i've noticed:

Wording this better because Nerfed is drunk and because they explained it better in-game to me:

There are two methods of combining stacks of perishable items that yield different results.

Using two stacks of 10 meat for example:

Method A) Dropping individual meats from stack A into stack B until both stacks are combined.
Method B) Simply dropping stack A into stack B in a simple click.

Method A apparently has the resulting stack more fresher than when you use method B, according to Nerfed.

2 hours ago, Cuikui said:

@GetNerfedOn The effect is divided by the size of the stack, you gain nothing by stacking before salting.

They didn't mention anything about salting?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Canis said:

Wording this better because Nerfed is drunk and because they explained it better in-game to me:

There are two methods of combining stacks of perishable items that yield different results.

Using two stacks of 10 meat for example:

Method A) Dropping individual meats from stack A into stack B until both stacks are combined.
Method B) Simply dropping stack A into stack B in a simple click.

Method A apparently has the resulting stack more fresher than when you use method B, according to Nerfed.

I've tested it, and the results show that it doesn't matter how you combine the stacks. Both methods yield the same result.

Edited by Electroely
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Canis said:

They didn't mention anything about salting?

Indeed, I read too fast.

To come back on topic, the freshness of the combined stack is given by the weighted sum of both freshness. So it doesn't matter how you combine the stacks.

self.perishremainingtime = (self.inst.components.stackable.stacksize * perishtime + number * timeleft) / ( number + self.inst.components.stackable.stacksize )

• Thanks 2

the ammount of stonefruit you can break open stonefruit directly corolates with your mining strength. I'm not sure how many methods there are to demonstrate this, but the easiest way to do so is to mine them with the Honey Crystal effect added. Doing so will result in mining 2 stone fruit at a time instead of 1.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Definitely not unknown but perhaps not always remembered; you can plant pinecones and dig them up before they become trees for twigs.

Really only useful in a couple cases, but it sure is nice to have in those cases:
1) Low on twigs early game.
2) Deep-cave/Ruins living without saplings transplanted; particularly nice as Woodie, since stocking pinecones is extra convenient.

• Like 5

About no-eyed deer:

Every autumn between 8-15 days in (exact bounds uncertain), a herd of 4-6 no-eyed deer spawn. If there is no existing herd, a new one will spawn in one of three places: the deciduous forest around the pig king, the mosaic terrain, or the extra deciduous forest if that is present in the world. These deer are special in that they grow antlers every winter about 2-3 days in.

If a herd exists and the number of antler-growing deer in the world is less than 7, an additional 4-6 deer will spawn among them instead of spawning a new herd. Because of this, the maximum number of antler-growing deer in a world is 12.

The herd will despawn after the end of winter unless it is near 20 player-built structures (e.g. walls, science machines, etc).

Antler-growing deer are distinct from the deer that are spawned with Klaus. Those deer persist in the world, and they do not grow antlers.

Edited by mistrbushido
4-6 deer, not 5-7
  • Like 10