Any unknown mechanic to share?

Found out the hard way that dropping fireflies on a boat keeps them on the boat and not the spot where they were dropped. If that boat sinks the fireflies instantly die and disappear. 

Anyone know how to make drop fireflies over the open water? I want the water by my dock area all lit up. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Found out the hard way that dropping fireflies on a boat keeps them on the boat and not the spot where they were dropped. If that boat sinks the fireflies instantly die and disappear. 

Anyone know how to make drop fireflies over the open water? I want the water by my dock area all lit up. 

No chance to place Fireflies on water, they'll drown just like rocks. You'll need to rely on Star/Moon Callers, Spotlights, Mushlights/Glowcaps placed on boats, etc.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but

You can stun Klaus' Gem Deer using the staff opposite of its element (e.g. stun Red Gem Deer with Ice Staff, Blue Gem Deer with Fire Staff).

Feels ineffective since it will also stop Klaus casting animation which will make him attack you directly, if you stand next to him.

Only recommended if you want to kill him quickly in a group, without kiting.

• Thanks 2

On 5.10.2019 at 12:23 PM, loopuleasa said:

- You can plant many flowers in a small area, haunt them to turn them into evil flowers, and then you have what's called a sanity station, that you can stay on top of with a bee queen hat and you will gain sanity really fast

- Now the unknown mechanic for pro wendies is that an active Abigail 's flower dropped on ground turns into an evil flower when you dc and relog, or when you go to caves and back. This happens as long as the turf dropped on is butterfly plantable. This method can place flowers much tighter than butterfly planting, which creates stronger sanity stations

Video of this

well if you need to use a mod for dropping item in an equal distance you can aswell use mod that allows butterflies to be planted closer, save the effort and remove the need for wendy

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but

You can stun Klaus' Gem Deer using the staff opposite of its element (e.g. stun Red Gem Deer with Ice Staff, Blue Gem Deer with Fire Staff).

the ice staff works great on the red deer, however the burn of the red staff takes too long to take effect and doesn't stop the blue deer. (why is burning so bad in this game?)

• Thanks 1

I build a bunch of mushroom planters using Wormwood or Woodie (for the living log income) and fill them with red mushrooms or spores. They have a lot more use imo than green or blue mushrooms.

In addition to being crockpot filler like other mushrooms you can:

-Leave a few laying around berry farms to attract and kill gobblers

-4 monster meats+27 red caps= 27 manure, 2 meat, and 1 pigskin

-Wormwood can eat them without penalty

-drop a few large stacks to get rid of Bearger (I prefer to drop them to clean up bearger after deerclops fight)

-fed to anything in your inventory to "murder" them without naughtiness (like if you don't want to attract Krampus while saving for your gossamer saddle)

-If you don't find a use for them before they expire, well you can still use them for rot or ash

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, knaveofclubs22 said:

I build a bunch of mushroom planters using Wormwood or Woodie (for the living log income) and fill them with red mushrooms or spores. They have a lot more use imo than green or blue mushrooms.

-drop a few large stacks to get rid of Bearger (I prefer to drop them to clean up bearger after deerclops fight)

-fed to anything in your inventory to "murder" them without naughtiness (like if you don't want to attract Krampus while saving for your gossamer saddle)

-If you don't find a use for them before they expire, well you can still use them for rot or ash

This is heresy.

Nothing beats blue caps.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

no need for saplings, twiggy trees or tumbleweeds!

instead, get your stick by digging saplings!

You can express your love to a friend that asks "got any twigs" by giving them a shovel, then planting a trail of pinecones starting from him.

Then just say "dig up" and watch the choreographed shuffle dance of twigs and shovel

Teambuilding exercises.

Happened today and I recommend the bromance

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, knaveofclubs22 said:

youre forgeting fun cap :D

• Like 1

I just saw today as I was exploring the pigking code, and it is relevant with the new coming update

Characters that wear costumes receive on average 2 more candies from pig king tributes

Important Note: The customs only count in the body slot (not the head slot apparently)

So you just need to have equipped something like a chester body costume.

EDIT: Corrections from @Electroely

Head slots work as well, missed them in the code, not just body slots.

And expected candy is 4.5 more if wearing a costume (I misread it, it's not getting replaced, but added to the old number)

Klei confirmed pay to win

/jk

if IsSpecialEventActive(SPECIAL_EVENTS.HALLOWED_NIGHTS) then
        -- pick out up to 3 types of candies to throw out
        local candytypes = { math.random(NUM_HALLOWEENCANDY), math.random(NUM_HALLOWEENCANDY), math.random(NUM_HALLOWEENCANDY) }
        local numcandies = (item.components.tradable.halloweencandyvalue or 1) + math.random(2) + 2

-- only people in costumes get a good amount of candy!
        if giver ~= nil and giver.components.skinner ~= nil then
            for _, item in pairs(giver.components.skinner:GetClothing()) do
                if DoesItemHaveTag(item, "COSTUME") then
                    numcandies = numcandies + math.random(4) + 2
                    break
                end
            end
        end

for k = 1, numcandies do
            local candy = SpawnPrefab("halloweencandy_"..GetRandomItem(candytypes))
            candy.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)
            launchitem(candy, angle)
        end
    end

Edited by loopuleasa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

I just saw today as I was exploring the pigking code, and it is relevant with the new coming update

Characters that wear costumes receive on average 2 more candies from pig king tributes

Important Note: The customs only count in the body slot (not the head slot apparently)

So you just need to have equipped something like a chester body costume.

Klei confirmed pay to win

/jk

if IsSpecialEventActive(SPECIAL_EVENTS.HALLOWED_NIGHTS) then
        -- pick out up to 3 types of candies to throw out
        local candytypes = { math.random(NUM_HALLOWEENCANDY), math.random(NUM_HALLOWEENCANDY), math.random(NUM_HALLOWEENCANDY) }
        local numcandies = (item.components.tradable.halloweencandyvalue or 1) + math.random(2) + 2

-- only people in costumes get a good amount of candy!
        if giver ~= nil and giver.components.skinner ~= nil then
            for _, item in pairs(giver.components.skinner:GetClothing()) do
                if DoesItemHaveTag(item, "COSTUME") then
                    break
                end
            end
        end

for k = 1, numcandies do
            local candy = SpawnPrefab("halloweencandy_"..GetRandomItem(candytypes))
            candy.Transform:SetPosition(x, y, z)
            launchitem(candy, angle)
        end
    end

You should test what you find in the code before sharing it. It's very easy to make errors if you don't test.

I do have corrections to make:

• It isn't only restricted to the body slot. You can wear a Costume Collection skin item in any slot to get extra candy from Pig King (Hallowed Nights collection skins don't work). It just so happens that the only player Costume Collection skins that exist are either body slot or head slot.
  • It isn't 2 more candies on average, it's 4. The game generates a random number from 0 to 4, and adds 2 to that. So the lowest amount of extra candy you can get is 2, and the highest is 6. 

Unrelated, but I haven't really met anyone that knew this, so: You can heal Were-Woodie using Healing Salves, Honey Poultices, etc. Useful for whenever that Woodie realizes they're at 2 health in Weremoose form and they're absolutely going to die when turning back. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...

• Like 7

On 10/17/2019 at 1:50 PM, Parusoid said:

well if you need to use a mod for dropping item in an equal distance you can aswell use mod that allows butterflies to be planted closer, save the effort and remove the need for wendy

The mod that drops Abigail flowers an equal distance apart is a client mod that works on any server you play on. Mods that affect how close flowers can be planted together are server mods that only work when you host a private server.

12 hours ago, Electroely said:

Unrelated, but I haven't really met anyone that knew this, so: You can heal Were-Woodie using Healing Salves, Honey Poultices, etc. Useful for whenever that Woodie realizes they're at 2 health in Weremoose form and they're absolutely going to die when turning back. Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...

This wasn't true pre-rework; You couldn't heal the Werebeaver in any way besides from Wortox.

13 hours ago, Electroely said:

It isn't 2 more candies on average, it's 4

The game generates a random number from 0 to 4, and adds 2 to that

Actually, you are right, since I forgot the costume candy gets added to the old candy, while I misread it as being replaced.

Also, if we do the probability, it's slightly higher:

no_costume_candy = math.random(2) + 2 = 50%*1 + 50% *2 + 2 = 0.5 + 1 + 2 = 3.5 expected candy

costume_candy = math.random(4) + 2 = 25%*1 + 25%*2 + 25%*3 + 25%*4 + 2 = 0.25 + 0.5 + 0.75 + 1 + 2 = 4.5 expected candy

So the real expected difference on average between with costume and without costume is 4.5 candy

You can't get 4.5 candy of course, but the 0.5 is like a 50% of getting 1 extra or not

As for not sharing insights from code without testing, I disagree on that.

Freedom of expression is valuable.

Edited by loopuleasa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

As for not sharing insights from code without testing, I disagree on that.

Freedom of expression is valuable.

I am in no way trying to limit anyone's freedom of expression - I say that you should always test before sharing because I have seen many, MANY inaccuracies coming from people who never test what they find in-game. And those inaccuracies spread like wildfire. For the better of the community, please test these kind of things before sharing them.

• Like 8

Eating Monster Lasagna or Monster Tartare restores Hunger at the cost of 20 Health and 20 Sanity.
Eating Salty Monster Lasagna or Salty Monster Tartare restores Hunger at the cost of 25 Health and 20 Sanity.
The best health bonus you can get from 2x Seasoning Salt is +50 Health if added to 2x Mandrake Soup, which is +16.66 Health per Salt Crystals.

• Like 1

oasis is usually near dense bee-area or rockyland encasing forest. one part of the rockyland in the rockyland-forest is spider-infested.

tumbleweed dessert is usually near pig king.

if there's a big rockyland, there wont be a triple mactusk in the world, and if there's a triple mactusk in the world, there wont be any big rockyland.

if there's not a big rockyland in the world, there will be the rockyland-encased forest.

there's always 1 wormhole and 1 sinkhole in the pig king forest, and the same applies to big swamp.

there's always a big swamp and a small swamp in the world.

the mandrakes is always in a grassland in a forest. in the mandrake forest there's always a small savannah with beefalo.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bird Up said:

The mod that drops Abigail flowers an equal distance apart is a client mod that works on any server you play on. Mods that affect how close flowers can be planted together are server mods that only work when you host a private server.

yes