Anyone actually uses pharma chamber with new tungsten requirement?

For me personally, that syringe thing that requres tungsten axed pharma chamber from viable options. Being rather finite source it is much more preferrable for me to just wait until dupes will get well, rather than waste precious tungsten on some med.

It is the same situation like pre-drecko phosphorite - easier to encase natural grown pepper than build a farm for them.

Honestly, I have no idea what diseases the pharma chamber even cures. The only things my dupes ever catch is slimelung and the occasional food poisoning, both of which have fairly easily available cures.

It is not a problem either way. First, you need almost no tungsten. And second, with a bit of care, you can remove all sporechids without any dupe ever getting sick. You can, for example, put them in atmosphere they do not like or put them under liquid and then just wait a bit. And since they are only found in the oil-biome, you will have exo-suits anyways. Mining the oil-biome is pretty much impossible without them. I tried again for my last base and you have to put med-bets right there and be extra careful if you do not want to kill your dupes from scalding. I had some medication ready this time, but never needed it.

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

It is the same situation like pre-drecko phosphorite

So, a resource with supply finite, but so huge you literally can't feasibly run out of it before getting bored of the colony and quitting?

23 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

So, a resource with supply finite, but so huge you literally can't feasibly run out of it before getting bored of the colony and quitting?

Pretty much. The pharmachamber cure that requires tungsten is for Sporechid only. And it requires 1kg of tungsten. I find it rather impossible to run out of tungsten from using the pharmachamber. I'd be more worried about the Sun Bug Egg requirement for that cure. Takes a lot more effort to get those than digging into a random ice biome and use the rock crusher once to make tungsten.

The Sun Bug eggs are pretty simple as well. You just need one stable with, say, 6 of the regular ones, and then feed them Gristle Berries. More effort, yes, but not that hard. Of course, if you start when your dupes already have that brain-fungus it is a bit late.Takes something like 50-100 cycles to get a decent supply of the cure.

It`s pretty unlikely to get a dupe sick by zombie spores but if it happens it might spiral out of control fast. It`s wise to get a sun bug ranch ready and a bit of tungsten before going to the oil biome just in case. Building the pharma chamber isn`t necessary unless a dupe actually gets sick.

Last game i just refined a single chunk of wolframite in the rock crusher. It`s enough for 50 syringes. I don`t really need more.. Getting the required eggs to get all 50 will take forever anyway.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:47 AM, Gurgel said:

And second, with a bit of care, you can remove all sporechids without any dupe ever getting sick.

I have a question on this, so I broke into the oil biome and saw one in vacuum, so carefully kept that vacuum until I could dig it up.  I left the seed there but now notice there is a small amount of zombie spores in the oil in that area.  Not in the vacuum but in the oil. Does it multiply in liquid like food poisoning does?  Does it spread from oil to gas?  Will it spread from the oil to pipes etc if I pipe it to burn?  At what temp does it either freeze or boil dead?

5 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

. Does it multiply in liquid like food poisoning does?  Does it spread from oil to gas?  Will it spread from the oil to pipes etc if I pipe it to burn?  At what temp does it either freeze or boil dead?

I think it only multiplies in CO2. It doesn`t seem to spread from liquid to gas ot to solid. I`m sure it won`t spread to the pipes. As for the dieing temperatures you can chack it in the codex. Ir should also show where it multiplies and what kill it. From what i emember it doeasn`t change the amount on most stuff and only reliably dies in chlorine.

I didn`t test it but i assume that when "infected" oil gets processed through a refinery it might spread the spores to both the petroleum and the nat gas it creates.

21 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

I have a question on this, so I broke into the oil biome and saw one in vacuum, so carefully kept that vacuum until I could dig it up.  I left the seed there but now notice there is a small amount of zombie spores in the oil in that area.  Not in the vacuum but in the oil. Does it multiply in liquid like food poisoning does?  Does it spread from oil to gas?  Will it spread from the oil to pipes etc if I pipe it to burn?  At what temp does it either freeze or boil dead?

No idea, I never had that. If you want to be safe, just pump that oil into space. You can probably process it regularly though. As no other germs infect pipes or machinery, this one should not do so either.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:13 AM, Denisetwin said:

image.png.2050d42f7010f581e7fd7cbd4dc890f6.png

image.png.892e0377e7a9d46abaf1dfb9cfdfb597.png

image.png.65757fa470895100fe24f46429060d87.png

image.png.cc415b2bce71f49d85db93ca2beab617.png

So... according to the codex, Zombie Spores survive in some solids and liquids associated with the oil biome.  They do not grow in gas, and they die off in solids or liquids (other than the ones listed in 'survives in').  Chlorine and bleach stone will kill them much more quickly.  It also has a HUGE temperature range -- -105c to 290c.

I guess it is a matter of knowing that you are using finite resource. I know that I will never use pharma because waiting for illness to die off is not that hard, especially if you have confined base and can limit infected dupe from moving around 

I know this is a tangent from the OP, but has anyone actually tried out what happens with an outbreak of zombie spores?  I'm trying it right now and it just seems like just -10 to all skills, and some very sick looking dupes.  I was hoping that you'd actually get zombies of some kind if you let it go unchecked long enough. 

Spoiler

5cedb9024f08f_Screenshot(385).thumb.png.e8eebc9d6260d661dbfc788cb2c3f6de.png

As for the tungsten vials, I have only had infections of spores when I intentionally flood my base with them using sandbox mode, and zombie spores are the ONLY thing you want the vials for, so I tend to think they are pretty useless.  I still build pharma chambers because it looks good and fills out my med bay quite neatly, and I like not having the red badge on them saying they lack supplies, but that's the only reason I'd make it, for style, not for actual use.

Archived