Would not it be nice if Wickerbottom was in the 1st stage of Alzheimer's?

She knows more, but after a day, she forgets everything it has learned and, when relearned, she gains sanity again.

She will forget things she has learned, not the things she already knows. ; )

The orb of the moon can be useful for it because it is portable.

I Don't speak English very well, but I need to talk.

What all of you think guys?

Klei you can make any character with Alzheimer's. If not for Wickerbottom, may be another which does not even exist.

Please comment

=D

I mean, Alzheimer's is seriously one of the more horrifying diseases that currently exists. It slowly erases your memories, which can be mistaken for early onset dementia by your loved ones. Over time, it then begins to affect other parts of the brain, like removing and forgetting basic motor functions like walking or moving your hands. It then progresses to erasing other abilities, like the ability to breathe properly.

Out of all the diseases to attach to a character, why Alzheimer's?

2 hours ago, Borba said:

She knows more, but after a day, she forgets everything it has learned and, when relearned, she gains sanity again.

She will forget things she has learned, not the things she already knows. ; )

The orb of the moon can be useful for it because it is portable.

I Don't speak English very well, but I need to talk.

What all of you think guys?

Klei you can make any character with Alzheimer's. If not for Wickerbottom, may be another which does not even exist.

Please comment

=D

4 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

make it better is if she dies of old age needing to revive

this thread makes no sense lore-wise...

the time in the constant moves differently and so far there is no indication they are aging in the constant... 

btw, just because someone is not 20 doesn't really mean they degrading mentally. If anything Wicker seems to be the one that brings stability to the whole set of people. many refer her as the character who pretty much organizes the base and she is regarded as one of the sharpest minds in the game with a lot of scientific descriptions.

so nope... pls don't bring random diseases just cuz Wicker looks old...

btw he is probably around 60-70... a lot of very sharp people at that age 

I had a relative who died of Alzheimers, dont care really if a character have it. Didn't know the relative but heard he was one of the kindest men in the world.

I would have to say that it wouln't make sense if Wicker had it. I like the way she is now. And so does many others. She probably wont change much.

Borba, you've obviously never had to interact with anyone with Alzheimer's on a regular basis..it is one of the scariest, creepiest diseases ever.  You basically lose your loved one YEARS before they actually die.  They can't talk to you coherently. They can't remember anything.  They turn into babies that have to be constantly watched, have their diapers changed, lose their posessions all the time, attempt to wander off and without certain medications, they can become paranoid and/or combative.  I remember one time the loved one close to me who had it suddenly started SCREAMING at the top of his lungs that we were trying to kill him.  It was horrible.  I couldn't stop crying.  It traumatised the beep out of me.

The one, and only, (thank god) time in my life I had to call 911 was when I found him...having seizures on the floor.  I was all alone in the house at the time.  My mom, brother and I stayed at the hospital waiting for the seizures to die down and to hear the diagnosis, but it went on and on and on and ON.  Finally we went home and my mom stayed, and later I found out that it had taken EIGHT. HOURS to stop the seizures, and that he had Alzheimer's. 

That was the day my life broke.  The forgetfulness, the inattention, the wandering...none of that was just a phase.  It was not going to get better.  EVER.  Ever ever ever.  My loved one was basically gone forever.  I cried my face off for like, two days solid (I mean, like, massive crying jags every now and then all day, not like, 24/7), lost most of my creativity, lost my energy, and (after visiting a shrink for a while, whose technique didn't help me at all) eventually got on antidepressant meds. They help in the sense of calming my beep down.  But I still don't feel anything like my old self.

When it came to his funeral, I didn't cry _as_ much because I'd already done my mourning.  Because, you see...when a loved one has Alzheimer's...you lose them long before they actually die.  It's not funny.  It's not "Oh, ha ha, look at silly old Grandpa Simpson!"  It's TERRIFYING.  Their brain, their mind, their memories of everything, including you, just slip away further and further and _there's nothing anybody can do_.

Sorry to bring the mood down, but...this is an insanely depressing subject. There's just no way not to.

...Notorious

All this shade and lecturing on how terrible a disease Alzheimer's is seems a bit unnecessary.  Especially to someone who is a non native English speaker trying to formulate an idea so that the rest of us can understand.

I actually don't hate this idea. It doesn't have to be Alzheimer's but maybe a forgetful mechanic.  Something akin to an absent minded professor.  Wicker is the librarian.  Presumably she knows a lot because she's read a lot of books. Maybe after a certain time of not crafting something she needs to quote unquote look it up again before she remembers.

As a DST mechanic would be a bit OP, in the sense you basically can, each day, gain sanity re-learning (in bulk) same recipes you frequently use for Wicker, especially her researchable books.

As an ideational concept it negates the escapism aspect of games, more so for people this thing hits home pretty hard. No need for your entertainment element to remind you pretty constantly about something you might want a short window to escape from - even though I myself am against "the perpetually offended culture" of the Far-Left, this proposal conflicts fairly well with mentioned escapism facet (plus Wicker's lore). Thus I would also say no to OP's suggestion.

I sure hope you're not counting me, MrKoopa, and Starology among the "perpetually offended Far Let", x0.  As we explained, we DO have, like, actual legit reasons.  As in, we're not being offended JUST to be offended, and protesting to protect abstract "people" who _might possibly_ not like it, in a vaccuum.  This is stuff that actually happened to specific people.

And, ya know?  People make fun of "TRIGGERD!!!! all the effing time, but THIS kind of thing _is what trigger warnings are ACTUALLY FOR_.  It's for PTSD.  MAYBE a few individuals out there actually get pissed off when you misgender them or whatever, but that's not actually being triggered. That's just annoyance.  TRIGGERED is when, say, a violent shooting scene in a movie sets off a war vet in a theater.  Or, for example, somebody brought up the disease that killed part of my ability to feel happiness, for the rest of my life, and when I say "Perhaps we shouldn't make light of something like that" instead of getting sympathy I get told to shut up!  That's ruined MY day.

I get that the original poster doesn't speak English as their first language, but it's still an odd suggestion.  ("NICE" if Wickerbottom had it?  Really?) It would conflict with the lore, be dark as hell and contribute nothing, so it wouldn't work well as a game mechanic either.  What exactly would it do, make you forget a random recipe every now and then?  But Wickerbottom's the walking science machine!  That would like, ruin one of her most distinctive perks.

There.  I said something about the actual game mechanics aspect.  Happy?

...Notorious

There's really no reason for this to be added, sanity doesn't really matter the lower it is, the better for you usually as you'll get more nightmare fuel.

It would be strong in  boss fights but i don't think i want Wickerbottom to have this, i prefer having my  recipes learned so i am able to craft something when i need it.

I guess we need a Wickerbottom buff with all the people taking about Wortox. Needless to say that this was a joke. Wickerbottom is the strongest character.

It's ok, @CaptainChaotica, I understand your points of view (more so as I myself am taking care of a loved one with Parkinson), and to each their own in the end. Still we opt for games for a reason - fun pass time - and in this particular case OP's suggestion fails on all 3 mentioned levels (idea, mechanic, lore). Likewise naming a particular irl deadly disease with tragic clinical course was - to say the least - uninspired for any gaming aspect one could imagine.

As others has noted, Alzheimer's is too touchy a subject to be added as a mechanic. It's horrible, traumatizing. If we really wanted a 'forgetfull' character mechanic, short term memory loss would've been a better option if done right.

11 minutes ago, Shpee said:

controversial

*gets alzheimer's in spanish warbucks*

but tbh Alzheimer's is a bad disease and would be a bad mechanic to be implemented, even getting some sort of map amnesia ( amapnesia? ) would be less of a hassle.

The hostility here is hilarious.  Lighten up folks. In fact go watch the movie, "Folks."  It's a light hearted comedy centered around a character with Alzheimer's.  Is it a terrible disease sure but to get upset and go on a diatribe just because someone mentions it is ridiculous.

On top of that politicizing it like only the left gets triggered is just plain ludicrous. If anyone thinks the far right doesn't run for their safe spaces just as often you either live in a bubble or just plain refuse to look at things objectively.

Don't let these people beat you up OP.  It's a decent idea. Was it a poor choice to link it to a disease, probably, but you're not a monster for it.

Dude...

There are people who knew or loved people that died of Alzheimer's, and that a lot of people like Wickerbottom and that they would hate to remember this happening to their loved ones...

Just be at least a little bit sensitive...

Archived