Do you think the botomless pit skin should be re-released to everyone?

Should the botomless pit skin be re-released?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think it should?

• Yes (I own the skin)
    • Yes (I do not own the skin)
    • No (I own the skin)
    • No (I do not own the skin)

I don't really care either way. 

It, more or less, wouldn't really make sense.
The Tragic Torch got re-released so people could complete a puzzle. This would just be re-releasing a loyal for the sake of re-releasing it. 

Personally, I really don't care about the bottomless fire pit, mostly because you can get the stonehenge one by buying RoG DLC (not cheap for a single skin, but hey it is currently obtainable), and they are both pretty similar. But...

I think every one-time event skin should be "re-released" at some point. Right now it is only creating unnecessary exclusivity, and indirectly dividing the players between "I want to be able to get it" and "You had your chance to get it but didn't, so endure it". Which in the long run usually damages the game more than one usually thinks as it creates an exclusivity culture to the point were you are re-releasing skins with slight art variations ("bottomless fire pit" and "stonehenge fire pit") or rarities ("loyal" and "timeless"). It also creates this problem of wanting skins from one-time events. For example, for Hamlet DLC demo there were a very small group of people suggesting giving exclusive skins for the people that participated in the demo (no, not even for the Early Access everyone could buy, but the demo that you could only enter beforehand).

I would be okay with them rereleasing it but with a different quality. I'm always for people getting another shot at exclusive skins, but I am also all for something small that shows who played it in beta, before Wortox, or Winona, or even Maxwell/Wes for that matter. Similarly to the Beta backgrounds for the Forge/Gorge. I don't have them but I fully support them only being granted to those who played in the beta.

4 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

There's no beta background for The Gorge, only for the 1st The Forge.

What what the background for where is was just a big pile of food for? Cornucopia Portrait. I thought that was for the Gorge. I could be wrong

Yes, but with a different quality, just like the tragic torch (timeless and loyal).
So, for those who already have, it will also be considered a reward and not just a duplicated skin.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

What what the background for where is was just a big pile of food for? Cornucopia Portrait. I thought that was for the Gorge. I could be wrong

Flame Portrait (below) was a Loyal-rarity reward for testers of Beta Forge 1.

flame_portrait

Cornucopia Portrait (below, again) was a Loyal-rarity reward for participating in the Gorge contest (there were some conditions to obtain it if I remember well, something regarding dishes and/or obtained times).

cornucopia_portrait

10 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

Due to the short beta the portrait was given to anyone who played during the Gorge-not the contest.

It’s a little late to release a skin given out to those who played during the beta. I’d understand if it was like a “last chance” sort of thing, but since it’s been so long it’s pretty much exactly as @Zeklo said.

And what’s this about unnecessary exclusivity? What about it is unnecessary? Is there such a thing as necessary exclusives?

I have an idea.

How about you automatically get a (lower-tier) version of this skin if your steam account hits a certain amount of hours (something like 500+). It would allow the veterans that didn't quite make it to the beta to still have it, and it'd still give off the impression that the person that has said skin is a veteran.

I haven't joined DST soon enough like some people here, but I have played more than 4k hours and I still love it.

As a builder (mainly), I would like to have all decorative choices for my mega bases as building bases is what keeps me from quiting.

Now you may say it's only my business but think about it, I have once thought about buying a friend's account just to get that skin (donno if it's illegal tho but anw it didn't work out). I bet there are some guys like me out there.

What I want to say is releasing the skin again would make some people (especially full time builders) super happy. I suppose they won't care about rarity, just like me.

8 hours ago, Zeklo said:

It, more or less, wouldn't really make sense.
The Tragic Torch got re-released so people could complete a puzzle. This would just be re-releasing a loyal for the sake of re-releasing it. 

Was it really necessary though? The puzzle could have very easily been done without including it as a requirement.

Just now, Sinister_Fang said:

Was it really necessary though? The puzzle could have very easily been done without including it as a requirement.

Thematically? Absolutely.

You use one item of the two depicted in the murals and get the second as a reward.

Functionally? Of course not.

I voted no and I do not own the skin.  I know I owned DS before DST was even a thought but I didn't really play much and never even knew there was a beta for it.  I still don't have more than 80-90 hours in DS but I am almost near 1000 for DST.

I would love to have that skin but I think rewards are well rewards.  What's the point of doing something special to get a reward if later that same reward will just be handed out to everyone.  It takes away from it being a reward.  To that point I am completely against any type of give away or weaving for that skin.  On the other hand I would not be opposed to Klei selling it.  In fact I wouldn't care if Klei did away with the steam market completely and offered all of their skins for a price.  I would rather pay Klei for a skin I want then anyone of you.

As for the arguments of I couldn't play DST or I didn't know about it well unfortunately that is the way time works.  Each one of us knows of plenty of things that existed and then ceased to long before we knew of them.  For instance I would have loved to catch Bob Marley in concert.  Unfortunately he died just a few short months before I was born.  Do I want to see him cloned just so I can catch a concert, No.  (I realize cloning and rereleasing a video game skin aren't exactly the same thing but hopefully you get the point.)

I voted no. Don't get me wrong, I want the skin since it looks pretty cool, but at the same time, I feel like the skin gives the people who participated in early access some sort of special "Thank You" from the developers. And so it feels strange to just give everyone else the opportunity to get this skin out of the blue. Though I guess it's all up to the other players' votes in the end.

There is no way I am letting that happen.

This was the skin for people who participated in Beta, I don't see any point at all why it should be available for everyone. It's a loyal skin for players that WERE there, not for everyone, the ones that were not there included. 

If you want a new skin for participating in Beta, then release some kind of lunar campfire skin, not make the old one available again. I wouldn't care if it was made available again only if the older one was promoted to "Timeless" rarity.

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't re-released because I see the dilemma for completionists who own the game after special events or the beta. But if Klei and others wanted to keep it special then it is. A special exception are the awards from the Gorge - they should be special. So when the marble fire pit will come?:D

Archived