Wormwood Origin Theory

So, I read Wickerbottom's quotes for the new stuff, and it's quite informative. Check these out:

Spoiler

MOONGLASS_ROCK = "It appears to be mineral, but may actually be organic in nature."

Glassed Hot Spring = "I strongly suspect moon glass is organic in composition now."

Saladmander = "Plant and animal have merged into one in this specimen."

MOONBUTTERFLY_SAPLING = "The moths and the trees have somehow mutated together here."

ROCK_AVOCADO_FRUIT = "The outside is mineral, yet the inside is organic."

Carrat = "My, another plant and animal hybrid. How odd."

So it seems that moon glass, which is a green mineral, is organic somehow. Also, we know that the moon is somehow capable of merging animals and plants into a single being. Isn't it interesting that we are getting Wormwood, a character with a green mineral in his chest, and is a sentient plant? At the same time we are getting content related to the moon being organic and making animal-plant hybrids?

So what I think is, Wormwood is either just a sentient plant, or an animal-plant hybrid. What animal? I'm thinking... one of the ancients? I shall proceed with cribbing off of my twin's theory...

Hamlet has a lot of themes around bringing the past to life. The Iron Hulks are remnants from an ancient war that can be brought back to life, for instance. The Living Artifact is especially interesting. Like Wormwood, it is a hybrid with a plant that reanimates it. Isn't it interesting as well, that it has three fingers just like Wormwood? Also, if you recall Wormwood's old design, it had these curled horns for some reason. They are not necessarily plant-like... but what do have horns? The Iron Hulk, the King and Queen from the Metheus puzzle murals, and the Ancient Fuelweaver (hey, he has three fingers too!). All presumably ancient beings!

Spoiler

58e8edcf0f7b8_mural2.png.494b499e3da67f8e3144f2be93d28d39.thumb.png.969d90614ee38f47aea75c0853e2013b.png58e8ede34a947_mural4.png.77565f1a57fb3d3c59bb50a798a9df97.thumb.png.8cee56a46854798d45293ed6829ef491.png

Reanimated_Skeleton_Atrium.thumb.png.5e23918e029c82bac3d26d9ee86c373f.pngWormwood_Model_Sheet.png.fc9fb82cdf757f3177df71b20509ec4c.png

Wormwood's current design lacks the horns, but he has this curly doodad that kinda reminds me of the Ancient Herald (anon on the wiki thought so too, we are not the only ones lol)

Spoiler

Wormwood.thumb.png.623e5e5df8d1cf3646b2d8e03dc52cf3.pngAncient_Herald.thumb.png.918ceb61a4d132767e2efd4b458a39ff.png

Ergo, I believe that Wormwood was an ancient, and a piece of the moon caused him to come to life as a plant-animal hybrid (or just a plant in the shape of an ancient).

I doubt that Wormwood is an ancient, but he may be related to them. I don't know about the moon creating Wormwood, but since he does spawn in the ruins, he must be related to the ancients somehow.

What is that bit about plant animal hybrids? Wormwood looks all plant to me.

Well. The color is all wrong for the gem and the glass.

The ancient "King" and "Queen" are wearing masks. The ancients are sorta shrimp-like. It's easier to tell with the non-masked ones.

The Ancient Fuelweaver's may have the mind of an ancient but its body certainly isn't.

The Ancient Hulk is just a machine. We don't know anything about it or even if our ancients made it-since it differs from everything else we know they've made.

Just now, Zeklo said:

The ancient "King" and "Queen" are wearing masks. The ancients are sorta shrimp-like. It's easier to tell with the non-masked ones.

Oh, they are wearing masks? May I ask for the evidence of this?

1 hour ago, Bluegeist said:

Oh, they are wearing masks? May I ask for the evidence of this?

Yellow in the murals most commonly represents Thulecite. 

And I mean, just look at them, and then look at every other Ancient.

I don't know, I always thought Wormwood came into the world when plant matter simply attached itself to the Green Gem and became a sentient being afterwards. If he gets a trailer when he gets ported over to DST, I'd really like to see how he got over to where the other survivors were. If not, I'd also be cool with seeing how he officially came to be.

3 hours ago, Mooagain said:

wormwood (and snaptooth flytraps for that matter) are probably both animal and plant considering they eat more than just plant stuff and generally act like an animal would much more than a plant acts considering they walk and hunt and stuff.

5 hours ago, lbphero said:

wormwood (and snaptooth flytraps for that matter) are probably both animal and plant considering they eat more than just plant stuff and generally act like an animal would much more than a plant acts considering they walk and hunt and stuff.

Lots of plants eat animals and other plants, ever heard of a venus flytrap?

10 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Tbh, my point of reference was something like Swamp Thing - once a human, now a pile of magic vegetation in the shape of a human. In Wormwood's case, I'm saying that he's in an 'ancient species' shape

10 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Well. The color is all wrong for the gem and the glass.

The Ancient Fuelweaver's may have the mind of an ancient but its body certainly isn't.

The Ancient Hulk is just a machine. We don't know anything about it or even if our ancients made it-since it differs from everything else we know they've made.

1. Indeed, others have theorized it's a regular green gem. It just seems so convenient to introduce the moon glass with a similar hue

2. I can see how they may be wearing thulecite masks now. But still, I see shapes on their heads that are horn-like...and the other ancients lack these, but I thought of that as a design aspect to make them 'less important' in relation to the regal figures.

3. You know what, where did that body come from? Maybe the creature that Wormwood is half of is the same as that horned, three-fingered body...

4. My logic there is that when one makes a giant killer robot, one makes them resemble oneself. If a human makes a robot, it is humanoid (ie Wagstaff and WX-78 actually). Is it a coincidence that the hulk has horns and three fingers?...maybe

And again, maybe it's the same people that the ancient fuelweaver's body came from

7 hours ago, lbphero said:

snaptooth flytraps are literally venus flytraps but able to bite cause snaptooth.

Animal hybrids aren't something new. There are a real life similarities like the bleeding rock animal which is mineral-animal, and the golden jellyfish which is plant-animal.

Maybe Klei just took inspiration.

5 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

snaptooth flytraps are literally venus flytraps but able to bite cause snaptooth.

8 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Lots of plants eat animals and other plants, ever heard of a venus flytrap?

ok ok you got me on the snaptooth flytraps being able to eat....but have you ever heard of a plant that can speak and walk and craft science machines????

3 hours ago, lbphero said:

ok ok you got me on the snaptooth flytraps being able to eat....but have you ever heard of a plant that can speak and walk and craft science machines????

Groot
Wormwood's got that gem, seems to be a form of Green gem, he says green gems are familiar, and it's glowing in his newest artwork.

7 hours ago, JoeW said:

Wormwood-Wallpaper-Announce.png

wormwood_tease.jpg

So there's a full moon in that first promo image. And I only just realized the second one actually has what appears to be pieces of the moon (in the bottom left, those cratered pieces).

I think at the very least the moon had something to do with Wormwood, so this is awesome to see. I can't wait to see this short and find out more about Wormy!!

10 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

I'm confused. I don't have Hamlet, so I don't know much about Wormwood. Are there no quotes or lore so far about his green mineral?

He says the (actual item) green gems are familiar but that's about it.

23 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

And I only just realized the second one actually has what appears to be pieces of the moon (in the bottom left, those cratered pieces).

There's a piece to the right-ish with a similar "crater" in it, but it's carved pretty neatly in a square. I'm not entirely sold that they're not just ruin chunks. I'll be waiting for the big reveal on the 6th to see if your theory comes to fruition.

At the very least I wouldn't be too surprised if there's some relation to the moon, since it's relevant, but maybe not so direct.

Archived