FreyaMaluk

Klei: Swimming Against the Videogame's Industry Tide

__IvoCZE__    3,927

I fell in love with the klei tools showcased in the small tid-bit clips.

• Like 4

shroom416    38

I watched a similar video where they did a studio tour from 3 years ago and it's exciting to see that they continue to stand by this message!

Klei is an absolutely incredible company and they are truly pioneers in a high-pressure industry. So many companies don't care about work-home balance and it's a breath of fresh air to see a company, especially in gaming, that says, "No, we are not going to live like this," and tops it off by creating fun, high quality games! 

There is one unfortunate trend that I see in these videos and I am probably going to be one of the most unpopular people for saying this but... Where are the women? As a woman in tech, I find it inspiring when I see companies embracing diversity across all departments in the company. I don't know Klei's male-to-female ratio, especially for their programmers, but these videos don't paint a pretty picture. Perhaps there are plenty of women at Klei and these videos don't do the company justice? It's hard to say, but I would love to hear their stories too...or at least see them working in the background...Or maybe have one of the female software engineers join a Twitch stream? 

With that said, I still celebrate Klei for all that they have done so far and am excited to see what they will do in the future! When shaking up an industry, it's impossible to fix everything at once and I applaud them for standing by their beliefs!

Attached are two snippets. One from this video and the other from the studio tour posted 3 years ago on YouTube.

5ce44d35609b7_ScreenShot2019-05-21at11_48_53AM.thumb.png.946d1a1db07aeed132ded77443ca86c2.png

5ce44d6ac8aa9_ScreenShot2019-05-21at12_00_58PM.thumb.png.a26fb49401291f713e4a34cb2d5501b0.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

minespatch    49,798
2 hours ago, shroom416 said:

Or maybe have one of the female software engineers join a Twitch stream? 

This video is from 2013 buddy.:wilson_ecstatic:

As for twitch streams, @KrisRF and @AnimatedErica would like a word with you.:wilson_sneaky:

• Like 4

ResettePlayer    3,180
Just now, minespatch said:

This video is from 2013 buddy.:wilson_ecstatic:

As for twitch streams, @KrisRF and @AnimatedErica would like a word with you.:wilson_sneaky:

"""Software Engineers"""

Louder for those in the back: SOFTWARE ENGINEERS. People who do specifically that full time.

Recently I delved into RWP highlights on Twitch, and though I have only watched a few, as far as I know Liz is the only woman designer who had been featured--which in itself isn't exactly programming. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/6817071?filter=highlights&sort=time Even then, Matt seems to take the spotlight in this stream--understandable, since he seems to have a more social/vibrant/Twitch-friendly personality, and when you have a sound designer present, you may as well talk about sound design.

Now, I ain't sayin' Klei is sexist, because I don't believe that to be true, but that Shroom's complaint is not wholly unfounded. Example: the only woman who speaks in the video is Irene, who's role is that of "Cheng's wife", and she says like one sentence. Disclaimer: this is a Polygon video, edited by them in an effort to keep things in line with their thesis and as compact as possible. Who they chose to interview and who they chose to keep in the video probably had little input from Klei.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

ResettePlayer    3,180
3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

That's why we can't have nice things

Apologies. Pedantry and the need to correct overcame good sense just then. Thanks for sharing the video--we can't have too many positive things.

• Like 4