If one character where to betray the rest of the team, who do you think it'd be?

Who'd the traitor be?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd the traitor be?

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wolfgang
    • Wendy
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Woody
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Wortox
    • Wagstaff

I don't think WX is as likely to turn on the rest of the group as their evil robot attitude would suggest, because even if they don't have any fondness or sympathy towards the others or consider them worth respecting as people, they should be able to do the math and conclude that they're better off with the other survivors as allies than enemies. (And that however highly they think of themself in comparison to any given fleshling, they can't fight off a dozen-plus fleshlings, most of whom are supernaturally empowered, working together to defeat them.)

Maxwell I think has legitimately learned his lesson from his stint as evil puppetmaster of the Constant and is trying to redeem himself (even though he still has an oversized ego), so I'm not really worried about him being more likely to coldheartedly sell out the rest of the survivors than anybody else. I think he also knows that he'd be toast if he betrayed them and they lived to tell about it, both for the reasons I laid out re: WX and because while some of the survivors might have forgiven him for what he did on the Throne others have only put their grudges aside because he's a valuable contributor to group survival now and helps them even when he doesn't get anything out of it; they wouldn't give him a third chance. On the one hand I could see him compromising his morality if he was desperate enough but on the other hand he seems like one of the least likely people to trust that the powers he made that deal with would keep their word.

Wortox tends to take the welfare of the group less seriously than everybody else because it is less serious for him; he can leave this realm entirely if surviving in it stops being fun. However, he does have a moral compass - his whole introduction was about how there are lines he won't cross for a laugh - so I don't think he's likely to stab his friends in the back just for fun. I could see him believing he was only playing a mean prank and not realising how badly he'd screwed everyone else over, though; just look at his firestarter lines.

Wagstaff strikes me as naïve about the dangers posed by nightmare fuel, shadow magic, and Them, rather than knowing everything the playerbase has pieced together about the risks (or more) and not caring what happens to him or to anyone else if he gets what he wants. I don't think he's as selfish as some people have interpreted him. But having said that, he craves arcane knowledge and power with worrying intensity and already disregards his own safety pursuing them, so he seems like the most likely to betray the group because of some external figure offering a deal rather than just out of opportunistic self-interest.

Wendy seems to enjoy small-scale cruelty and destruction, sees little value in living, and would do almost anything to preserve or resurrect Abigail, so I think it's reasonable to be worried about her. Despite that, she cares about the other survivors (judging by things like her quotes for player ghosts) and unlike Maxwell/WX/Wagstaff doesn't seem like she craves power in general. I could maybe see her trading everyone else for Abigail but I'm not convinced she'd actually go through with it, especially with Webber among the people she was sacrificing. I don't think she's the one we should be most worried about.

Woodlegs is a pirate captain, so he's used to stealing what he wants from other people and killing anybody who tries to stop him from doing that, but that doesn't mean he has no sense of loyalty at all. I don't think he'd betray his own crew for just any prize or he'd have been killed in a mutiny by now, but it's hard to say whether he'd sell them out for the right price or if he'd stand by them at any cost as long as they were equally loyal to him. (If he didn't see the other survivors as his crew he'd probably sell them out for a cheese sandwich, but I'm assuming this is a scenario where they've all bonded with each other and worked together for a while.)

I actually voted for WX (I don't think they'd betray the others over petty things or at the first opportunity, but I could still more easily see them than any other DST character selling the group out), but now that I've written all of this I feel like I should have picked Wagstaff.

It is indeed most "in character" for WX-78 to be the traitor, but is it as narratively satisfying as, say, Wagstaff? Or even Winona?

Having a tension-building moment where WX is being offered something in exchange for being a traitor would be great, but they would probably refuse as the forces of evil have been duplicitous in the past, and WX would surely remember that and go SCREW OFF, SHADY STRANGER.

Wagstaff would be interesting because it wouldn't be wholly unexpected of his character, and there could be DRAMA if he was, like, Wilson's mentor figure or something. Also, he'd use what power he attains to do some very interesting and probably dangerous/outright scary experiments. Maxwell had a few clockworks, but imagine what crazy Fuel-infused machines and tech Wagstaff would develop! He'd make a neat villain, being a more direct parallel to Wilson than Maxwell, and possibly crazier than both.

Winona would have to be thoroughly tricked. Example: T:"Get us this thing and you'll see Charlie again." W:"What will happen to the others?" T:"They'll be fine" (but more convincing/nuanced than that). Then there'd be a whole arc wherein she has to figure out how to amend her mistake, and risk her own life in doing so. She's too friendly to just... drop everyone else in the face of temptation, unless the reward was REALLY huge and she had no idea what the consequences would actually be.

Wes... well, memes and all, but Wes is definitely more self-sacrificial. It would certainly be more of an emotional moment if Wes were to die than embrace the dark side.

Of course, DS/T is a video game and not a film or novel, so these theories don't necessarily apply.

I would say Wendy, Abby is everything to her, i can easily see her betraying the others for Abby, besides theres a couple of quotes and descriptions that make her look somewhat murderous and evil.

Btw i noticed some people commenting on her relationship with Webber, to be honest, im not so sure how fond she is of them, in one of the moon altar quotes she clearly says that she wants to sacrifice him when she thinks the altar requires a sacrifice 

3 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

I would say Wendy, Abby is everything to her, i can easily see her betraying the others for Abby, besides theres a couple of quotes and descriptions that make her look somewhat murderous and evil.

Btw i noticed some people commenting on her relationship with Webber, to be honest, im not so sure how fond she is of them, in one of the moon altar quotes she clearly says that she wants to sacrifice him when she thinks the altar requires a sacrifice 

That quote in particular is a joke, Wendy has a dark sense of humour to go with her dark sense of... everything else. In reality, they’re close enough to have endowed each other with friendship bracelets.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:58 AM, Dollmaker said:

She's referring to his endless supply of following spiders as sacrifice. 

40 minutes ago, TurtleKitty said:

She's referring to his endless supply of following spiders as sacrifice. 

Ooh, that makes sense. 

Yeesh, was she really gonna kill Webber’s poor children as a sacrifice?...

Wait, she already does that for Abigail...

And Webber does it themselves for silk and food...

Webber eats their children...

Aaand it’s time to start thinking about this less...

Wx would betray the entire group with no hesitation the moment it would be advantageous to do so.  He is entirely a being of cold pragmatism but I agree with @ResettePlayer that it’s not as narratively interesting.

Wendy would be the most interesting imo because she’d have noble intentions (saving her sister) and ignoble methods.  Max knows the shadows only offer faustian bargains.  Wagstaff is just Maxwell but hasn’t suffered for his greed yet.

I’m very glad that Wolfgang has zero votes.

7 hours ago, Toros said:

Wx would betray the entire group with no hesitation the moment it would be advantageous to do so.  He is entirely a being of cold pragmatism but I agree with @ResettePlayer that it’s not as narratively interesting.

I’m very glad that Wolfgang has zero votes.

Wx is a poser. :wilson_ecstatic:

Wolfgang is good boi. A farmer at heart with a bit of ptsd from the war he came from.

I have a few answers:

Maxwell and winnoa: together to save charlie

Wagstaff: he's already obbcessed with nightmare fuel so he may become corrupt by it

wendy and webber: wendy would do anything for her sister and webber is Wendy's only friend so wendy may manipulate/mind control/brainwash webber to do her bidding.

Archived