Swimmin' DST

Interactable waters have been added to DST, along with boats to sail across them to find new lands ...and getting out of bounds is now easier than ever, it's also the quickest and most cost-effective way to traverse the seas. An easy fix would be to have the player be killed as soon as they're standing on the water, as they are in Shipwrecked, but I think there's a better solution to this: swimming. 

Instead of being able to walk on water, perhaps we should be allowed to swim. Swimming would be slow, especially in comparison to boats, and it would leave you defenceless against enemies. You'll gain wetness rapidly while in the water, making it another way to cool off in summer (or die due to frigid waters in winter and spring.) There could be items that allowed you to swim faster or keep yourself dry, like a wetsuit. A prominent issue, or rather, a character plagued with a host of issues right now is Woodie, as a werebeaver he could swim faster and have immunity to wetness, beavers are semiaquatic mammals for crying out loud! They're proficient at swimming and diving.

Right now with the addition of the oar, you can get 100% wetness in a matter of seconds. Just hop on the boat and fail to paddle several times over and it will build up your wet meter. It's actually really helpful in summer if you decide to stay above ground.

16 minutes ago, The 2C3D said:

Too late. It’s already there, you can splash yourself with oars.

You can't place boats everywhere and crafting enough boats would also take some ressources. But I talked about the suggestion in the topic: You wouldn't need any summer items If you could swim everywhere, just jump into the water and you're immune against summer from the beginning of the game, that would be op.

9 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

You wouldn't need any summer items If you could swim everywhere, just jump into the water and you're immune against summer from the beginning of the game, that would be op.

You can already jump off the plank for +100 wetness and a free teleport to the florid postern.

Adding a very slow swimming is a great idea! Maybe It can also consume your hunger much faster, after all swimming is pretty tiring. If you swim while starving, you'll just drown.

As OP mentioned, the only exception would be the werebeaver, who should be able to use the water to move freely, not gain wetness, move as fast as boats move now (which is not that impressive) and with no hunger penalty.

1 hour ago, YouKnowWho said:

I’m not too sure about swimming. It might take away the whole danger away from the ocean, since you’d could just swim if your boat sank. 

Maybe it’s just me though. 

That’s a valid concern. Outside of the werebeaver, swimming could be restricted to shallow waters, that or your time in the water could be limited without proper equipment, obviously with 100% wetness you won’t make it back to land if you crash in the middle of nowhere, you’ll freeze. Crashing your boat could also just still just straight up kill you, it’s not like there isn’t plenty of time already to put down another boat as a life-raft once you see the boat’s about to break.

There’s another thing, the ocean doesn’t feel very dangerous right now, what with most enemies not being able enough to reach while on the water, or vice versa by telelocating enemies to small floating cells, or being able to walk on the oceans with only fence gates.

I think swimming is a fair mechanic and there'd be plenty of ways to balance it.
I like the idea of swimming costing hunger, and it should also be roughly the same speed as a boat. The difference being a boat is easy to paddle with multiple people or use a sail, but with swimming you're stuck at that sluggish pace. I don't think you should be able to attack while swimming either.

Woodie shouldn't die instantly while swimming but should lose health as well as hunger, and his beaver form should be able to swim with no issue and at a faster pace.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of life being added to the oceans later down the road, so something like swimming probably wouldn't be as safe as it would be right now.

Also my 100th post! Woohoo!

1 hour ago, Mooagain said:

What? How does that work?

When you make a boat there's always a little plank there.

Right click to extend it, click to mount it, right click again to jump into the water.

You spawn at the Portal with 100% wetness. A last chance and seemingly anti griefing mechanic.

6 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

This adds nothing to the actual discussion, but...is it weird that when I first saw the title of this thread, my brain immediately put it to the tune of "Surfin' U.S.A."?

I mean it even scans properly!  XD

...Notorious

not weird to see it from someone with walani as their profile pic hahaha

16 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

This adds nothing to the actual discussion, but...is it weird that when I first saw the title of this thread, my brain immediately put it to the tune of "Surfin' U.S.A."?

I mean it even scans properly!  XD

...Notorious

who's notorious?

Archived