What drives you to play single-player if DST is newer?

Owlrust

- DLC, 2 of which is completely absent in DST. No tropical islands, no mountain plateau, no building your own house, no lamp posts, no coffee, no dripple pipes, or other useful mechanics introduced in SW and HAM. DST has its own cool stuff but none of it even compares to the amount of stuff the DLC's add.

- Adventure mode, which is completely absent in DST.

- Teleportato, which is completely absent in DST.

- Less hand holding and more traditional DS gameplay (no dumbed down ghost resurrection system, no rollbacks, etc)

- Different character mechanics, characters in their original un-nerfed state.

- No reason to play DST really if you’re a solo player. You’re just playing a game with less content and mechanics meant for multiplayer, by yourself. Plus even when playing solo, you still have to put up with lag, and it becomes very noticeable when caves are on.

1. For me it lacks the climate of solo ds

2. Shipwrecked & Hamlet

3. No annyoing random people who just stay in your base 24/7 and tell you their entire story of their life (the ones who will prioritetise telling you 3728 facts about critters over stopping the base from smoldering). 

4. Ruins have their own cave level instead of being in the same ones as caves thus making them more beautiful for me

5. If you die, you die. No ghosts . 

6. More characters

7. Adventure more

8. Our Lord and Saviour Warbucks the Forbidden one , who has been hidden from the people who don't deserve to gaze at his presence and only to be unleashed upon the world with console commands

1 hour ago, Hx380 said:

3. No annyoing random people who just stay in your base 24/7 and tell you their entire story of their life (the ones who will prioritetise telling you 3728 facts about critters over stopping the base from smoldering). 

This.

If I'm not playing at a dedicated server, I usually just go for singleplayer, and casually go for DST for drops.

But if I'm playing at a dedicated server, I'm all for it. (Giving a break for singleplayer)

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

Cause the single player version has thrice as much content and you can take your sweet time with it, since it is not real time.

Minus the fact that people have already modded most of the content of Shipwrecked and Hamlet into DST for free... same with Global Pause and health adjustment.

Klei gave up on Hamlet and are focusing on DST, in the future it will be better to just play DST with the mods of your choice to get all that 'exclusive single player dlc content' for free.

59 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Klei gave up on Hamlet and are focusing on DST

Stop saying this. DS and DST are two separate teams of devs. Klei did not "give up on Hamlet" to "focus on DST". Hamlet went out of early access and then a DST update released soon after, these two events are unrelated to each other.

They haven't even stopped updating Hamlet. Bugs are being fixed at an impressive pace now that focus has shifted from new content, and we still even got a teleportato added just yesterday.

2 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Minus the fact that people have already modded most of the content of Shipwrecked and Hamlet into DST for free... same with Global Pause and health adjustment.

Notify me when dst gets Skyworthy... 

And interiors... 

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Stop saying this. DS and DST are two separate teams of devs. Klei did not "give up on Hamlet" to "focus on DST". Hamlet went out of early access and then a DST update released soon after, these two events are unrelated to each other.

They haven't even stopped updating Hamlet. Bugs are being fixed at an impressive pace

Agreed.

now that focus has shifted from new content, and we still even got a teleportato added just yesterday.

The teleportato has been asked to be added to Hamlet for months though, and was released after the devs were being egged on to add it day or two after release. Funniest thing is, if you spawned in the Teleportato from the original game using console commands, it all worked as intended.

All they had to do was a literal reskin.

No real excuse for that. It's not exactly new content. Every DLC and base game had it, and it's pretty much a necessity for single player DS.

I can play for as long or as short as I want and pause the game if needed.

Crisper response and no need for a good Internet connection or to find a server with low ping

Typically, other players make the game harder and I’m not always up for that

SW and Hamlet are more visual pleasing than ROG and i like building bases in them.

I don't play dst because it is oriented towards coop. profile icons, character background, emotes - not interested in those. One of the many things I hate in DST is raid bosses. It feels like I am playing World of warcraft instead of Don't starve. Of course with mods you can fix everything, but why do that if I already have DS. Don't starve is already oriented towards singleplayer in every way.

- Monster having way more health in DST sounds like a challenge but gets borring over time;

- Poor ping on my country with only one dedicated server;

- No integration with other worlds that offer diferent playstyles like SW;

But i really like somethings in DST:

+ The event's boy i really liked the forge, even though most of the players were a**holes;

+ I actually like the grindy skin system.

I really wish some of the bosses from DST, the manly one beign the fuelweaver, to come do single player DS.

Spoiler

Please klei, at least the fuelwaver.

1. The biggest one for me is that DS has a way better feel and atmosphere to its game play. You alone against the challenges of this unknown world, no one is there to help you. It is just you and your wit. DS is mainly a survival challenge while DST is not.

2. With 3 DLCs, one can have 3 combined world each of which has sublayer world on top of that. Meaning the world of DS can be far bigger than any DST world.

3. The Teleportato and world hopping are such a good feature and to me are far more interesting than the fuelwaver. It means that you can still discover a new world after 1000s of days, which is not possible in DST.

4. Being able to pause the game.

5. Reasonable HP for mobs. Seriously how does DST still not scale the health of mobs with the player number.

6. No Skins. Yes, DS not having skins is a plus for me. DST skins ruin the art style and feel for me.

12 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Why use a Skyworthy when every bit of Shipwrecked and Hamlet content is built into the same world?

Because they clearly dont belong in the same world. It just ruins the atmosphere. It makes such worlds feel very artificially.

16 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

Why play the base games when you could play the co-op version?

ds is just better to me I hate the inflated health bars, I prefer the normal caves/ruins as buggy as shipwrecked is I love exploring it with coffee, fire farms work bigfoot world hopping, skins are cool but dst just feel slower and after the first summer I feel as if I can't deviate and I have to do certain things at certain times or else I'll have to wait a year to do the other things.

DST is fun after all, it is just lacking a little single-player content like Hamlet

mechanics in Shipwrecked which is getting implemented into,

maybe interior in Hamlet as well( not very soon or never due to its size consume is big )

but DST has raid boss content which usually need player Cooperate to work that single player do not have

I like the antlion desert and lazy explorer, cave content, the rope in single player is just so bad and hard to click

also DST exlusive beefalo taming before it's not added in single player

but few main problems I hate playing DST are stated on the posts above

1. No friend to play with( busy or we are at different time zone or I just... don't have... friend... )

2. Laggy( host pc is made by WOOD and connected wire is formed by AIR or wireless connection is still at Stone Age version )

2 hours ago, gghhrr said:

...the rope in single player is just so bad and hard to click

If you are near the rope you can simply press the action key (default spacebar) to clime it.

Archived