Plushical

Why Wagstaff Should NOT be Added

Ploosh    1

Personally, I want each game to have some of their own characters. Mainly to give variety and a reason to buy both of the games, and not just one.

Growey    52
2 hours ago, Raspberry Shake said:

Klei stated Wormwood is getting reworked, and so is Warly. We can imagine the same thing would happen for Wagstaff, making his inventions more balanced and useful for singleplayer. The reason I voted for Wagstaff was for both that jucy, jucy lore, the fact that I like his personality as a character, and his interesting and creative playstyle which I enjoy.

Also Wormwood is superior to Wheeler, see above in "unique and creative playstyle"

Is Wormwood getting reworked though ? They said that they will add him to DST, nothing about changing him.

• Like 2

Chris1448    12,671
10 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Not to mention you can only have one location active at a time, and it's one-way. You'll still have to sail to get there to place it, and then sail back once you teleport to it. Moot point.

It's not one way. You can place two telipads(or telelocators) at the start and end points, then stand directly on top of the structure and activate to teleport back and forth between both areas. Not many people know this is a feature.
So technically OP is right, you theoretically only need one trip, but it still requires some level of maintenance either way with mass crafting telebrellas or refilling the telelocators with purple gems each time.

• Like 3

Zeklo    14,847
6 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

It's not one way. You can place two telipads(or telelocators) at the start and end points, then stand directly on top of the structure and activate to teleport back and forth between both areas. Not many people know this is a feature.
So technically OP is right, you theoretically only need one trip, but it still requires some level of maintenance either way with mass crafting telebrellas or refilling the telelocators with purple gems each time.

Curious. There's also the matter of distance, due to a limited range. Plus if the Lunar Island & a different location (in this example, the Oasis) are too close together then you'll only be able to have a single set of portals (out side of different shards), lest they intertwine and you randomly travel between them and end up wasting materials.

• Like 1

Chris1448    12,671
3 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Curious. There's also the matter of distance, due to a limited range. Plus if the Lunar Island & a different location (in this example, the Oasis) are too close together then you'll only be able to have a single set of portals (out side of different shards), lest they intertwine and you randomly travel between them and end up wasting materials.

Distance is a valid issue. If the Lunar Island is far enough from the mainland, you can't teleport back and forth from it. But I can't really see that being an issue when the telipad's range spans at least half of a map.
As for the Lunar Island and other point being an issue, the telipad, to my knowledge, prioritizes the closest pad when choosing where to go. So yeah, if another point of interest is too close to the lunar island setup, it'll mess up the priority of the first telipad.

• Like 2

TurtleKitty    1,087

Blatant bias, self-contradiction, viability policing . . . you must be real fun at parties Plush. 

• Like 1

Russian Philin    3,997

I want Wagstaff!I hope they add it to the game. I want him! This is a very good character+he's important in the lore.

• Like 3

Prajdo    43
19 hours ago, Plushical said:

Anyway, I guess we'll start with the most obvious problem- the revolutionary Thumper. You can plant 39 Pinecones around it, essentially meaning you can grow up to 39 Evergreens - and destroy them all plus their stumps in 6 seconds.

That's exactly why i want him to be added! And after building that I'm gonna switch for other character immediately xD

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

ShadowDuelist    2,943

Personally (and thus this is entirely a personal opinion) I felt Wagstaff was a boring character in the long run, maybe because I have a different playstyle or havent found yet interesting stuff to do as him, his glasses mechanic was too annoying for me to work around it.

I can see the benefits his inventions would bring to DST though, I just hope he doesn't become that character someone has to mandatory log in as because "We NEED to craft the telipads ASAP because its the only and most efficient way to move around". Usually the game offers several ways to do things, his telipad offers a strong benefit too cheaply that would be hard to replace otherwise.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if he gets added (and perhaps if they nerf his telipads, better) but I'm probably not playing as him as I find him boring and annoying in his current state (unless he is made more interesting at DST). And this is not something I feel with Wormwood or Warly, which I can't wait to play as on DST.