Sasza22    1,889

Interesting idea. But how would we affect the plants? Critters change due to diet and tmeperture. Plants have a low temperature range and don`t "eat" anything. What would we have to do to mutate them? Maybe a special profession?

Akomis    11

I was thinking about same mechanics as with critters. For example, plant A tolerate temperature 10-30 C, O2/CO2/poluted_O2 as atmosphere, etc. Right now it has chance to produce a seed to expand farm. So this seed could be of different variant and affected like current creatures, e.g.: it can have 30% chance to produce seed variant_A, and 1% - for variant_B and variant_C. But each cycle plant had O2 atmosphere it could give +10% chance for variant_B. Temperature is 25-30? Another +15% for variant C. Gas pressure, light presense could affect plants, even ones that dont care about it. Something like that could work, i guess.

• Like 1

situpc    39
Posted (edited)

I really like this idea. They could take some inspiration from real life and have certain mutations be sterile, or when A is planted next to B it has a chance to drop a seed for C. Also dupes could find exotic plants from space missions. Also something should be done with decorative plants, I hate that you can't reproduce them. 

Edited by situpc

goboking    1,353
On 5/18/2019 at 12:00 PM, Sasza22 said:

Interesting idea. But how would we affect the plants?

Through the power of science! 

fabricator_seed_splicer_0.png.4a2196ded0

Credit: @watermelen671 for the pic.

• Thanks 1

minespatch    51,674
9 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

I'll do ya one better

Think that device will be in the full edition?

Sasza22    1,889

A late game option to modify the plants would be fun. A specialized machine requiring advanced materials (plastic, refined metal) and a high level dupe job (requiring seasoned farmer and tenured scientist).

AndreyKl    78
Posted (edited)
On 18.05.2019 at 8:00 PM, Sasza22 said:

Interesting idea. But how would we affect the plants? Critters change due to diet and tmeperture. Plants have a low temperature range and don`t "eat" anything. What would we have to do to mutate them? Maybe a special profession?

There is a number of ways that plants can be affected: 

1. Through critters (bugs spreading pollen or something like that)
  2. Through tending (as long as plant is fertilized with specific things - just specify fertilizer in farm tile. Fertilizers can be locked behind some research, or may be just build a 2 tiles wide planting tile, place a plant, wait)
  3. Through environment and adaptation(gasses, liquids, temperature, light, may be by simply keeping plant in borderline harsh environment or by tending to plant with something like 'anti-freeze' mixtures in cold environment and plants adapting later)
  4. Through science (3-4 posts above, nice art!)
Edited by AndreyKl