Toggle/Opt out for certain mob visuals

As stated somewhere in the update, it said

Our Survivors will be forced to contend with terrifying monstrosities beyond their comprehension

This means that we are going to be getting more mutated creatures, and yes the 'toggle switch' / client mod could fix this, it would ruin the experience of fighting terrifying monsters. I don't need to be told again because I completely understand that this is inappropriate for some viewers players, but I believe that there is also a thrill aspect to this. So you can disable the visuals in whatever way it will be possible, but the full experience will not be complete

19 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

The update is based off Lovecraft. The father of insane mind bending monsters.

...except that's not really Lovecraft. Lovecraft was a firm subscriber to the fear of the unknown, and most of his "monsters" were eldritch entities that were indescribable, hence, unknown.

Also, if it were based on Lovecraftian horror, I'm pretty sure there would also need to be at least 78% more racism, sexism, and xenophobia. Dude was considered SUPER racist even during the time he was alive, and he barely hid his hatred for anybody who's not male, darker than Pantone 727, and not of what he considered "good breeding" in his writings.

It's impossible to create something based off of Lovecraftian horror without those elements, as they are unfortunately what makes them work.

Spoiler

Also, HP Lovecraft did say the following regarding his works:

Now all my tales are based on the fundamental premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large. To me there is nothing but puerility in a tale in which the human form—and the local human passions and conditions and standards—are depicted as native to other worlds or other universes. To achieve the essence of real externality, whether of time or space or dimension, one must forget that such things as organic life, good and evil, love and hate, and all such local attributes of a negligible and temporary race called mankind, have any existence at all. Only the human scenes and characters must have human qualities. These must be handled with unsparing realism, (not catch-penny romanticism) but when we cross the line to the boundless and hideous unknown—the shadow-haunted Outside—we must remember to leave our humanity and terrestrialism at the threshold.

...that doesn't really mesh well with Don't Starve, now does it.

In all honesty I believe that the world of Don't Starve closely follows Gothic Horror rather than Lovecraftian Horror.

I mean, there's an item in the game called "tell tale heart", for crying out loud! Poe is a notable Gothic poet, and it doesn't get anymore on the nose than that. :wilson_ecstatic:

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

You mean toggle like in the starting a new biome type of menu?

I was thinking a worldgen toggle, like for other mobs. That way, when you start a world, you can set the horror versions of monsters to "Yes" (default) or "No." I think that would be an easy enough addition and would make everyone happy. :)

Personally I LOVE the look. I like that DST is taking a harder and more horror oriented route. However, I respect others opinions. With how easy it is to make mods for DST, I don't think anyone should fret. You're bound to get your wish in no time either way. 

With that being said, there is MUCH more explicit content in other rated "T" games, and Klei shouldn't second guess themselves because of a vocal minority. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1745307125

Me and a friend made a mod in response to this thread that reskins these mobs.

I still personally think Klei should add some warning of some sort and a toggle for graphics like these. A lot of players might not know whether a mod for it exists or not. Console players don't get access to mods at all.

20 hours ago, butlerkitties said:

I completely agree with this. I like this idea a lot. Then, if people REALLY want to see them, they could make a mod for it, like they did with Long Pig.

he was joking... you know that, right?

15 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I still personally think Klei should add some warning of some sort and a toggle for graphics like these. A lot of players might not know whether a mod for it exists or not. Console players don't get access to mods at all.

YO PEOPLE THIS IS HERE THAT'S ALL WE NEED NOW LET ME KEEP MY NIGHTMARE HOUNDS DARN IT I JUST DON'T WANT ANOTHER WARBUCKS INCIDENT

9 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

YO PEOPLE THIS IS HERE THAT'S ALL WE NEED NOW LET ME KEEP MY NIGHTMARE HOUNDS DARN IT I JUST DON'T WANT ANOTHER WARBUCKS INCIDENT

I really don't want them to REMOVE the horror hounds. I really like them. They give the lunar islands this feeling that there's just so much that isn't right with it, which is a good thing considering its nature. I just think it'd be good to make them TOGGLABLE so that the people that are troubled by them don't have to completely avoid all this new content, while those that enjoy them get to keep them. It's all really cool and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on them because of something they can't control.

I dont get it, nobody said to get rid of them. Just to have an option/alternative. It does not hurt your preference.

Also, can we not insult people's mental health? Really. I hate seeing quaint suggestion posts attract such negativity 

41 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

I dont get it, nobody said to get rid of them. Just to have an option/alternative. It does not hurt your preference.

Also, can we not insult people's mental health? Really. I hate seeing quaint suggestion posts attract such negativity 

Exactly, I think it'd be nice if they had a toggle option in the main menue to turn them off if someone desired. Ultimately though I feel as though they should stay in game (unless toggled) as to not take away from the grotesque feel of the moon! 

I think the designs are amazing and should really stay within the game unless a player wants to manually turn them off.

I'm afraid of spiders, can Klei please add a toggle to remove Webber and spiders?  Thanks.

On a serious note, I think this is pretty ridiculous.  I get the feeling the people really concerned by this have never touched the ruins for some reason, because some of the stuff down there is pretty on par.  And, if you can ignore that content, you can ignore the new stuff too.

15 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

I'm afraid of spiders, can Klei please add a toggle to remove Webber and spiders?  Thanks.

On a serious note, I think this is pretty ridiculous.  I get the feeling the people really concerned by this have never touched the ruins for some reason, because some of the stuff down there is pretty on par.  And, if you can ignore that content, you can ignore the new stuff too.

It's been established already that these new designs are on a different level of gore... For certain people, it's too much. Might not be for you, it's not for me either. Again, there's nothing wrong with suggesting a toggle, where gore fans and non-gore fans can be happy. Please refrain from patronizing jokes at the expense of sincere concern.

10 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

It's been established already that these new designs are on a different level of gore... For certain people, it's too much. Might not be for you, it's not for me either. Again, there's nothing wrong with suggesting a toggle, where gore fans and non-gore fans can be happy. Please refrain from patronizing jokes at the expense of sincere concern.

Nobody complained about the ruins nightmare cycle content, which is pretty is on par with the horror mobs added in this update.  And, what if I am deathly afraid of spiders?  Aren't you then patronizing my concern with Webber and the excess in spider content?  People who have wanted actual helpful changes to the game for the longest of time have been told that they should "just use mods to solve your issues".  I see this as no different, as there's already a mod to solve this issue with the game's content.  They're very easy to install, and cover this issue entirely.  Besides, they likely will have a toggle in world-gen, but I'm betting this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of horror-mob designs.  Might as well just not play the content in the first place, like these people apparently did with the ruins.

13 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

Nobody complained about the ruins nightmare cycle content, which is pretty is on par with the horror mobs added in this update.

But is it though? The closest thing to body horror down there is the number of teeth in Splumonkey mouths. It kind of feels like this is just an attempt to assert yourself as "more experienced" than the people bothered by this, in an attempt to invalidate their request.

5 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

But is it though? The closest thing to body horror down there is the number of teeth in Splumonkey mouths. It kind of feels like this is just an attempt to assert yourself as "more experienced" than the people bothered by this, in an attempt to invalidate their request.

Perhaps not the body horror, but the statues and such during the nightmare cycle get pretty spooky.  I'm fine with the toggle every other mob has, but once again, I'd guess a good deal of the new content will revolve around these new horror mobs, and I don't want this to basically halt Klei from continuing down this design path.  And even then still, all of my prior points still stand.  If it's that big of an issue, client-side mod is your friend.

34 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

Perhaps not the body horror, but the statues and such during the nightmare cycle get pretty spooky.  I'm fine with the toggle every other mob has, but once again, I'd guess a good deal of the new content will revolve around these new horror mobs, and I don't want this to basically halt Klei from continuing down this design path.  And even then still, all of my prior points still stand.

That's the entire point. The body horror is the issue. Not the mildly unsettling attributes of the ruins. 

Again and again it's been said on this thread. No one wants to force Klei's hand, or cause them to change these looks which some players, myself included, enjoy. It's merely to provide a means of working around it for those who don't. It's also been said that an in-game toggle would be handy for those who can't use mods—console players. Your previous argument "stands" on the premise that helpful changes haven't come in the past so they apparently just should never. That's absurd. 

Just now, Mario384 said:

Perhaps not the body horror, but the statues and such during the nightmare cycle get pretty spooky.  I'm fine with the toggle every other mob has, but once again, I'd guess a good deal of the new content will revolve around these new horror mobs, and I don't want this to basically halt Klei from continuing down this design path.  And still, all of my prior points still stand.

Well, spooky isn't the problem. The mutated mobs aren't just spooky, they've got visible organs, or mouths that go all the way to their legs. It's not the kind of thing that some people are just afraid of, it's the kind of thing that their brains cannot handle seeing.

And nobody's been suggesting that these mobs should be removed from the game entirely, that would be silly. This thread and the people in it have been politely requesting a toggle for the textures of these mobs. People against this keep acting like it's asking for the mobs to be removed entirely, which nobody is asking for.

It's really weird how people come out of the woodwork in reaction to threads like this just to establish themselves as mentally superior, when there was no threat to their sensibilities. There is literally no point in arguing about it, except to only make people feel bad, which is terrible.

Well, it's nice that there's a mod for the toggle now. I wonder if Klei will take this feedback into consideration. It is still in beta, a lot can change due to player input and I'm excited to see where it goes!

31 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

if these mobs are people's idea of "gore" then I urge you to stay cuddled in your bedroom playing dont starve.

This is a civil forum, not a place for callous insults to people you've never met.

With that said, I think that it is Klei's choice to continue with this new, darker theme, abandon it, or make it toggle-able. This content is in early access, so it is our duty as testers to give our feedback, no matter how scathing or praising the review. It is not however, within reason for other testers to discount another's opinion on any part of the beta as invalid. If someone posts an opinion you do not hold, you may reply explaining why you hold a different opinion, but you should not attempt to discredit the other poster's experience.

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

Thank you for your service!! I'm sending this around to friends on discord, because while I like the new visuals, this's going to make playing possible again for them!

Archived