helioboros

Toggle/Opt out for certain mob visuals

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YouKnowWho said:

It's just an example. No need to build up a strawman here.

Besides, I'm not even arguing against a toggle. Everybody should be able to enjoy Don't Starve, it's a great game. But making a change everybody has to deal with to the base game is a lot more detrimental than something simple like a toggle or a mod. 

And, well, though it may sound silly, people like the gory visuals. 

Agreed, I most definitely do not think the dev team needs to scrap these awesome designs.

Edited by deludeddaybreak
  • Like 3

Daxterr    302

Oh my god what could be so bad that it warrants a 2 page long discussion about removing it?

Would someone be able to link me a picture? This has got me super curious.

• Like 1

ZeRoboButler    21
Posted (edited)

It's funny in a way, linking it in this discussion seems like it could cause some distress based off the overall perspective so... not sure if their is some sort of "spoiler" tag I can use to not reveal the image to much. Im sure you can find it in one of the other forums like the one that data mines the images. ill try to find a link to it. 

But in my honest opinion of the subject... Klei entertainment has stated that is loves this community and its willingness to cooperate, its general excitement for new things, and experiencing the world they have created. since they said that they wanted to release the updates in a non-dlc format to avoid separation of players, there is no doubt in my mind that the designs will be acknowledged in some way so as not to upset those with a... "uncomfortable disposition" towards these mobs, and this is a good thing seeing as how this most likely is not the end of these "Horror mobs". We are more than likely to see more monstrous versions of beast and critters. (im a bit exited for this... just a little...). 

WARNING: for those of you who find the new mobs mutated skin variants to be unpleasant, do not click here, this is for clarification purposes only.   

Spoiler

hound_mutated.png.d2ef54a6af3c2e0bbfabb395852b9f82.pngpenguin_mutated.png.39d9fc1bc5bc665cf7a4d97fea69418a.png

WARNING: for those of you who find the new mobs mutated skin variants to be unpleasant, do not click here, this is for clarification purposes only. 

Although now that I look at them... I can understand the discomfort, I'm not bothered but I see where others are coming from.

Edited by ZeRoboButler
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CaptainChaotica    3,999
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, CameoAppearance said:

It's not particularly rare for people to be upset or nauseated by gory-looking monsters even if they're okay with non-gory dark content, and the horror hounds really are a lot more gruesome than any visuals previously included in the game.

THANK.  YOU.  Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping somebody would say--that it's possible to like dark stuff, dark tones, even specifically Lovecraftian stuff* without liking _gross_ stuff.  I don't know what it is, but there's something specifically about body horror which just ICKs me faster than anything.  Even when it's cartoony, such as Klaus having _a chained MOUTH ON HIS STOMACH_, or obviously fake, such as that horrible Photoshopped picture with the holes in the fingers, and if you look that up it's your own darn fault.

For me, with the hounds, it's not so much that they're _skinless_, as that they look like their already-huge mouths (seriously, when a hound dies, what you see is MOUTH TONGUE TEETH vestigial body attached underneath) go _all the way to the backs of their bodies_.  That doesn't look like ribs to me. They're SEPERATE PIECES, top and bottom...so they look like TEETH!  They even overlap like teeth when the horror hound dies...

Actual skinless wouldn't be so bad; it'd just look like one of those Inside-Out-Man things, with the muscles showing and such.  Regular zombie look wouldn't be so bad.  THIS is drawn in such a way that I can't tell whether it's (relatively) normal bone structure or EEEEEWWW WHAT IS THAT GET IT AWAY IT SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE!, and that's what gets me.  _If the bone parts inside the torso weren't SEPERATED_, it'd be a normal falling-apart zombie and would be so much better.  (I mean, we're all used to zombies by now.  I don't even LIKE them and I've still got several bits of media I DO like, that happen to _contain_ zombies, such as Organ Trail, Plague Inc. Evolved, the Rebuild trilogy, the anime Zombieland Saga, and the Discworld and Xanth books.)  But this looks like they have an already huge mouth.....and then even more mouth, going even _further_ back into the torso.  It's like they're completely _made_ out of WANTING TO EAT YOU.

All I know is, if I run into one of those things in my game I'm NOPEing away from the computer as fast as possible...and there goes the run, 'cos, ya know, unpauseable online game.  Whoops.  (Or, even if I shut the game down _properly_ right away, there STILL goes the run, 'cos I ain't continuing that particular world, knowing I'll be immediately greeted by THAT once it finishes loading...)

...Notorious

*I've got Darkest Dungeon in my Steam library, guys, including the "Colour of Madness" DLC, which is directly based off "The Colour From Out of Space", a story that freaked the CRAP out of me. 

Spoiler

It's got animals and people slowly turning to dust WHILE STILL ALIVE, mutating horribly and going insane, screaming and screaming and SCREAMING in agony for _days_ while people who theoretically COULD help them just sit there and listen, so...I think I'm justified in being creeped out by it, regardless of the story's age.  Literal.  NIGHTMARE!  FUEL!  I have never yelled "Why.  Don't.  You.  LEAVE?!!!!" at a page so hard in my life.

But I've still got that content in a game that I actively play, and, in fact, I also _crossed over_ the two games on purpose when I downloaded and used the "Darkest Forge" mod.  Heh.

Edited by CaptainChaotica

Skorne    245

Not necessary. If you're genuinely some kind of mental case and get upset over this, the content is in fact optional.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

-Variant    3,370
2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Actual skinless wouldn't be so bad; it'd just look like one of those Inside-Out-Man things, with the muscles showing and such.  Regular zombie look wouldn't be so bad.  THIS is drawn in such a way that I can't tell whether it's (relatively) normal bone structure or EEEEEWWW WHAT IS THAT GET IT AWAY IT SHOULDN'T BE ALIVE!, and that's what gets me.  _If the bone parts inside the torso weren't SEPERATED_, it'd be a normal falling-apart zombie and would be so much better.  (I mean, we're all used to zombies by now.  I don't even LIKE them and I've still got several bits of media I DO like, that happen to _contain_ zombies, such as Organ Trail, Plague Inc. Evolved, the Rebuild trilogy, the anime Zombieland Saga, and the Discworld and Xanth books.)  But this looks like they have an already huge mouth.....and then even more mouth, going even _further_ back into the torso.  It's like they're completely _made_ out of WANTING TO EAT YOU.

Looking at it, it's not skinless or anything. It's just hairless, with some cysts and bloating in the skin. Ya' know, mutated.

It's eyes are blind/dried out and for the most part, it's just a regular hound. The mouth seems to be about the same size, just you can see more of it.
These things are so cool, I think it's just a hairless hound.

Side note not directed at anyone: These Hounds aren't like Wolves or anything, but they're actual Hellhounds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Da Capo    24
42 minutes ago, Skorne said:

No, they don't. If a game has content you don't like, don't play that content, it really is that simple.

No it isn't that simple. This trend of design (exploding whales aside) is new to the game. They paid for the product just as you and I did before this stuff was included, being unable to experience the new stuff due to psychological reasons of all things would be quite unfair. Do you think a gore/disturbing content toggle is an unreasonable request? It's clear that the Horror Hounds and Pengulls won't be the end of this design trend, which I like, but try to see things from other people's perspective. People would be happy if the toggle just made them look like different coloured Hounds/Pengulls anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Santosario    67
7 minutes ago, Da Capo said:

No it isn't that simple. This trend of design (exploding whales aside) is new to the game. They paid for the product just as you and I did before this stuff was included, being unable to experience the new stuff due to psychological reasons of all things would be quite unfair. Do you think a gore/disturbing content toggle is an unreasonable request? It's clear that the Horror Hounds and Pengulls won't be the end of this design trend, which I like, but try to see things from other people's perspective. People would be happy if the toggle just made them look like different coloured Hounds/Pengulls anyway.

Well you just said it, this is extra content, if they don´t like it make a mod or disable hounds and pengulls or don't go to the moon isle at all. Remember that our triggers are our responsability

• Like 1

Alfons100    303
Posted (edited)

I had a feeling Don't Starve would go the "Bloodborne" route where things really become messed up

In one hand, cute Saladmanders, in the other hand, zombie hounds!

Edited by Alfons100
  • Like 3