ONI Launch Date Moving to July

6 minutes ago, Turalyon said:

Getting a Duke Nukem Forever Flashback *shudder*

You should be thinking starcraft.

duke nukem had plenty of other red flags that I'm certain you've learned to pick up on by now. That project basically went defunct a few times.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, chemie said:

It is a sandbox game and you can play however you you enjoy.  

Very much so. I really don't get people that to play as "it was designed to play". Is this some kind of virtue-signalling perhaps?

Anyways, the very point of a sandbox game is to find your own approaches and style and there is nothing right or wrong as long as it works. There is no "best" way to play it and no safety in playing it as others do. In fact, you lose most of the potential enjoyment you could have had by seeing your own creations work.

28 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I really don't get people that to play as "it was designed to play".

Some people don't control themselves in use of unlimited power with creative , debug, sandbox mode or whatever is the name in survival games. I don't use sandbox or debug in the saves I'm playing survival because small fixes to adjust problems can slope to abuse of those tools and ruin the entire experience afterwards. Everything lose purpose and putting the same type of effort managing boring needed tasks seems kinda dumb when you can turn on the super power mode.

There is nothing wrong with that, absolutely. It's just how one can feel after using those tools to the point of losing interest in a game.

Ofc it is an individual problem to do with personal self control. I played Minecraft for many many years in survival only and when I became mod from the private server I used to play it ruined the experience for me. Small fair uses of power gave me a different perspective of the game, the magic was gone. My Minecraft experience ended sadly: I corrupted myself in the use of that power to acquire insignificant advantages that were enough to make me stop playing the game. As a hoarder, what's the point of mining for hours if I can summon any resources I want with a simple command? In ONI, there is no drama using that tool to remove abyssalite as there is no other way to get rid of it. But hey, will I manage that boring separation of many gasses in survival If I can just sneak-use sandbox/debug and instantly solve the problem? No, I won't control myself if I start with that and ultimately it will ruin the game for me.

:) Thanks for letting us know! Sad to return to waiting, but I'd much much rather you guys take the time you need to polish it and make it a more enjoyable experience than releasing it in a broken state. :D Glad to know as well that we'll get to test run it in June too! Was hoping you guys would let us beta it. Now, to return to my anxious (and excited) waiting!

On 5/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, Gurgel said:

You have that in basically every engineering field: Small companies doing the hardcore stuff and doing it well. Large companies failing at much easier projects or doing them badly. 

Alas, such is the effect of public companies with stockholders. The stockholders want their money NOW NOW NOW NOW and don't care if the final product is shoddy so long as they get their money immediately. Never mind that they're likely to make MORE money in the long run if they have some patience and let the company make better quality products (as that will increase customer trust which in turn hopefully expands the customer base number. Additionally, people are willing to pay more for quality products, generally). At least, that's how it works in the US. Unsure about other nations.

4 hours ago, KieraGreywolf said:

Alas, such is the effect of public companies with stockholders. The stockholders want their money NOW NOW NOW NOW and don't care if the final product is shoddy so long as they get their money immediately. Never mind that they're likely to make MORE money in the long run if they have some patience and let the company make better quality products (as that will increase customer trust which in turn hopefully expands the customer base number. Additionally, people are willing to pay more for quality products, generally). At least, that's how it works in the US. Unsure about other nations.

Ah, yes, the classical toxic combination of greed, stupidity and no patience. Kills societies in the end.

Like most people already. I'm relieved to hear you guys postponed the launch date.

The original deadline was simply too soon considering the game's developing cycle and the scale planned for the release. 

The preview is a good call too. New contents without a preview? It's just not the ONI way of handling it.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the 1.0. 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:22 PM, Nightinggale said:

The game is still counting down to the 28th of May. I wonder what will happen when the counter reach 0. Will we get -1 day on the 29th or will they actually update the game.

And the game just updated to say next release in in July.

6 hours ago, hoangrangho said:

At least let us know, what the update is that

Would you prefer to know what`s in the update but be unable to play for one and a half month or not know anything? I think i`d be more hyped if i knew less. But i`d like if they posted a random critter as a teaser without saying what is it and what it does.

6 hours ago, hoangrangho said:

At least let us know, what the update is that

They already told us that ages ago.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:35 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

In late May, we will be coming out of Early Access with new content (3 new biomes, new creatures, new buildings, and more), and official mod support, making it possible for players to create game content of their own.

They changed the date, but the rest is still the same. They actively decided not to tell us more, presumably because that gives them more freedom to modify the plan if they encounter problems or get new ideas.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

Would you prefer to know what`s in the update but be unable to play for one and a half month or not know anything? I think i`d be more hyped if i knew less.

That too.

36 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

They already told us that ages ago.

They changed the date, but the rest is still the same. They actively decided not to tell us more, presumably because that gives them more freedom to modify the plan if they encounter problems or get new ideas.

That too.

I'm fine with knowing 3 new biomes, new creatures, new buildings, and more.  That should be enough to keep us going for a few more weeks.

We should also dampen our expectations that the game will effectively launch at the end of July. It all depends on how well the testing phase at the end of next month goes. If the game has to be delayed again, they should and not try to rush to meet the deadline.

15 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

We should also dampen our expectations that the game will effectively launch at the end of July. It all depends on how well the testing phase at the end of next month goes. If the game has to be delayed again, they should and not try to rush to meet the deadline.

It really depends on how much extra stuff they actually have. If the new biomes are not that "new", it is not much of an issue. If they change the game strongly or fundamentally, it is quite possible that it needs more time. In that case, I hope they take that time. I am quite happy with more previews.

2 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

This gives me Starcraft 2 vibes. "We are on the final stretch" - game releases 1 year later.

9 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

This gives me Starcraft 2 vibes. "We are on the final stretch" - game releases 1 year later.

It could be worse. You could have compared to a game, which turned out to be a disappointment. Something like Spore, which not only had horrible DRM restrictions, it also had built hype based on screenshots of contents, which ended up being cut from the release. To make matters worse, the cut content has never been released, not even as a DLC. What was released didn't really live up to the hype either because the 5 stages were not really connected and ended up as 5 different games. Looking at each stage as a standalone game and they each become... let's just say not masterpieces. Putting 5 mediocre games into one package and calling it one game doesn't make a great game.

I have seen no indication that anything like this will happen to ONI. In fact the delay is an indication of the opposite: that quality actually matter to the release. Sure I would like the final release now, but ONI (particularly with the continued releases of mods) is playable for years and next year it will no longer matter which month it was released this year.

44 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

ONI (particularly with the continued releases of mods) is playable for years and next year it will no longer matter which month it was released this year.

Indeed. I was holding off on starting a new game because of the May launch, but now with the delay I just started a new game on a mod mega map. Tons of fun! Also commercially Klei can get revenue for years to come through all sorts of DLC. The game is relative timeless as well. The choice of graphics makes sure the game will not feel outdated any time soon.

Therefore it is so vital the game gets launched in a pristine state. That day 1 buzz is so vital as it will lay the customer base for years to come. They need to get it right from the get go to get high value out of this game.

6 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Indeed. I was holding off on starting a new game because of the May launch, but now with the delay I just started a new game on a mod mega map.

I'm so torn. Part of me wants to keep going with the game I have because I STILL have never launched a rocket, but I spent three weeks away from my colony and now I can't remember what I was doing when I left and so part of me wants to just start a new one now that I know I have a good chunk of time until release. LOL

Is it odd that the game's not even fully out yet and I'm already excited about what the DLC will be? Kinda hoping for the ability to transport your whole colony to a new astroid/planet with even more new biomes so you can 'start a new colony', but within the same game and with new conditions/resources/diseases to have to figure out.

14 hours ago, KieraGreywolf said:

Is it odd that the game's not even fully out yet and I'm already excited about what the DLC will be? 

Not at all. The addition of new stuff has kept the game fresh during early access, I really hope they will continue that for some iterations via DLCs.

On 17.5.2019 at 11:49 PM, goboking said:

/devestated

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather you guys release the game when it's ready as opposed to when it's due, but I've been ticking down the days 'till release for a while now and another 1.5 months of waiting is gonna be soul crushing.

Do you have a terminal disease and is going to die in 1 month or something?

Otherwise you don't really deserve anything but ridicule for this post.

Us that have no set death date, have unlimited time to wait for things, because when we finally die we are not going to give a crap if we missed something, so pull yourself together.

27 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Do you have a terminal disease and is going to die in 1 month or something?

Otherwise you don't really deserve anything but ridicule for this post.

Us that have no set death date, have unlimited time to wait for things, because when we finally die we are not going to give a crap if we missed something, so pull yourself together.

If you want to understand the struggle, see the Persona 5 release debacle.

Spoiler

Or the whole KH3 dumpster fire.

And there's no need to be so rude. Dude was hyped for the release, and now they're sad that it was delayed. They're still excited for the release, but the wait is going to be hard for someone who's really excited to play the new content. There is no need to put them on blast and be disrespectful. 

Take a deep breath, maybe make yourself a cup of your favorite beverage, and have a long swig. Now that you've taken a moment hopefully you've cooled down and are ready to return to the forums and be more respectful to everybody. 

Archived