Return of Data Mining, Art Assets, Model Dumping & More! (SPOILERS!)

I found something super interesting in the files.

image.thumb.png.5dbc066684f52345521f87f8c0be1db4.png

I found this "boatai" component in the game files, Right now no entity/prefab uses it and it seems to be an unfinished/unused component.

But reading the code here, it looks like boats with the component search for another boat(actually a mast, but same thing), and then put up it's own mast and start to sail in the direction of the boat/mast they found.

I'm thinking this might be for a pirate ship enemy possibly? That search around for player boats to head in their direction and attack.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Hornete said:

I found something super interesting in the files.

I found this "boatai" component in the game files, Right now no entity/prefab uses it and it seems to be an unfinished/unused component.

But reading the code here, it looks like boats with the component search for another boat(actually a mast, but same thing), and then put up it's own mast and start to sail in the direction of the boat/mast they found.

I'm thinking this might be for a pirate ship enemy possibly? That search around for player boats to head in their direction and attack.

From the looks of it. It's just the "AI" for when you're maneuvering the boat.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

From the looks of it. It's just the "AI" for when you're maneuvering the boat.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, No entity in the game uses this component and as I mentioned it looks like a component that's meant to make a boat do certain things on it's own such as chase other boats. Hence why I would think it might be an unfinished component for a pirate ship enemy of some sorts.

• Like 1

Just now, Hornete said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, No entity in the game uses this component and as I mentioned it looks like a component that's meant to make a boat do certain things on it's own such as chase other boats. Hence why I would think it might be an unfinished component for a pirate ship enemy of some sorts.

The entity that uses that component is the mast. It's the coding for how the sail moves the boat.

Just now, watermelen671 said:

The entity that uses that component is the mast. It's the coding for how the sail moves the boat.

I dunno about you, but I don't see any artifical intelligence in a mast.
image.thumb.png.2db4c7be19c3235c10ac882f4cd67d72.png
Nothing in the game's code uses this component, It's simply an unfinished/unused component sitting here, The mast prefab does not have this component.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I dunno about you, but I don't see any artifical intelligence in a mast.
image.thumb.png.2db4c7be19c3235c10ac882f4cd67d72.png
Nothing in the game's code uses this component, It's simply an unfinished/unused component sitting here, The mast prefab does not have this component.

What does "boi" mean in this context? - English Language & Usage ...

if v ~= self.inst and target_mast_component ~= nil and target_mast_component.is_sail_raised then
    		self.inst.components.hull.mast.components.mast:RaiseSail()
    		local target_boat_position = Vector3(v.Transform:GetWorldPosition())
    		local target_move_position = target_boat_position + target_mast_component.wind_direction * 10    		
    		local my_new_wind_dir = (target_move_position - my_position):Normalize()
    		self.inst.components.hull.mast.components.mast.wind_direction = my_new_wind_dir

From what I can tell, this basically means:

If mast is raised, raise sail, then boat moves.

Boat moves in wind direction.

If player moves wind direction (by steering boat), it becomes new wind direction.

5 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

snip

Ignoring the fact your observation on what the code does is completely wrong, I literally show you right here the boatai component is not used anywhere

image.thumb.png.2db4c7be19c3235c10ac882f4cd67d72.png.5e159a30c08e3172dac0bfdb924af79f.png

You may go into the mast.lua prefab file for yourself and see if the boatai component is added.

5 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

What does "boi" mean in this context? - English Language & Usage ...

There's nothing that uses the boatai component though... The only references to "boatai" are contained within the component itself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Ignoring the fact your observation on what the code does is completely wrong, I literally show you right here the boatai component is not used anywhere

image.thumb.png.2db4c7be19c3235c10ac882f4cd67d72.png.5e159a30c08e3172dac0bfdb924af79f.png

You may go into the mast.lua prefab file for yourself and see if the boatai component is added.

10 minutes ago, Tosh said:

There's nothing that uses the boatai component though... The only references to "boatai" are contained within the component itself.

Oh my god, I don't think I can spell it out any clearer...

Pin on Reagan's stuff :3

The reason it's not in the prefab file is because the boatai CALLS the target not the other way around. The prefab is just a prefab, it ain't tellin you how the boat's gonna move. That boatai however, DOES tell you how the boat's gonna move, specifically in coordination with the mast, sail, and what direction the player is steering in.

Also @minespatch here's those Culinarian skins you were looking for:

Spoiler

waxwell_cook.png.a1c50f706d08e3a22f6cc34b5033b989.pngwebber_cook.thumb.png.d9472dc7b47df3333db9d419278844c6.pngwendy_cook.thumb.png.2ae8254d6b3c1bb2fc2d48009f24a09c.pngwes_cook.png.b06dc5a0f94516bc77ed9ccc61cf0a55.pngwickerbottom_cook.png.036435ca81438c2eea673a04d54db4dd.pngwigfrid_cook.thumb.png.64c643b65cd36cfad97d8c69675bd585.pngwillow_cook.thumb.png.db6fd19ece65c87c2a46a174ffb2e699.pngwilson_cook.thumb.png.671d49a398014d8b46baf58b94d6e128.pngwinona_cook.png.ec3fd642e6fa235eaa3d8e31635981d5.pngwolfgang_skinny_cook.png.190e8ef4ebf66aacabd0d436a8bb9509.pngwolfgang_cook.png.3e0fffc4458b3cc107b234e00f120bf7.pngwolfgang_mighty_cook.thumb.png.790a8692fc069d46409acc40f19021e9.pngwoodie_cook.png.32f678a1e1280184d1c0ef39b76bffff.pngwx78_cook.png.bdb764671dfbbd8cf7c96b420552a376.png

Also also I swear if those posts about the boat AI were April Fool's jokes I'm deleting this thread.

Edited by watermelen671

function BoatAI:OnUpdate(dt)	
    local my_position = Vector3(self.inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition())	-- Defining the location of itself

local entities = TheSim:FindEntities(my_position.x, my_position.y, my_position.z, 200) -- Finding all entities within 200 tiles of itself

for i, v in ipairs(entities) do
    	local target_mast_component = v.components.mast -- Does one of the entities we found have the mast component?
    	if v ~= self.inst and target_mast_component ~= nil and target_mast_component.is_sail_raised then -- Entity is not a self reference, mast component exists in entity and their sail is raised
    		self.inst.components.hull.mast.components.mast:RaiseSail() -- Raise the sail (on self, not on the entity found)
    		local target_boat_position = Vector3(v.Transform:GetWorldPosition()) -- Where is the entity with a mast?
    		local target_move_position = target_boat_position + target_mast_component.wind_direction * 10    		
    		self.inst.components.hull.mast.components.mast.wind_direction = my_new_wind_dir -- Setting a new course pointing towards the found entity (give or take)
    	end
    end
end

I'm just gonna leave this here with some notes.

Edited by Tosh
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

function BoatAI:OnUpdate(dt)	
    local my_position = Vector3(self.inst.Transform:GetWorldPosition())	-- Defining the players position

local entities = TheSim:FindEntities(my_position.x, my_position.y, my_position.z, 200) -- Finding all entities within 200 tiles of the player

for i, v in ipairs(entities) do
    	local target_mast_component = v.components.mast -- Does one of the entities we found have the mast component?
    	if v ~= self.inst and target_mast_component ~= nil and target_mast_component.is_sail_raised then -- Entity is not a self reference, mast component exists in entity and their sail is raised
    		self.inst.components.hull.mast.components.mast:RaiseSail() -- Raise the sail (on self, not on the entity found)
    		local target_boat_position = Vector3(v.Transform:GetWorldPosition()) -- Where is the entity with a mast?
    		self.inst.components.hull.mast.components.mast.wind_direction = my_new_wind_dir -- Setting a new course pointing towards the found entity (give or take)
    	end
    end
end

My head hurts too much for this...I'm gonna go to bed. :wilson_ecstatic:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The code is incomplete and not used anywhere. Moreover, boatai.lua was last modified on August 22, 2019, for reference Return of Them was realized August 15, 2019. This is probably the remaining code of an old idea that will never make it into the game and that the developer forgets to clean up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So I didn’t want to repost this on Maxwell Memes, so I’m just gonna post it here- Thank you @minespatch this is now forever saved into my photos! lol

Also on the chance that this is off topic- better be on your toes @watermelen671 it’s April 3rd.. which means if something big is supposed to drop on April 16th as hinted in Wendy’s short... you’ve only got 13 days left of waiting!

445FB923-E407-4988-A49A-EC38C49E10C6.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

So I didn’t want to repost this on Maxwell Memes, so I’m just gonna post it here- Thank you @minespatch this is now forever saved into my photos! lol

Also on the chance that this is off topic- better be on your toes @watermelen671 it’s April 3rd.. which means if something big is supposed to drop on April 16th as hinted in Wendy’s short... you’ve only got 13 days left of waiting!

I have exams on the 20th... :wilson_cry:

Spoiler

Also yes, that repost is kinda off-topic.

unknown.png

Also they explicitly said:

On 3/19/2020 at 1:36 PM, Jason said:

If everything goes according to plan we expect the next update to be toward the end of April with the next Return of Them Content update

End of April mate...probably will be the last week of April because of Easter and all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

That’s only an ETA on the next Return of them content update. We will have to wait and see if April 16th holds any real world relevance, maybe not a content update... but we could defiantly see that short that was being worked on that was unrelated to Game content on that day.

Wes’s April Fools short had nothing to do with actual gameplay content, so that could have been the short they were referring to already. 

But... April 16th is the Third Thursday in the Month of April this year. Easter is on the 12th of that month.. So it Could also be the content update.. Maybe? we will just have to wait and see I guess, I won’t be disappointed if it’s not. I honestly don’t mind waiting at all however long it takes. 

Regardless, I made this for you to Enjoy & laugh at :)

627347FA-6E9C-4EA7-AD54-C01FF225BC18.jpeg

Edited by Mike23Ua
I put my off-topic post into a spoiler tag for you :)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The ones in color look Hi-definition though.

Well that's cuz they are spatch.

You can't expect them to use the low quality pixelated versions! :wilson_ecstatic:

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:
  Hide contents

That’s only an ETA on the next Return of them content update. We will have to wait and see if April 16th holds any real world relevance, maybe not a content update... but we could defiantly see that short that was being worked on that was unrelated to Game content on that day.

Wes’s April Fools short had nothing to do with actual gameplay content, so that could have been the short they were referring to already. 

But... April 16th is the Third Thursday in the Month of April this year. Easter is on the 12th of that month.. So it Could also be the content update.. Maybe? we will just have to wait and see I guess, I won’t be disappointed if it’s not. I honestly don’t mind waiting at all however long it takes. 

Regardless, I made this for you to Enjoy & laugh at :)

627347FA-6E9C-4EA7-AD54-C01FF225BC18.jpeg

But like...what other content could they possibly add outside of RoT?

There's not going to be another character refresh, we're hot off the heels of Wendy and we need to cool first. Aside from Easter (which I doubt they'll add an event for because of its highly religious connections) there isn't really any other event going on that they could have been working towards. And why would they add content right before RoT, shouldn't they be focusing more on working and refining that new content before it's packed up and shipped out to us?

I'm asking these questions not out of disrespect or to be dismissive, but more of genuine curiosity. :wilson_curious:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not sure man, but If I was you i would still set a reminder to be here on the 16th just encase :) 

My guy, if I'm able to squeeze it in during studying, I will.

Please summon me regardless, ping me everywhere you can.