Return of Data Mining, Art Assets, Model Dumping & More! (SPOILERS!)

1 hour ago, Miss Maya said:

I think I saw a red lizard revert back to green near an endo firepit

Same thing will happen if you had thrown a bomb into a pool and a full moon passed, if they're not staying warm, they'll stop being "ripe".

I dunno why most of the character wanna eat them though.

But apparently a lot of things here are either mutated by lunar power, or just straight up animals combined with food. What IS Charlie planning?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

I dunno why most of the character wanna eat them though.

They're walking Dragon fruit.

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

What IS Charlie planning?

I don't think this is Charlie's work.

I think the moon stuff just fell down here.

Shadows refuse to enter that place, too.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I don't think this is Charlie's work.

I think the moon stuff just fell down here.

Shadows refuse to enter that place, too.

Well the devs said that Charlie is moving forward with her plans, and is taking her gaze TO SPACE the moon.

For all we know she could be attempting to bring back the counterbalance of shadow magic, which is lunar magic.

Which seems more powerful and oddly mutagenic. So it's either a power grab, or maybe it's a way to weaken the power THEY hold over her so she can finally be free. 

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Squats said:

Yeah, I found that throwing a bath bomb into a hot spring will make it glow at night. (And possibly warmer than an unaltered hot spring?) A saladmander that hangs out at that hot spring long enough will morph into their red form. I was able to push a sleeping green one next to the spring and watch it transform after a little bit.

Screen Shot 05-17-19 at 11.21 AM 004.PNG

I lit it on fire next to some driftwood...

disappointed

The mothling is SO CUTE!  Too bad I'll likely have a kitty already by the time I'm able to get one, unless it takes me a while to find the pet den (which has been known to happen).  At the moment I haven't even gotten to the Lunar Island yet, hence my "DERP HOW I DO DIS?" questions--last time I played, I suddenly lost connection on like the dawn of day...4? and hadn't found gold yet, which means no science machine, no thingie, no boats and no island.  I was just about to explore a desert when suddenly the game went NOPE, so I might've been _close_ to gold...

The Pokemon saladmander is frickin' adorable, and yes, it even seems to have an "evolved" form!  : P  If you think about it, though, this and the carrat are not at all the first times the animal and vegetable kingdoms have weirdly crossed over in Don't Starve...Grass Geckos and Lureplants both drop leafy MEAT, treeguards drop monster MEAT, and you'd think Wigfrid would be willing to eat butterflies since, ya know, they're in the animal kingdom but nope!  You plant them in the ground and they become flowers. wut.

So...all this combines to tell me that the lunar influence actually first affected the Constant MUCH earlier, and we're just now being able to see the _source_.  Similar to how nightmare fuel was affecting things all over the place way before we found the source of magic Fuelweaver...

And, 'cos I'm a ginourmous book nerd, all this stuff about proximity to/being on the moon (or a piece of it?) reminds me of that one Dragonlance book...um...(looks it up) "Darkness and Light".  No wonder it took me a bit to remember the title; the main part of it I remember has _nothing_ to do with the main plot!  But...I remember that part better because I found it so much more FUN than the main plot...

Anyway at one point the main characters go in a rickety Gnome-made (EFF YEAH TINKER GNOMES WHOO)...rocket ship? to Lunitari, the Moon of Neutrality.  It is also, however, the moon of CHAOS, and every second you or anything else spends on there starts to mess you up.  Starting from irritability/random mood swings on up to physical mutation to the point of becoming a new _species_, and the things ALREADY living there are...yeah.  Forget the cheesy you-already-know-its-doomed-'cos-this-is-a-prequel romance story (and they're not actually interesting together anyway)--bring on the freaky science fantasy!  (See also: The Greygem of Gargath, which was used back in Krynn's prehistory by a god to split one race into multiple, and later on was captured by a warlock who then found out WHY only gods should even go near the thing.  Yikes.  And I think it was made from a piece of the same moon, but I could be wrong.)

So...yeah!  Moon whose very proximity makes things mutate.  Yep.  :)

...Notorious

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Choco_Late said:

LOL, a new concept of art?

I thought that was just an MS Paint edit made by @minespatch... :wilson_curious:

Spoiler

At least I think it was minispatch...

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

If you think about it, though, this and the carrat are not at all the first times the animal and vegetable kingdoms have weirdly crossed over in Don't Starve...Grass Geckos and Lureplants both drop leafy MEAT, treeguards drop monster MEAT.

Leafy meat is a misnomer, because it's only technically meat, and as Wigfrid likes to put it, is only "fake meat".

And this is the first time that edible matter and animals have been merged. Unless you're Woodie, you can't eat grass. And all other creatures that had leafy meat were mere plant-based life forms, with characteristics that made them not just:

Fruit+Lizard+Moon = Adorable Fruit Dragon

I like to think of it this way: if it droppeth monster meat, it has been affected by "the fuel".

Spoiler

Also, in the Metheus puzzles, it would seem as there were two types of magic, one that was used by the Fuelweaver (which loremaster @KrisRF has clarified is non-compliant with the "All giants are female" rule), which is shadow magic, insanity magic.

image.png

The other is using light magic (I assume to be Metheus), which  was being depicted as fighting back the shadow magic. This is presumably Lunar magic, magic of enlightenment and lunacy.

image.thumb.png.da337bc565425805d69a01087daddc90.png

But in the end, Metheus died and with it died the counterbalance to Shadow magic, which then corrupted THEM and took over the Constant.

But that's not to say that Lunar magic isn't also bad. It appears to mutate instead of corrupt. It gives life instead of takes, however it appears to fundamentally change what the thing in question is. 

Like the Mutated Pengulls and Hounds. They are dead, yet are sustained solely through the power of the moon. There's no "soul" left to them. (queue Wortox laughter)

So I'm starting to wonder if maybe Charlie is experimenting with Lunar magic, like how Maxwell experimented with Shadow magic.

I mean, someone's clearly trying to bring THEM back (hence the name of this hecking beta).

Spoiler

Also! The ancient gateway was shown to be powered by both shadow and lunar magic...

Spoiler

image.png.010f2adf8e5d29c19fcfd25facebedd3.png

And what do we see at the end of the Forge trailer?

Spoiler

latest?cb=20171109181226

Oops.

Spoiler

TBH if Charlie does ever become a playable character, having her be the counterbalance to Maxwell, with Lunar puppets and wielding lunar magic instead of shadow magic would be sooo cool!

It's also be a cool mechanic, having full sanity would have her enter "enlightenment" whilst being insane would make THEM appear. All of this would center around the Moon's cycle, where depending on whether it's waxing or waning would mean whether she's more at risk of enlightenment or insanity, with full moons and new moons having the most impact.

Full moons would give her MASSIVE sanity aura, which is bad because of enlightenment.

New moons would give her MASSIVE insanity aura, which is...okay because hey, more fuel please.

Spoiler

This'd also synergize nicely with Willow. FUEL FOR EVERYONE!!

And yes I do mean AURA, which means it'd have an impact on players.

Spoiler

And I would be totally down if say during the new moon she'd look more like her "Monster form"

Spoiler

image.png.397acf90e9ac53f7cb7e716e051c6db7.png

And during the full moon she'd look...I dunno...more mutated? Combined with a durian? Like Shadow charlie but with the colors inverted because I'm lazy?

Spoiler

Art coming soon(?) 

Spoiler

But here's a lazy placeholder until then!

image.png.b0a3578033c9d1bf19d1def6c2c746a4.png

But I know it's a bit unrealistic because making 3 models for one character is probably a bit too much for the dev team.

Spoiler

And I just remembered that Wolfgang is a thing. :wilson_facepalm:

And honestly I think people are sick of characters with moon gimmicks. 

Spoiler

I said I think, I could be wrong. Lemme know though.

True balance. Isn't that what Charlie is? She's neither Charlie, nor is she the Night Monster.

She is both. Balance. Good and evil. Light and Dark. A beautiful rose with sharp thorns. Master and wielder of Shadow magic, and [hopefully] soon Lunar magic.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. :wilson_ecstatic:

Edited by watermelen671
  • Like 11
  • Haha 5

On 2019-05-17 at 2:34 PM, ResettePlayer said:

Oh. My. Heavens.

At long last, Don't Starve is really leaning into the Lovecraftian end of things!

Please, I want all the eldritch abominations. Heck, I want to become an eldritch abomination--could you imagine ABOMINATION SKINS?! Aaaahhh!

Beasts all over the shop.. you'll be one sooner or later..

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

I thought that was just an MS Paint edit made by @minespatch... :wilson_curious:

No, that MSpaint drawing is actually an item in game.

You can spawn it in, it's a fish net.

You know those littles fishies you see in the ocean? Use the net on those to get antchovies. 
Ant-anchovies. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, -Variant said:

No, that MSpaint drawing is actually an item in game.

You can spawn it in, it's a fish net.

You know those littles fishies you see in the ocean? Use the net on those to get antchovies. 
Ant-anchovies. 

I'm aware of the antchovies...I thought I had posted it here.

Also why the heck can't we just use the fishing rod it's infuriating.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, but in the beta I see a new swimsuits skin collection, why this wasn't mentioned around? They all specify that won't actually let us swim though

Swimsuits were added with the Willow refresh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Sorry if this is the wrong topic, but in the beta I see a new swimsuits skin collection, why this wasn't mentioned around? They all specify that won't actually let us swim though

The swimsuits came with the Willow update.

Most likely a joke on the Boat's plank mechanic. 

• Like 6