Upcoming Content Beta and Roadmap Update

I have some feedback on the next character refreshes going forward.

So far, the character refresh is structured like this:

1. The character chosen for the refresh is announced.

2. A week or so before the actual update, the perks are shown to the community.

3. The character is released to the main branch.

I feel that this process doesn't allow for much feedback or change of the original plan when presented to the community. It's quite inflexible.

My suggestion for step 2: Announce the perks to the community, and ALSO release the current state of the character to the beta branch. That way, the developers can receive more practical feedback for the feel of the character when played in an actual world, rather than speculation on how the perks would function in theory.

The character could even be released with unfinished art assets, if that's needed. After all, it is the beta branch and unfinished content is to be expected. I even recall that Slay the Spire's beta branch used placeholder art for various cards in the beta. Would love to see placeholder art in DST, and I imagine so would others. This is what a beta branch is for, after all.

A bit conflicted. On the one hand it sounds like a good idea...on the other hand people here tend to overreact to issues they have with content either way, and listening to that too much is how we've gotten, uh, various situations with characters that would cause a small war by even mentioning those circumstances again.

I feel like the Willow refresh stuck a good balance. There was just enough info for Willow to get the biggest tweaks that most of the community wanted before release.

...yeesh, who would've thought I'd be asking for less community input.

1 hour ago, lifetheuniverse said:

...yeesh, who would've thought I'd be asking for less community input.

Let's be honest here, 50% of our community is really stupid.

Spoiler

Most of them are on the steam discussion forum so dont worry

This is also a joke. For the most part.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:39 AM, Bigfoot said:

Warly 
For the next character refresh, Warly will be sailing into the Constant from Shipwrecked on July 18th

this really puts into question on how these "refreshes" will work

because they aren't part of DST beforehand meaning all single player DLC characters are up to that

2 hours ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

this really puts into question on how these "refreshes" will work

because they aren't part of DST beforehand meaning all single player DLC characters are up to that

tbh I don't think it's gonna be the case all DS characters are gonna be translated to DST. and even if that's the case we are very far from it cuz the current roadmap isn't gonna include them.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, Bigfoot said:

Warly will be getting a design refresh and come with new abilities specific to Don’t Starve Together.

Please let him have a tab with the Gorge mechanics, the cooking mechanics in this game are long outdated and the Gorge items are wasted on the event. Putting them with Warly would be perfect as it doesn't shove it in new players faces, and it would fit the character perfectly. I'm also really hoping his perks aren't "Cooks crock pot food 15% faster" 

3 hours ago, Peanotchio said:

Please let him have a tab with the Gorge mechanics, the cooking mechanics in this game are long outdated and the Gorge items are wasted on the event. Putting them with Warly would be perfect as it doesn't shove it in new players faces, and it would fit the character perfectly. I'm also really hoping his perks aren't "Cooks crock pot food 15% faster" 

I was hoping that this mysterious new goat character referenced in the strings would be a goat from the Gorge and do exactly this, but when you point it out it would make sense for them to do attach it to Warly-a chef character, since he's on his way.

I'd much prefer a playable Gorge goat to Warly but if the mechanics get in either way it's fine... I guess.

Big rip for the aesthetic though.

OMG OMG OMG THIS MUST BE A JOKE. There is no end to how many Warly threads and comments I made in these forums, this is crazy good, I feel like my prayers are listened to, it feels like Klei heeded to that character survey I made months ago. This is so great I cannot express my joy. Thank you Klei,

18 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

A quick question, why doesn't Wormwood's bramble husk nullify cactus picking? Would that be too broken? :confused:

u can suggest it in a separate thread in the suggestion and feedback for hamlet section :wilson_smile:

10 hours ago, Axelocke said:

A quick question, why doesn't Wormwood's bramble husk nullify cactus picking? Would that be too broken? :confused:

I think this was an oversight from the devs, it makes absolute sense and should work like this. Cactus, spiky grass and roses.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:39 PM, Zeklo said:

I was hoping that this mysterious new goat character referenced in the strings would be a goat from the Gorge and do exactly this, but when you point it out it would make sense for them to do attach it to Warly-a chef character, since he's on his way.

I'd much prefer a playable Gorge goat to Warly but if the mechanics get in either way it's fine... I guess.

Big rip for the aesthetic though.

...by the way...
where was a goat mentioned

Just now, lifetheuniverse said:

...by the way...
where was a goat mentioned

Wortox's strings:

NEXTCHARACTER =
        {
            GENERIC = "Hyuyu, what are you up to %s?",
            ATTACKER = "Don't get my goat, little %s!",
            MURDERER = "Eep! Don't slaughter me!",
            REVIVER = "Thank-you, thank-you, little goat!",
            GHOST = "Don't worry, I'm not hungry.",
            FIRESTARTER = "Little goat! You played pranks without me!",
        },

2 hours ago, Nino123 said:

Is it literally a goat? Can't it be a kind of nickname or a way to call people as he is a horned beast himself ? 

Yup, Warly has a goatee so what you said makes sense. But it might be too early to tell. 

Huh, thanks, that's interesting.

The Gorge pigs referred to the survivors as 'weird goats', so that's another possible relation.
...or one of the new characters is actually Billy; they're almost the right size for a character. I have a small feeling that Warly and Wormwood were pushed to the front of the line early due to Hamlet ending, so this 'next' character may have just been planned to be next until recently.
Or Warly got turned into a Goat.

I'm inclined to think Billy though, since the reference is to a 'little' goat, probably meaning young.

7 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

...I know it's a longshot, but with those two and Wormwood, I hope we're getting a food update. Would be nice for food to matter/have actual choices in a game that makes it sound relevant in the title.

That would be amazing!

We've needed a bigger emphasis on food for quite a while. Nobody (for the most part) uses farms anymore, and is why I'm pretty excited for Wormwood's inclusion because it instantly solves vegetable depravation. :wilson_dorky:

I also hope Warly could get even *more* unique recipes for his refresh to provide variety. A food update in general for all survivors would be pretty great. :wilson_laugh:

Archived