How to Opt-In to the Beta Branch for Don't Starve Together

Hello @ChameleonH814, welcome to the forums. There is no betacode to enter. Simply select the returnofthembeta from the betas tab.

How to access the Return of Them BETA Branch:

• Close DST if it is running
  • In Steam click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Don't Starve Together.
  • Right-click, select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the "returnofthembeta" branch.
  • You may need to restart Steam to see this branch.
  • In that same properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press Verify Integrity Of Game Files.
  • Your game will be updated to the beta version.
  • Run the game and go to Browse Games. You should see servers which are running the beta. Have fun!
  • Like 1

Dunno if this is a glitch influenced by a mod I have or something else, but it erased ALL my games. @Aurorus had this problem too.

Fortunately, I'm too pumped to care. Thanks, Klei! Love ya! :wilson_love::wilson_love: I'm super excited to test all this out, it's all I've thought about this week.

image.png.81864536360d6c64a581d9af4c8e9774.png

1 hour ago, Willyhoo said:

Dunno if this is a glitch influenced by a mod I have or something else, but it erased ALL my games. @Aurorus had this problem too.

Fortunately, I'm too pumped to care. Thanks, Klei! Love ya! :wilson_love::wilson_love: I'm super excited to test all this out, it's all I've thought about this week.

Beta has separate save files. when you opt back into your old version, your old save files are still there.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:31 PM, Zillvr said:

Hello @ChameleonH814, welcome to the forums. There is no betacode to enter. Simply select the returnofthembeta from the betas tab.

How to access the Return of Them BETA Branch:

• Close DST if it is running
  • In Steam click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Don't Starve Together.
  • Right-click, select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the "returnofthembeta" branch.
  • You may need to restart Steam to see this branch.
  • In that same properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press Verify Integrity Of Game Files.
  • Your game will be updated to the beta version.
  • Run the game and go to Browse Games. You should see servers which are running the beta. Have fun!

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, CarlZalph said:

Add the parameter for SteamCMD:

-beta returnofthembeta

During its update use.

This'll get the beta files.

I don't use Steam CMD for my dedicated server. Do I need to change something in the worldgen file or somewhere else?  Can't seem to get mine to show up :D  Thanks so much!

On 5/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, Willyhoo said:

When you join a beta, it wipes all your save files and starts ya fresh. That's why :D  You're not playing on the same servers anymore!

1 hour ago, sillygolucky said:

I don't use Steam CMD for my dedicated server. Do I need to change something in the worldgen file or somewhere else?  Can't seem to get mine to show up :D  Thanks so much!

I'm not sure what you're using, then, because SteamCMD is just a headless Steam client to obtain files from Valve's depot servers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I'm not sure what you're using, then, because SteamCMD is just a headless Steam client to obtain files from Valve's depot servers.

Oh sorry, I use a remote hosting service called Nodecraft.  They have a basic setup integrated, but it still takes some working knowledge to add mods, .lua's and change worldgen, etc...  I have access to all the files, so if you know exactly what gets changed I can roll with that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sillygolucky said:

Oh sorry, I use a remote hosting service called Nodecraft.  They have a basic setup integrated, but it still takes some working knowledge to add mods, .lua's and change worldgen, etc...  I have access to all the files, so if you know exactly what gets changed I can roll with that!

Ah, well they must have some sort of updater panel.  You may need to ask them to add in that launch parameter to enable the beta for hosting on it.

• Like 1

Is there a target date for getting boats to work with controllers? Right now, if playing with controllers you need to get out of the game, unplug controller, back in, place boat on water, out, plug controller again, move on with life.

If your boat is destroyed, the whole process makes it kinda discouraging to build another.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:36 AM, sillygolucky said:

When you join a beta, it wipes all your save files and starts ya fresh. That's why :D  You're not playing on the same servers anymore!

Oh, I didn't know! Thanks! :D

If I decide to opt in for the Return of Them beta, will I be able to play on non-beta servers? Is there an option to turn off the beta? I enjoy playing with one of my close friends and they'd rather not opt in, but I still want to be able to play with them.:wilson_confused:
Edit: Figured it out myself, and I also can't delete this post lol.

Edited by Sluggie
Figured it out myself.
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 1:55 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Is there a Beta Branch for Consoles?? Like Minecraft does on Xbox through the Xbox Insider Tab? I’d like to play test new features and provide feedback on them before they’re finalized and pushed out live. 

Nope, sadly Beta is only for PC since they update it very often and they can't actively work on console betas as they'll require certification from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo{not that DST has switch version}. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rachelcenter said:

I dont have that beta option. How do I get it? I went to the drop down and the only option I have is "none". I'm running an Apple

There isn't a beta branch at the moment due to all the beta content being pushed into the main branch. So they removed the beta option due to redundancy. It likely won't be available again until Klei puts out a new update for RoT that needs tested.

• Thanks 1

HI!

I have restarted steam, my computer and danced around speaking gibberish with the hopes of getting down the beta drop down to show return of them as an option, but all I keep getting is - NONE - Opt out of all beta programs.

How do I solve this?

11 hours ago, scarletdeatht said:

HI!

I have restarted steam, my computer and danced around speaking gibberish with the hopes of getting down the beta drop down to show return of them as an option, but all I keep getting is - NONE - Opt out of all beta programs.

How do I solve this?

On 3/14/2020 at 4:30 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

There isn't a beta branch at the moment due to all the beta content being pushed into the main branch. So they removed the beta option due to redundancy. It likely won't be available again until Klei puts out a new update for RoT that needs tested.