Hamlet Disappointment

Wazzup76

Disclaimer first, I haven't tried the Hamlet DLC yet but I've played all the other DLCs + DST for at least 300 days each. I've been checking the forum from time to time throughout the development and watching gameplay on youtube though.

I bought Hamlet in February but like I said I haven't even created a world since. I was patiently waiting for the official release so that I could have the "full" experience at lauch for the first time since I was late to the Don't Starve "party" with the previous games.

Anyway.. So I was finally readying myself to finally try it today but for some reason decided to come check the forum first and see how it was received. And oh boy... It's sad because Hamlet looked so promising in beta with lots of potential but it seems now that all this waiting was mostly for nothing and that this DLC is still, and will potentially remain, unfinished.

It's unfortunate because from I gathered here on the forums, I'm actually one of the few costumers who actually paid for this DLC and I'm usually against pre purchase but I trusted Klei to deliver what they promised...

Hamlet doesn't seem bad, just unfinished. I would've been fine with yet another delay but since it's apparently the official release well, I'm considering a refund for the first time ever. This is not what I waited and paid for unless I'm missing something?

5 minutes ago, Wazzup76 said:

Disclaimer first, I haven't tried the Hamlet DLC yet but I've played all the other DLCs + DST for at least 300 days each. I've been checking the forum from time to time throughout the development and watching gameplay on youtube though.

I bought Hamlet in February but like I said I haven't even created a world since. I was patiently waiting for the official release so that I could have the "full" experience at lauch for the first time since I was late to the Don't Starve "party" with the previous games.

Anyway.. So I was finally readying myself to finally try it today but for some reason decided to come check the forum first and see how it was received. And oh boy... It's sad because Hamlet looked so promising in beta with lots of potential but it seems now that all this waiting was mostly for nothing and that this DLC is still, and will potentially remain, unfinished.

It's unfortunate because from I gathered here on the forums, I'm actually one of the few costumers who actually paid for this DLC and I'm usually against pre purchase but I trusted Klei to deliver what they promised...

Hamlet doesn't seem bad, just unfinished. I would've been fine with yet another delay but since it's apparently the official release well, I'm considering a refund for the first time ever. This is not what I waited and paid for unless I'm missing something?

Try it first, some found it a complete and satisfying experience anyway, maybe you are one of them. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot for some time, even though I'm among those who have been disappointed by the "final" product.
Anyway, play ten / fifteen hours and do your idea ;)

I really love it. The new characters are interesting and fun, and there are lots of new biomes, mobs and mechanics. Take a lot of the complaints with a grain of salt. People expected more content with the full release, so they are let down after getting semi regular updates, anticipating a last dose of content and not getting it. It’s all about that expectation. But to someone who hasn’t played it at all, there is a LOT of new content. You may even be overwhelmed by it. 

The main things that are missing are the teleportato and some perk for the humid season (apart from all the free chitons lying around begging to be converted to oincs). You may not want or need the first—I don’t. I’d recommend starting in Hamlet to get the hang of it and find a world gen you like, then link to SW or ROG, where if you don’t like the world you can flip it.

you shouldn't have have come here for opinions on hamlet. form your own opinions for yourself by playing. i had a great time with it so far and had no idea about any of the problems that people voiced on here until i checked. all the new characters are simply brilliant, much better designed and more universally usable than the shipwrecked ones. i cant think of many things that i feel are missing from it except a teleportato which i was surprised to find doesnt exist for hamlet. but its honestly being blown out of proportion, the dlc is great, theres many great new additions and new concepts that i feel make the overall dont starve experience feel more complete especially when you combine all 3 dlcs. you can world hop between 3 dlc and theres the caves too so worlds are pretty huge now. megabase potential is immense and even if thats not your thing, you won't run out of things to do for a long time, theres so many combinations of playstyles and challenges that you can try.

you can definitely jump into a game and have a lot of fun, dont let others tell you what you can or can't enjoy. the thing about it being unfinished is frankly ignorant. they've delayed it nearly half a year from the initial anticipated release and since then they made many changes and additions.

heres one example of people being ungrateful and stupid: complaining about vortex cloak and that it sucks and should be better than it is.

it's a unique item, nothing in the game lets you have armour and a backpack at once AND lets you recharge it on the go with the fuel that you can farm from the "drawback" which is sanity drain (fuel is extremely easy to mass farm anyway so recharge cost doesn't matter) but people cry for a buff. why? so it becomes an item that would be so good you never take it off? the only other item that is comparable is the krampus sack but thats a special case. no other item should be that good, especially not one that protects from all dmg + stun (nothing else in the game protects you from stun) + any effects from enemy attacks wont work and that you can recharge and not have to craft again THATS ALSO A BACKPACK all in one. its a well balanced item but people are such brats on here, they circlejerk on all  the different posts until they all believe they deserved more. same with living artifact. its such a great item, but no its not enough that you can farm it endlessly whenever you want unlike other boss items, it needs to last longer even if its like enabling godmode and looks amazing doing it.

i read all the complaint posts and theyre all really grasping at straws, pretending like minor oversights are a reason to call it "unfinished". the only legitimate complaint is the new supposed new features for every season which apparently we never got.

what a joke. its unbelievable that every post on here after launch is complaining somehow. its kind of shameful. i cant imagine being a dev and releasing a dlc that you worked hard for and even delayed in order to make it good enough and have your fanbase spit in your mouth when its finished. THEY SAID THEYD CONTINUE TO UPDATE with fixes and tweaks. just because 1.0 is live doesnt mean theyre 100% done with it and they even said so themselves. so now that they finished developing the planned features, the focus will shift and all those oversights and mild complaints will get addressed. and if were lucky we might even get another major update like shipwrecked did somewhere down the line

42 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

Try it first, some found it a complete and satisfying experience anyway, maybe you are one of them. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot for some time, even though I'm among those who have been disappointed by the "final" product.
Anyway, play ten / fifteen hours and do your idea ;)

Well you could very well be right and I might enjoy it but I'm not familiar with the Steam refund. I don't think I'd be eligible for a refund if I play long enough to make a proper judgement. I'm not even sure if I can refund it since I bought it months ago but their policy seems to mention 14 days after the official release. I might have to do what I usually do and "burrow a friend's copy" to try it and see if it's worth purchasing.

It’s 7 bucks, for crying out loud.

10 minutes ago, Wazzup76 said:

Well you could very well be right and I might enjoy it but I'm not familiar with the Steam refund. I don't think I'd be eligible for a refund if I play long enough to make a proper judgement. I'm not even sure if I can refund it since I bought it months ago but their policy seems to mention 14 days after the official release. I might have to do what I usually do and "burrow a friend's copy" to try it and see if it's worth purchasing.

Just now, Rellimarual said:

It’s 7 bucks, for crying out loud.

So what? Sure it's just $7 but it's also a question of principle to me. They're a company, and as a costumer, I don't owe them anything. They're not entitled to my money if they don't deliver a finished product, whether it's 7, 60 or 200 dollars.

4 minutes ago, SouthTom said:

I think the limit for a refund on steam is 2 hours played/ 2 weeks since you paid. Seems like you're too late for refund. :(

Well it's not the end of the world if I can't, like the other guy said "it's just 7 bucks" but the Steam policy says this about refunds "Pre-purchased Titles: Before the release of a title, you will get a refund based on 14 days and two hour refund period. It starts from the release date of the game." And I'm assuming the release date means the official release so I'll give it a try anyway

Just now, Wazzup76 said:

So what? Sure it's just $7 but it's also a question of principle to me. They're a company, and as a costumer, I don't owe them anything. They're not entitled to my money if they don't deliver a finished product, whether it's 7, 60 or 200 dollars.

This. Hamlet is fun for what it is, but it's not what I paid money for. It uses unfinished assets, lacks content which is almost a given including basic base game content, and didn't follow through on several promises. And yet this DLC which contains less content than all the others also maintains a higher pricetag than them as well.

2 hours ago, Wazzup76 said:

Disclaimer first, I haven't tried the Hamlet DLC yet

You should try it and form your own opinion. I personally considered Hamlet to have a satisfying amount of content from the beginning of the initial "closed" beta, and I think it's only gotten better since.

59 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Funny to see people who haven't played hamlet for long say that its amazing and that all veteran players are wrong.

Yes, new things are fun when you're still experiencing them. Who knew.

I don't like the idea that this is a battle between Stupid Idiot Noobs and Rational Veterans. I've been playing DS for years, and put in a good 200 hours in Hamlet, and I think it's pretty amazing and people are being a little unreasonable.

53 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You should try it and form your own opinion. I personally considered Hamlet to have a satisfying amount of content from the beginning of the initial "closed" beta, and I think it's only gotten better since.

I don't like the idea that this is a battle between Stupid Idiot Noobs and Rational Veterans. I've been playing DS for years, and put in a good 200 hours in Hamlet, and I think it's pretty amazing and people are being a little unreasonable.

You don't get why people with no experience shouldn't be judging people with lots of experience?

6 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

You don't get why people with no experience shouldn't be judging people with lots of experience?

I don't get where or how you got the idea in your head that this is a battle between Stupid Idiot Noobs and Rational Factual Logical Veterans.

Bringing in my opinion nobody asked for, I actually really like Hamlet, despite its flaws. I do think some of the cut content could've been cool, and more content is always nice, but I've been enjoying it for quite a while now! Hopefully a Home Sea Home style update could happen eventually, but I won't be overly sad if it doesn't happen.

3 hours ago, Wazzup76 said:

You haven't even played it, as others said above. Why complain because others do too?

6 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

You haven't even played it, as others said above. Why complain because others do too?

Exactly! Play it for yourself for a bit and see how you feel! If you like it, then great! If not, then either get a refund or if you took longer than Steam allows, it was only $7. [I'm most likely being too positive about this sorry]

On 15/05/2019 at 10:16 PM, Wazzup76 said:

Disclaimer first, I haven't tried the Hamlet DLC yet but...

To save new readers some time, I have highlighted all they need to know about this thread. Now move on.

Now we even get whiners who have not played the game yet. Can these thread get more pointless? We shall see...

On 16.05.2019 at 12:58 AM, 4 Da LOLs said:

its good just needs MORE

Hey, I respecting you but isn't it bad if it need more?
 Yeah, the game art is perfect and the color palette is gamestyle but there is verymuch thing to be add. The funny thing about it they said "No more new things updates.".
 The game is kinda empty dude! It would be great to role playing game (I thing they tried to make it) but it's didn't happened. I saw your comment in other topics and you it's look like you liked game. But even you know the game is not "permanent". And I don't wait for new updates from now. It was a little mistake everybody can do. I hope they take lessons from that thing and give us better things.

But to be honest I'm not angry about them. I paid money to worse game :D 

10 hours ago, Slagger said:

Hey, I respecting you but isn't it bad if it need more?

more just saying that there are some fun things to it but once you know them they kinda lose their charm when you die and repeat it over again more just some variation

I hope they take lessons from that thing and give us better things

same

But even you know the game is not "permanent".

sorry but could you elaborate on this i don't know what you were trying to convey

But to be honest I'm not angry about them. I paid money to worse game :D 

well tbh there's probably going to be a "home sea home" type update for Hamlet in year or so in the meantime we do get free Wormwood for DST

In my case I think the new characters, in general, are better additions than the SW additions. 

The DLC has REALLY nice ideas and items/mechanics, yet the final product is still somewhat... Lacking. 

So yeah. MOAR. 

Archived