Steam Alpha Testing!

JoeW

• Developer

Flax and LadyD: It almost sounds like you are stuck on the older, broken version from earlier today - can you guys try the following:

1) right click DS in the steam library, and select properties. Set the following:

Updates: always keep this game up to date, enable steam cloud synch

Betas: None - opt out of all beta programs

2) right click DS in the steam library, and tell it to delete local content

3) make sure you are looking at "all games", right click DS, and tell it to install again.

If that doesn't help, I don't think I can do much else for you until Monday, sadly. We *really* want to iron out the steam client bugs as quickly as possible, though, so rest assured that we're going to be trying hard to figure it out.

A) Intel Core i3-2310M running at 2.10 with 430 gigs free space

B) Yes, played it in chrome, works perfectly.

C) Consistently slow, the entire environment

D) Update runs between 4 and 14 with render running between 80 and 100. Both on the low end.

Thanks for a great game.

• Developer

Is there a greek letter before alpha? Our steam client is that, it seems.

Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess. Hopefully you are all generating nice, juicy crashdumps for steam to collect and send to us.

Is there a greek letter before alpha? Our steam client is that, it seems.

Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess. Hopefully you are all generating nice, juicy crashdumps for steam to collect and send to us.

Worst than alpha ?

wow.

• Developer
I am confused about so many having difficulties. How many people actually got in? I downloaded, and started it smoothly within 3 minutes and never had a problem within 4 hours of play.

PC development can be like that, sadly. It probably depends upon your exact hardware details. I mean, it works for us in the studio, or we wouldn't have pushed that version. But, all of our hardware is similar, and there isn't that much of it.

We had similar growing pains when we first released the Chrome version. It's an inherent problem when moving to a new platform when you don't have access to a big expensive compatibility lab. But don't worry - we'll iron out the problems as Soon as we can!

At least if the steam version doesn't work for you yet, you can still play on Chrome :)

• Developer
Come to think of it, will you keep on supporting both the Steam and Chrome version from now on with patches for each or will you move on to Steam only support eventually?

We have no plans to drop Chrome support. Patches get applied to both builds, starting with the next one.

PC development can be like that, sadly. It probably depends upon your exact hardware details. I mean, it works for us in the studio, or we wouldn't have pushed that version. But, all of our hardware is similar, and there isn't that much of it.

We had similar growing pains when we first released the Chrome version. It's an inherent problem when moving to a new platform when you don't have access to a big expensive compatibility lab. But don't worry - we'll iron out the problems as Soon as we can!

At least if the steam version doesn't work for you yet, you can still play on Chrome :)

Yeah, that makes sense. Mujst be super hard to make it compatible for everyone!

That's what my log says:

Starting up

THREAD - started 'GAClient' (1396)

HttpClient::ClientThread::Main()

cGame::InitializeOnMainThread

cDontStarveGame::DoGameSpecificInitialize()

cGame::StartPlaying

LOADING LUA

DoLuaFile data/scripts/main.lua

DoLuaFile loading buffer data/scripts/main.lua

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(93,1) running main.lua

LOADING LUA SUCCESS

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_sfx 0.1

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_ambience 0.1

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\mixer.lua(76,1) Set set_music 0.1

...ackage\workspace\data\scripts\screens\mainscreen.lua:202: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'local_tz' (a nil value)

LUA ERROR stack traceback:

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\screens\mainscreen.lua(202,1) in function 'GetDaysToUpdate'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\screens\mainscreen.lua(253,1) in function 'DoInit'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\screens\mainscreen.lua(21,1)

=[C] in function 'CheckPersistentStringExists'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\screens\mainscreen.lua(20,1)

=[C] in function 'CheckPersistentStringExists'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\screens\mainscreen.lua(19,1) in function '_ctor'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\class.lua(28,1) in function 'MainScreen'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(368,1) in function 'complete_callback'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\upsell.lua(31,1) in function 'UpdateGamePurchasedState'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(356,1) in function 'callback'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\playerprofile.lua(153,1)

=[C] in function 'GetPersistentString'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\playerprofile.lua(137,1) in function 'Load'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\gamelogic.lua(375,1) in main chunk

=[C] in function 'require'

c:\jenkins\workspace\jobs\DontStarve_Release_Make_Steam_Package\workspace\data\scripts\main.lua(551,1)

Assert failure '0' at ..\source\simlib\luatools.cpp(72): Trace follows...