What would be your ideal new content?

This has probably been discussed before but I thought it would be a great time, with all the QOL stuff done, and us getting hype for release. 

For the sake of this discussion, let's just assume that the devs have nothing planned for release, so they asked YOU personally for ideas. (It doesn't have to be something that's exactly healthy for the state of the game, rather, something that YOU personally would enjoy having)

What kind of update would you plan for release/dlc? (For example, rocketry, automation, ranching, etc.)

I think mine would be the inclusion of fire/combustibles. I would enjoy the challenge of avoiding fires when working with ultra hot material, or designing a sprinkler system in case of emergency.

I would also have fun making pressurized oxygen rooms to explode in massive fireballs. 

Radiation, nuclear power, gym, more variety of foods and their recipes, more variety (and utility) on the textile industry.

Fire and TNT (for mining purposes) would be amazing too.

Accidents in general (since they really want a purpose to the med bay, right!?).... it always annoyed me to see heavy wiring all around under water and not a single dupe being electrocuted.

Hazards Upgrade:  fires, firefighting job and buildings, chemicals burns, hazmat suits, aggressive critters, and random events.  Players would have the option to toggle fires, critter aggression, and random events on or off when creating a game.

Robotics Upgrade:  we can now build and program robotic dupes.  These require no food or oxygen, but do need to be recharged at charging docks.  They're simplistic in their design, so they can only be programmed to perform one job (which can be changed at an appropriate station).  There would need to be some kind of balancing factor to prevent us from spamming them.

Gourmet Upgrade: new plants and critters produce new ingredients, which in turn can be used to make new foods.  Dupes now gain bonuses for eating a balanced diet instead of eating the same meal over and over again.

Rest and Relaxation Upgrade: we get new buildings like juice bars, karaoke machines, etc, and new rooms like spas and lounges.  Just the animations that could come out of such a DLC as this would be worth the price of admission, imho.

personally I want nuclear tech, mostly so we can have an RTG, which would act as passive power generation, so you can have powered things un connected to your base, I could see it used to either power things you want constantly on forever, like oxygen or water production, or for outposts, like a distant geyser.
what would also be cool is some sort of DupeBot, a robot that automates dupe operation, like using an oil refinery, or maybe even cooking, so you can eventually get to a point, where the dupes don't have to do anything at all, except maybe operate things that require high level specialized training like rockets. or maybe instead of operate, it could build, so you can build big things without using all your dupes time, could connect it to the autominer to automate where exactly you want to mine, so together they can build and mine whatever you tell them to.

9 minutes ago, goboking said:

Robotics Upgrade:  we can now build and program robotic dupes.  These require no food or oxygen, but do need to be recharged at charging docks.  They're simplistic in their design, so they can only be programmed to perform one job (which can be changed at an appropriate station).  There would need to be some kind of balancing factor to prevent us from spamming them

This one is really cool. I've never even considered some kind of robotics. 

They could probably balance it by requiring more then just power. Like maybe they produce lots of heat, so you gotta keep them cool or they overheat. Or, maybe they have to be refueled periodically with oil to keep their gear lubricated. 

more plants, more dangerous diseases (or just make those already here  more dangerous, instead of just stat decrease, more uses for the different plants (especially sporechids and decor plants such as bluff brair, jumping Joya and mirth leaf (which are almost identical), more ways of generating power, more ways to deal with CO2. more clever dupes (I've had many games where they go underwater to get a muckroot, and then can't come back up. I've also had one game where all of my dupes entombed themselves.). more ways to cool down your base (or heat it up). 

Adventure upgrade. An ability to actually "beat" the game by finding something like Maxwell`s Door in DS. It would allow you to take a few dupes to a new base that has different starting conditions like an ice asteroid with very little rock or an asteroid with only caustic and oil biomes and just a bit of dirt so it`s hard to get food then maybe eventually a last level where you start on the surface biome.

Materials upgrade. Refined minerals, rubber and a lot of the stuff that`s in the codex but not the game. Stuff you can build with it. More critter morphs producing useful stuff (ice eating hatches, different dreckos, an useful shove vole morph), more recipies, more medicine stuff.

An advanced cooking station for the highest tier food that uses water. It would need water to be cleaned from germs so that food doesn`t get contaminated.

A biome along the lines of what Ruins in DS are - something filled with semi-alive dangerous structures, mechanisms, creatures - weird, slightly scary, sort of hostile place altogether, tricky to learn how to deal with.

Dangers that are periodic and incremental, so that you need to adjust and you need stuff from space to adjust. So not something "learn to handle in general", like fire, but something more like hounds and bosses in DS, so that there's some sort of dynamic to the game.

(well I admit that's just getting ONI more DS-like but I do like games with dynamics, and I understand that the idea of ONI may be just creative building without being pressured by dynamics banging on your head).

Other civilizations on other asteroids you can ally with in some ways - trade, or learn something from them, or help them.

Quest-like line to POIs and artefacts, where you gather, investigate, build things to tame things, all that leading to something new happening, like life on asteroid changing dramatically so that when you complete the quest, the game changes its ways or something else interesting happens, like getting into adventure more in DS after doing such a quest. Added note: but I would not do a limited asteroid as suggested above, the way actual adventure works - I think it would be better (although way more expensive to implement) to add to these new settings new mechanics instead. Like you need to deal with fire there, or with radiation, or with just a single dupe, or you start with a hundred of them, and all of that on asteroids setup differently from the current resources-wise.

So I think a great DLC would be that you pick a planet off your first asteroid and supply a rocket with some food, seeds, materials and would launch off to said planet and you colonize a new planet.  Biomes % based off which one you pick.  Maybe the rocket crashes?  Not sure.  Then from there you have to build back up and once you go to space you can do it gain.

Difficulty options:

• Vents/geysers that are idle periodically and randomly
  • Extreme fog of war - Instead of being able to 'see' the whole map so long as a dupe has been within 15 tiles (or whatever it currently is) you can only see the wall. You *have* to dig to see what lies ahead. You won't know if you are about to hit slimelung or a volcano until you actually do. New radar building or metal detecting skill lets you see a little farther.
  • Dupes die of old age
  • Plants in conditions that are good enough to grow but not ideal have a chance of just dying off, forcing you to use a new seed. Possible to lose your whole crop if you have extended non-ideal farming.
  • Building upkeep; similar to the current repair due to overheating/wrong element feature, have some buildings that simply always need upkeep. Oxidation?
  • Make damaged buildings dangerous to dupes operating them, rather than just eventually broken.
  • No starting biome - add a dirt and copper biome, but get rid of the early game hand-holding. Make it more like don't starve where you explore a while before deciding where to set up camp. 
  • Diseases for critters

Additional features not related to difficulty that are mainly just useful QoL buildings:

• Differential automation. Inputs are two sensors (temp, pressure, etc). Output is active if A is greater than B
  • Storage action based checkpoints. A door that is connected to a storage bin. To go through this door, you have to X (have an immunity boost or if you don't, take a pill from storage. Be wearing a cool vest or if you don't, put one on from storage). 
  • Pipe sizes. A smaller pipe taking the same 1 tile space (for simplicity's sake) but only allows 2.5 kg/s liquid or 250g/s gas. A large pipe taking 2 tiles (or same 1 tile but requires high level materials) that allows 40kg/s / 4kg/s. 
  • Outpost room. A room type with a max of 4 cots, that also requires a fridge, decor item, and toilet all in the same room. Home away from home. 
  • (shamlessly stolen from steam forums) Plant evolution. Same way critters can change to have different needs and outputs, crops should as well. 
  • (also from steam) Vent inputs. NOT something that just allows gas to come into a pipe due to high pressure - that isn't the way game packets work. But the option to have an input vent in a room that leads to a pump that vacuums the gas/liquid into the pipe, pulling it to where the pump is located. This way you can have a centralized distribution network where your pumps use automation to decide where to pull from. 

Some sort of simulation collapse to combat lag. Something like if you had a sealed room with one gas and a bunch of pipes the simulator should be able to calculate the average interaction on the entire area instead of everything individually. 

2 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Some sort of simulation collapse to combat lag.

I was thinking about this when I mentioned extreme fog of war - I'm wondering if there is a way to mod the fog of war to where if there are no buildings in an area *and* no dupe has been there in say, 40 cycles, fog of war returns to that area and the game just stores the info on what was there but no longer calculates temps/gas exchanges/dupe errand list/pathfinding

Firstly BIGGER Storage Containers like 100 tons but with an conveyor input and output that are 4 by 4 titles big.

Another Steamturbine that isn't just for heat deletion, that functions with heaters that burn fuel (coal, nat gas, hydrogen, fission, if you are crazy maybe fusion) that comes with it dupe affort and dangerus conditions.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

There would need to be some kind of balancing factor to prevent us from spamming them.

Make them out of copper :)

*Edit: Almost forgot, TEA, the drink that allowed one nation to overrun the world, must have an affect on dupes!

I would really like there to be morale bonuses for a dupe that eats a variety of meals instead of just go for one of BBQ, Stuffed Berry or Pepper Bread and that's it for your cooking for the rest of the game.  I would like more food recipes to help accomplish this.

I would like to see ranching pufts to be more balanced - more "worth it"

I would like there to be an easier way to boil things (without unbalancing power.) Feels stupid dupes can go to space but can't boil polluted water to clean/no germs....  

More complex automation. It would be nice if you could put a number on a wire instead of just on/off. Imagine being able to move the < > threshold setting to the other end of the wire. You would then be able to set up a thermo sensor and let 3 components read from it, each of those triggering at a different temperature. This means you would not have to have 3 sensors when you need 3 trigger thresholds, which in turn unlocks interesting options as it allows more compact designs.

We can further extend this to 2 input/1 output gates, which adds or subtracts. This would allow stuff like measuring the pressure in two rooms and send oxygen to the room with the lowest pressure.

A better modding API and better documentation (I know they said they are working on that). For instance look at this:

base.Subscribe<Door>(-592767678, Door.OnOperationalChangedDelegate);
	base.Subscribe<Door>(824508782, Door.OnOperationalChangedDelegate);
	base.Subscribe<Door>(-801688580, Door.OnLogicValueChangedDelegate);

Apparently this is "call this method when a certain event takes place", which is a good design. Call door method to act on automation signal only when automation signal change. Prevents wasting a lot of time checking to see nothing changed. The problem is if a modder is to use this, then what does those numbers mean? I have no idea how to link events to seemingly random numbers.

1 hour ago, bmilohill said:

Dupes die of old age

Adding that would be very controversial.

2 hours ago, miauly said:

Other civilizations on other asteroids you can ally with in some ways - trade, or learn something from them, or help them.

As cool as it would be to meet other colonies of dupes once we start exploring space, I don't know that that's in line with the vision the developers have for the game.  Acquiring resources through exploration, not trade and diplomacy, seems to be what they're going for; and tonally I think they want our colony to feel like it's the last remnant of a lost civilization.  I'd welcome with open arms trade or diplomacy if they wanted to go that route though.

More critters boss morb, metane monster, fishs that live in oil and petrol " already made a topic on this fishs". A huge stone critter like onyx from pokemon yei :).

New plants plants that consumes any gases and make cotton.

Other colonys to visit interact, trade or invade. Rimworld caravans like. Without the crazyness of rimworld of your entire colony getting malaria at the same time for example thats just dumb.

Bluff briars make hatches happy and floral scents makes shiny bugs happy. 

Perfect conditions for critters that if achieved make possible to have more materials from them for the same cost.

Gothic decor and other random culture statues and so on.

New traits like paranoia, insomnia, gothic artist, dancer, singer and so on.

Lots of map variations see nubrion map mod smaller version :).

Revive some dinossaurs from fossils because dinossaurs are life.

Blueprints. 

I want the ability to "copy" my versions of various rooms and just plunk everything down in one go and have the dupes dig/build to the best of their ability based on available resources (queue up past available quantities like using sandbox mode with instant build turned off) and current research (if the research is incomplete, it just counts as a dug out space.)

24 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

go and have the dupes dig/build to the best of their ability 

I think what you wanted to say was "go and have the dupes Trap/Entomb themselves to the best of their abilities..."

But seriously i would love this feature. 

8 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Adventure upgrade. An ability to actually "beat" the game by finding something like Maxwell`s Door in DS. It would allow you to take a few dupes to a new base that has different starting conditions like an ice asteroid with very little rock or an asteroid with only caustic and oil biomes and just a bit of dirt so it`s hard to get food then maybe eventually a last level where you start on the surface biome.

I LOVE this idea.  Don't Starve has its "test of skills" with Adventure Mode, and seeing something similar with a series of scenarios in ONI would be great.  Although, you could argue "just get/make your own mods", but I am too lazy, I guess. :p Having an official campaign would also allow for lore and such to be tossed into the mix as well, which is always interesting.

As some others have touched on, have visitors come to the base.  Some will be friendly (and looking to trade) and some will be hostile (and looking to plunder).  Bonus points if the traders can offer materials that are rare or nonexistent on the asteroid.

A mode for playing as explorers to the comets that you go to for resources.  it would be sort of a parallel timestream with the main base.  If you decline to directly control the explorers you'll get back their default amount of resources.

For the robotics I could see a VR setup that a dupe would use to control the robot.  The dupe would level up slower but would have the advantages of not putting their soft, fleshy bodies at risk.

Archived