[Poll] On Character Mods

A WITTY POLL TITLE  

148 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU USE CHARACTER MODS?

2. 2. Why?

• The character I use provides a new interesting way to play the game.
    • The character I use makes the game easy with ton of buffs
    • The character I use provides a challenge.
    • The character I use is my favorite from another franchise.
    • I made my own character mod.
    • No, i do not use character mods.
  3. 3. Why Not?

• Character Mods are overpowered or highly imbalanced.
    • Character Mods provide little depth to existing content.
    • I prefer to play the DS characters over Character mods.
    • Some character mods have lots of details that have been left undeveloped like the exam quotes
    • Yes, I use character mods.
    • Character Mods have little to no effort on their development, whether it be on balancing or aesthetics.
    • Character mods do not fit Don't Starve's artistic style.

Hi all! 

I would wish to ask some questions and raise discussion about the character mods you peruse if you don't mind :) feel free to vote up and discuss here :D

Also, if you have Character Mods to recommend, do so in the comments :)

As much as I’d love to use the teemo mod, there are about 3 problems with current character mods.

1. Some characters are overpowered. Most people who browse the workshop are beginner-intermediate level players, with a handful of advanced players mixed in. As a result, easy/overpowered characters tend to flat to the top of the charts.

2. Missing details. It would be cool to see a mod with Duke Nukem react to every single thing he sees, but the reality is that creating new lines/models/sounds for a character is too much work for casual modders.

3. You can’t play them in public servers. The only time you can play our beloved Garfield is finding a reasonable server with the mod installed. This isn’t even taking into account relative ping difference or the other installed mods which may break the game.

I use modded characters sometimes but they get kinda boring quickly since most of them don't even have special examination quotes ,  don't fit with the game or are simply too OP. 

So i only use characters that provide something interesting and fun to play but at the same time flawed. 

Im extremely picky when it comes to character mods. However, when I find a good one, I'll play it.

However, seeing Wilson's quotes when I expect something different is like a punch in the face, especially when they don't say that the speech file is incomplete.

One day when I've got more spare time, I might try making some of me and the people I play with. In the meantime, I tend not to find them compelling. Many seem to often fall into one of two categories: either minor tweaks such as meter management, or just "has this thing and it's super powerful, rip game". Now, that's absolutely a generalization, but it's common enough to make searching the workshop frustrating. Also, I'm really off-put if the artistic style really contrasts with Klei's base-game work, which is a really tricky thing to succeed at.

99% of the time they don't match the game's aesthetics or themes. It's either a character from a different franchise, or someone's furry oc that no one outside the author and their friends care about. And the few that actually do attempt to fit in with the game often fall a little short on the art side. No matter how close you get to Klei's style... it always feels a little off somehow when it's put into the game.

That, and all the other problems listed in question 3.

6 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

99% of the time they don't match the game's aesthetics or themes. It's either a character from a different franchise, or someone's furry oc that no one outside the author and their friend care about. And the few that actually do attempt to fit in with the game often fall a little short on the art side. No matter how close you get to Klei's style... it always feels a little off somehow when it's put into the game.

That, and all the other problems listed in question 3.

This sums up my opinion so well. Modded characters feel so out of place... I tried a few ones, but it just didn't feel good enough... 

Oh, and examination quotes. Not having own, creative and good quotes is the worst mistake a modded character can have in my opinon. I play the game for its atmosphere, and the character quotes add a lot to it. Mods usually miss that.

Btw, I think that quiestions 2 and 3 should be multiple choice.

This poll is a bit weird tbh... It's impossible to place all character mods in one sack... and then somehow evaluate them together..

You have to analyze them in a case by case basis cuz there is no consensus around balance or design amongst creators 

With that said, I recommend character mods by @Neutral_Steve and @CheeseNuggets101. Both do have nice and creative mods that aren't overpowered and resemble DST art style. I don't usually play with character mods, but once in a while is nice to check out what the creators do for the community. I also like a lot Daniel, The Spectromancer in collaboration with @Fidooop, Sage, and others. It introduces a new mechanic with the level of "tiredness" that makes for an interesting experience.

Ofc there are a lot of mods I personally don't like (mostly style and balance) but again, if you wanna fool around with some silly character from the workshop noone should stop ya ;)

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It's either a character from a different franchise, or someone's furry oc that no one outside the author and their friends care about.

Don't forget the abundant weeb trash anime characters too. (Also gotta love how some of those weeb trash character mods gotta show off their OP abilities on wimpy lil spiders ahahaha.)

My dislike for modded characters comes from the lack of dialogue(usually using wilson quotes), the fact that they are usually OP, and ofc, they don't fit in.

I've thought about using the WIlba and Wormwood mod at one point, but I decided to hold off till the quotes get fleshed out. That's the extent of any character mods I'd play, if mainly to derp about as werewilba.

4 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

Don't forget the abundant weeb trash anime characters too. (Also gotta love how some of those weeb trash character mods gotta show off their OP abilities on wimpy lil spiders ahahaha.)

My dislike for modded characters comes from the lack of dialogue(usually using wilson quotes), the fact that they are usually OP, and ofc, they don't fit in.

I've thought about using the WIlba and Wormwood mod at one point, but I decided to hold off till the quotes get fleshed out. That's the extent of any character mods I'd play, if mainly to derp about as werewilba.

Honestly the ratio of anime characters to non-anime has to be somewhere along the lines of 2:1. It wouldn't be so bad if their artstyle didn't horrifically clash with DS.

6 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I hate literally every mod that contains an AU version of sans. Underfell sans, Inverted fate papyrus, even literal swapswap sans! wtf

My guilty pleasure is playing the regular sans mod. Yeah it's sans, but its fun to play him for the meme, and he's actually pretty balanced and his quotes are good.

if you examine a bee he literally says the entire bee movie script

Character mods are almost always OP. The only character mod I've used is the "Wilba and Wormwood" mod, mostly to try out wormwood since I dont have hamlet. 

After trying him out I'd say wormwood is the only exception I'd make to modded characters since I believe he'd be fitting in a dst enviroment: his design is unique and makes you have to adapt your gameplay, his perks do benefit the team (The farming skill mostly) and he is also a decently challenging character (the fact that he catches fire constantly, and not healing by food). And he was designed by Klei, so its sort of a middle ground thing.

The thing is, most of the why not section applies here,
Modded Characters rarely ever get their own custom quotes because "why should they, I already did enough work with the art"
Modded Characters p. much never fit the game's style, Im sorry but adding white empty eyes is not the only trait of DS art style
Modded Characters rarely are anything else but "Fast but weak" because that's literally the easiest thing to program
Modded Characters are rarely balanced whatsoever, I wont even evaluate here

Honestly the only reason why there's so many for them is because there is a template, so people just do it.
Even though making items is 200% easier and takes less time, people still do characters, which they should know people are semi against because of their bad reputation. Making Modded Content Packs is defo something I'd support over a Character

Made my own for self insert.

Then later down the line I made a huge pack to add a few characters who would hopefully provide new ways for players to play the game.

Aside from Wcy, I don't think anyone in there is too OP. 

Personally, I don't mind character mods at all. Unless they're like, those anime character mods that add a ton of weird, out-of-style, overpowered things that just half the time don't make sense.

I've only ever used 1 character mod for Wagstaff on DST. You should put Dlc/Wagstaff as an option in the Why? section as a those characters are already in DS and are cannon with designs and abilities by klei but aren't in DST so people can't use them outside of the mod or solo DS.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:26 PM, Canis said:

Honestly the ratio of anime characters to non-anime has to be somewhere along the lines of 2:1. It wouldn't be so bad if their artstyle didn't horrifically clash with DS.

Feels like it's way higher than 2:1.

Just now, eternalLocket said:

Feels like it's way higher than 2:1.

50% Anime

20% characters from some other media/game

20% Furry OCs

10% OCs that respect the DS style. (varying in mod quality)

I mean, I can't really take a high moral road here, my only mod is a character mod from SCP, so uuuuuuuh….

1 hour ago, Canis said:

10% OCs that respect the DS style. (varying in mod quality)

Now you gon' head an' slap my mod in thar' partner.
Because sure as ever, respect be a code I live by, Hawyee.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

my only mod is a character mod from SCP

Now hol' up thar' partner, that wouldn't happin'ta' be that there 049 feller now wouldin'it?

13 hours ago, -Variant said:

Now you gon' head an' slap my mod in thar' partner.
Because sure as ever, respect be a code I live by, Hawyee.

Now hol' up thar' partner, that wouldn't happin'ta' be that there 049 feller now wouldin'it?

Uh.
image.png.5469e293169621847d812e9a4ce1aa86.png

Uuuuuhhh….

image.thumb.png.2ab88e592ce10c0fb48fa27f6d0d4eba.png

*hyperventilating* UUUUUUUUUUHHHHH.....

image.thumb.png.cc7ccf35c8122589159002a95de7d713.png

5cd9069e94c48_049no.thumb.png.5661e349470b6e8a4533c009e98ba284.png

Archived