Forlorn Doll (New Willow's skin): A Theory about Willow's past

All this talk about haunted dolls...I can't help but also think of:

"My name is Talking Willow...and I don't like you at all."

creepydollwillow.png.ea798b5e7c246fb0bd6a02ee4017e707.png

(made with this.  I once used this to try and make WENDY, come to think of it...)

All that stuff about possibly having a grandmother who loved her and then being reduced to the Little Match Girl (already one of the MOST DEPRESSING STORIES EVER, klei y u do dis) just makes all of this even _sadder_.  :(  Poor Willow.  So, with all of that, her pyrokinesis (?) isn't so much a manifestation of poor insane girl, but a TAKING BACK CONTROL, an affirmative thing.  I mean, it's still very much crazy.  But _fighting back_ crazy.

As for why the terrorskit didn't seem to do any damage to the floor...I dunno, do the shadow things ever physically affect ANYthing but people, in Don't Starve?  I know there's some weird stuff where like, you can't place something where a shadow creature is, as if it's physically there, but then again, that's just for _that person_.  If a sane player came along right then they'd have no problem.  They ARE real, but they need an insane mind to find their way into the physical world and have any effect...another very Lovecraftian thing about Don't Starve, right from the get go:  Creatures from an eldritch otherworld that can only hurt you if your mind starts breaking...

Side-note:  About the grandmother, and dressing up dolls--when I was a kid, I had a Barbie who didn't have a standard modern (for the time)  wardrobe.  Instead, she was given this big fancy set of clothes that were all _hand-sewn by my great grandma_.  She sent them to me in the mail for Christmas one year.  No, this story isn't going to end with a burned-down orphanage or anything, and she was not the only person who loved me, but I do recall at least one dress that was really old-fashioned and lacy.  I think it was very dark purple with pink roses all over it, and a pink lace collar.  Heh.

...Notorious

Yeah the story is really touching... If I could I'd like to give Willow a hug, because nobody deserves to lose someone and well get abuse for it from the Orphanage Ladies :( Im afraid what the other's backstories are, since Willow's was already tragic

9 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Wow, so this skin actually relates to the origin story of Willow, but it's written inbetween the lines, well congrats and it actually makes sense,

As to why she's chased by the Terrorbeak and why she combusts in the Closet, well we can't tell for sure. All we can do is speculate.

But some evidences from the video show that the Terrorbeak can't cause real Damage to the enviroment, even if it seemed like such, check the video, we get a look at the Floor after Willow is found by Round Olga and Googly-Eyes Hilda (Not Canon, but should be) there is no Damage which the Terrorbeak caused to the Floor.

Reveal hidden contents

BdIlpU4.gif

As to the Combustion, Willow was in the Corner of the Room, and probably paralysed with fear, the Shelves on the side had a Lighter and Bottles (I don't assume Alcohol but MAYBE, yet there were Art Supplies so I have doubts and its just a Supply Closet)

Reveal hidden contents

yefKIXM.png

but I dont think she could overcome the fear. and then again if you look at the door you can already tell the combustion doesn't happen immidiently. we get a spark, then no light, and then the combustion. Also another thing to notice, if Willow already had her supernatural Talent, why wouldn't she burn the Orphanage earlier? Like really, Olga and Hilda seem to abuse her fairly often given by the reactions of them and Willow.

ty :)

Yeap I mean the video is interesting cuz there are a lot of things that aren't explicit... but there is probably a correlation between 2 facts:

• Olga and Bertha took Bernie (probs helps Willow keep her emotions in check)
  • she is placed in a confined space (maybe some claustrophobic feelings too)

that plus the underlying emotions of solitude and being constantly mistreated...  emotional peak... KABOOM!

9 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

As a side Note, I think we can already tell what the Maxwell Short will be about. We know a lot about W. Carter already, so I think it will be a short about how Maxwell managed to get everyone into the Constant

That's probably right... But I believe maybe some character got to meet each other first...

We know from the Puzzles that Wes and Wolfgang come from the circus...

there is a mention of a library in flames .. maybe Willow + Wicker incident...

(This is my first post ever here so hi everybody.)

I always had a headcanon about Don't Starve lore, and the cinematic shocked me because it contains almost everything that I was expecting to see about Willow's childhood in case it was at least in part true. I always thought that some of the Ancients escaped from the Constant to Earth before their civilization was completely exterminated, and there they mixed with the natives after using their powers to blend in with them. Some of their descendants have still strong magic in their blood, and They want to hunt down these descendants to complete the genocide They began long ago by causing their deaths on Earth or exiling them into the Constant. Willow is one of these descendants, and she was born into a family where elemental magic is recurrent, but they kept it secret because common people would never accept that, and because They would kill them all if they were found out. Willow's parents disappeared because They found them, leaving behind little Willow and her old grandmother.

Willow refers to her grandma only when she analyzes the Lesser Glow Berry. Which is a small, wrinkled and glowing berry. This makes me think that Willow's grandma had fire-related powers too that she used in front of her granddaughter to amuse her when she was feeling sad. That would give Willow even more reasons to like fire. But alas, powers beside she is still an old woman and she eventually dies. I personally think that Willow was not younger than 10/11 years old when that happened, because she still remembers her grandma in her adulthood and because I think it would be impossible for Willow to become a scout girl after the orphanage accident (almost everybody seems to have forgotten about that part of Willow's past). Knowing what happened to Willow's parent and realizing that Willow would be hunted down or even banished into the Constant after she would be gone, it was logic for the woman to send her granddaughter to the scouts so she could learn how to survive in a harsh and savage area on her own. And because of that she gave her Bernie, hiding inside of him a sort of protection so that Willow could be safe in case They could track her when she was far from home.

This theory relies heavily on the "Willow has real fire powers" thesis, but think about it: a Shadow Creature hunts down a specific little girl inside an orphanage full of traumatized and unwanted children who were possibly mistreated by the matrons even more than Willow because she was there only for a short time. (Her dress is clean, Bernie was new at the beginning of the cinematic and the rest of the orphanage is a wreck, so the matrons definitely were not the ones who gave her these things.) And it tried again when Willow was alone in that closet. It almost feels like someone from the Constant ordered a hit on her. We know from Winona's short that it was not an isolated accident. Willow was not the first person to be attacked by Them on Earth, and probably she was not the last. (I'm saying that because what we saw in Willow's short might be exactly a failed attempt of how Abigail died.) And, even worse, that was probably not the last time Willow met Them before ending into the Constant.

The question is, if this theory is true, is Willow the keeper of a superior knowledge? No, probably the use of fire is just the tip of the iceberg of her true potential, as Fire magic and Life magic seem to be closely related in the Constant because they are both represented by the Red Gem. (And it just occurred to me that Willow having a "living teddy bear" makes sense in this contest.) Probably she doesn't know how her parents died, she knew about the fire powers because her grandma explained them to her in terms a child could understand (like "fire is your friend and will protect you no matter what", which would be totally in line with some of Willow's quotes about fire), her grandma sent her to the scouts with Bernie and many other children so she didn't even need to question that, then her grandma died, she was sent to an orphanage, and with her protector gone They decided to kill her before she could fully develop her powers, with the result to cause them to awake (or to wake up her inner pyromaniac that allowed her to mix up the chemicals and use her lighter to make everything go boom. But if that was the case, she was really lucky to have caused an explosion instead of a toxic gas that would have killed her in seconds.) We don't know what happened after that, but it is possible that They tried to kill her again, causing her to burn down other places and forcing her to leave any hope for human contact: she already burned down dozens of children so she could live and she doesn't want to feel guilty for other innocent people. Did you ever wonder why her Telltale Heart's quote is "I expected it to be blacker"? I guess now we know why she thought that about a possible representation of her own heart.

Willow was forced to grow up with the mindset "it's me against the world and only Bernie and the fire will help me", and that would make bitter and angry even an adult. Don't Starve Together is Willow's happy ending because now she has human friends who are in her same situation, know about her powers and don't think her to be crazy. Sure, she is still morbidly attached to fire, but after having spent more than ten years at least living like that, how you can blame her?

So, is Willow a once-sweet girl, abandoned, bitter and full of resentment? Possibly not towards her own family, but heck yes. She just does a great job in hiding/ignore it. Her powers seem to rely on strong emotions like fear to work, and probably it was just after she met the other survivors that she actually understood how it all worked and tried to control it to some extent. Before that she could do nothing but being strong and ignore every possible guilt she felt.

If you think that would make Willow insanely relevant for Don't Starve lore, I kindly remind you that Willow seems to be the designed female lead of the game ever since Don't Starve Together came into being. This means that it is very likely that there is something really big going on around her, but we don't know about it yet.

4 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

But some evidences from the video show that the Terrorbeak can't cause real Damage to the enviroment, even if it seemed like such, check the video, we get a look at the Floor after Willow is found by Round Olga and Googly-Eyes Hilda (Not Canon, but should be) there is no Damage which the Terrorbeak caused to the Floor.

i think the camera was just too high to see it

4 hours ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

but I dont think she could overcome the fear. and then again if you look at the door you can already tell the combustion doesn't happen immidiently. we get a spark, then no light, and then the combustion. Also another thing to notice, if Willow already had her supernatural Talent, why wouldn't she burn the Orphanage earlier? Like really, Olga and Hilda seem to abuse her fairly often given by the reactions of them and Willow.

yeah i think more happens in that closet then we get to see the terrorbeak already has struck and we didn't see the spark then so there was a delay from bite to burning

Spoiler
On 5/7/2019 at 8:42 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

20190508021500_1.thumb.jpg.892d0233c291386e152f73640af137d0.jpg

"This doll was found in the attic of someone's late grandmother, as all haunted dolls must legally be."

This line is actually a reference to Haunted Doll Watch from My Brother, My Brother, and Me.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Bluegeist said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"This doll was found in the attic of someone's late grandmother, as all haunted dolls must legally be."

This line is actually a reference to Haunted Doll Watch from My Brother, My Brother, and Me.

Reveal hidden contents

- seller on ebay: "my grandma was a kind spirit and my aunt Angelica was a healer and a psychic in her country"

- porcelain head, arms and legs, 16" tall, blond wavy hair, Victorian attire

- plays music

- she is an angel of healing (the doll)

- "Samantha can heal a particular part of the body"... 

- doll sold in ebay for starting bid for 55 dollars 

- 100% satisfaction guaranteed

that's a weird reffy if it's really related to Willow at all xD

I'm gonna go on a limb that the reference is probs a joke and inspiration for the design cuz other than the "Victorian attire, porcelain head" and the "as all haunted dolls must legally be" bit too... there isn't much in common with Willow :D... .. 

Willow as "angel of healing" ... yeap right...  xD

8 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I'm gonna go on a limb that the reference is probs a joke and inspiration for the design cuz other than the "Victorian attire, porcelain head" and the "as all haunted dolls must legally be" bit too... there isn't much in common with Willow :D... .. 

Willow as "angel of healing" ... yeap right...  xD

I think Bluegeist said a valid point actually, because the skins not always are references to ONE thing exclusively.

By example, Year of the Pig King skin of Wigfrid talks about the persistent and fighter nature of Wigfrid, but at same time, is a reference to the wrestler Ultimate Warrior & Million Dollar Baby.

Spoiler

Wigfrid_Ultimate_Performer_Portrait.thumb.png.ee3a7abc7850a904a5ec96da8c8b5ade.png

So, probably Forlorn Doll have diverse references. And after all, Willow is a reference to Charlie (Firestarter), and she´s orphan too in the final of her novel. 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, FuffledBeeQueen said:

As a side Note, I think we can already tell what the Maxwell Short will be about. We know a lot about W. Carter already, so I think it will be a short about how Maxwell managed to get everyone into the Constant

I have a feeling they'll show us about the train crash and how he came to the possesion of the Codex Umbra, but you may be more correct than me.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Olga and Googly-Eyes Hilda (Not Canon, but should be)

Hilda? You mean Wigfrid's aunt?

There is a quote for Sleeping Beefalo on Wigfrid's speech file that says: "Söunds like Aunt Hilda."

13 minutes ago, mathem99 said:

There is a quote for Sleeping Beefalo on Wigfrid's speech file that says: "Söunds like Aunt Hilda."

"Olga & Hilda" are the women shown in the video of Willow update.

29 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

I think Bluegeist said a valid point actually, because the skins not always are references to ONE thing exclusively.

By example, Year of the Pig King skin of Wigfrid talks about the persistent and fighter nature of Wigfrid, but at same time, is a reference to the wrestler Ultimate Warrior & Million Dollar Baby.

Reveal hidden contents

Wigfrid_Ultimate_Performer_Portrait.thumb.png.ee3a7abc7850a904a5ec96da8c8b5ade.png

So, probably Forlorn Doll have diverse references. And after all, Willow is a reference to Charlie (Firestarter), and she´s orphan too in the final of her novel. 

Absolutely... I even said that to you when you mentioned the haunted doll reffy...

I'm pretty sure the devs took a lot of inspiration from different sources for the DESIGN (which I actually mentioned in the same post BTW) BUT this time around they decided to include a lot of emotional info that totally brings up another level of interpretation. 

1 minute ago, Tapirus said:

"Olga & Hilda" are the women shown in the video of Willow update.

Yes, but Wigfrid's aunt is also named Hilda like one of the two matrons, unless it's an amazing coincidence that they're both named "Hilda". If that's not the case could that mean that Wigfrid visited her aunt in the orphanage at a certain point and maybe met Willow alongside?

22 minutes ago, mathem99 said:

I have a feeling they'll show us about the train crash and how he came to the possesion of the Codex Umbra, but you may be more correct than me.

I hope so... That was the train crash with a circus wagon... Wolfy and Wes plus Max *wink wink* xD

Just now, mathem99 said:

Yes, but Wigfrid's aunt is also named Hilda like one of the two matrons, unless it's an amazing coincidence that they're both named "Hilda". If that's not the case could that mean that Wigfrid visited her aunt in the orphanage at a certain point and maybe met Willow alongside?

Those are not canon names for the matrons as far as I know.

1 hour ago, mathem99 said:

WAIT REALLY? XD
that was purely coindental tbh, when I just saw their faces I read "That short, round one is Olga, and that Tall Googly Eyed one is Hilda", Honestly Hild could be Heather, but that won't match as well as Olga and Hilda

Archived