Few words about Maxwell's rework

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

But can't Maxwell use pigs too? As well as his puppets? I don't see how Woodie would be better if they both have access to pig armies.

Woodie can get them to follow him longer for the same amount of meat, so he gets more bang for his bucks in the long term.

More shadow stuff (Clones can't be the only secret the umbra holds...)! An option to enable/disable his dapperness, like the idea for a cigar item I had in another thread.

But most importantly...

We need to be able to upgrade the umbra or something to get more clones. I want armies!

6 hours ago, Bleksmits said:

maybe he could equip hes minions with armor helmets that little change could make big difference, and back packs maybe, its like you fill back pack with stuff and sht hang it on shadow minion who will carry your bag pack but wont chop or mine anymore till he dies and drops your back pack on ground.

I think that would add a nice little negative to him. Though I feel like anything equipped to them should also disappear when they die. The items in their backpack should drop to the ground in the place where they die. There should also be a command so Maxwell can make them empty their backpacks. The command could possibly be related to the Umbra.

My only issue with equipping the clones with armor though, is that they don't seem all that smart. So putting armor on them seems like you'd be throwing away gear, just because. All the clones are "active" all the time. It'd be nice if you could turn them "off" in a sense. Maybe remove Maxwell's ability to inspect the Umbra in his inventory in exchange for the ability to make the clones active or idle.

and thinking about new downside interesting one. hes puppets In 1, 21, 41.. nights goes against  they master and another players, axe man turns to something maniacal like shadow Wilson from old good Ds menu years back. another minions something like that tho. When Max is insane then shadow puppets has like 50% more or less chance become to aggressive shadow monsters. Swords man to beak workers to crawlers, its like in Matrix Max losing control when insane and then owners of server breaches in and retakes they property, shadow fuel. 

Yes it will make max bit unstable to play and harder managable but its Ds universe git gud * 

On 5/11/2019 at 2:18 AM, Bleksmits said:

and thinking about new downside interesting one. hes puppets In 1, 21, 41.. nights goes against  they master and another players, axe man turns to something maniacal like shadow Wilson from old good Ds menu years back. another minions something like that tho. When Max is insane then shadow puppets has like 50% more or less chance become to aggressive shadow monsters. Swords man to beak workers to crawlers, its like in Matrix Max losing control when insane and then owners of server breaches in and retakes they property, shadow fuel. 

Yes it will make max bit unstable to play and harder managable but its Ds universe git gud * 

I really want to add on this idea because I really like it:

-When insane, there is a 50% chance per 4 minutes for your shadows to turn on you.

-Shadows immediately turn on you when your sanity hits 0.

-Shadow puppets grow in size and become more visually menacing. (almost similar to Bernie)

-Aggressive shadows have 500 health and do 40 damage a hit.

-Slain shadow puppets (when turned on Maxwell) have a small (10%?) chance to drop a blueprint for shadow tools. (ex: Dark Axe, Dark Pickaxe, Dark Shovel, and ofc Dark Sword.) Each item requires living logs and a varying amount of nightmare fuel to craft, they work as basically a more durability version of their golden counterparts. However, they drain sanity per use. These items would be crafted under the codex umbra tab. (Including the Dark sword, which would basically be in both magic and codex tab, which would also allow early dark swords without shadow manipulator if you farm for them).

Here are some ideas that could go well with these above ideas:

-The Codex Umbra can be used as a crafting station while in Maxwell's inventory, similar to the Key to the City in Hamlet. Crafting something in the cofex tab would make Maxwell do the "book-reading" animation instead of the generic crafting animation.

-Using the blueprints for shadow tools as any character except Maxwell will have no affect, and each character will have a specific speech string for it. (ex: Wilson: "I can't quite wrap my head around it.")

-Puppets still should be more useful, and them having the sole purpose of being farmed at low sanity shouldn't be a thing.

-Shadow Puppets have a very small change (1%?) to drop a special Night Armor blueprint when doing actions, such as chopping trees. The blueprint adds the crafting recipe to the codex umbra instead of to the magic tab.

-Magic items that are both in the Magic tab and the Codex tab are less expensive recipe-wise in the latter.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

-Slain shadow puppets (when turned on Maxwell) have a small (10%?) chance to drop a blueprint for shadow tools. (ex: Dark Axe, Dark Pickaxe, Dark Shovel, and ofc Dark Sword.)

Hey how about this. Blueprints i think is to cheesy if you will get them then you will lose interest in aggressive shadow puppet farming. What if these shadows place of blueprints drops these items them selves with  lower than 100% durability like items form ornate chests in ruins, with durability 25% to 75%. and what shadows can do in one place? They can stack. picking two shadow pickaxes with 32% and 43% you get one pickaxe with 75% in your inventory. And taking next shadow pickaxe with 70% durability in inventory you will get still one pickaxe but with 145% so you just stacking shadow tools to 999% except dark sword because dark sword with 999% durability seems bit op. And next idea to what i give bit less credit max can unite shadow tools to shadow multi tool who is mining cooping digging, it changes appearance depending which way it is used. and more less credit to idea combined multi tool with atrium heart gets eternal durability. for balance equipping such artifact in Ds universe your sanity is 0  your hp plays Russian roulette it can goo even some hp up or you can remain with just few hp points. 

nah i am just silly.

I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone, make Max and Woodie compliment each other. Max should be a "stay at home" gatherer and Woodie should be a "exploratory" gatherer. 

Maxwell's powers are now scaled around the presence of Magic. His clones are more powerful when it is the full moon (+25% speed/damage), night (+10% speed/damage, stacks with full moon), near evil flowers (+3% for each within 5 tiles), near night lights (+15% per level and duelists can be commanded to attack/retreat), or in the ruins (+75%, duelists have perfect kiting AI). However, clones being enhanced will cause them to wear out  and die after some time (5 day timer * current enhancement level).

Woodie will be better at just arriving on the scene and starting to gather. For one living log, 2 gold, and a nightmare fuel Woodie can make the work bell. When rung (the bell has 5 uses), it will summon 3 beaverpigs (Hairier pigman that become Werebeavers whenever Woodie does). The beaver pigs are allied for 8 (4 if another character uses it) minutes and act just like normally allied pigs (they will not however, target Webber or Wortox if they ring the bell). Woodie can use these helpers to clear out swaths of forest.

Summoned beaver pigs have a 50% chance of wearing a hat, and a 15% chance of dropping that hat when they leave.

1 hour ago, S19TealPenguin said:

I'm gonna kill two birds with one stone, make Max and Woodie compliment each other. Max should be a "stay at home" gatherer and Woodie should be a "exploratory" gatherer. 

Maxwell's powers are now scaled around the presence of Magic. His clones are more powerful when it is the full moon (+25% speed/damage), night (+10% speed/damage, stacks with full moon), near evil flowers (+3% for each within 5 tiles), near night lights (+15% per level and duelists can be commanded to attack/retreat), or in the ruins (+75%, duelists have perfect kiting AI). However, clones being enhanced will cause them to wear out  and die after some time (5 day timer * current enhancement level).

Woodie will be better at just arriving on the scene and starting to gather. For one living log, 2 gold, and a nightmare fuel Woodie can make the work bell. When rung (the bell has 5 uses), it will summon 3 beaverpigs (Hairier pigman that become Werebeavers whenever Woodie does). The beaver pigs are allied for 8 (4 if another character uses it) minutes and act just like normally allied pigs (they will not however, target Webber or Wortox if they ring the bell). Woodie can use these helpers to clear out swaths of forest.

Summoned beaver pigs have a 50% chance of wearing a hat, and a 15% chance of dropping that hat when they leave.

Maxwell as a "Stay at home" gather and Woodie as an "exploratory" gather makes so much sense and works so well, I'm honestly surprised I haven't thought of this before.

Any idea that allows the Night Light to not be useless is good in my book. It's such a cool item but it's so horrible.

The idea of "beaverpigs" doesn't strike me as a good idea. I'd much rather see changes to the Werebeaver instead.

While typing this, I just got an idea. Woodie could be able to craft something along the lines of a totem. When placed on the ground, a marker appears on the Werebeaver's hud, pointing towards the totem. It can work as a map marker without the use of a map.

Also one gnaw to dig up tree stumps, klei pls

7 hours ago, S19TealPenguin said:

I didn't want the bell to summon just "normal" pigmen, I wanted there to be a bit more flair to it.

4 hours ago, metallichydra said:

beavers: new pond mob

So... This mod?

image.thumb.png.193627226b7377be0be012d30f090139.png

I’m just hoping for the cinematic to have Maxwell with in-game proportions, not his single player “Say pal,” proportions. 

Also I noticed that the character refreshes thus far have been given a buff in combat, so I’m expecting the same for Maxwell’s shadow duelists.

Regardless I don’t think he will get his refresh anytime soon since there are many characters worse than him who need reworked. 

I remembered that I have this theme... 

And we need more shadows or some new Maxwell abilities in shadow magic. 

And once again I ask you, dear developers, make shadows more "smart". And do not rush to update this character:wilson_dorky:

(sorry, just had the sudden urge here to write my wishes)

Just now, Russian Philin said:

I remembered that I have this theme... 

And we need more shadows or some new Maxwell abilities in shadow magic. 

And once again I ask you, dear developers, make shadows more "smart". And do not rush to update this character:wilson_dorky:

(sorry, just had the sudden urge here to write your wishes)

"Do not rush to update this character"

Considering the fact that they currently working on a different character entirely, I can be certain that they wont.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:59 PM, Bee2017 said:

Please Klei rework Max before making more new characters.

I wouldn't count him in the priority rework list. Woody is first in line but I can see Wendy, Webber, Wes and Wilson being in front of Maxwel. the 3rd DLC characcter can definitely come to the constant by then

The Maxwell rework, in my opinion, should be fairly simple:

• Be able to toggle kiting for the duellists
  • Make it so Shadow Diggers always target different tree stumps so as to not waste time

That's all he needs, however it would be nice if they:

• Buffed his hunger to 175
  • Reworked the duellist so that it mimicked the player's movements and actions (That way it copies your exact kiting pattern)
  • Potentially added a ranged duellist with for example a boomerang, not moving when throwing or catching it. 

I love how everyone is discussing stat changes or new shadows. If you made shadows copy your actions that's already a straight upgrade. Personally I hope Max is the one who will be using the "lunarbook" in files. Maybe he could trade his sanity to summon a gestalt to give sanity to someone else. The way Wortox trades his hunger for your health. I mean Max is the "magic" character no? With the shadows turning their back on him it makes sense he would find another. That's just a fun little gimmick though. I dont like the whole "losing control of shadows" idea because then there wouldnt be a point. Just play Woodie and get a tam. I think Max is perfectly balanced and what needs addressing is his duelist and digger. Maybe make it unable to mine marble around base and have duelist mimic you.

On 5/10/2019 at 2:06 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

But can't Maxwell use pigs too? As well as his puppets? I don't see how Woodie would be better if they both have access to pig armies.

I guess if someone wanted to get technical about it, Woodie befriends pigs for longer for a given piece of meat. I think twice as long? So it would be more efficient, resource-wise. 

Archived