Few words about Maxwell's rework

23 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

"I am Great Maxwell - The Master of Shadow Magic! I am the one who trapped you there using my powerful shadow spells!"
"What can you do?"
"Gather wood faster."

Curtain

I know you’re making a joke, but max can also use them to lock himself at low sanity for nightmare fuel or mine huge amounts of rocks and gold.

They are pretty bad at fighting, but they really don’t need to be good at it.

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

He needs backup dancers,:wilson_ecstatic:

That's already in the game! :p

I would like to see a revamped shadow digger, having the prompt to dig up a bush like you're holding a shovel yourself would make them more useful.

Preventing duelists from engaging tentacles would be nice too. Maybe even being up-gradable when you give them night armor, dark sword or extra nightmare fuel. ( like gears but with increased damage and max hp instead)

Other than that I feel like Maxwell is in a pretty good spot right now. I don't want him to change too much.

The Shadow Minions can only do /dance, even when Maxwell does /step, /robot, or /chicken.

CarlZalph's made a mod that was able to make the minions do this, but it's client-side only and it has a delay to it due to a "polling method to see if they should change the dance" :'(

Chicken

Spoiler

5cd0f58e499c0_chickengif.gif.181aec442654d93c70bbb837ea1bbd9e.gif

Robot

Spoiler

5cd0f59124f12_robotgif.gif.19d0ef37d311c5bd784c4fbb2e0750d1.gif

Step

Spoiler

step.gif.6776fadd8720137ee2b4e8e74a87eb8d.gif

9 hours ago, lakhnish said:

The Shadow Minions can only do /dance, even when Maxwell does /step, /robot, or /chicken.

CarlZalph's made a mod that was able to make the minions do this, but it's client-side only and it has a delay to it due to a "polling method to see if they should change the dance" :'(

Chicken

Hide contents

5cd0f58e499c0_chickengif.gif.181aec442654d93c70bbb837ea1bbd9e.gif

Robot

Hide contents

5cd0f59124f12_robotgif.gif.19d0ef37d311c5bd784c4fbb2e0750d1.gif

Step

Hide contents

step.gif.6776fadd8720137ee2b4e8e74a87eb8d.gif

I love how maxwell looks around disturbed watching the shadows dance.

People seem to want character cinematics to show them how each character got sent to Constant.

But what if that'll be Maxwell's cinematic? An entire video dedicated to him tricking every survivor. That'd be pretty cool if it was almost the last rework.

Y'know, every previous character video would be preparing the ground for Maxwell's video.

9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

People seem to want character cinematics to show them how each character got sent to Constant.

But what if that'll be Maxwell's cinematic? An entire video dedicated to him tricking every survivor. That'd be pretty cool if it was almost the last rework.

Y'know, every previous character video would be preparing the ground for Maxwell's video.

I like your thoughts, friend. Sounds attractive, and especially for me(Ah you understood:wilson_sneaky:)

7 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I'd bet that too.

Not exactly in Maxwell as responsible for bringing everyone to the constant (although it makes sense), but specifically on the theory that a video can have intertwined parts with the other videos, thus telling a little bit more of the story.

Having experimented with shadow duelists a bit, they’re actually pretty good so long as you’re:

1. Not fighting a boss

2. Not fighting more than one mob

3. Constantly attacking the mob 

The problem here is really number 3, as you would either need to tank (much too squishy at 75hp) or use ranged attacks (much too expensive). 

Oddly, a simple fix would be giving him a unique staff with negligible damage and high durability.

21 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Honestly, either this or a showcase on Maxwell creating the world as we know it will make me extremely happy. We already have backstory for Maxwell, which is already much more than we have with any other character besides Wilson.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:26 AM, Canis said:

a showcase on Maxwell creating the world as we know it will make me extremely happy.

With music accompanying similar to the Gorge.Something like the theme to the movie Millions as Maxwell accenutates the world while also starting to gradually look exhausted on the throne.

bad idea: new shadow for Maxwell:

shadow picker / shadow something else

have a backpack

has 4 slots

picks up items on the ground

you cannot access its inventory

when there's nothing to pick up on the ground, it will try to give the items to you

will only pick up "raw" materials / do not pick up armor, equipment, tools, weapons, hats and such.

crafting recipe: 2 nightmare fuel, 4 grass, 4 twigs.

is a worker shadow (does not attack enemies, same health as digger, miner and chopper shadow, avoids enemies)

it would take 20% of max. sanity, just like the other shadow workers

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:

I like this idea, maybe also have a shadow harvester of sorts, where it goes around and harvests stuff like twigs grass and berries. then you have that shadow pick up the harvested items that dropped to the ground, except maybe still be able to access its inventory, lest we get issues. Would make max more versatile for more common things, plus the Shadow picker would help other harvesting tasks like wood or stone. 

6 hours ago, metallichydra said:

have a backpack

has 4 slots

Shadow porter, a discount Chester that can follow even between servers.(Caves) It would make sense considering his backpack examine quote and it could be a nice addition to his puppets. He splits his mind to make his life easier.

I wish there were porters around here.

–Maxwell about backpacks

Honestly, not sure how to really rework Maxwell, as a Maxwell main. Mainxwell? I don't know.

Point is, I think Maxwell is in a great position right now. He is definitely balanced as is, and his play style personally is enjoyable, even if I manage to completely screw it up entirely. but these last 2 reworks have me personally on the ropes on future reworks. Once you get past the objectively bad characters, and the characters that have no actual downside, what of the middle ground? 

I would say adding more shadows to mess with would sell a rework. Currently, Duelists are obsolete and need a sizable buff to not be a useless object, if a Woodie is willing to hang around(sort of a chance position to be in but it still applies) then loggers are obsolete, as you have an eternal wood farm that has actually intelligence, the miners are okay but can be annoying at times, and you literally have no reason to have a digger as often as possible. I do like the idea of a shadow minion that is like a chest, but I feel like with how shadows work (low hp, just follow you everywhere with no regard to safety), it could be annoying to not only lose 1 or 2 nightmare fuel, but whatever he is carrying. The main goal is to either add new shadows or rework the old ones as well as rework the AI to be better, items would be pretty pointless, if anything interesting. My ideas for shadow reworks is to allow for a few more to be used, AKA have more than 3 at any given moment, make the existing ones better and more interesting (#shadowduelistsdrool). Perhaps an interesting item to have is a pocket void item, which would be a portable void that can act as both a chest and a vacuum. You can place either a chest that for each item in a slot it reduces max sanity, and the void would suck up items and possibly destroy a few things, but that could be used as grief material and not as useful as a hammer, so likely not. Maybe as a new downside, Max can take more damage from shadows, which lines up with "on a first name basis with the night."

Also, Woddie is technically a better logger than Maxwell if you can get followers like pigs to help you out, Max can only have 3 while Woodie can have infinite pigs molesting trees for a living. Just don't enter Werebeaver since pigs don't consider gnawing as chopping.

2 hours ago, Mack Swell said:

Also, Woddie is technically a better logger than Maxwell if you can get followers like pigs to help you out, Max can only have 3 while Woodie can have infinite pigs molesting trees for a living. Just don't enter Werebeaver since pigs don't consider gnawing as chopping.

But can't Maxwell use pigs too? As well as his puppets? I don't see how Woodie would be better if they both have access to pig armies.

17 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

But can't Maxwell use pigs too? As well as his puppets? I don't see how Woodie would be better if they both have access to pig armies.

I would think so. The only reason to play Woodie is because you like the way he plays. Otherwise, you're better off with Maxwell for resource gathering. And the more I think about it, that shadow gatherer idea might not see much actual use. Since you're better off just going for Krampus' bag or the piggyback, and Chester.

maybe he could equip hes minions with armor helmets that little change could make big difference, and back packs maybe, its like you fill back pack with stuff and sht hang it on shadow minion who will carry your bag pack but wont chop or mine anymore till he dies and drops your back pack on ground.

Archived