Beta branch for the release patch?

3 hours ago, GrindThisGame said:

If they release it un-tested...thing will likely go very bad unless the new content really is purely cosmetic and not really game changing.

Oh ye of little faith.  I, for one, have confidence in the talented lads and lasses at Klei.  The game will launch with bugs whether or not we get a chance to test it for them, but I highly doubt they'll be bugs of the "very bad" variety.

9 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

They already told us there will be 2 new biomes for the release... Given the bugs in every preview branch until now, they will really need help to find at least most of them  But 1 week should be enough. I think, they´ll provide a preview 1 week prior to release to get rid of most of the nasty things.

If someone (also the devs) want to get a look at a desaster-release, look up "Astroneer". The´ve done everything wrong in every way possible. Why? because they wont listen to the early access users, and havent provided a preview for weeks prior to launch, while they changed too much of the gameplay.

3 biomes:

In late May, we will be coming out of Early Access with new content (3 new biomes, new creatures, new buildings, and more), and official mod support, making it possible for players to create game content of their own.

11 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

f someone (also the devs) want to get a look at a desaster-release, look up "Astroneer". The´ve done everything wrong in every way possible.

I`m not sure. I played it on release and aside of it having some of the beta bugs unfixed it wasn`t too bad. I saw some occasional sinking ito the ground which was annoying but mostly it wasn`t too broken. They managed to introduce a crash causing bug like a month later though.

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I`m not sure. I played it on release and aside of it having some of the beta bugs unfixed it wasn`t too bad. I saw some occasional sinking ito the ground which was annoying but mostly it wasn`t too broken. They managed to introduce a crash causing bug like a month later though.

The game was far from finished... the storm system was not even there anymore, because they decided to release the game, while they rework it from scratch... Rovers sunk into the floor, unable to dig out, because everytime it sunk even deeper. The alien-monuments not functioning for many users, crashes, lag, multiplayer not playable. I call that a very bad decision to release such a crap. They fixed much now, but the release day was a pure desaster. And reviews on steam gone down and down. No developer can want this.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

The game was far from finished... the storm system was not even there anymore, because they decided to release the game, while they rework it from scratch... Rovers sunk into the floor, unable to dig out, because everytime it sunk even deeper. The alien-monuments not functioning for many users, crashes, lag, multiplayer not playable. I call that a very bad decision to release such a crap. They fixed much now, but the release day was a pure desaster. And reviews on steam gone down and down. No developer can want this.

I played on release the day it got out and had no bugs at all, I don't know what you are talking about. The storm system was annoying and they removed it to rework it and ship it with a new update.

I think 3 biomes, new buildings and maybe more gives a lot of chance to errors and bugs. Maybe they're confident in their skills at correcting the found bugs quickly " because normally they do :)". I would prefer a preview for personal reasons and to avoid bad reviews on launch.

Edit: Idk much about astroneer but the few i heard was exactly about how bad it was because of bugs on launch.

Well I don't think the release date has been put on the steam page itself has it?  So they could still delay it if needs be.  While I'd love to play it soon (hell I'm recovering from surgery so seems like a perfect time for EA to me ;)) I'd actually prefer to wait a little longer if it means them getting the final product nice and polished for their release debut on steam. 

More polish=better reviews=better reception=more sales=longer legs=more content :D That and Klei thoroughly deserve a smash hit sales and review wise on this.

Although even as is it's a pretty good release.  If you want an example of a bad one just go look at Thea 2 atm.  I loved Thea and can see things to love about Thea 2 but holy crap is it full of roughness, it still has bug report buttons in-game and the first patch implemented voice lines that didn't make launch with planned patches for totally not EA features such as 'loading from the pause screen', zoom, cloud save and achievements.  It's not a good look. At least it's still being worked on though, it's just going to hurt their launch numbers :(

3 hours ago, Chaoticlusts said:

Well I don't think the release date has been put on the steam page itself has it?  So they could still delay it if needs be.  While I'd love to play it soon (hell I'm recovering from surgery so seems like a perfect time for EA to me ;)) I'd actually prefer to wait a little longer if it means them getting the final product nice and polished for their release debut on steam. 

More polish=better reviews=better reception=more sales=longer legs=more content :D That and Klei thoroughly deserve a smash hit sales and review wise on this.

Although even as is it's a pretty good release.  If you want an example of a bad one just go look at Thea 2 atm.  I loved Thea and can see things to love about Thea 2 but holy crap is it full of roughness, it still has bug report buttons in-game and the first patch implemented voice lines that didn't make launch with planned patches for totally not EA features such as 'loading from the pause screen', zoom, cloud save and achievements.  It's not a good look. At least it's still being worked on though, it's just going to hurt their launch numbers :(

hope you get well and good recovery, man. GBU!

m4JRWLd.gif.20577a826206f89b1d88d5c4b08e

10 hours ago, Chaoticlusts said:

Well I don't think the release date has been put on the steam page itself has it?  So they could still delay it if needs be. 

Despite the fact that they have announced it, they can still delay it. In fact I think they should if the alternative is to release with half implemented new biomes or whatever the problem is. Working flawlessly on release day is more important than releasing on a specific date. It's not like they have a contract with a company to print boxes and fill them with discs and stuff on a certain date.

1 hour ago, Junksteel said:

Please no, guys. I scheduled my vacations and made a deal with wife to travel with kids in the release date. I'll have a stroke if it doesn't come out on May 28 haha.

You misread the ad. You can't send off your family for 3 years even if it says "Unlimited vacation".

1382967359.jpeg

I think we will have a preview, monday or tuesday. As this last upgrade will only have new biomes, new creatures, maybe new plants and new recipes, there won't be changed much on the systems of the game. And as these things are more graphical and data additions, one week would be enough to find possible bugs. In the QoL upgrades a lot of things got changed, so it required more testing, as the systems are complex and a change can cause bugs.

"I changed something, but it's so minor that it won't cause problems and I don't have to test much" sounds like somebody well on the way to release something horribly buggy. Often bugs doesn't come from what you just added, but rather how it interacts with something you didn't consider it to interact with. I can see many ways new biomes can mess up existing stuff. What happens to puffs if they are in a new type of gas? In theory the same as if they are in hydrogen, but are you sure without testing?

Besides the obvious bug causing issues, what about game balance? What if the new biomes are useless or so much better than an existing biome becomes useless? What if a new critter grants so much of some resource that any other means of obtaining that resource becomes too much hassle because you have plenty? There are plenty of ways to hurt a game without actually adding new code, just new content using the existing code.

I have to say that I don't think Klei will mess up badly in regards to game balance (they have done well so far), but even the best person will make mistakes occasionally meaning nobody is good enough to do a release without proper testing.

You guys are like drug addicts!  You know you just want the preview because you can not wait to see the new upgrades!  I mean honestly, how many new players do you think this game will pull?  Personally, I just want them to get to work on the upgrades that will drive revenue to the company.  

7 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

I dont know, whats your understanding of "new biomes", but mine would be, they add a bunch of new materials, new environment, und also, of course, things to do with it. Plenty of possible bugs coming that path.

Well not really. New materials will be like old materilas but with different stats. Using the old heat trnasfer, phase transition, mining systems etc. Not much bug potential here. New critters can use the old critter movement system as well as taming and reproduction systems just with different stats and materials consumed/produced. Same bug possibility mods would cause (like new critter mods). Fabricating things out of the new stuff would use the same fabrication systems the cooking stations use so it`s still not as buggy. Just add new recipies.

They can avoid bugs as long as they won`t add something completely new like critters breaking walls sort of stuff we don`t have yet.

3 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Well not really. New materials will be like old materilas but with different stats. Using the old heat trnasfer, phase transition, mining systems etc. Not much bug potential here. New critters can use the old critter movement system as well as taming and reproduction systems just with different stats and materials consumed/produced. Same bug possibility mods would cause (like new critter mods). Fabricating things out of the new stuff would use the same fabrication systems the cooking stations use so it`s still not as buggy. Just add new recipies.

They can avoid bugs as long as they won`t add something completely new like critters breaking walls sort of stuff we don`t have yet.

I agree.  The systems in place can now be duplicated to create "new" content.  Slap a new image and stats on the same code for an animal, and you have new content but not really a serious game breaking bug risk.  New biomes aren't going to create new gas interactions, or change how heat transfers.   They have what they need to expand now.  

Now, if they come out with a new mechanic, sure that would carry more risk.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

New materials will be like old materials but with different stats.

True, but if they just do a reskin kind of addition, they still need to look into game balance. Besides even if they just add new elements, they still need to add new recipes and/or machinery or the newly added biomes will not really be interesting. Just think about slime with the dedicated machines, critters and plants and it's all linked to just one biome. If the new biomes have nothing like that, they will feel like half additions and something, whcih can be ignored ingame. I don't think that is their goal.

Another thing nobody seems to have mentioned is they will add better/official mod support. Regardless of what they do with mods, that has to do with code changes.

I´m sorry, but i disagree. They always had bugs, even in the smallest additions and changes. Its natural, and not everyone encountered them. 

And everytime some of the old bugs rise again. 

I dont think, they are to stupid to find them, but we all know, the last weeks before release are hard. The mind is on the final date, and testing stuff over and over and over ist killing everyone.

Archived