Sad but true, the new disease system has caused me to quit playing...

With the new disease system I find I don't want to bother playing the game anymore. I'm not asking for change, or ranting, just sharing how it's made me feel. I'm not saying it's too hard, or too whatever, it's just the feel of the little microcosm has changed into something I no longer enjoy.

I don't enjoy having always at least 1-2 dupes Ill, and no way to prevent that that isn't gamey- or cheese tactic. It's trivially easy to do in a cheese way, but... meh. I don't connect and care about the little dupes in the same way I did.

Also I used to fear slimelung (for example). And build carefully to control for it and keep my habitat healthy. Now? Who cares...

So I've found I put the game aside and moved on, which makes me sad. It took me awhile to isolate why I had left the game, and finally I figured it out when I just cold stopped in my current game when one dupe got poisoning and another slime lung and all it meant to me was some coughing and work slow down... (or go take a pill) I think it's the work slowdown that is just annoying. It's not like an actual interesting crisis, it's just... bleh, boring and pointless imo.  It doesn't interestingly involve me... oh here's a pill, now go on your way. I used to have dupes have to take CARE of a seriously sick friend, and it was connecting me to the tale of the colony...

I wasn't totally happy with the previous disease system, don't get me wrong- but the heart of this new system isn't for me.

If you always have 1-2 Dupes ill, you're not taking enough steps to prevent disease. I'm on cycle 210 of my QOL 3 colony, and I've had a grand total of three ilnesses in all that time. Two cases of food poisoning and one of slimelung.

Cleaning your water isn't cheesy or gamey. Separating your colony into safe areas and potentially slimelung infested areas, and adding a spacesuit dock between the two isn't cheesy or gamey. If anything, I prefer how infection is much more common if you're not careful, but prevention still works. Prior to QOL 3 it was trivial to avoid food poisoning, and now sterilizing your water is worth the effort.

Now if you want to argue that sickness isn't a big deal now, and you can ignore it with only minor penalties, I'd agree. I'd like something where Dupes got bedridden, but not as severe as the old system where Slimelung could drag on for a long, long time, and potentially kill your Dupes. But the reduction in disease penalties is hardly the entire game. If they stripped out disease entirely I'd miss it, but it wouldn't be sufficient reason to abandon the game, since there are lots of other challenges.

I've got people running around sick.  The real sad part about it is I don't really care.  Before if you started getting infected you had to make a change.  That immunity started dropping you needed to drop everything and make sure that dupe didn't get sick or they would be out of commission or at worst dead.

1 minute ago, 0xFADE said:

I've got people running around sick.  The real sad part about it is I don't really care.  Before if you started getting infected you had to make a change.  That immunity started dropping you needed to drop everything and make sure that dupe didn't get sick or they would be out of commission or at worst dead.

Exactly my thoughts...:wilson_ecstatic:

I stop playing from the release of the sable version. I hoped klei devs maked some of the annoying things like balm lilies imposible of compost or abyssalite impossible to be converted in sand, or more ways to use them. No luck yet. 

The devs have said they wanted doctors and treatment to big a routine part of the game. They didn't accomplish that. If anything, they've reduced the need for sickbays and ongoing treatment.

It used to be that once a Dupe got Slimelung, they desperately needed to spend time in a med bay. It was the only practical way to recover in a reasonably time, or keep them alive. They also needed "doctor's visits" from other Dupes to speed up recovery, though unfortunately there was no skill required so any Dupe could provide that care.

Now Dupes spend no time in sick bay at all. They take a pill and it's over. That is, if you bother to make pills for them.

I can see how the old system was too punishing for inexperienced players. I think simply removing the possibility of death would be enough. Bring back time in the hospital!

I also always have 1 or 2 of my 7 dupes sick with slimelung at any one time. I've tried switching on the germ view and there is literally no sources that could be infecting them that I can see. The only part of my base with slimelung is in a pocket of hydrogen and CO2 around my water geyser which has a constant population that refuses to go away (there is no pOx that I can see), and that area is only ever accessed by suit. There are however a couple of little puffs of slimelung infested pOx floating around my base which seem to actively avoid my many many deodorizers. My guess is that the dupes are reinfecting each other constantly. Like the OP I have lost interest in trying to deal with it - I'm not going to have my dupes popping pills like junkies for the whole game. If they get sick, they get sick. Next game I'll probably just turn off the disease system.

I feel the same way. Before, you'd carefully keep an eye on those immunity levels and when they started dropping, you'd take action. If you messed that up, one or more of your dupes would end up in the medical bay for a long time, with other dupes required to take care of them, but you could prevent this by smart play and proper management.

With the current system, there's no way to really prevent dupes from getting sick. it simply happens out of the blue. I have a base that is germ free, yet I still get dupes waking up and becoming sick. And dupes infecting other dupes if they don't get immediate treatment. I've tried working on prevention, but so far I've found it impossible to prevent sickness. My bases are cleaner and more germ free than they ever were before mk3, yet my dupes are getting sick more often, even though I am now playing on a lower difficulty than before when it comes to sickness ( I used to play on weak immune, but have quit that since mk3 ).

On top of that, it's no longer a stress moment, a thing you would worry about. It's just an annoyance. It slows them down with the penalties from being sick, which can make some things very, very frustrating such as when they drop something because they sneeze on a ladder, move down to pick it up, then sneeze and drop it again etc. all the while this is happening, the material is not getting delivered to where it needs to go for building what-have-you.

And when you have a proper medical bay set up, and have medipacks for days, curing them of the diseases is simple and trivial.

In short, I find the new system a step backwards, because in early stages when you don't yet have proper facilities and such to take care of diseases, they become a source of frustration when dupes get sick, infect each other in a never ending chain and slow down everything and frustrate  And in the later stages when you do have proper facilities, prevention isn't even necessary as you can simply cure diseases in a heartbeat.

In the old system, preventing was always better than curing, and total prevention was something that was actually possible if you played smart. Curing was the backup option for if/when things went wrong, and was a big, drawn out and lasting affair. However, in the old system, it wasn't frustrating, it was tense when those immunities started dropping, with relief when you manage to avert an infection, or stressful when someone became infected. But it wasn't frustrating or annoying.

It was something that actually mattered.

Agreed. Disease system is a mess now - not enough for a challenge, but enough to be annoying as heck. I think devs wanted disease like common cold and stomachache, but they failed at it as well by making the symptoms too trivial - which means they could even be left there without caring. And insta-heal when getting a pill.. it's just all nonsense.

Basically for me, this update is for those conveyor chutes for convenience.

2 hours ago, Abt9 said:

I think devs wanted disease like common cold and stomachache, but they failed at it as well by making the symptoms too trivial - which means they could even be left there without caring. And insta-heal when getting a pill.. it's just all nonsense.

I think so too! I think they wanted to make disease as a random obstacle which slows dupes down in early games which I also think is annoying.

2 hours ago, suicide commando said:

On top of that, it's no longer a stress moment, a thing you would worry about. It's just an annoyance. It slows them down with the penalties from being sick, which can make some things very, very frustrating such as when they drop something because they sneeze on a ladder, move down to pick it up, then sneeze and drop it again etc. all the while this is happening, the material is not getting delivered to where it needs to go for building what-have-you.

And when you have a proper medical bay set up, and have medipacks for days, curing them of the diseases is simple and trivial.

In short, I find the new system a step backwards, because in early stages when you don't yet have proper facilities and such to take care of diseases, they become a source of frustration when dupes get sick, infect each other in a never ending chain and slow down everything and frustrate  And in the later stages when you do have proper facilities, prevention isn't even necessary as you can simply cure diseases in a heartbeat.

In the old system, preventing was always better than curing, and total prevention was something that was actually possible if you played smart. Curing was the backup option for if/when things went wrong, and was a big, drawn out and lasting affair. However, in the old system, it wasn't frustrating, it was tense when those immunities started dropping, with relief when you manage to avert an infection, or stressful when someone became infected. But it wasn't frustrating or annoying.

It was something that actually mattered.

But after you got atmo suits whenever leaving the base biome or you make a water sealed chlorine + balm lily farm for medicine pack, discease isn’t a problem at all! Now I’m in 400 cycles and on average I get 1 sick dupe every 10-20 cycle but they will get cured in less than 0.2 cycles(they go to medical clinic and seek help from other dupes) and I didn’t even cared a thing. I have over a hundred of medicine packs and a few food poisoning pills and atmo suits setup in every exit from the base and sickness is the least thing I would worry about.

I think the new system is actually not too bad since sickness from real life is mostly random (or kind of) and it’s Oxygen Not Included! Of course it stressful and annoying, you just have to either prevent or solve your problems and obstacles then you’ll have a nice gameplay. I hated the new system in the first 100 cycles but after I made the farm, problem solved! Zero discease stress! 

I may be wrong in some keywords or points, I apologise for that.

Also I will send some pictures about my cycle later and how I defeated the discease problems. Feel free to ask me or comment on anything!

5 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

If you always have 1-2 Dupes ill, you're not taking enough steps to prevent disease. I'm on cycle 210 of my QOL 3 colony, and I've had a grand total of three ilnesses in all that time. Two cases of food poisoning and one of slimelung.

Alternately, I have had a lot of both sicknesses for the first 100 cycles or so, about 1...2 per cycle. That is with mushrooms w/o exo-suits. But all cured fast due to available medication. Not that much of an effort or problem. You just cannot ignore germs anymore, but they are not that hard to deal with. Cleaning up zombie spores is a bit harder, but also entirely doable with exo-suits, some liquid locks and careful digging in the oil biome. 

I still think allergies are too severe in effect or making the medication is too hard in the required volume. I have changed my mind on the zombie spores, they do work as they are now, and the medication is ok too. Usually you should not even need it.

1 hour ago, jimsyjams said:

But after you got atmo suits whenever leaving the base biome or you make a water sealed chlorine + balm lily farm for medicine pack,

Gravity "seal" (i.e. dig into a chlorine pocket from the top) and a pit for the CO2 dupes breath out at the bottom works fine to grow balm-lilies without suits.

Now, that said, I did like the old system better, but the new one works reasonably well and figuring out how to get it handled was a nice change.

Before a sick dupe required time to get better even after he was treated. In the case of slimelung an untreated dupe was dead in 10 cycles and after treatment it still took 4 cycles to get rid of the disease, thus quarantine was somewhat useful.

Now the new system fixed some stuff and broke the other. Now quarantine makes more sense as dupes spread meaningful amounts of slimelung around and we got more severe diseases like the zombie spores. But what is the point of quarantine when a dupe gets cured in 5 seconds. Or when the disease doesn`t do much and goes away in 4 cycles anyway.

So the treatment is more maeningful and less meaningful at the same time. You need to treat dupes to have them fully effective but there`s no threat to the colony if you don`t. There needs to be more danger to the disaease as well as more ways to prevent it.

Hnadling the new system feeols like handling heat transfer before tempshift plates and radiant pipes were a thing. It`s possible but the tools we have are pretty crude. Like how to get rid of slimelung from a CO2 pocket in a reasonable time (it doesn`t do anything but it can easily spread to oxygen and start infecting dupes at the edge.

The system needs a bit of work. Maybe we need more diseases with release. Like slimelung happens so early you barely have the infrastructure to handle it. If food poisoning caused vomitting in the current system it would be an incredible mess (literally). But if we had a lethal disease a bit farther, like the zombie spores and a disease causing vomitting in farther biomes accessed after we got means to deal with it.

I think the diseases need their own special quirks that affect other spacts of the game ex: food posioning causing the dupe to eat more food for the duration, slimelung causing the dupe to use more oxygen for the duration. Temporary bottomless stomach and mouth breather. Would be something you need to care about.

I'd like to see a combination of the new and old systems. Any exposure to germs should carry a chance of infection, but with that chance based upon the degree of exposure. So one breath of slightly germy air might only give 1% chance to get sick, but if your dupe spends all day in the slime biome then it's almost certain they'll be coming down with slimelung. 

A combination of old and new treatments might work too. Sick patients need to spend time in hospital beds, but with specific medication for each illness that dramatically reduces recovery time. 

Getting sick is almost certain in the current system if you don't have a completely sterile enviroment. You are forced to keep gambling until you lose the bet to the sickness.
Keeping sterile enviroment all the time can be boring... everything requires a water lock and deconstructing a wall isnt something you are allowed to do from the inside of the base without heavy punishment.

This current system is fun in the first 100 cycles but super boring after 1000.

I don't want to dig more swamps to not contaminate more areas that I already struggled to clean and sterilize. As you dig and dig, more empty spaces and more gasses flowing around means more stuff you need to clean.... To the point where you don't want to keep up with the colony. 

I agree we need more diseases with more impact in the game. But please provide us with effective tools to clean out the air and decontaminate faster.

Decontamination gun used by dupes is useless right now and only steal their work time now. It doesn't affect contamined blocks right after a wall or a floor. You need to go outside and dig the border if you don't want contamination inside the base or dupes wasting time.

For slimelung specifically, another option would be instant sterilization after removing polluted oxygen and not having slimelung germs spreading through other gasses. After you dig out an entire swamp, you need to convert all the polluted oxygen to clean oxygen and then wait ages until all the slimelung is finally gone... only then you can allow other gasses to make contact with that area. It's terrible. (Ofc you can pretty much ignore everything as other people do but.... what's the point?)

Boredom of those mechanics (not lethal and not easy to remove) snowballs to the point of making me losing interest in the save.

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

gravity "seal" (i.e. dig into a chlorine pocket from the top) and a pit for the CO2 dupes breath out at the bottom works fine to grow balm-lilies without suits.

I meant making a sealed chlorine room for balm lily. Secondly make atmo suits whenever you will leave the base to prevent disease and improve the efficiency of the dupes(they won't have to recover breath or deal with extreme temperatures). So I would suggest dig into frozen biome first and search for AETN and make oxygen generators near it, secondly to caustic biome to make balm lily plants. Then to swamp biome and make the atmo suits ASAP.

My way of making the farm is making sure the chlorine will be inside forever and sustain forever.

I even made an algae distiller and auto sweep the germy algae inside the balm lily farm so it would get purified. I used the germy polluted water to feed a few Thimble reed.

Even a small farm can make over 1000 medicine packs

20190430211400_1.jpg

20190430203440_1.jpg

20190430203349_1.jpg

In 4 colonies since QOL3 was released I have only had one sick dupe.

They had allergies. Which was a new addition with Floral Scent germs and I didn't understand how that worked. I rectified it by moving the allergic dupe to their own living quarters away from the Bristle Blossom farm. They never got sick again.

I have found no additional difficulty and after that one allergic reaction I am back to never building medical equipment. Then again I have played on the hardest disease settings for longer than I can remember and going anywhere near slimelung without exosuits was a big no-no so I'm used to keeping a 100% germ free base.

Basically I have found no additional difficulty because it's so easy to avoid germs. If you always have sick dupes you can't be playing as safely as me.

51 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

But what is the point of quarantine when a dupe gets cured in 5 seconds. Or when the disease doesn`t do much and goes away in 4 cycles anyway.

So the treatment is more meaningful and less meaningful at the same time. You need to treat dupes to have them fully effective but there`s no threat to the colony if you don`t. There needs to be more danger to the disaease as well as more ways to prevent it.

The system needs a bit of work. Maybe we need more diseases with release. Like slimelung happens so early you barely have the infrastructure to handle it. If food poisoning caused vomitting in the current system it would be an incredible mess (literally). But if we had a lethal disease a bit farther, like the zombie spores and a disease causing vomitting in farther biomes accessed after we got means to deal with it.

I think the diseases need their own special quirks that affect other spacts of the game ex: food posioning causing the dupe to eat more food for the duration, slimelung causing the dupe to use more oxygen for the duration. Temporary bottomless stomach and mouth breather. Would be something you need to care about.

yeah I think they should nerf the medicines to make them cure after a cycle or two since disease isn't a thing after early game. 

Slimelung is now on par with hypothermia. The disease system wasn't hard before, now it's simply inconsequential.

The new doctor system should've been built on top of the old harshness of the disease rather than nerfing it.

Although, most people on the forum are adept enough to avoid any disease by building smartly, perhaps a newer player should comment on the difficulty/ease of the new system and if it's dynamic or boring.

3 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Getting sick is almost certain in the current system if you don't have a completely sterile enviroment. 

It turns out it's not difficult to have a completely sterile environment. That I got any Dupes sick at all is largely because I got sloppy in some way.

Basically, what Moggles said:

3 hours ago, Moggles said:

going anywhere near slimelung without exosuits was a big no-no so I'm used to keeping a 100% germ free base.

Basically I have found no additional difficulty because it's so easy to avoid germs. If you always have sick dupes you can't be playing as safely as me.

Spacesuits are complete protection from disease. I'm building space suits far, far earlier than I did before, before I have a ventilation system even, and that's been enough.

As for expanding, it's pretty simple. I don't annex a new area until it's completely filled with clean oxygen. Areas that still contain polluted oxygen for any reason only get used by spacesuited Dupes.

That said, remaining completely sterile is clearly difficult for a lot of players. There are a lot of posts in this thread from players who are consistently getting sick dupes, even if that's avoidable with careful play. Which is a strong argument that the original penalties for Slimelung were too harsh. Particularly for new players who don't know every little thing about the disease mechanics.

I'm hoping we will end up with something in between what we have now, which is so minor that you can simply live with chronic illness and ignore it, and the deadly version of Slimelung.

I've always run a pretty sterile environment. I tend not to dig into infected slime until midgame. I used to look for geysers and mine the sterilized slime but now there's not much point since it's becoming easier to bypass farming altogether or at worst just farm meal lice until you have a hatchery for bbq. I still play sterile although I know I can just ignore slimelung and once in a while I will just to experiment. I rush to get the grill early and so food poisoning is never a problem. But I did use to avoid hypothermia - it was a big deal and a wake up call if I let my dupe get chilled out too much and slowed down my early base. Sadly now that doesn't matter much either. None of the medical stuff matters, and it's annoying that I can't even send sneezing dupes for bedrest any longer. I LIKE taking care of my dupes and it feels like I can't do much of that any more with medical not mattering much and decor even less.

I'm assuming that the full game release with more biomes, animals, and diseases will render doctoring more relevant.

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

As for expanding, it's pretty simple. I don't annex a new area until it's completely filled with clean oxygen. Areas that still contain polluted oxygen for any reason only get used by spacesuited Dupes.

It's easy but rather boring to expand the base through it. Last disease system was at least threatning.

It is as slow as before but now I don't feel like "I have to do it", because it isn't lethal. The feeling of wasting of time is devastating.

I spent over 20 hours playing this and just lost interest in the save due to the longest boring task of cleaning the area from slime and polluted oxygen...

As I said, give us some tools to make it more dynamic and less boring. The decontamination gun can be much more effective if it could sterilize at least one extra tile across the area being targeted by the dupe.

For the first time I'm looking for mods that completely removes slimelung from the game as it's just a waste of time. Not fun, not challenging. Note that I have a complete sterile cell with atmo suits where they are meant to be but....bleh, not fun.
image.thumb.png.c79aef4ded1a3268f435dc13ecf4c196.png

17 hours ago, dearmad said:

I think it's the work slowdown that is just annoying. It's not like an actual interesting crisis, it's just... bleh, boring and pointless imo.  It doesn't interestingly involve me

Exactly how I feel. Slimelung now feels like a distraction, I don't really care about the sick, but they did slow down the work. Usually the game provides more than one option to deal with a challenge, and I can choose with my preference, but now, it seems only way is to eat pills or setup exo docks. It seems to me Klei is trying so hard to have doctor / med bay involved, they are forcing you to take care of the sick by constantly annoying you and to treat the sick the way they want you to. (This is not what really happening, but it's giving me that feeling when I'm playing)

14 hours ago, suicide commando said:

I feel the same way. Before, you'd carefully keep an eye on those immunity levels and when they started dropping, you'd take action. If you messed that up, one or more of your dupes would end up in the medical bay for a long time, with other dupes required to take care of them, but you could prevent this by smart play and proper management.

Agreed 100%. Never having played on harder immunity settings, I had never been overly careful about base sterilization, so once the system changed it was a bit of a nightmare. A single puff of diluted and less than 1k germ filled PO2 was enough to keep my dupes in a endless cycle of illness for the entire early game. Even with almost 2 dozen deodorizers in my small base that darned puff eluded me. Always juuust high enough to avoid the deoderizers, while still periodically blipping down low enough to infect someone. That or they'd just sneeze directly on top of another Dupe... Eventually with medication and even MORE deodorizers I got a handle on it, but it was only stressful because it was frustrating, not because it was any real challenge. It just made everything that much slower in early game, but I no longer had the 'fear put in me' of illness. It has become less "Oh no, Bubbles! SHE'S DYING! MEEP! SAVE HER, MAN!" and more, "FFS, Bubbles, stop sneezing and JUST GO. I know you're sick, but suck it up. I've had pneumonia and I still worked. You're fine."

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Having had food poisoning many a times of late (d'oh!) I like the idea of more consequence, but instead of eating more food (definitely the LAST thing I wanted to do with food poisoning) I'd say more time in the bathroom if you don't want to go the vomiting route. (But seriously... so much vomit. It was horrible.) Or just make them run to the toilet to vomit. (Though then I'd question why the stress vomiter doesn't do that. But... then again... as a person who literally has stress vomiting I have definitely thrown up in hallways or stairwells before I've had time to run to a bathroom. So embarrassing.) (... With all these personal experience asides I'm starting to wonder if I'm not a Dupe myself. Oh no.)

7 hours ago, Junksteel said:

I agree we need more diseases with more impact in the game. But please provide us with effective tools to clean out the air and decontaminate faster.

Decontamination gun used by dupes is useless right now and only steal their work time now. It doesn't affect contamined blocks right after a wall or a floor. You need to go outside and dig the border if you don't want contamination inside the base or dupes wasting time.

This. I would seriously love a way to decontaminate the air better. Perhaps a machine that, while it may not change the oxygen type from polluted to clean, it can kill off germs in the air. Any type. Have it use chlorine via a gas pipe intake or some such. Make it costly to build and/or run if you want to be sure it's not just an easy solution to something like Zombie Spores or Allergies, but it would be nice to have SOMETHING to speed up cleaning slimelung from the air and to have some means of ensuring Zombie Spores isn't a total base wipe and allergic dupes can have safety zones (such as a cleaner in their bedroom and dining area).

Keep in mind, I've yet to truly deal with Zombie Spores, so my remarks about it are based purely on what I've read in forum comments. I've really only encountered it once and I just built tiles around the infected seed, air, and oil until every tile with germs was sealed off. The only other two pockets with germs I'm refusing to open period. From what I've read the only way to 'deal' with it is to simply not have to deal with it... Aka, never encounter it to begin with.

Question, though... I've so far had two Sporechid seeds. One spawned from a cracked tile as a buried object and the other was uprooted from a withered sporechid in sour gas. The buried object seed fell immediately into oil and nothing happened. The withered plant seed, while it was in sour gas and entirely germ free air, fell into oil and immediately started spreading germs from itself in both oil and air (the CO2, not the Sour Gas) and it is still continuing to spawn more germs within it's little contained area now. Why is the one seed spreading germs, but the other isn't? The flower was withered from the start of the game and was never 'unwithered'. Are the seeds supposed to spread germs and the one that isn't is bugged? Or did the state change from withered to seed just produce germs? And is THAT a bug? Or is that intended behavior? D: I'm confused. Halp.

Archived