[Poll] Do you ever turn your camera in-game?

Do you ever turn your camera in-game?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever?

• Yes (always, often, sometimes, almost never; followed and precised by next questions)
    • No, never (legitimately never)
  2. 2. If so, how often?

• Always.
    • Often
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Very rarely
    • Very rarely (and if I do for whatever reason, I try to inmeaditly return to it's original position)
    • I said, never.
  3. 3. Why? (If not, skip this question by selecting 4th anwser and move onto the next one)

• Don't know, just some irrational habit that I can't get rid of.
    • Just to be able to have visual access to objects out of shight.
    • Because I can/I like to.
    • I DON'T turn my camera.
    • Other (comment)
    • Sometimes I do, but try to reset it (reason in the next question?)
    • For fighting bosses
  4. 4. Why not? (If you do, ignore this question by selecting the first anwsers)

• I DO turn my camera.
    • Navigation reasons (you want to know where is North and be able to memorize better the world you're playing)
    • I just don't like to change things and I leave them on default.
    • Didn't know you can do that!
    • Other (comment)
  5. 5. Did you like this poll?

I generally always keep the camera oriented in the same direction unless I need to see behind an object (usually for hunting Koalefants). I just get used to the layout of the world in a particular orientation (though I may change the default orientation when I start a world).

Often the case is that my base is decorated in such a way that from other camera viewpoints, things aren't as clearly visible. In particular, with mini signs, the location I place them next to my chests often means they're not as visible from directions other than from the default one. I also like to use walls as decoration, which can block the view from different camera orientations.

I sometimes may reorient the camera if I know I'm moving into an area where I know there is some kind of potential threat that I want more advanced warning about. A good example of this is MacTusk. I like to be able to see them at the top of the screen with a little bit of warning time so I can plan accordingly.

"The enemies gate is always down." I think the field of view is the best at the top of the screen, so I prefer that to be the direction I move, or the obstacle I'm facing. 

However, I have a standard world orientation that feels correct to me, and it stays like that whenever I'm just running around my base, or trying to orient myself.

I keep standard orientation much more in certain parts underground, so I don't accident take a wrong deadend turn with shadow splemonkeys on my tail.

I turn my camera almost every other second because I always had a habit of facing the direction in going. It also makes the world more dynamic, and gives me a better feel of the environment. Other than those excuses, I can say that it's a habit that I have picked up in my very early days of playing this game, and I have no intention to rid myself of it 3 years later.

If any of you don't turn the camera because you want to know which way is north there's a helpful mod called reset camera that lets you hit C and reset the camera. It's super helpful when needing to give players directions.

Archived