Biggest Issues in the Game [Poll]

Biggest Issues  

172 members have voted

1. 1. What are the biggest issues in the game? (Multiple Choice)

• Lack of protection from griefers
    • Lack of end-game content
    • Lack of replayability
    • Game is too difficult
    • Game is too easy
    • Lack of overall content
    • Nothing, game is perfect
    • Other

23 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

The game is perfect. Most of these options have to do with wanting more content, which Klei is actively working on. 

I mean.. lack of end game content? Are you kidding me? We just got used to the goal of killing Ancient Fuelweaver, which is bound to happen with any game/content in time

And no comment to people who say it lacks replayability. Just not the game for you

Yes, but after that it literally just restarts everything. All you get from the Fuelweaver is a bunch of high end items with little purpose to use them. I mean you get by the first time without them. The second time just makes things easier to repeat everything all over again. There really is no purpose after killing the fuelweaver, its just a giant reset button for the caves to replenish resources like gears, gems, and ancient stuff. 

I really am excited for the content update because I am really hoping after you kill the fuelweaver there is something beyond the caves just restarting, and redoing everything on the surface world. Unless you plan on making a super mega base, whats the point of keeping that world? 

I know techincally speaking lore/ story wise after you kill fuelweaver is when the survivors are sent to The Forge and Gorge, don't know what the last event will be, but I'm hoping those new worlds and biomes were going to be able to go to is through killing the fuelweaver since its the gate. It would really encourage players that usually don't even go to the caves to maybe want to try and challenge themselves? 

The biggest issue I see when people complain that we need to keep newer players on the surface with easy stuff is that we're just going to let them get bored. They don't ever want to explore beyond the surface (or maybe the first cave the enter just to for lightbulbs). Why do you think most players leave after winter, if they even stay that long? They don't know what else to do because for some reason they are afraid to try fighting the bosses to get to "end game".

And for people who has been to end game many times, we just really want a reason to stay on longer beyond mega base building. Even more middle game stuff would be nice too..

On 4/27/2019 at 7:53 PM, sinisterrkid said:

The game is perfect. Most of these options have to do with wanting more content, which Klei is actively working on.

For that named "perfectness" I just wanna point one particular thing I find problematic for quite some time now (and resurfaced some days ago when I've made a new world where I've set this aspect to something else than its default value): the flawed re-growth mechanic (basically a "very slow" desolation regrowth would take 1/6 of the "very fast" desolation regrowth time for regrowth to kick in, meaning regrowth seems to have the opposite intended effect; also it looks like when setting trees par example to "few" or "none" - as I did on my new mentioned server - they eventually start regrowing... from nothing ..everywhere, including Ruins that supposed to never have trees). And this is only one aspect I can name from the top of my head as "something pretty erroneous with DST" in relation to "how it should function.. and actually isn't".

In fact there are a lot of things I found quite bothersome overall so yeah.... I can't say game is "perfect", quite the contrary. Yet I myself still enjoy it very much and would like to see it constantly updated and maintained akin a MMO. Yes, we will get new content, but old unpolished or faulty one should also get refreshes/corrections.

14 hours ago, sinisterrkid said:

Enable Netbook mode in settings. It got rid of all the lag except for occasional loading lag for me. And both my laptop and internet are crap.

I play xbox, it doesn't have stuff like that. I'm pretty sure that console lag is way worse than pc.

I guess I should of added lack of balance and lack of exploit fixes. Wish the poll allow us to update our votes so I can add more options.

1 hour ago, Ali Bun said:

Unless you plan on making a super mega base, whats the point of keeping that world?

I like the building aspect, but I feel like there isn't much to build. Making a house, owning property, having domesticated animals and plants, would be some nice end-game content. PvP is also end-game content and adds heavy replayability, yet a poll result before showed that no one wants those kind of features. Therefore I'm confused what exactly player wants that is considered end-game content. What bores me about this game is that I have to start over all the time and if I don't there is nothing to do.

If there were land ownership, player houses, and we could created villages, there could be so much more content that could be added and keep players interested for a long time, like alliances trading, ect. Furthermore PvP would give players a new experience every time because people aren't as predictable as NPCs. Seeing abandoned bases by dead players is always interesting. These are key features that will change the game for the better, but it seems like players much rather just kill bosses for objects that make survival easier. Once surviving becomes too easy, there is no point of playing because outside of surviving, there is nothing to do.

The biggest issue is that the food system is way too basic and just flat out sucks. Ask yourselves how many meatballs you have made in your time playing this game. Winter is a joke because you can just put 3 ice cubes and monster meat in the crockpot to make meatballs. There are a bunch of crock pot recipes that just flat out suck too much to bother remembering them. The game is called don't starve for crying out loud, how can the food system be left in the dust? Food should be an expansive and complicated part of the game, but honestly it's been forgotten about and hasn't changed much since Don't Starve. It really just boils down to meatballs and then jerky/bacon and eggs later in the game to supplement your character's diet of meatballs. 

On 29. 4. 2019 at 6:31 PM, Trenix said:

Yeah I should if mentioned PvP. I'd say PvP is the biggest issue since it's been added and ignored.

i think PvP is good that it's ignored, devs said on the willow stream that they um wouldn't like fire immunity because it was kinda op in pvp...

they just ignored the pvp because it's unbalanced as it is without willow being immune from fire staves.

4 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

i think PvP is good that it's ignored, devs said on the willow stream that they um wouldn't like fire immunity because it was kinda op in pvp...

they just ignored the pvp because it's unbalanced as it is without willow being immune from fire staves.

I think it was incredibly silly balancing PVE for PVP, even back than. There was such an easy solution to this that would have made everyone happy. I and many other PVP supporters have suggested balancing them separately. They talked as if they planned on doing something with PVP back then (ACTUALLY BALANCING IT?), but they ultimately never did. It was left to rot and become what it is now. PVP is a togglable option. When its on it should balance characters and other aspects for PVP. Willow shouldn't have lost her fire immunity because of that. For example, if PVP is on willow would only have fire resistance, but in PVE she would have full on fire immunity. Even then, fire staves are nothing compared to the other far more OP things in PVP. So, yeah that made little sense.

34 minutes ago, Crimson Chin said:

I think it was incredibly silly balancing PVE for PVP, even back than. There was such an easy solution to this that would have made everyone happy. I and many other PVP supporters have suggested balancing them separately. They talked as if they planned on doing something with PVP back then (ACTUALLY BALANCING IT?), but they ultimately never did. It was left to rot and become what it is now. PVP is a togglable option. When its on it should balance characters and other aspects for PVP. Willow shouldn't have lost her fire immunity because of that. For example, if PVP is on willow would only have fire resistance, but in PVE she would have full on fire immunity. Even then, fire staves are nothing compared to the other far more OP things in PVP. So, yeah that made little sense.

I love wickerbottom she is balanced in both PvP and PvE definitely doesn't overshadow any character and doesn't have irrelevant downsides............................................................................................

37 minutes ago, WariorOfDeath said:

Wait why do people chose lack of end game content this game is not made to have a end for that you have base dst with dlcs....

Despite DST being designed to potentially be played endlessly, it does have a progression. Endgame content is further into it.

Its fun to start up a world with some friends. But when things eventually go to **** because your the only one who knows how to play and you have to start over again. and again. and again, and again, the earlygame gets pretty repetitive. Some more variety in world gen perhaps?

1 hour ago, Raspberry Shake said:

Its fun to start up a world with some friends. But when things eventually go to **** because your the only one who knows how to play and you have to start over again. and again. and again, and again, the earlygame gets pretty repetitive. Some more variety in world gen perhaps?

I find maxing out setpieces like this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850494968 makes early game 100x more fun

Honestly, the one hope I have that would be an actual big game changer is the ability to make the "alone" option for making a world actually mean something. Maybe if you choose the "alone" option, Caves wouldn't require another server to have and would instead just bring you to the caves on the same server. 

This is honestly the only reason why I haven't made a megabase or fought Fuelweaver in DST.

My opinion on PVP:

PVP is indeed half-assed, or rather, no thought has been put into it.  Back before DST came out, there was always talk of how fun it would be not knowing who you could trust, and how the tension would be a fun thing to have to deal with.  So, I could see them fixing it in two ways:

1. Turning on PVP changes items and characters to be more balanced.  So much of this stuff is busted, like Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, WX and now Wortox literally being all gods in their own right, and combine them with sleeping items and other jank items (which Wicker can access before anyone else), it would require a steady hand and someone knowledgeable to make the changes.  Also, you'd have to consider how battles tend to be a heal-fest, fights against two good players last eons, how do you solve that?  As crazy as it sounds, I'd consider removing the 0.5 damage mult on PVP so things go faster.

2. A TTT/Space Station 13 like PVP gamemode.  Everyone spawns in, some people are "Traitors", who are tasked with killing the survivors.  Global chat is disabled, ghosts can't talk, revive is disabled, and the traitors get some items exclusive to them to help them accomplish their goal, along with some other advantages.  I guess the task would be to live for so many days, maybe gather some items, and then everyone has to go back to the spawn portal to leave, with the traitors needing to get their kills before they can do so.

And, the other thing about DST that troubles me: DST doesn't really take into account or take advantage of the fact it is a multiplayer game.  There's no way to play for a short session without losing your stuff the next day, or tasks in-game which truly require teamwork (sans maybe Ewecus?).  Only gorge and forge did this, but they're temp events unconnected to the game, completely unrelated to DST.  Adventure Mode or a TTT-style gamemode would, however, solve the problem.

3 hours ago, Mario384 said:

My opinion on PVP:

PVP is indeed half-assed, or rather, no thought has been put into it.  Back before DST came out, there was always talk of how fun it would be not knowing who you could trust, and how the tension would be a fun thing to have to deal with.  So, I could see them fixing it in two ways:

1. Turning on PVP changes items and characters to be more balanced.  So much of this stuff is busted, like Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, WX and now Wortox literally being all gods in their own right, and combine them with sleeping items and other jank items (which Wicker can access before anyone else), it would require a steady hand and someone knowledgeable to make the changes.  Also, you'd have to consider how battles tend to be a heal-fest, fights against two good players last eons, how do you solve that?  As crazy as it sounds, I'd consider removing the 0.5 damage mult on PVP so things go faster.

2. A TTT/Space Station 13 like PVP gamemode.  Everyone spawns in, some people are "Traitors", who are tasked with killing the survivors.  Global chat is disabled, ghosts can't talk, revive is disabled, and the traitors get some items exclusive to them to help them accomplish their goal, along with some other advantages.  I guess the task would be to live for so many days, maybe gather some items, and then everyone has to go back to the spawn portal to leave, with the traitors needing to get their kills before they can do so.

And, the other thing about DST that troubles me: DST doesn't really take into account or take advantage of the fact it is a multiplayer game.  There's no way to play for a short session without losing your stuff the next day, or tasks in-game which truly require teamwork (sans maybe Ewecus?).  Only gorge and forge did this, but they're temp events unconnected to the game, completely unrelated to DST.  Adventure Mode or a TTT-style gamemode would, however, solve the problem.

If there was a TTT gamemode for DST you can bet all your life savings I'd play the hell out of it until the day I die.

I select other as well and my vote is for lack of polish. Lots of things end up feeling broken, unfinished, not fun to do. Klei should spent some time at some point polishing things that already in game, particularly boss fights. And I think game too difficult for new players, but too easy for veterans, but there must be some ways to balance that out.

Disclaimer: Any assumptions made about new players or veterans alike are based on my 2000 hour experience in the varying pubs and long lasting worlds that I have taken part in, and are in no way defining how a certain group acts.

2 hours ago, Charsis said:

And I think game too difficult for new players, but too easy for veterans, but there must be some ways to balance that out.

A lot of the times the methods that veterans use would never be considered by newer players. If you were to nerf some of the op strats in this game, most likely, it wouldn't affect the newer players at all, but it would affect the strategies of veterans. A good example would be bunny farms. They are way too easily obtained and produce a large amount of food in a short amount of time.

Lets say we removed the bunnyman's ability to drop carrots, or increased the amount of time it takes the bunnyman to respawn. This change would likely never affect a noob (meaning new; not incompetent) as he most likely will not ever even consider fighting or farming the creatures, but it would certainly cause a shift in the meta for strategies of obtaining food as making more hutches would become harder since people would have to turn to other sources for carrots. (Even then carrots and bunny hutches are too common underground for my personal tastes)

2 hours ago, Charsis said:

Klei should spent some time at some point polishing things that already in game, particularly boss fights.

I agree with this too (especially boss fights). Take Deerclops for instance. While he may pose a threat to a new to mid player who is starting to get a hang of the game, he will almost never be a problem for a truly new player who is trying to figure out how to do the basics of the game, and a veteran most likely will never even have to worry much about him spawning at all (depending on how paranoid the veteran is).

Problems with the Deerclops:

-He spawns on the same day the first of every year (day 30 at night) -> meaning that a veteran will always be prepared for almost the exact moment that he spawns.

-Deerclops is too easily taken out by other giants such as treeguards -> meaning the veteran sometimes wont have to even lift a finger

-Deerclops stops damaging structures directly whenever it targets a player (can still walk over things to smash them and can crush structures on death) -> this takes a lot away from the threat of the giant (base destruction)

-One trick pony (has only one attack) -> boss is easily kited without armor and with good internet connection and a good weapon

Ideas to make Deerclops a more threatening and enjoyable fight:

-Spawn within a range of days in the first winter instead of on a set day. This will not affect new players because they most likely will not know when to expect him anyways.

-Make Giants and Bosses unable to target or damage each other ("Unable to target or damage each other" can be accomplished by removing some bosses presence during winter such as Bee Queen and Dragonfly other methods would have to be used to exclude treeguards). This will not affect most new players because they will not attempt such a strategy anyways. (I won't discuss it here, but tentacles are also a problem)

-Give Deerclops multiple attacks to keep veterans on their toes in the fight. This will not affect new players because they will most likely be panicking at the sight of the thing or attempting to tank it.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, Canis said:

Honestly, the one hope I have that would be an actual big game changer is the ability to make the "alone" option for making a world actually mean something. Maybe if you choose the "alone" option, Caves wouldn't require another server to have and would instead just bring you to the caves on the same server. 

This is honestly the only reason why I haven't made a megabase or fought Fuelweaver in DST.

i want that because i have never seen the Weaver in person and would love to not have to rely on others to succeed

i feel like a DS 2 is an order all skins all the DST content with the balencing of single player the lack of greifers or noobs to bother and the easy updating files too

Archived