Willow Refresh Info and Roadmap Schedule Update

14 minutes ago, Sketched_Philo said:

Hello, would it be possible for us to get an idea of how much health and damage Bernie will have/dish out?

We already have another character with a dedicated minion(Wendy & Abigail). How will she be any different or unique in that playstyle?

Wow, at first glance I thought Bernie would fight only shadows. But now that you mention, "most hostile creatures" means quite a lot of the monsters I guess...

In this case I'm really interested in the answer as well. 

About Willow's other perks, they sound cool and definitely better then before, but I don't think it would make her much better. 

I'm gonna be honest, although i'm not hugely in favour of this rework, I do applaud Klei for trying, think about it, it'd be quite hard to come up with a major upside for a character that has the title "The Firestarter" that won't send pubs into an outrage. (Even though it's easy enough to acquire a torch, like seriously, it's dumb how Willow is seen as the face of anarchy for no reason other than a lighter.) Even so, this could have been handled better, not gonna lie.

6 minutes ago, Fidooop said:
  • Drop the niche little weaksauce changes that have to do with how temperature and things affect her HP and sanity. They have almost no impact except for new players and should not be bothered with.
  • Make her immune to fire. This allows her to abuse fire in combat which would be GREAT!
  • Keep the more effective at fueling fires thing, I like that touch.
  • Keep this new buffed Bernie it sounds cool.
  • Make lighter infinite.
  • As a drawback, make her sanity tank if she's not regularly lighting things on fire. She's a pyromaniac she should need to light things on fire. And the challenge here is doing it responsibly so that you don't burn entire forests down.

This nails it on the head for me, personally.

From what I see, these changes look extremely bland and won't do much for the character. Yeah, the freezing-while-insane perk is gone, but these changes don't *do* anything. They aren't really impactful to how Willow plays. This isn't a refresh but more of slight buffs.

I'd also like natural heat resistance (ie summer insulation), similar to Wilson's beard so we can have an "opposite" thing going on with Wilson and Willow (and allow more time near fire)

Fire immunity and Bernie luring-in ALL types of Shadow Monsters (including Ruins ones) while Willow is insane should be the main thing to get her really up there with re-worked Winona.

PS: plus infinite-durability lighter while in Willow's use as well pls.

3 minutes ago, Fidooop said:
  • Make her immune to fire. This allows her to abuse fire in combat which would be GREAT!
  • Make lighter infinite.
  • As a drawback, make her sanity tank if she's not regularly lighting things on fire. She's a pyromaniac she should need to light things on fire. And the challenge here is doing it responsibly so that you don't burn entire forests down.

I feel like the combo of those 3 would just make people want to grief bases, although I could be wrong

Can you work on console release at the same time? I don’t like the word “(Beta)” after Content Update. That would mean I have to watch people explore all the new things while I continue to wait. Like The Forge, The Gorge and Hamlet. This is not fun. 

Or else, what I was expecting today will probably come out sometime in August or September on PS4 and not even be that new. 

Bernie taunting (and fighting) more than just nightmare creatures is interesting in that it actually encourages keeping Willow insane, but it's a bit odd to cast Willow as another pet character like Wendy, Maxwell, and Webber and not the pyromaniac she was implemented as in single player. Cast my vote down as another for giving back her total fire immunity.

Still, Klei's shown they're now willing to listen to community feedback and tweak things after Winona's rework's adjustments. I'm willing to hold my reservations until the changes have been live for a couple weeks.

Most importantly, thank you for updating us on the expected schedule. I hope the devs take as much time as they need to not have to rush out content they're not happy with and take care of their own health and families.

Just now, Minearia said:

I feel like the combo of those 3 would just make people want to grief bases, although I could be wrong

I see what you mean but honestly there's no difference between that and someone crafting a torch and lighting everything up anyways. There's really nothing to worry about. If a griefer wants to grief they're going to grief.

2 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

I see what you mean but honestly there's no difference between that and someone crafting a torch and lighting everything up anyways. There's really nothing to worry about. If a griefer wants to grief they're going to grief.

this. griefers are gonna grief no matter what, making willow useless did not fix it, and making her meh now will change nothing, make her a real character, with real, tangible buffs and debuffs, not wilson 3.0, will it attract a few griefers? well yes, such is the way of every update, new players will join, some will grief, such is life.

1 minute ago, collect12 said:

Hide contents

VxroTEq.png

All jokes aside, we should probably wait for the Willow rework to be released before we drop the giant forum judgement hammer on her.

better to show our dislike of the current rework now and have em change it while its in development then wait for it to be released and give em a harder job to do reworking her a second time.

Just now, Shpee said:

better to show our dislike of the current rework now and have em change it while its in development then wait for it to be released and give em a harder job to do reworking her a second time.

This.

Klei, I say this with 100% love and affection for the game and this character, and as constructive criticism, these proposed changes are god awful.

While I appreciate all the work you've been doing, If I may give some criticism, these willow changes don't necessarily seem bad, just... Boring.

Her upsides are relatively minor, the extra fuel is nice, but I don't think anyone with more than 10 hours ever found issue with extinguishing smoldering objects (unless you mean putting out full-sized fires, that would be pretty lit). Her freezing "downsides" are barely a downside at all except for maybe 2-3 situations, The fuel bonus is nice, though fuel is easy enough as is, and depending on how the Bernie changes are, he's probably just going to stay forgotten about.

I'll probably make a separate thread for this, but Ideally, A good downside should make you want to play a character just as much as their upsides. Wigfrid and Maxwell both achived this, with Wigfrid's meat-only perk locking you out of many useful foods while also changing the early game, and Maxwell's health being so low that you're perpetually in danger and making high-risk situations even deadlier. And while I know that DS is handled by a separate team, basically every character sense hamlet entered EA has been like this. Wormwood's no healing food makes damage that much more deadly, and requires him to actually use the healing items, Wheeler's smaller inventory used to make inventory managment much more important with her, and Wagstaff's near-sightedness gave him a much greater reliance on headgear, making wearing things like tam o'shanters constantly unviable. 

Obviously this can't always be achived, but even then, I'd still say that downsides should be more than just simple stat changes/modifiers. As for what a more interesting downside for Willow would be, I'm not sure, but there are tons of people coming up with ideas

33 minutes ago, JoeW said:
  • Bernie grows big and will taunt and fight most hostile creatures when Willow is nearby and insane.
  • Bernie will still taunt Shadow Creatures when any other player is nearby and insane.

Will Willow have the opportunity to create additional Bernie? (legion of plush soldiers)

As of this writing our schedule looks like this: 

Willow Refresh:  May 7th
Content Update (beta): Mid May
Unannounced New Character: Early June
Content Update (live): Mid/Late June
Next Refresh: Mid July

Please do not release content on one platform before the other. PC/Consoles. 

One thing as well, if fire could be viable for combat this is the right time to do it for Willow. If she would have fire immunity back she can disrupt the mob AI making them in a state of panic or just when she kills things with fire weapons their loot will remain unscathed not burn up. 

28 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

•  

There are still working on concepts 

40 minutes ago, JoeW said:

I am going to share some of the details of her changes. Of course, this is still subject to change and will likely see some adjusting before and after release. 

Gee. I can think of a more interesting Willow change than what's proposed in the main post.

How about a special burning effigy that lures mobs to it and damages them(like a normal fire would)

Essentially letting Willow create fire traps but not through a bug.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

There are still working on concepts 

They said the exact same thing with Wortox, and also Winona.

1 minute ago, Aeschwutz said:

One thing as well, if fire could be viable for combat this is the right time to do it for Willow. If she would have fire immunity back she can disrupt the mob AI making them in a state of panic or just when she kills things with fire weapons their loot will remain unscathed not burn up. 

If Willow turns into a character that can constantly use fire as combat, she'd be my new main. It'd also give her a niche of being able to basically stun and make fights easier, while at the same time not putting dropped items in jeopardy.

Archived