Willow Refresh Info and Roadmap Schedule Update

1 minute ago, TheKingDedede said:

I thought it meant holding onto Bernie like, you know, a teddy bear? Hugging it, basically. Equipped does not automatically mean 'wear'. Time will tell how this plays out, however.

That makes sense and would be lovely to see. But as you said: time will tell, and I really hope it is as you say.

23 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

What any of this has to do with the Update?...

1 hour ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

what does that have anything to do with what you quoted or the rework?

It was just a little fun fact since the guy I was quoting was meming in that general area.

17 minutes ago, Manugtrf said:

when they said that they were going to make a revision to the background of the characters ... they also referred to those of DS or only those of DST?

By now: the original 11 DS characters (Wilson, Willow, Wolfgang, Wendy, WX-78, Wickerbottom, etc.) + Winona are having a revision, but on DST.

6 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

Exactly. All this complaining just looks like it could lead to another OP character, like what happened with Winona. She got a super powerful buff(catapults) paired with a big downside(hunger while speed crafting). But then everybody complained about her downside, and now she's a super powerful character that only takes hunger once every minute or something. that's nothing.

The reason why people are complaining is because it doesn't make you careful with crafting, but rather makes you to bring two more meatballs to your journeys, which is just annoying. I don't remember where, but someone stated that she should not receive bonuses from "dapper" clothing.

5 hours ago, The 2C3D said:

This is a friendly reminder that sewing kits fully restore Bernie.

Also there’s no need to go nuclear over what exactly happens when Willow stands in fire for seven continuous seconds.

I can’t imagine what the poor people at Klei must be thinking right now, like, this is saltier then the in-game chat when a level 1 quick-matches into a 20+ Forge server. 

‘Twould be nice if her lighter didn’t degrade in her hand, though. I’m one of those people who can’t bring themself to use resources.

seriously though I’ve been playing Hollow Knight and I won’t even use ONE of my 3000+ essence to dream-gate. I have a problem.

Sorry man, but from what we know, most of us dislike the changes that are proposed, and honestly I don't care "what they're thinking right now" because that's their job, in which their success is based around how people will respond to their work, and if they respond with criticism ( and yes, most of the stuff here isn't hate as it both doesn't name devs idiots and it proposes new solutions ). If you had to think what everyone thinks when people don't like what they did, oh boy

3 hours ago, Casm said:

About the only thing here that I think is interesting is the fact that Bernie will fight and taunt most hostile creatures when near insanity. This probably means everything but boss monsters and maybe a few special exceptions (like Krampus). Every other change is simply underwhelming (sorry Klei).

So, the question becomes exactly how useful Bernie will be. How effective is his taunting, how much of a beating can Bernie take, does Bernie regenerate health and how much damage will Bernie do? If done correctly, Willow could be an ideal character for those players that like to run near insanity 24/7. If done poorly, then Willow will be just as scarce post update as she currently is right now.

Overall, I'm not nearly as excited about the Willow update as I was for Winona. I guess we'll have to wait and see though, I could still be surprised.

The devs did say they shared SOME features, which leads me to believe they will be more and they said after release they are gonna change it too... So.. Nothing is written stone so far.. 

I agree with your assessment.. Bernie got a substantial buff and I see a lot of potential.. But so far there isn't a way to see how good Bernie really is. I've asked JoeW already if he could expand a bit what are Bernie stats but nothing so far. 

HP regen for Bernie is a good point in fact.. It makes sense if we go from companions logic already for others like him. To sum up, with some of your ideas and some of mine 

How much:

HP, Dmg, HP regen, sanity threshold to spawn and grow bigger, natural armor, taunting level does Bernie have? 

edit--

can we bundle wrap bernies?

--

Is it possible to make Bernie grow without being full insane or how low must sanity levels be to make Bernie grow big? Are there any other alternatives as always being insane? 

If possible we would appreciate if this could be also one answered as the new fire immunity values. 

I didn't read every post yet but about the rework I want to know:

Is there any rework for fire? If fire gets stronger and more prominent in the game then I feel Willow's reworks would great. So I really hope some fire-related content would highlight Willow's strenghts. We have like one fire mob which visits the player only in summer and fall and other fire-spreading mobs are "stationary". Fire hazards have gotten very rare since smoldering replaced fire spreading. And I won't speak about no natural fires in caves. It is already said, but these are just beginner-friendly perks. I hope new lands intruce us a fire biome which is hard to traverse, burning rework which makes fire more dangerous to player character (not to much to Willow) and some more fire mobs and a base-intruding summer boss. We have enough ways to prevent fire spreading and monsters intruding in the base and a world gegrowth, I don't mind some world burning through enviroment.

Example for a fire mob (it's like the glowfly cycle): After summer the DF is pregnant and it starts to lay eggs in places where the lavas can feed themself (burn things to eat ashes and charcoal). The eggs spawns in forests and grasslands. After a certain time they hatch and look for combustibles. The player can prevent them hatching by using ice, ice staff, water balloons etc. which rewards them with some rocks. After several days of lava phasethey begin to cocoon themself. These cocoons are on flame and can be destroyed. Soon they hatch into small fiery flies and annoy the players until spring :). Ah, and Willow has something to do during these times. 

• More fuel is something I wished since Gorge :)
  • Trading freezing while insane for her new perks are ok. Super helpful for beginners and winter/summer-joiners.
  • I'd like to know if Bernie is still craftable. 
  • I like a guaranteed burning on hit with torch/lighter. I mean she is the firestarter!
  • Aww, no real team-perk. Really, Willow has to be insane to work with Bernie with bosses? Well, I have to test it how good it can be.

10 hours ago, JoeW said:

Willow Refresh:  May 7th
Content Update (beta): Mid May
Unannounced New Character: Early June
Content Update (live): Mid/Late June
Next Refresh: Mid July

NOTE: As long time fans are aware, we do not prioritize dates above content or the team, so dates are always subject to change.

If you call it a rework, I am leaving. I can get ten billions better thing from the freaking workshop. And nice mid-april OR EVEN late-april when it's early May. I am done waiting for nothing, seriously guys. You made a roadmap and then didn't say a word about it until Wortox BUT ALSO then you waited for the last moment to tell us it'll come next month, not this one. I personally lost faith in you. "Character refresh every one month." GREAT, OMG FINALLY. But no because it'll be every 2 months or even more. And remember the first content update? It was supposed to come in at least 4 days now with this rework. If it's going to take that much time, I won't expect the second rework until August. I don't even want to think when you're going to finish your DLC. Let me guess... mid-June 2021 BUT REMEMBER THAT DATES MAY CHANGE AND IT MAY BE OCTOBER 2022.
This game is literally dying but in an awful agony because instead of starting to do something about your content, you made a lot of it and deleted it instead of adding it to the main game like Gorge or Forge.
Skins are the thing that make me cry. I was collecting every single skin just in case you make an update so there will be something that I can come back to and then use them to make me and my base look way better. But sadly I guess it's time to sell them all and move to the next game because there's nothing to wait for.

I just woke up and saw this and it made my day even worse than it was going to be...
Thank you Klei for the info!

2 minutes ago, StrangeChameleon said:

If you call it a rework, I am leaving. I can get ten billions better thing from the freaking workshop. And nice mid-april OR EVEN late-april when it's early May. I am done waiting for nothing, seriously guys. You made a roadmap and then didn't say a word about it until Wortox BUT ALSO then you waited for the last moment to tell us it'll come next month, not this one. I personally lost faith in you. "Character refresh every one month." GREAT, OMG FINALLY. But no because it'll be every 2 months or even more. And remember the first content update? It was supposed to come in at least 4 days now with this rework. If it's going to take that much time, I won't expect the second rework until August. I don't even want to think when you're going to finish your DLC. Let me guess... mid-June 2021 BUT REMEMBER THAT DATES MAY CHANGE AND IT MAY BE OCTOBER 2022.
This game is literally dying but in an awful agony because instead of starting to do something about your content, you made a lot of it and deleted it instead of adding it to the main game like Gorge or Forge.
Skins are the thing that make me cry. I was collecting every single skin just in case you make an update so there will be something that I can come back to and then use them to make me and my base look way better. But sadly I guess it's time to sell them all and move to the next game because there's nothing to wait for.

I just woke up and saw this and it made my day even worse than it was going to be...
Thank you Klei for the info!

dude if you collect skins then you know klei is bad with dates and good at content.

If Klei did release the updates yesterday, it probably would have been bug af. I really don't mind the delays, it just means the content will be better.

Plus I have a good world going and I don't want to start a new one until year two.

Ooh~ This looks good~

Ah.. just had a thought. Wishful thinking but- allow willow to put out full fires, though this will cost her health like smouldering fires for other characters (not sure how much health, but.) Excited for the release~~

edit: Oh, some people have mentioned this idea already. Sorry bout that uwu

Ah, also also, Bernie vs shadow bosses/fuelweaver? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 hour ago, StrangeChameleon said:

They really are but they fu***d up now. It's too much time to wait! AHHHH

Go attempt to make a video game development team then speak. You don't know what's going on at klei. And frankly with klei being humans just like us (Wow what a surprise!) They probably want it just as much as us.

Now that I've had more time to read the changes I think I can better address the changes. Overall am ok with them. I didn't expect some crazy new abilities anyway. All I'd add is please buff the lighter! it is more expensive than a lantern yet way worse, infact worse than a torch. Cooking isn't worth the trade of having almost no light radius. All other class specific items are direct upgrades to the normal alternatives. 

I disagree with all the posts about making her overpowered or top tier just for the sake of it. We don't need any more character who are wicker\wolfgang\WX tier. We need more diverse characters ,not more characters that fully ignore game mechanics..

Spoiler

Sorry about formatting

13 hours ago, JoeW said:

• Willow no longer gets cold from low sanity.

Finally! It was really annoying and easily one of the worst downsides in the entire game, although it was much               easier to manage after it got buffed a few months ago

• Willow takes more damage and loses sanity from freezing.

Fair enough

• Willow takes less damage from overheating.

More than welcome

• Willow gets fire immunity for the first several seconds and then reduced damage thereafter. 

This is good. Giving player characters outright immunity to mechanics is bad design in my book anyway. No                  matter how rare the mechanic is.

• Willow takes no burn damage while extinguishing fires and does it faster than others.

Please allow her to try and put out bigger fires. They'd still pierce her immunity if she overdoes it and it also                  possible to make her lose sanity from putting out bigger fires since she is a pyro.

• Adding fuel to fires is more effective for Willow.

Not that strong, not useless at least.

• Bernie can now be equipped by Willow for sanity and warmth at the cost of durability.

Depends on how much warmth he provides. Can allies use it too? If yes then winter is about to become easier              to newer players!

• Bernie grows big and will taunt and fight most hostile creatures when Willow is nearby and insane.
  • Bernie will still taunt Shadow Creatures when any other player is nearby and insane.

Does this work with multiple Bernies? If yes then hello top tier nightmare fuel farming from day 1! Just bring a                Wigfrid and stock up.

• In addition, Willow still gains sanity near fire and can still cook with her Lighter.

If the sanity gain is still the same amount then this does nothing at all.

After going through the first few rounds of character refreshes and introducing a brand new character, we have had the chance to regroup to see how our scheduling is working out and have decided to make a few small changes. The scheduling we initially set for ourselves was too aggressive and we’ll be pulling back a bit so that the dev cycle for new content isn’t as hard on our team.

Take your time guys. 

So... willow needs even more than a rebalance and everyone knows that, I like that concept of bernie and think that fit even more to role at a party composition than just fire immunity or restore her sanity close to fire.

if she is a fire maniac why wont bring she to another tipe of fire 

so has been thinking for a while in NIGHTMARE FUEL and this nightmare fire pit, thats the idea:

willow have a special item, something close to a nightmare fire pit that keep nightmare creatures away from a area on this fire pit(perfect for a base and isnt broken), this willow fire pit acept only nightmare fuel.

with the consept of bernie atracting the creatures and the nightmare wilow pit keeping they far away, wilow will fit a new and more userful role on the team (being that i think everyone will agree that a bunch of nightmares creatures on the base is discusting).

bernie coud be more userful on the ealy game and the nighmare willow pit later on 

Ok so, I think it's time I gave my personal idea for this Willow rework/refresh.

As harsh and critical as I can be, I can understand as to why Klei could possibly be scared of being adventurous with Willow and her perks. It's very hard to make a character with the title "The Firestarter" useful and team friendly in a survival game.

But now for my imagined perks and my opinions behind them.

Willow should have fire immunity back. - Overall fun mechanic for the people who played Willow, not OP nor really useless. Just fun and in line with her theme.

Willow's lighter should be infinite when held but it loses durability when cooked on, everyone can cook on it. - Nice early game perk which can somewhat translate into late game if you just wanna stroll around the base without wanting to waste your lantern durability or Winona's spotlights.

Willow gains a boost of movement speed when near a flame, this counts for torches, lighters and flames. - This could be in line with the theme and a nice world exploration perk.

Willow has constant sanity regen when near fire and when near Bernie, on the ground or in her inventory. - This could give her sanity control which is always nice.

Willow could have a flame meter on the top of the screen (much like woody's log meter) which decays over time whenever she doesn't light a flame. - This could be her downside, she'd lose sanity and her temperature would drop when the meter reaches 0 which would make her title of "The Firestarter" meaningful, and it wouldn't be as destructive as her old downside, you'd have control over it.

Willow can right click the ground with her lighter to spawn a flame which doesn't get extinguished by flingomatics and last for as long as she's near it. - This could be a fun way to bring back the old and great fire farms that were one of the most fun things for some of us.

I'd add all of these perks/downsides to the ones klei has presented us with today to have a very cool and fun character! Hope you take this into consideration Klei.

Archived