[POLL] PvP rebalance interest

PvP rebalance interest poll  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested at all in PvP mode?

2. 2. Which game mode do you play more often?

3. 3. Would you like a comprehensive update that focuses on PvP combat after the character rebalance update?

4. 4. How urgently do you thing the devs should focus on fixing PvE vs PvP modes?

• Focus on fixing PvE first
    • Focus on fixing PvP first
    • Focus on fixing PvE and PvP at the same time

Just now, fimmatek said:

Jesus Christ, can someone summarize for me in a few sentences what the last 20 comments are about?

about 18 million personal jabs and zero actual progress

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Not yet.. This is showing real data.. Don't get distracted by the comments 

wheres the data i don't want to read through this wall of text for it

12 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

It's impossible to balance pvp so a single person can deal with a group of 4 and that is what needs to be fixed

Or maybe you know a solution to this I'd really like to know

Get some friends. What more can I say? I had already said that other changes could be made, and maybe PvP shouldn't be balanced around a single person since this is Don't Starve Together, but feel free to correct me on that.

13 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

then why did you make this one?

Are you saying I made this thread? I did not, FreyaMaluk did.

12 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Defeatist Im just a realist stating facts

I'm sorry if I have offended you in any way, and if you can refrain from protecting your pride in a public thread, that would be kind of you. If you have any problems with me or my opinions, you're free to PM me any time and hopefully we can settle things and move on with our lives.

7 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I disagree. Most of the comprehensive ideas layed out in a cohesive way have way more chances of getting heard than here in the comments that get flooded by other stuff

This post pretty much prove you wrong.. It's a comprehensive list that gives all people the opportunity to give their opinion in a concise manner. 

LOL.. I'm Not looking to be endulged with anything nor asking for it. I'm just giving you advice from my experience. I've posted many comprehensive threads already with clear focus. You are free to take my advice or ignore it. 

Was this whole thread made in spite of me? Did the DST Roadmap conflict get to you? No one is right or wrong when we're talking about opinions, and you completely disregarded my post about polls in a controlled environment being biased. Any form of input is helpful, big or small. To say that small ones don't help is undermining a majority of players, and this stems back to me talking about how the forums might be daunting for new players because of this very issue, so please refrain from belittling others for having an opinion.

As for other posts that seem to be coming at lightning speed, consider thinking before posting, as it helps reduce spam in this thread and allows for a smooth flow of critical thinking. I will no longer be responding to anymore short and quick replies unless they're pertinent to the topic at hand, and if that isn't clear to you, feel free to PM me and ask whatever you'd like.

6 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

can we please get this thread locked? we aren't progressing in any way

This is the constant issue with trying to talk about PvP. It seems that many users, unfortunately yourself included, resort to personal jabs and passive-aggressive behaviour when it comes to talking about PvP. It's a real shame that it's always been like this from my experience and that of others, and I hope that in the future this issue can be resolved in a civil manner.

1 minute ago, _Ellat_ said:

Hmpf pride

Instead of this pointless discussion maybe you'll say WHAT exactly fix with pvp and how

I would if some users on this thread would give me the time to do so instead of spamming jabs for having a PvP-oriented opinion. This discussion could have very well not been pointless if not for the jabs I had mentioned earlier. WHAT will fix PvP? Tweaking the fighting mechanics. This effect would help both PvP and PvE because in both gamemodes, with the arsenals the players are offered in the game and how the mechanics work, fighting is just hit & run.

1 minute ago, BeanBagSonic said:

This is the constant issue with trying to talk about PvP. It seems that many users, unfortunately yourself included, resort to personal jabs and passive-aggressive behaviour when it comes to talking about PvP. It's a real shame that it's always been like this from my experience and that of others, and I hope that in the future this issue can be resolved in a civil manner.

i never made a single jab at you and also if you actually want to make PvP good it needs ideas for machanics to fix it please if you want to fix something you need to say how rather than just insult people

Yeah I wonder why it is like this

I hope you're not trying to point your finger at me, because if you are that is highly immature of you, especially after having textually screamed at me for supporting PvP. To answer your question though, if it is a genuine question, it's like this because many on the forums embrace DST as a PvE only game and for their own reasons have not played PvP, yet have an intense opinion against PvP and ultimately shut down those who have a pro-PvP opinion.

Just now, 4 Da LOLs said:

i never made a single jab at you and also if you actually want to make PvP good it needs ideas for machanics to fix it please if you want to fix something you need to say how rather than just insult people

The only one who's been insulting people is you and _Ellat_, my apologies for calling names. You two have not been making any thoughtful posts and have given me no room to put any actual input. I had already said a few posts ago that it's not a case of saying one word and PvP is fixed, it's a process, much like myself addressing you two is also a process, an unfortunate one at that.

@ImDaMisterL if you could do something about this thread to settle down the negativity in here, that would be nice.

7 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

I would if some users on this thread would give me the time to do so instead of spamming jabs for having a PvP-oriented opinion. This discussion could have very well not been pointless if not for the jabs I had mentioned earlier. WHAT will fix PvP? Tweaking the fighting mechanics. This effect would help both PvP and PvE because in both gamemodes, with the arsenals the players are offered in the game and how the mechanics work, fighting is just hit & run.

@BeanBagSonic and @_Ellat_... Just stop... Stop.. 

Expose concrete ideas and let's stop this ridiculous back and forth with no substance. Take 5 mind and elaborate a comprehensive list of changes for PvP. 

Stop increasing the level of aggression just because. Pls. 

pls don't lock this thread yet we we're starting to have a nice discussion. 

@BeanBagSonic (love ur name btw), your points are very valid and I can see where you're coming from. We have different perspectives on what Don't Starve PvP should be. The nomadic crazy style is an entirely different game play experience to what the core Don't Starve is. Does that mean its bad? No, its just different.

To my perspective, I'd prefer Don't Starve PvP to be the usual Don't Starve experience of making bases and surviving but with the added threat of crossing paths with a hostile survivor. Something like Rust in a way. Now, that's really hard to do with the way PvP is currently formulated which is why I brought up my points.

I guess it depends on what works and what people want. Do people more so want the nomadic, no mans land style of hop on, run around and kill nerds and cause chaos (like the server icons suggest) or do they want the normal Don't Starve experience with a dash of player threat? I feel like if the former could be balanced alongside with regular PvE however if people want the latter, then yeah that'd require a full redesign I feel.

4 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

I'm waiting

Still waiting

Please refrain from spamming, as now I have no idea what it is you're waiting for. This is an example of posting your emotions rather than rational thought, and it is a sad sight to see on a post that had potential to be productive.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

@BeanBagSonic and @_Ellat_... Just stop... Stop.. 

Expose concrete ideas and let's stop this ridiculous back and forth with no substance. Take 5 mind and elaborate a comprehensive list of changes for PvP. 

Stop increasing the level of aggression just because. Pls. 

It's a shame you seem to be naming me as one of the users who has insulted others, because that was never my intention. I hope this whole thread was not made to spite me in the first place after the DST Roadmap incident, which if it is still bothering you, you're free to PM me and we can talk about what it is that's bothering you in particular.

2 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

@BeanBagSonic (love ur name btw), your points are very valid and I can see where you're coming from. We have different perspectives on what Don't Starve PvP should be. The nomadic crazy style is an entirely different game play experience to what the core Don't Starve is. Does that mean its bad? No, its just different.

Haha, thanks. I understand that we do have different viewpoints, and that's alright. It's always better to have other perspectives, because that really helps to cover all bases of a point. The nomadic style is indeed different, but from my experience it's been very fun with friends and alone too. Different, yes. Fun? That's subjective, but from my experience I've met some of my greatest friends and have had quite a fun time.

5 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

To my perspective, I'd prefer Don't Starve PvP to be the usual Don't Starve experience of making bases and surviving but with the added threat of crossing paths with a hostile survivor. Something like Rust in a way. Now, that's really hard to do with the way PvP is currently formulated which is why I brought up my points.

I really like this point. I like it a lot actually. That would be super fun if it could actually come to fruition, but I understand that that would be very tough to do. Either way, it's a point raised that is different from mine but is also one I really like, so thank you for that.

6 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

I guess it depends on what works and what people want. Do people more so want the nomadic, no mans land style of hop on, run around and kill nerds and cause chaos (like the server icons suggest) or do they want the normal Don't Starve experience with a dash of player threat? I feel like if the former could be balanced alongside with regular PvE however if people want the latter, then yeah that'd require a full redesign I feel.

I would agree with you on this, that it would indeed require a full redesign if people wanted a more Rust-like feel. In turn, I understand that you wouldn't want to wait a long long time for something like this. I think PvP is nice in the current ways it offers itself, like how you said people can be nomadic, or it can be a chaotic server where people have Creative Mode even and just go crazy. PvP can go places so long as we allow it to go place, and that's the general idea that I wanted to convey.

2 hours ago, _Ellat_ said:

PVP FIX IDEA

DELETE PVP

1 hour ago, _Ellat_ said:

NOONE CARES ABOUT PVP

1 hour ago, _Ellat_ said:

All pvp servers are dead

Umm, about you saying you wanted to know how PvP should be fixed...

How is this post productive I already asked what can we do to fix pvp What is supposed to be fixed and HOW

Its not my fault that you only read what you want

You haven't given me much to read in the first place, sorry to say. I hope that in the future you can give me more to work with and I can answer all of your questions. Thank you.

4 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

Please refrain from spamming, as now I have no idea what it is you're waiting for. This is an example of posting your emotions rather than rational thought, and it is a sad sight to see on a post that had potential to be productive.

It's a shame you seem to be naming me as one of the users who has insulted others, because that was never my intention. I hope this whole thread was not made to spite me in the first place after the DST Roadmap incident, which if it is still bothering you, you're free to PM me and we can talk about what it is that's bothering you in particular.

Haha, thanks. I understand that we do have different viewpoints, and that's alright. It's always better to have other perspectives, because that really helps to cover all bases of a point. The nomadic style is indeed different, but from my experience it's been very fun with friends and alone too. Different, yes. Fun? That's subjective, but from my experience I've met some of my greatest friends and have had quite a fun time.

I really like this point. I like it a lot actually. That would be super fun if it could actually come to fruition, but I understand that that would be very tough to do. Either way, it's a point raised that is different from mine but is also one I really like, so thank you for that.

I would agree with you on this, that it would indeed require a full redesign if people wanted a more Rust-like feel. In turn, I understand that you wouldn't want to wait a long long time for something like this. I think PvP is nice in the current ways it offers itself, like how you said people can be nomadic, or it can be a chaotic server where people have Creative Mode even and just go crazy. PvP can go places so long as we allow it to go place, and that's the general idea that I wanted to convey.

Did I ever say u insulted anybody? I said aggression.. And no concrete ideas pls read what I say... 

Whats its bothering me is this pointless exchange of no substance... 

As I said before.. Pls take 5 minutes and ask yourself what do you want PvP to be like... Write those ideas in a comprehensive list... That's all I am asking for u.. 

1 hour ago, reverentsatyr said:

I really don't want to start yet another argument about PvP, but I still honestly don't see how that could work. What exactly do you mean by the fight mechanics from forge? I haven't played it, but don't you still run the same speed, and therefore could forever runaway from other players?(I really don't want to turn this into a heated argument, I'm just confused about your post.)

Every weapon had a special attack (right-mouse click) that could do AoE dmg, dash and the like. So in scenario someone runs away, another player can opt for said special to catch up/do dmg.

In another line of thought as someone that previously was pretty anti-PvP as a DST concept, also needlessly flaming because I've gone into these types of threads hot headed and with aggressive attitude 'cause I thought "my toys might be taken away" aka fearing nerfs to characters, I want to point some aspect that seem to be glossed over (by yours truly too):

1. more or less JoeW pointed this year priority has ANR2 content;

2. PvP at this point, as a concept, is not so much a matter of priority but of awareness - that it exists, is lacking, needs rework, has potential - like everything bearing the mantle of "content";

3. PvP balance doesn't mean necessary PvE will have to suffer in any shape or form;

4. people complaining a prominent PvP in future could attract "toxic people" to the game (more so than in present) - yes, maybe it could, but it will siphon the "toxic people" in PvP, including ones that might go otherwise to PvE, griefers included - Win-Win scenario in my book;

5. current pool of PvP-interested people is at 31%; even if is a small sample, still is a sample and points to a pretty significant number; at least it deserves some attention.

@_Ellat_ c'mon ma dude, play friendly, no need to turn this into a "dumpster fire".

Will also use this opportunity to apologize to @Lillyth, @Crimson Chin and @BeanBagSonic for my previous pretty much unwarranted crappy jabs borderlining insults in past PvP-related topics, more so as you were new in here forums and such "welcome" shouldn't had happen. I can see it more clearly now with what had befallen in previous pages of current topic and what you pro-PvP lot are subjected to.

Archived