[POLL] PvP rebalance interest

PvP rebalance interest poll  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested at all in PvP mode?

2. 2. Which game mode do you play more often?

3. 3. Would you like a comprehensive update that focuses on PvP combat after the character rebalance update?

4. 4. How urgently do you thing the devs should focus on fixing PvE vs PvP modes?

• Focus on fixing PvE first
    • Focus on fixing PvP first
    • Focus on fixing PvE and PvP at the same time

15 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

I apologise, but I can't just let the data talk because the data can very well be biased, and when considering what should be done for a game, or for anything in life really, bias should be excluded when making such decisions. 

Just because the majority of people doesn't care about PvP doesn't mean is bias. It's people's opinions. I could say the same about your opinion too.. u cannot just try to force a change that very few people want RN for this roadmap. U can always suggest a meaningful change with concrete ideas... that's always welcomed. 

I see there is potential for something fun (I voted for a future update after character rebalance) but for now Klei has clearly other priorities as Joe himself mentioned. 

Have a nice day

1 minute ago, _Ellat_ said:

It was on strictly unproffesional pvp server

How recent was this? I haven't seen you recently on SU PvP, and that server is regulated by a dedicated group that governs and moderates their servers so that players who break their rules suffer the consequences. I would require more details on your end (in PM or not) so that maybe we can make things better.

1 minute ago, _Ellat_ said:

Oh my god it was so long ago audi group vs rav group it was some silly war they created spawnkilling everyone etc. But they want to come back soo... it will most likely repeat soon

guess ill keep note of that k thnx.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Just because the majority of people doesn't care about PvP doesn't mean is bias. It's people's opinions. I could say the same about your opinion too, but I understand you really want this... but u cannot just try to force a change that very few people want. U can always suggest a meaningful change with concrete ideas... that's always welcomed. 

You're gathering the majority from a poll in an environment where the very word "PvP" drives people insane, as demonstrated a few posts ago. That, by definition, is bias. A bias can be an opinion, but it is a biased opinion. My opinion, and those of players who enjoy PvP, are not biased because they're not making polls in an environment that's pro-PvP, they are simply a minority that have an opinion. I don't really want this, and I'm not trying to force a change that more than just a few want, it's just a change that would be nice to see if it does end up happening. I believe I have already been making small suggestions here and there, but if you have certain questions as to what should be suggested and whatnot, you're free to ask me.

2 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

Oh my god it was so long ago audi group vs rav group it was some silly war they created spawnkilling everyone etc. But they want to come back soo... it will most likely repeat soon

Is pvp deleted yet?

I would need evidence of this. SImply saying that "this happened long ago" doesn't exactly solidify your credibility. I have no clue where you heard that "they" wanted to come back, but that sounds like gaming politics that isn't pertinent to this topic.

Keep your chin up. PvP's still around.

11 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

You're gathering the majority from a poll in an environment where the very word "PvP" drives people insane, as demonstrated a few posts ago. That, by definition, is bias. A bias can be an opinion, but it is a biased opinion. My opinion, and those of players who enjoy PvP, are not biased because they're not making polls in an environment that's pro-PvP, they are simply a minority that have an opinion. I don't really want this, and I'm not trying to force a change that more than just a few want, it's just a change that would be nice to see if it does end up happening. I believe I have already been making small suggestions here and there, but if you have certain questions as to what should be suggested and whatnot, you're free to ask me.

Here and there suggestions won't produce a change.. Elaborate a list of comprehensive changes as a new post. Ty

PvP is the only name I can use.. How am I supposed to call it? 

As much as you want ur ideas to be heard don't try just to call biased if the results don't adjust to want you want to see. That's the idea of a poll. To hear everybody. 

Just now, BeanBagSonic said:

I would need evidence of this. SImply saying that "this happened long ago" doesn't exactly solidify your credibility. I have no clue where you heard that "they" wanted to come back, but that sounds like gaming politics that isn't pertinent to this topic.

Keep your chin up. PvP's still around.

Evidence? Hilarious you'll see for yourself they said it on forums under some pvp fix thread

1 minute ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

so you defend your points religiously?

what are they?

Settle down, please. I don't defend my points "religiously" as you put it, but to boil it down for you in as few words as possible, my main point is that PvP has potential to be improved upon, which can also improve PvE, and shouldn't be neglected as it is right now. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me or post here, but stay on the topic if possible.

1 minute ago, BeanBagSonic said:

Settle down, please. I don't defend my points "religiously" as you put it, but to boil it down for you in as few words as possible, my main point is that PvP has potential to be improved upon, which can also improve PvE, and shouldn't be neglected as it is right now. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me or post here, but stay on the topic if possible.

wrong word

i was saying that you need actual stats actual changes actual game changers other than just "improved"

im saying how will this be achieved?

you see a problem how do we fix it

The way the game is currently laid out, when you balance something for PvP, you also balance it for PvE. This is evident in the sleep changes and fire spread changes when DST first launched. In an ideally perfect world, you'd have balance for both PvE and PvP, making them entirely separate modes and not just a server option that changes a "hurt other players" flag.

Now in my opinion, currently how DST is laid out, PvP is not something that can be easily expanded upon to since it is flawed fundamentally in its current state. Don't Starve is often herald as a base building survival game but if you wish to play PvP, all the base building is gone for a more nomadic play style. The map is also no longer a living breathing world in PvP since some resources can easily be just flat out demolished from existence.

So, to my perspective the only way PvP can be re balanced or even expanded upon is for an entire redesign of the system, splitting up the two modes entirely with features such as base protection, proper resource regrowth and such. Do I want that? Absolutely not since that's pretty much doubling the work load for a mode that isn't even the most popular. But that's just my opinion. For all I know it could revitalise the game into the mainstream earning Klei lots of big bucks; but as it stands now most people I've played any form of Don't Starve with find the concept of PvP a huge deviation from what makes Don't Starve, Don't Starve.

Also for lords sake can people please keep it civil. thanks brothers xox

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Here and there suggestions won't produce a change.. Elaborate a list of comprehensive changes as a new post. Ty

PvP is the only name I can use.. How am I supposed to call it? 

As much as you want ur ideas to be heard don't try just to call biased if the results don't adjust to want you want. That's the idea of a poll. To hear everybody. 

A few faults on your end that I will point out. "Here and there suggestions" as you put it can actually produce a change, and has done so for many other games. As much as I'd love to indulge in your desire for me to make a whole list, I'll be waiting until this environment is a lot more friendlier to propose changes that will be read fully and thoroughly, but as of now users here are spontaneously posting their emotions rather than actual thought, so unfortunately this thread too may be spiraling out of control.

@ImDaMisterL

1 minute ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

wrong word

i was saying that you need actual stats actual changes actual game changers other than just "improved"

im saying how will this be achieved?

you see a problem how do we fix it

I understand that you want one magic word, or maybe a few more words to propose how PvP should be fixed. There are a lot of mechanics that would have to be looked at, and that could be a whole new thread on its own. You've got stunlocks, you've got runners, you've got STS and panflute. Changes can be made for these that have already been proposed by others in the past. Would these changes hurt PvE? I don't believe they would. If you have other thoughts on that, I'd like to hear them, but for the most part people seem to want to not want a mechanic-oriented update on a game which they complain has flawed mechanics.

3 minutes ago, _Ellat_ said:

The thing is you CAN'T

This seems rather defeatist. I believe you CAN change PvP, maybe even fix it. I can't deny that it would take time though.

3 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

A few faults on your end that I will point out. "Here and there suggestions" as you put it can actually produce a change, and has done so for many other games. As much as I'd love to indulge in your desire for me to make a whole list, I'll be waiting until this environment is a lot more friendlier to propose changes that will be read fully and thoroughly, but as of now users here are spontaneously posting their emotions rather than actual thought, so unfortunately this thread too may be spiraling out of control.

@ImDaMisterL

I understand that you want one magic word, or maybe a few more words to propose how PvP should be fixed. There are a lot of mechanics that would have to be looked at, and that could be a whole new thread on its own. You've got stunlocks, you've got runners, you've got STS and panflute. Changes can be made for these that have already been proposed by others in the past. Would these changes hurt PvE? I don't believe they would. If you have other thoughts on that, I'd like to hear them, but for the most part people seem to want to not want a mechanic-oriented update on a game which they complain has flawed mechanics.

This seems rather defeatist. I believe you CAN change PvP, maybe even fix it. I can't deny that it would take time though.

Defeatist? Im just a realist stating facts

13 minutes ago, BeanBagSonic said:

A few faults on your end that I will point out. "Here and there suggestions" as you put it can actually produce a change, and has done so for many other games. As much as I'd love to indulge in your desire for me to make a whole list, I'll be waiting until this environment is a lot more friendlier to propose changes that will be read fully and thoroughly, but as of now users here are spontaneously posting their emotions rather than actual thought, so unfortunately this thread too may be spiraling out of control..

I disagree. Most of the comprehensive ideas layed out in a cohesive way have way more chances of getting heard than here in the comments that get flooded by other stuff

This post pretty much proves you wrong.. It's a comprehensive list that gives all people the opportunity to give their opinion in a concise manner. 

LOL.. I'm Not looking to be endulged with anything nor asking for it. I'm just giving you advice from my experience. I've posted many comprehensive threads already with clear focus. You are free to take my advice or ignore it. 

4 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

The way the game is currently laid out, when you balance something for PvP, you also balance it for PvE. This is evident in the sleep changes and fire spread changes when DST first launched. In an ideally perfect world, you'd have balance for both PvE and PvP, making them entirely separate modes and not just a server option that changes a "hurt other players" flag.

You can actually balance for both PvP and PvE without hurting either modes and making them incredibly different. An example of this can be making it so STS and Pan Flute makes people drowsy instead of putting them to sleep. This change would exist in both gamemodes, but wouldn't affect those in PvE because players can't be put to sleep in PvP. That's a small change, but a change that would actually help a lot. Fire spread, I can't say much for that because it's fine as it is and I don't know how it would be tweaked for PvP. It's as destructive as it should be, which brings me to my next point.

7 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

Now in my opinion, currently how DST is laid out, PvP is not something that can be easily expanded upon to since it is flawed fundamentally in its current state. Don't Starve is often herald as a base building survival game but if you wish to play PvP, all the base building is gone for a more nomadic play style. The map is also no longer a living breathing world in PvP since some resources can easily be just flat out demolished from existence.

I don't think anyone said it would be easy, but I do agree that it is flawed, though its fundamentals could actually stem from PvE too (fighting mechanics being hit & run without any variety or difficulty). I understand that its singleplayer counterpart, which is the same as DST, but PvP was made as an option in DST, and your mentioning of how base building is gone in PvP is another example of the refreshing difference in gameplay. As for the map, it can be even more of a living breathing world if resource regeneration were more focused upon, which can again help PvE too, and if we had dynamic biomes (that's a whole different discussion), that would give our world the most life you could possibly imagine!

11 minutes ago, Ashkain said:

So, to my perspective the only way PvP can be re balanced or even expanded upon is for an entire redesign of the system, splitting up the two modes entirely with features such as base protection, proper resource regrowth and such. Do I want that? Absolutely not since that's pretty much doubling the work load for a mode that isn't even the most popular. But that's just my opinion. For all I know it could revitalise the game into the mainstream earning Klei lots of big bucks; but as it stands now most people I've played any form of Don't Starve with find the concept of PvP a huge deviation from what makes Don't Starve, Don't Starve.

I'm conflicted with this idea. It doesn't necessarily have to be severely split up as you're making it sound, with all the dramatic emphasis on separation, but both gamemodes can be more livelier than they already are. PvP doesn't need base protection because you don't make bases in PvP, and resource regrowth would be something that, if worked upon, would also benefit PvE because any player can burn all the reeds on a map, or all the cacti, and we'd have the same problem here. Either way, I respect your opinion, and we all have our own thoughts on what would benefit DST. Thank you for posting a thoughtful and constructive post. It seems that others in here should follow your example.

Archived