[Wheeler Poll] Your Thoughts On Wheeler's Changes?

How do you like Wheeler?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the Trusty Shooter in its current state?

• Overpowered/Unbalanced.
    • Fine as is.
    • STILL too weak.
  2. 2. What do you think of Wheeler's dodge right now?

• OP/Unbalanced.
    • It works fine, needs no change.
    • It needs a buff.
  3. 3. What do you think of Wheeler's movement speed buff?

• It's overpowered and should be changed.
    • It's a great addition that needs no change.
    • It's not good enough and should be buffed.
  4. 4. What do you think of Wheeler's -5 inventory slots being removed?

• It should be added back, it was a good drawback.
    • It's a great change, it was annoying to deal with.
  5. 5. What do you think Wheeler's downside(s) should be, if any?

• Bring back -5 inventory slots.
    • Weighed down by items in inventory/armor worn.
    • Lower Max HP.
    • Increase the dodge roll timer.
    • Disable any outside speed boosters. (Roads, canes, coffee, etc.)
    • Other (Discuss in comments).

I know, I know, another thread about Wheeler. But this one is not like other girls, it has a poll! I want to collect everyone's thoughts on Wheeler and her changes in her current state to decide what the majority thinks of her right now in this neatly organized poll.

What do you guys think of her shooter, her dodge, her movement buff, her previous drawback, her lack of current drawback? I wanna hear from all you guys.

If you are not aware of the changes, I recommend you read over today's update log before voting. 

"1. What do you think of the Trusty Shooter in its current state?"

"STILL too weak."

lmao

people who vote for -5 slots to comeback and for her to get slowed down by wearing armor are masochists :wilson_ecstatic:

I don't mind the 1.5 second cooldown dodgeroll but I feel like it's something that should have an energy cost to it. Like a very small (like 1-2 point) cost to hunger for using it. If characters like wilbur and wolfgang are going to pay for superior "sprint tier" movespeed with hunger costs then it would make sense that a roll would too.

1 minute ago, Obviousclone said:

I don't mind the 1.5 second cooldown dodgeroll but I feel like it's something that should have an energy cost to it. Like a very small (like 1-2 point) cost to hunger for using it. If characters like wilbur and wolfgang are going to pay for superior "sprint tier" movespeed with hunger costs then it would make sense that a roll would too.

No more spamming dodge for fun in the pig cities to feel cool :wilson_resigned:

The +10% movement speed buff was already good enough to compensate her -5 Slots penalty: You could always craft yourself a Piggyback to get your 5 (+1) slots back or keep having the Backpack but with a movement speed boost. And thanks to her dodge, movement speed penalties aren't as bad as on other characters. Perhaps: There could always be an item near the Eye Bone or Fishbone which allows her to find Chester or the Packim Baggims quickly, just to get rid of her penalty.

The shooter was on a good state too, only the attack delay was a bit problematic: *Aims at running Hounds*, *Shoots at him when he stands right next to her*. Farming ammo was pretty easy in mid-/lategame if you had a nice stinger farm (Elephant Cacti / Lureplant near Beehive) and the horn finally made stingers useful again.

Her dodge ability is way too OP: You don't even need armor to kill a boss anymore, just dodge towards him to negate all the damage. Either remove the invincibility while dodging or remove the invincibility against 'area of effect' attacks which are mostly used by bosses.

The Navigadget was mostly only useful in SW (Find the Slot-Machine, the 2nd Doydoy or every Thing for the Wooden Platfrom Thing quickly) or ROG-Ruins.

About her stats: She felt like a Wilson who traded his beard for a dodge ability and his 5 slots for 2 new items.

4 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Her dodge ability is way too OP: You don't even need armor to kill a boss anymore, just dodge towards him to negate all the damage. Either remove the invincibility while dodging or remove the invincibility against 'area of effect' attacks which are mostly used by bosses.

If this is OP I would say just make the first .25 seconds or something provide invincibility, then it would really take skill to preform the dodge, but then it would be pretty pointless to preform when you can just kite :(

edit: Didn't see the area of effect thing, yeah that sounds good I guess

• Add smaller inventory drawback back
  • Remove the airhorn entirely, it's really not needed at all to be completely honest.
  • Speedbuff's ok, she's an explorer right? Covering more ground faster is good and makes up for the smaller inventory.
  • The way the compass is loaded needs to change. Right now it counteracts anything you can do for a "smaller inv" debuff by adding another slot to your inventory without cost. Not to mention, it bugs out like crazy with a backpack. There should be a new way to tell the compass what to search for and it should not use the anim at the player's feet but rather the compass UI from Don't Starve Together colored blue.
  • To compensate in combat for the runspeed and dodgeroll (making kiting VERY easy) she definitely should have a very small health pool.
  • Nerf dodgeroll a small bit... Right now it's so easy to combat mobs that you don't even need armor. Maybe less I-frames? Or maybe no I-frames at all and you have to use it to dodge *away* from the attack very last second?

If these changes are made made this makes her an exciting challenge character that has plenty of STRONG pros to compensate for the challenge. I really would love a character like this. Right now though she's just way too powerful and I feel like her items were poorly implemented.

At first trusty shooter must be nerfed. 37 max dmg was enough. 

At second, guys, we must remember, that character needs drawback. -5 slots were very good thing, cause from release of DS two groups of players were: who always use backpack and who dont use backpack ever. This drawback can show to player how important inventory management is. 

But here is another way. Wheeler has really strong accomplishments right now. And what if Klei remove her chest slot? No backpacks, no armor. Only this can balance her dodge, speedboost and range specialization.

2 hours ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

Wheeler got a speed buff and buffs because she was super crippled like look at her. she  broke her legs on release because she dodged too much like a god that she became disabled 

um.png

Uhh... okay ?

3 hours ago, Warbucks said:

"1. What do you think of the Trusty Shooter in its current state?"

"STILL too weak."

lmao

people who vote for -5 slots to comeback and for her to get slowed down by wearing armor are masochists :wilson_ecstatic:

some people voted for that xD

2 hours ago, Fidooop said:
  • Remove the airhorn entirely, it's really not needed at all to be completely honest.

I think is a fun addition ... compare pls to wagstaff... he has so many craftables and noone is asking to take stuff from him...

just revert to old dmg values or at least something like 23/34/50

• Speedbuff's ok, she's an explorer right? Covering more ground faster is good and makes up for the smaller inventory.

agreed... I think they changed like that having in mind piggyback but then added the 5 inv slots.. whaaat?

• To compensate in combat for the runspeed and dodgeroll (making kiting VERY easy) she definitely should have a very small health pool.

agree completely I say 100-110 hp... along those lines

• Nerf dodgeroll a small bit... Right now it's so easy to combat mobs that you don't even need armor. Maybe less I-frames? Or maybe no I-frames at all and you have to use it to dodge *away* from the attack very last second?

I personally find her dodge pretty fun.. I wouldn't touch it...

remember that WX exist... and Wolfgang

3 hours ago, Chris1448 said:

snip

great poll and very comprehensive questions.. Good job :)

She doesn't need the 10% passive movement speed on top of the 15% she can get from freeing up inventory slots.

There's a reason no other character has a base movement speed increase without some cost, and it's because it breaks the game. Kiting enemies becomes way too easy.

She already has an overpowered dodge, I don't understand why she needs to break the game further.

14 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

She doesn't need the 10% passive movement speed on top of the 15% she can get from freeing up inventory slots.

There's a reason no other character has a base movement speed increase without some cost, and it's because it breaks the game. Kiting enemies becomes way too easy.

She already has an overpowered dodge, I don't understand why she needs to break the game further.

wx can get 50% for the rest of the game in all of the dlcs if you know what your doing(or exist in hamlet)

wilbur has a 33% speed boost while running 

while I do think maybe she should have a health penalty to counter the easier kiting but when do you go fighting a boss with a empty inventory? You might get a little bit of the speed boost if you use a backpack/krampus sack to store some armor and weapons but are you going to have less equipment to get the speed boost and 15% isn't that much compared to wx or wilbur so the 10% is just a bonus. 

9 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

wx can get 50% for the rest of the game in all of the dlcs if you know what your doing(or exist in hamlet)

wilbur has a 33% speed boost while running 

while I do think maybe she should have a health penalty to counter the easier kiting but when do you go fighting a boss with a empty inventory? You might get a little bit of the speed boost if you use a backpack/krampus sack to store some armor and weapons but are you going to have less equipment to get the speed boost and 15% isn't that much compared to wx or wilbur so the 10% is just a bonus. 

WX-78 atleast has a condition for his movement speed, and loses sanity every time he is struck by lightning.

He's not balanced, but that's not because he was balance changed to be overpowered.

And Wilbur's run is not only worthless in combat (where passive movement speed counts), but it also drains his hunger faster while running.

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

WX-78 atleast has a condition for his movement speed, and loses sanity every time he is struck by lightning.

He's not balanced, but that's not because he was balanced changed to be overpowered.

And Wilbur's run is not only worthless in combat (where passive movement speed counts), but it also drains his hunger faster while running.

the movement speed of wheeler isn't even useful when you can just dodge in place unless your fighting dragonfly(use airhorn) or on a boat dodging into the enemy is better than running cause you can get as many hits as possible than dodge last second. so the movement speed is only useful out of combat judging by the fact that speed boosts are useful when traveling not being able to carry as many items if you want more than 10% .

Also to everyone commenting about the invincibility during the dodge, I'm not giving my opinion in this comment, just adding a fact:

Armor still takes damage despite any I-Frames. Including Wolfgang's Hungerstun, jumping between boats, Godmode and Supergodmode, going through Wormholes, and getting on the throne.

Wortox was the first AND ONLY exception to this day, where his telepoof stops armor from taking damage during it. If Wheeler (and hopefully all the other I-Frames) get patched the same way Wortox did, I'll have different opinions on I-Frames in general, since you'd need to waste armor durability in case you mess up the timing in their current state... Also this has been a mechanic for over half a decade, let that sink in for a while.

Oh yeah, I didn't throw my two cents into this yet.

IMO the nerfs she could use to balance her current state out is lower max hp, -5 inventory slots, and fix the horn's balance.
Lower max hp makes sense to balance out the dodge, as it would give players an incentive to use it more in conjunction with kiting instead of tanking hits.
I'm not a fan of the idea of more items slowing her down to a crawl because playing as a slow character is not that fun to me. At least with lesser pocket space it makes sense she would be faster as she's not weighed down by much.
And the horn is just brokenly powerful, we've all been over it already: 50 damage petals and 100 damage rocks.

And thanks for all the votes on the poll! It means a lot.

4 hours ago, Computer-7 said:

the movement speed of wheeler isn't even useful when you can just dodge in place

Exactly.

I guess if you're going for the angle of "she's already over powered so why not make her even more overpowered", then fair enough

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Exactly.

I guess if you're going for the angle of "she's already over powered so why not make her even more overpowered", then fair enough

And yet no one cries ovet wolf speed or WX speed

I think the devs meant the speed for a piggyback meta but then forgot about it an increased inv space

Archived