The Hunter (speculation on the upcoming new character for DST)

10 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

It would be interesting to have a non-humanoid character, but I dunno. That'd be a lot of new anims and a lot of maintenance.

There is already a groundwork from the gorge tho. 

Billy and Mumsy already have tons of animations done .. Idle, give, running, speech, I mean... The list goes on.. 

And in DS we got Wilbur.. So non humanoid characters isn't really a thing.. 

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

There is already a groundwork from the gorge tho. 

Billy and Mumsy already have tons of animations done .. Idle, give, running, speech, I mean... The list goes on.. 

That's a few grains of sand in the beach of player-character animations. Equipment and emotes alone is already absurd.

I'm all for it. I'm just curious how they'd do it. 

1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

That's a few grains of sand in the beach of player-character animations. Equipment and emotes alone is already absurd.

I'm all for it. I'm just curious how they'd do it. 

Grain of sand to a beach is a bit of a stretch.. But ok.. xD

I don't think emotes are a problem..

When Mumsy gets desperate in the Gorge I think her character already conveys a lot of emotional info.. And they already have tilting head anims... So there is good amount of work done already 

As for armor and equipment .. I think it would be a bit like mighty Wolfgang.. They have to adjust the sprites a little bit for the body shape 

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Grain of sand to a beach is a bit of a stretch.. But ok.. xD

I don't think emotes are a problem..

When Mumsy gets desperate in the Gorge I think her character already conveys a lot of emotional info.. And they already have tilting head anims... So there is good amount of work done already 

As for armor and equipment .. I think it would be a bit like mighty Wolfgang.. They have to adjust the sprites a little bit for the body shape 

Actually, no he's right, grain to a beach is near correct, there's a ton of animations, like a lot.
Klei would have to redo every single one because a Hunchback such as Billy doesn't share the same body type/shape as the player does.

It's possible, but a bit absurd. Plus, if they add anymore animations, they'd essentially have 2x the work, they'd need to make it for the standard player, and the hunchback.

Trust me, I'd love to see a dorky broken back Billy running around lighting everything on fire, but I've got my doubts.

EDIT: Also, making animations is one of the more expensive things Klei could possibly invest in, so it'd cost a lot, too.

15 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Actually, no he's right, grain to a beach is near correct, there's a ton of animations, like a lot.
Klei would have to redo every single one because a Hunchback such as Billy doesn't share the same body type/shape as the player does.

It's possible, but a bit absurd. Plus, if they add anymore animations, they'd essentially have 2x the work, they'd need to make it for the standard player, and the hunchback.

Trust me, I'd love to see a dorky broken back Billy running around lighting everything on fire, but I've got my doubts.

But I think they also had to redo a lot of animations for Wolfgang in every state.. Cuz his mighty sprites have to be bigger to fit his bulked body.. And with a huge amount of repositioning and adjusting to fit his new neck and chest volume

One thing I don't get is why u say the will have to redo everything instead on building upon the sprites they already have for Billy for instance.. He runs around.. He has some physics as NPC... He has give anims, speech anims, head tilting, iddle poses, even his tail is animated too...

So yeap.. I guess we will have to wait and see.. Not sure how equipment might work in a technical sense.. But just because something looks difficult doesn't have to be impossible. 

Maybe they can't use body armor at all as a downside.. 

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

But I think they also had to redo a lot of animations for Wolfgang in every state.. Cuz his mighty sprites have to be bigger to fit his bulked body.. And with a huge amount of repositioning and adjusting to fit his new neck and chest volume

They didn't have to remake a single thing to fit Wolfgang.

He technically doesn't change, he uses the same animations with bulkier sprites. They use a code/command to make him look bigger, which has it's own issues.

Go buff Wolfgang and then ride a boat or Beefalo, they change size to fit him because of the command they used to make him look bigger, but because of visual reasons.

One thing I don't get is why u say the will have to redo everything instead on building upon the sprites they already have for Billy for instance.. He runs around.. He has some physics as NPC... He has give anims, speech anims, head tilting, iddle poses, even his tail is animated too...

Try out Leo's playable pets mod and play as Billy, or a Pigman, sure, they've got a lot of animations that the player has, but it doesn't hide the fact there's a ton left to do.

Maybe he'll just be reshaped into a normal character, or something, Klei will figure it out.

11 hours ago, Zeklo said:

It would be interesting to have a non-humanoid character, but I dunno. That'd be a lot of new anims and a lot of maintenance.

maybe there downside is that they can't wear body slots because they to large?

that would make them interesting and cut down on Kleis workload abit

9 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

They didn't have to remake a single thing to fit Wolfgang.

He technically doesn't change, he uses the same animations with bulkier sprites. They use a code/command to make him look bigger, which has it's own issues.

Go buff Wolfgang and then ride a boat or Beefalo, they change size to fit him because of the command they used to make him look bigger, but because of visual reasons.

Try out Leo's playable pets mod and play as Billy, or a Pigman, sure, they've got a lot of animations that the player has, but it doesn't hide the fact there's a ton left to do.

Maybe he'll just be reshaped into a normal character, or something, Klei will figure it out.

It is false that Wolfgang doesn’t have unique versions just for his mighty form.  Many chest sprites remain the same, but many become ripped or torn while he is mighty.

It’s not necessary for them to keep making alternatives for Wolfgang beyond his own skins, but they’ve made a substantial amount already.

5 minutes ago, Toros said:

It is false that Wolfgang doesn’t have unique versions just for his mighty form.  Many chest sprites remain the same, but many become ripped or torn while he is mighty.

It’s not necessary for them to keep making alternatives for Wolfgang beyond his own skins, but they’ve made a substantial amount already.

this was in relation to a speculation considering Billy as the next character. It doesn't really have anything to do with Wolfgang himself...

I just used him as a reference for weird body shapes that affect sprites

1 hour ago, Toros said:

this was in relation to a speculation considering Billy as the next character. It doesn't really have anything to do with Wolfgang himself...

I just used him as a reference for weird body shapes that affect sprites

Lol, I never said he didn't have unique versions/sprites, I just said he doesn't have unique animations aside from his up/downgrade ones.

Of course he has unique sprites, he looks completely different.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Please forgive my ingame animation system ignorance, but isn't the werebeaver already a playable hunched character? Granted he has less animations, since he can't manipulate objects or equip most stuff, but its some groundwork isn't it?

Ty and I forgot about wilba too. 

Wilba even has more animations that Werebeaver, since she can craft and use her inventory. 

Hey great point dude. They can totally do Billy as in Gorge. Yay! 

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Wilba even has more animations that Werebeaver, since she can craft and use her inventory. 

Wilba uses normal character animations, just fyi (except for custom ones like swinging her arms and stuff)

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Please forgive my ingame animation system ignorance, but isn't the werebeaver already a playable hunched character? Granted he has less animations, since he can't manipulate objects or equip most stuff, but its some groundwork isn't it?

4 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Yeah but Werebeaver has hardly any animations in comparison to players. He has like three animation zips (each containing a few animations) while players have enough to make me not want to count them.

Plus the Werebeaver's build is different from Billy's anyway:

Spoiler

image.png.067275eaf62cc30f741e5a39b3158f58.png

EDIT: And let's not forget skins. Every single non-custom head skin would be incompatible. 

2 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Yeah but Werebeaver has hardly any animations in comparison to players. He has like three animation zips (each containing a few animations) while players have enough to make me not want to count them.

Plus the Werebeaver's build is different from Billy's anyway:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.067275eaf62cc30f741e5a39b3158f58.png

EDIT: And let's not mention skins. Every single non-custom head skin would be incompatible. 

You forgot to compare with Wilba tho.. 

She had more animations 

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

You forgot to compare with Wilba tho.. 

She had more animations 

That was addressed by @Canis

49 minutes ago, Canis said:

Wilba uses normal character animations, just fyi (except for custom ones like swinging her arms and stuff)

She uses the regular player build with some extra custom animations on top. 

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

6 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Okay, I know people already answered this, but here I am.

Werebeaver isn't really counted as a hunchback character, though, technically he does have a hunched back. 
He's got like, 5 total animations compared to the 100s players have, too.

Wilba has 3 unique animations, her swipes, transform, and revert. She is not a hunchback, and uses standard player animations. 
Using the inventory and crafting are player animations, there's no character in game that can support Billy's build, unfortunately. 

It'd be too expensive to make a new player build for hunchbacks, I fear. Billy would look weird as a standard character too, but Klei might just pull a fast one on us!

20 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

It'd be too expensive to make a new player build for hunchbacks, I fear. Billy would look weird as a standard character too, but Klei might just pull a fast one on us!

They can probably make two different designs for the hunchbeast and regular sized player to wear skins. I consider that Billy might be a new experiment for the devs to work on. Just like how each film from Pixar is a chance to try out a thing that was bothersome in the past.

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

They can probably make two different designs for the hunchbeast and regular sized player to wear skins. I consider that Billy might be a new experiment for the devs to work on. Just like how each film from Pixar is a chance to try out a thing that was bothersome in the past.

20 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Okay, I know people already answered this, but here I am.

Werebeaver isn't really counted as a hunchback character, though, technically he does have a hunched back. 
He's got like, 5 total animations compared to the 100s players have, too.

Wilba has 3 unique animations, her swipes, transform, and revert. She is not a hunchback, and uses standard player animations. 
Using the inventory and crafting are player animations, there's no character in game that can support Billy's build, unfortunately. 

im aware is a looooooooong shot...

but it would be lame if they changed him to a more humanoid body... 

-------------------------

does anyone has any better ideas on how the next character could look like?

Archived