Early O2 production: polluted water to O2 by sweeping.

So, knowing that a dupe can sweep a maximum amount of 150kg of liquid per tile:
N2qytev.png

I had the idea to use this to build an oxygen generation setup, that uses dupes to sweep pH2O from the ground into bottle, that offgaz PO2, then turned into O2 by deos:

MsoRzpm.png

hydrau sensor is set to below 125kg (not 150, because if it goes above that,  then your dupes will be unable to sweep it anymore^^)

The main advantage is the rapidity it takes to build up : here 11 tiles*~125kg = 1375kg bottled pH20 per sweep. so you can easely have more than 10 tons of it in a cycle.

Automation can be improved with a filter gate on the sensor, to avoid the dupe sweeping continuously while the room is beeing  filled with polluted water.

Also, you really don't need that much deos, just me^^

I tested it in multiple bases ingame, and it was my main O2 production for more than 200 cycles.

Tip: sweep order is more efficient like this, so it ditributes equally where the bottles are built up:

lVHpLl6.png

This can be used as a derivative without deos, for a puft ranch, as @SamLogan found.

inspirations:

@Neotuck's terrariums setup:

Spoiler

@Yunru's bottle droper:

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Very nice

Ever thought about using a plumber to empty the pipe directly for PW bottles?  

yeah, but I've the feeling it's slower, not sure.. and anyway, this one doesn't require any job!

1 minute ago, simonchvz said:

Clean simple setup, thanks.

The bottles don't sublimate if there's any fluid on the ground, right?  Correct to assume that you have to do some manual toggling to roughly control the rate of production?

thanks!

yes correct. I don't bother really, just pump and sweep a bunch of polluted water at first, until I see the oxygen produced is enough, and then I let it run like it is. Only need to check every few cycle to add some more polluted water to compensate.

I spent several iterations (I only named the "successful" ones) and several hours working on MOGOMs...

And never thought that dropping the bottle might not be necessary.

EDIT: Although on thinking about it, it still will be to get them to off-gas reliably.

I refined it a bit for you!

This design is... I forget the word, where you can just keep repeating it over and over adjacent to itself? Something to do with tiles?

The hydro sensor is, as always, set to "Above 150-(10xNumber of pipes between storage and vent (inclusive))" (in this case, 120), and the pressure plate is set to whatever value bottle you want (this one is set to 1t). The buffers are set to maximum.

image.thumb.png.03aa9810f87df97283e4fb8441466098.png

image.thumb.png.82f4309b951c6f57208abc8ddc3abe38.png

image.png

So I made this thing:

image.thumb.png.7094b31ea3d446530c00059f56e1a498.png

And it works perfectly. The drainage door opens once the bottle hits the specified weight, and the bottle is left to off-gas while retaining the sweep errand.

The problem is the pressure plate. It only goes up to 2t. Now a 2t bottle only produces around 80g/s of polluted oxygen, so...

Shelve that idea until we get pressure plates that can go higher.

On 4/22/2019 at 8:07 AM, Neotuck said:

Very nice

Ever thought about using a plumber to empty the pipe directly for PW bottles?  

I tried this with my last base. Its SLOW.. mostly because it takes like 15 seconds to empty a pipe segment, which is 10kg of liquid.  So to build up enough to off-gas, my dupe would spend many many cycles just emptying the pipe.

4 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I tried this with my last base. Its SLOW.. mostly because it takes like 15 seconds to empty a pipe segment, which is 10kg of liquid.  So to build up enough to off-gas, my dupe would spend many many cycles just emptying the pipe.

I don't know how you got 15 seconds per 10kg.

When I tried this my plumber was able to get about 700kg in one cycle

by your math that would have to take 1050 seconds and there are only 600 seconds in a cycle (minus downtime and sleep) 

Besides you would only need to do this ONCE!

once the PW is full use automation to control when the plumber can "top it off" as it off-gases which would depend on the off-gas rate of the bottle

plumb.thumb.png.7c8e7fc4e189e786297b902cf0c420d9.png

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

The 15 seconds was definitely hyperbole.  However, compare the following:

• 700kg in one cycle if you use a plumber.
  • 10kg/s mopping for 300 seconds (half a cycle with one dupe) nets 3000kg in a cycle, over 4 times as effective.  So that suggests 4 sec instead of 15 sec. 
  • If you let the dupe mop 40kg/s for 300 seconds, then you have 12000kg in a cycle.  This is simple to achieve with 4 liquid storage tanks all filled by a single liquid pump. You can service your O2 needs in almost no time with mopping. This can easily be increased to 100kg/s. 

Just now, mathmanican said:

The 15 seconds was definitely hyperbole.  However, compare the following:

• 700kg in one cycle if you use a plumber.
  • 10kg/s mopping for 300 seconds (half a cycle with one dupe) nets 3000kg in a cycle, over 4 times as effective.  So that suggests 4 sec instead of 15 sec. 
  • If you let the dupe mop 40kg/s for 300 seconds, then you have 12000kg in a cycle.  This is simple to achieve with 4 liquid storage tanks all filled by a single liquid pump. You can service your O2 needs in almost no time with mopping. This can easily be increased to 100kg/s. 

a fair point, but I'm looking for a way to fully automate for a "build and forget" system

and with the objective being Oxygen is there a need for 3000kg per cycle?

24 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

a fair point, but I'm looking for a way to fully automate for a "build and forget" system

and with the objective being Oxygen is there a need for 3000kg per cycle?

Precisely what the MOGOM is achieving, a build and forget system.  And if you can get 20000+kg/cycle, then your dupes can sweep once every say 50+ cycles for O2 needs, and focus on other stuff. One dupe, with a single mopping every 50 cycles, can dominate EVERY other oxygen production system possible. And that mopping command can be automated completely, so you never have to think about it again.

By the way, my computations above all were in your favor.  To be honest, it's probably closer to 6 sec to get liquid out.  Either way, thanks for verifying Kitten's comment.

Its SLOW

A plumber system is definitely much more space efficient. I do concede that 100%.  Lots of "right" ways to do oxygen production. :) 

4 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Precisely what the MOGOM is achieving, a build and forget system.  And if you can get 20000+kg/cycle, then your dupes can sweep once every say 50+ cycles for O2 needs, and focus on other stuff. Once dupe, with a single mopping every 50 cycles, can dominate EVERY other oxygen production system possible. And that mopping command can be automated completely, so you never have to think about it again.

when you run a colony for hundreds of cycles, perhaps thousands if your computer can handle late game FPS drop then having to remember to mop every 50 cycles can get tedious 

6 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Either way, thanks for verifying Kitten's comment.

Its SLOW

source.gif

clearly you missed my point, oxygen production doesn't need to be that fast (unless you have hundreds of dupes on your map)

I'm just looking for an alternative that requires zero player interaction, the MOGOM is a good build and I'm not claiming what I'm working on can be better

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

having to remember to mop every 50 cycles can get tedious

Answered. 

17 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

that mopping command can be automated completely, so you never have to think about it again.

Someone missed this part.  (Picard drops head again.)  Why spend 6 seconds doing something that can be done in 1 second, or 1/10 a second?  We move one.  Plumb on. I'll sweep on. After 1000 cycles, we'll both have idling dupes with nothing to do, and we both won't have thought about oxygen for several hundred cycles. :) 

OR. we could start a NERD FIGHT!  Always fun. :) Though you ate all the popcorn from the last one. 

2 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

OR. we could start a NERD FIGHT!  Always fun. :) Though you ate all the popcorn from the last one. 

hehe well the whole thing is moot

turns out the pressure plate is bugged (just realized a min ago) so my idea wouldn't have worked anyways

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

turns out the pressure plate is bugged

Some would say the "persisting" mop command is bugged as well, but currently I just call it an exploit. Perhaps the persisting plumb command is a bug too, but for now a nice exploit. Is off gassing PO2 an exploit?  Definitely, the way I'm using it with 20000+kg bottled in less than a single cycle.

Of course, I would not classify myself as a purist who avoids exploits. I might be the exact opposite. 

Just now, mathmanican said:

Some would say the "persisting" mop command is bugged as well, but currently I just call it an exploit. Perhaps the persisting plumb command is a bug too, but for now a nice exploit. Is off gassing PO2 an exploit?  Definitely, the way I'm using it with 20000+kg bottled in less than a single cycle.

Of course, I would not classify myself as a purist who avoid exploits. I might be the exact opposite. 

the bug I found is that pressure plates don't registered "weight loss" from off-gassing

pllum.thumb.png.e44365b31bed91601fe3e06775f98955.png

12 hours ago, Neotuck said:

My apologies. I didn't actually time it.  I was making a guess.  More accurately, I should have responded like @mathmanican stating that "compared to other methods, emptying pipes is extremely slow.

The method I currently like is to fill liquid reservoirs, then when I need more bottles, deconstruct the reservoir and rebuild it.

11 hours ago, Neotuck said:

the bug I found is that pressure plates don't registered "weight loss" from off-gassing

I never had that problem.  Of course, I also had clay from my deoderizers falling on my plates which was then auto-swept off.  Maybe they were forcing the plate to recalculate the weight on the pad.

Spoiler

image.png.869864e6cc395dc9023673b2c36343d4.png

Anyway, the problem I ran into was that one plumber couldn't fill bottles enough keep up with the off-gassing sufficient to supply oxygen for 9 dupes.  I think he topped out around 7 dupes.  When I manually added more bottles such that every spot held 2000kg of polluted water, this chamber produced enough O2 for 9 dupes (with a decent amount extra), so the concept was good.  A single plumber just couldn't keep up.

When I rebuilt the chamber with four liquid reservoirs, it was very easy for 1 dupe to maintain enough bottled PO2 to provide oxygen for 9 dupes.

Archived