I Fear to explore now :(

I agree with the OP 100%, the wolf mechanic discourages exploration by threatening to catch the player with their pants down whenever they stray too far from camp. It can take several days to manage a base - collecting food, crafting materials, healing items, etc., and by the time I'm done and ready to explore, wolves are right around the corner. As the days increase so does the amount of wolves, which makes me want to camp at base more and more. Now I need tooth traps and bee bombs to survive. I want to explore big chunks of land and see more of the game's content, but the game discourages that for me.I would LOVE to see wolves removed as a "every x amount of days" thing and see them put in as standard enemies, maybe in packs of 3-5 that are highly aggressive and hide in woods or plains. They could hunt beefalo, rabbits, etc., basically make the environment seem more alive. Fire wolves would be a problem though, they'd burn down so many forests. Maybe make fire wolves part of some other device, idk.

Remember my Story about the Fire Staff? Those were the ONLY hounds I saw, in that whole play-through. I was on Default-Plus, so Hounds were set to more, automatically. Bad Luck for you, I guess? The Spiders always kill me, or have a part in it, at least.

Quoted from the wiki:"The first hound attack is on day 6 to 10, and the second attack is on day 16 to 20. Afterward hounds will attack more often, eventually every 3 to 8 days, which makes exploration dangerous. Using the Telepotato to switch world will reset the days."

While survival is all well and good, this game has the potential to be much more with a setting of old science meets mysticism with the subject matter. Exploration will be the key to continuing this game, and it should be emphasized as one of the reasons this game surpasses other games of a similar survival sandbox nature.Random Hound attacks go up against this progression in its current state since we have a handful of situational ways of defeating them which may happen despite careful planning. While it is a great survivor type game, the suspense and mystery should and can easily be fleshed out adding to an immensely satisfying and unique gameplay.I also hope to see more that gets transferred over between worlds. Currently there's little reason to leave behind 90% of your hard work to travel somewhere new to start over. While this transition will make it easier than the first, there has to be a good reason to go: either you get to keep much of what you worked so hard to produce, or that the fruits of progressing outweigh the labors that followed.

http-~~-//youtu.be/AlUEEwxmsAc

Wėll I don't have a problem with exploring around day 100 but I do have a problem with exploring at nightDon't see why hounds are so tough, just kite them as they come
didn't watch it entirely, but nice video - sorry about the death!what software do you use to record video?

Hounds.Before, Hounds seemed okay to me, I could just lay down some monster meat then kill a group of hounds. Now, I'll get mauled if I'm....1. Not near my base with a ton of tooth traps.2.Not near a pig village3.Not near a beefalo herd.4. Not near a swamp.Now how can I explore when I have the paranoia that the new clever hounds will come and maul me any day now after day 3 of the most recent hound attack? All it does is encourage me to turtle in my base -_-.How do you guys deal with hounds? Do you just use armor and a pig helmet? That doesn't work for me, day 102 and I died with 100% durability on both along with a tentacle spike. I was out exploring my map, then got surprised how much tougher the hounds were, then realized all character damage has been nerfed.I think this is a bit ridiculous :(

LOL .. you can use Test tools mods by clockwork .. press F1 , then press Ctrl + G .. that's god mod ! you'll never dies

Hounds do need a nerf. Im fine without the meat-priority part, but I liked it when you could 3-shot them instead of four shots. Honestly, since the weapon & armor nerfs in the insanity update (?), hounds scare me more than ever.

Currently what works for me is having the walking cane so I can outrun hounds. I use a combination of tooth traps and a pig village I created to take care of hounds (the tooth traps normally gets it done). I'm on day 200 and just made a big move to a Savannah biome with a large amount of beefalo and brought a whole bunch of things in my inventory, piggy backpack, and chester (plus some precreated structures). I did it on the day hounds are scheduled to attack (every other day in +100 days), and I planned ahead. It's about planning ahead, you need to know when they might strike. After they strike is the best time to get anything done, be it late exploring or boss killing.

I dislike the fact that the devs intended to be harder and harder after X days. Without pigs or traps i've made it to day 120 but after that i learned. Pigs and only pigs. Every week past the second put 3 more houses untill they become an army. But that just it. The only danger is the hounds and after that there is nothing. I almost feel like they are that dangerous later so that you can't find out that the game is shallow in sandbox. And it is I am sorry to say... You could tweak some resources to make it harder but that's just an atrtifficial way to increase your playtime. If you beat Adventure than it's almost pointless to continue. At least for me is. And as much as exploring goes... there isn't anything interesting to find. No seriously is there? A swamp, the walrus camp or a free egg form a tallbird? It feels so much that hounds are meant to be your natural life ENDER so that you can't see everything and realise that the world is not as rich and intricate as you expected.

I dislike the fact that the devs intended to be harder and harder after X days. Without pigs or traps i've made it to day 120 but after that i learned. Pigs and only pigs. Every week past the second put 3 more houses untill they become an army. But that just it. The only danger is the hounds and after that there is nothing. I almost feel like they are that dangerous later so that you can't find out that the game is shallow in sandbox. And it is I am sorry to say... You could tweak some resources to make it harder but that's just an atrtifficial way to increase your playtime. If you beat Adventure than it's almost pointless to continue. At least for me is. And as much as exploring goes... there isn't anything interesting to find. No seriously is there? A swamp, the walrus camp or a free egg form a tallbird? It feels so much that hounds are meant to be your natural life ENDER so that you can't see everything and realise that the world is not as rich and intricate as you expected.

I agree with you, I don't like the "hounds are meant to kill you eventually" aspect of the game. Since there's a lot of development ahead, I really hope they add more content to make the world much richer and funner to explore. I think the problem is essentially this: it's designed to be a survival game, but we want it to be more of an adventure/survival game. The question is will they expand to make it more adventurey or keep the emphasis on "we want you to die, the game is just seeing how long you can put it off." I really hope the former... I feel like this game and its engine could add SO much content and make a really interesting world.But really... how much can they do or tweak? They promised 6 months of additional development but something tells me the adventure/survival game I want would require them making Don't Starve 2.

I've played games with hounds turned to "less" and it gets kinda boring, they add an aspect of random terror the treeguard doesn't.Then again it is annoying having to always build bases near beefaloes and pig towns. If there was a slightly longer warning I think it would be less off an issue, but I guess that is part of the fun.

To me, in the endgame, the game is not "Don't Starve", it's more like "Don't die" Endgame- where a hound attack of 12 could happen 3 days or later after day 100 ._.

It sounds like instead of adapting to the fighting style of the game (the most efficient way is hit and run or kiting through traps) you want the game to fit your preferred fighting style (stand and swing and hope your hp/armor outlasts your enemy's). Your preferred style works until late game when you need to adopt the most efficient method in order to survive. While it is not the easiest, 'endgame' is supposed to be more work than 'early game' or 'mid game' which it is. If you don't like the hound attacks, there are custom options for reducing or removing them completely. =DAlso: The quote I added above suggests to me that you wish for the game's largest threat to be starvation throughout, even up to the triple digit days where you are currently. I don't know if you've thought this through, but a game that was hinging entirely on finding food the whole way through would not hold my interest for the amount of time it has (100 days x 8 mins a day = 800 mins or 13 hours and 20 mins of playtime). I personally would not find managing hunger as the primary threat to my game continuing for 13 hours.TLDR: The hounds as 'endgame' aren't so bad, 'endgame' should be more work then earlier parts of the game. Adapt to the best methods to dispatch the hounds or else use the custom options to remove them from your game.

Hounds.Before, Hounds seemed okay to me, I could just lay down some monster meat then kill a group of hounds. Now, I'll get mauled if I'm....1. Not near my base with a ton of tooth traps.2.Not near a pig village3.Not near a beefalo herd.4. Not near a swamp.Now how can I explore when I have the paranoia that the new clever hounds will come and maul me any day now after day 3 of the most recent hound attack? All it does is encourage me to turtle in my base -_-.How do you guys deal with hounds? Do you just use armor and a pig helmet? That doesn't work for me, day 102 and I died with 100% durability on both along with a tentacle spike. I was out exploring my map, then got surprised how much tougher the hounds were, then realized all character damage has been nerfed.I think this is a bit ridiculous :(

Simple solution. Before you generate a world go into settings and set hounds to none, problems solved no hounds in your game.