I Fear to explore now :(

Hounds.Before, Hounds seemed okay to me, I could just lay down some monster meat then kill a group of hounds. Now, I'll get mauled if I'm....1. Not near my base with a ton of tooth traps.2.Not near a pig village3.Not near a beefalo herd.4. Not near a swamp.Now how can I explore when I have the paranoia that the new clever hounds will come and maul me any day now after day 3 of the most recent hound attack? All it does is encourage me to turtle in my base -_-.How do you guys deal with hounds? Do you just use armor and a pig helmet? That doesn't work for me, day 102 and I died with 100% durability on both along with a tentacle spike. I was out exploring my map, then got surprised how much tougher the hounds were, then realized all character damage has been nerfed.I think this is a bit ridiculous :(

And now the end game is harder late game because you have to implement actual strategies rather than brute forcing it.But i see watcha mean, update is much more challenging, though i think they've totally fleshed out the combat especially with the pigs who now try to kite YOU.

Well, I can't say about hound atacks abover day 100 because I'm only day 45 with my new map, but instead of standing still and hiting them, I just avoided their atacks like every other mob. Got a few hits, but my armor didn't break.And the ice hounds seems to be easier than the normal ones, so that helps a bit.

[MENTION=8336]CrazyGamerzPC[/MENTION]Yeah i also think the hounds army spam is not fun at all and make the game not about starving but (how long will you survive to the hounds). I hate that spam of +10 of them, sometime 12... i mean... ... anyway... and they always know exactly where you are so i call that cheating on me.

Try bee-mines. The do wonders against tons of hounds. :D And with hives in your base they are easy to mass produce them.

And now the end game is harder late game because you have to implement actual strategies rather than brute forcing it.But i see watcha mean, update is much more challenging, though i think they've totally fleshed out the combat especially with the pigs who now try to kite YOU.

But the endgame shouldn't be as impossible as this. Hounds near endgame discourage exploring and encourage turtling near a beefalos place, a pig village, swamp, or your own base..... And that is no fun nor is it really fair. :( I think hounds were better and more balanced in the last update.

Try bee-mines. The do wonders against tons of hounds. :D And with hives in your base they are easy to mass produce them.

You miss my point, I want to explore, not turtle in my base with my tooth traps and beeboxes and bee mines, or stay in a pig village or beefalo herd. That's no fun :(

[MENTION=8336]CrazyGamerzPC[/MENTION]Yeah i also think the hounds army spam is not fun at all and make the game not about starving but (how long will you survive to the hounds). I hate that spam of +10 of them, sometime 12... i mean... ... anyway... and they always know exactly where you are so i call that cheating on me.

Oh, come on, Hounds are easy. If you don't think you can take them on, which with kiting (or without) is easy. (Just hit them!) Seriously if you are too afraid to do that, lead them to Swamps and/or Beefalo. Easy.

But the endgame shouldn't be as impossible as this. Hounds near endgame discourage exploring and encourage turtling near a beefalos place, a pig village, swamp, or your own base..... And that is no fun nor is it really fair. :( I think hounds were better and more balanced in the last update. You miss my point, I want to explore, not turtle in my base with my tooth traps and beeboxes and bee mines, or stay in a pig village or beefalo herd. That's no fun :(

Equip Logsuit, equip Football Helmet, equip Weapon of choice. Just hit them. They only take four hits. Single them out too, run till only one chases you. Then you can take on each individually, making it easier. And Hounds can't hit you if you keep running. If you have Tentacles/Bees/Pigs/Beefalo/Hound Killing Pit nearby, make use of it! Hounds are easy, just be confident.

Equip Logsuit, equip Football Helmet, equip Weapon of choice. Just hit them. They only take four hits. Single them out too, run till only one chases you. Then you can take on each individually, making it easier. And Hounds can't hit you if you keep running. If you have Tentacles/Bees/Pigs/Beefalo/Hound Killing Pit nearby, make use of it! Hounds are easy, just be confident.

do the hounds give up on chasing you?

Traps and walls, I've always done this. I never liked the semi-exploit of dropping monster meat and killing them while they couldn't fight back.I've always built an arena with walls, traps at the entrances and bee mines.Anyone know if beemines will aggro bees from hives? If so you can build those at your arena as well.

I died trying to kite 12 hounds while starving, with 100% durability on a pig helmet and logsuit.

If Im out exploring, odds are I'm far away from any help such as a swamp, pigs, tentacles, etc. I might get lucky and find a random beefalo herd, a swamp, or another pig village, but that's situational at the most ._.

Running around all day and night trying to kite 12 hounds isn't my idea of adventuring and exploring....

Sure I had a meat effigy, but now I have to go all the way back to the site I died, try to kite them again with a newly equipped armor and weapon, and if I fail, run all the way back to my base and kill them with a bee mine and base. Then I got to run all the way back to the site I died and pickup my stuff, and either continue exploring or go back to my base. At that point, I'm probably going to be a bit annoyed by doing all of that busy work and not actually experiencing the Don't Starve exploration I once knew before the update ._.

To me, in the endgame, the game is not "Don't Starve", it's more like "Don't die" Endgame- where a hound attack of 12 could happen 3 days or later after day 100 ._.

- - - Updated - - -

Traps and walls, I've always done this. I never liked the semi-exploit of dropping monster meat and killing them while they couldn't fight back.

I've always built an arena with walls, traps at the entrances and bee mines.

Anyone know if beemines will aggro bees from hives? If so you can build those at your arena as well.

You miss my point, I want to explore, not turtle in my base with my tooth traps and beeboxes *some sort of arena* and bee mines, or stay in a pig village or beefalo herd. That's no fun

No one is making you stay for day 100+, if you are still alive you can use the wooden thing to go in another island.

This. Kevin has said on a number of occasions that anything past Day 100 is supposed to be near-impossible to keep on surviving in; Day 200+ is not supposed to happen at all. You're supposed to get a move on and escape to a new world long before Day 100 (which is what, 2-3 full seasons now? The equivalent of a couple of years?) rears its ugly head.Even if you're playing in Sandbox Mode, if the monsters didn't get tougher as time went on, things would be become a tedious, repetitive grind - like an unmodded game of Minecraft with no building would be.

No one is making you stay for day 100+, if you are still alive you can use the wooden thing to go in another island.

I believe leaving your world doesn't reset the hounds #s but I'm not sure. Also being forced to leave your world because of a regular ingame cycles mechanic of 12 hounds, leaving your precious base that you built, crafted together, and survived in for 100 days on your 2nd try? That doesn't seem so fair....atleast I think.

But after the day you killed them you can go exploring. They always have their cycle. I believe 7 days (?) And that is a lot of time to explore the world and set up a new base.

I believe there cycle is every 3 days, afterward 3 days hounds can show up anytime.

If you can't finish the fight just leave!

That's not necessarily a good idea, that only allows hounds to pack up overtime and result in severe consequences if not dealt with soon enough.

You may be in danger of thinking that how the game was played months ago (with only the early game fleshed out) is how it's meant to be played now (with mid and endgame content). I figure at the point of 100 days, Don't Starve is basically Jumanji, where to even survive you need to know every threat there is and have your strategies and materials prepared.Try to invent some new tactics for the hounds, like only carrying a torch, a stack of meat, and as many bee mines as you can when you explore. This game is good enough that you should work around the game not give up if your strategy fails.

I died trying to kite 12 hounds while starving, with 100% durability on a pig helmet and logsuit.

If Im out exploring, odds are I'm far away from any help such as a swamp, pigs, tentacles, etc. I might get lucky and find a random beefalo herd, a swamp, or another pig village, but that's situational at the most ._.

Running around all day and night trying to kite 12 hounds isn't my idea of adventuring and exploring....

Sure I had a meat effigy, but now I have to go all the way back to the site I died, try to kite them again with a newly equipped armor and weapon, and if I fail, run all the way back to my base and kill them with a bee mine and base. Then I got to run all the way back to the site I died and pickup my stuff, and either continue exploring or go back to my base. At that point, I'm probably going to be a bit annoyed by doing all of that busy work and not actually experiencing the Don't Starve exploration I once knew before the update ._.

To me, in the endgame, the game is not "Don't Starve", it's more like "Don't die" Endgame- where a hound attack of 12 could happen 3 days or later after day 100 ._.

- - - Updated - - -

You miss my point, I want to explore, not turtle in my base with my tooth traps and beeboxes *some sort of arena* and bee mines, or stay in a pig village or beefalo herd. That's no fun

How do you think we get chance to explore. Anyway, once you've got it sussed, you prepare for hounds, by the fact their attacks are predictable.

At least HOUNDS are not really stupid anymore, unlike us we don't just eat meat instead of the subject we are chasing right?That'll be dumb. This game has AI so mobs don't become dumb like our ancestors, The Cavemen.Nerfed Player Damage? Don't Starve Developers, WHYYWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYWHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

10 planks, 10 flint, 40 bees.Takes 4 slots of your inventory.Never travel without it.These 10 bee mines will take care of 3 hound waves. Use 3 at a time.Save space for the free meat.

Seemed pretty effective against 7 hounds *5 got kited and killed, then I got mauled and respawned by an effigy*, they are pretty cheap to make in endgame, thanks!Although I swear, if Klei nerfs bees and beemines I'm so gonna rage quit ._.

I'm not suggesting you stay in your base, once you have played a while the hound attacks are fairly predictable as people here have already said. You just have an area ready to deal with them when they come. I pretty much explore all the time, usually in a pattern, like 1 day in/near my base, 3 days exploring.