Wagstaff's blurr problem

1 minute ago, Bluegeist said:

Players shouldn't have to risk their health to play a game. This is not a matter of playing the game correctly. No matter how skilled you are sometimes you will have to be w/o the goggles. Devs should make blur an option

Exactly , like even starting the game up the short amount of blurr gave me a headache, a very sharp one

20 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

I have only played with him with his goggles but that sill doesn't help the fact that the toxic jungle is nigh impossible without the mask, and that he takes damage from the hay fever foods, so it's not that effective , and even starting up the game as him, as he starts with goggles off, gives me a headache

i already asked for a special mask for him in here in the suggestions... just because he needs ONE change doesn't mean we have to change the whole character

10 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

Nettle rolls should be alright with him, but i agree that he needs a gas mask-like item 

check in suggestions for my thread to get a gas mask

2 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

i already asked for a special mask for him in here in the suggestions... just because he needs ONE change doesn't mean he have to change the whole character

check in suggestions for my thread to get a gas mask

I've seen that suggestion already

12 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Players shouldn't have to risk their health to play a game. This is not a matter of playing the game correctly. No matter how skilled you are sometimes you will have to be w/o the goggles. Devs should make blur an option

absolutely... an OPTION

but not completely change it for all people

this could work perfectly as a filter option... like Wig Umlauts

Just now, Drakolyn said:

I thought I specified that yeah an option like the umalauts would be great

its a win win really, people who like t can keep it , people who don't don't have to 

u didn't.. that's why there was a bit of confusion around what you are asking...

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

u didn't.. that's why there was a bit of confusion around what you are asking...

My mistake! I'm not really good at getting my thoughts across, but I'm glad that it's clear now

1 minute ago, Drakolyn said:

My mistake! I'm not really good at getting my thoughts across, but I'm glad that it's clear now

maybe you could change that in OP to avoid further confusion pls... we had to go to page 2 to get to that conclusion...

4 hours ago, Drakolyn said:

and pig skin can be hard to get in certain situations , if you aren't prepped for combat and the bat wave won't be for awhile

Pigskin is extremely easy to get early game.  Around mant hills you should find four pig heads on sticks.  smash with hammer = 2 twigs and 2 pig skins each.  He comes with goggles, pop them on immediately and you can craft the hammer before you build the science machine.  

2 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

This is an absolutely absurd statement to make.

No one “needs” to play don’t starve at all.  If Drakolyn’s health problems make them so absurdly sensitive to headaches I’m not sure it’s safe for them to be play games at all.

If we’re expecting devs to spend time to make an option for one person, then we’re saying that that one person who is hypersensitive is more important the the rest of everyone who could benefit from the dev time instead.

This is absolutely the sort of thing mods solve and without having to impede devs working on actual features.

Do you not care about blind people who want to play Don’t Starve?  Should the devs not be focusing on a gamemode where you can play the entire game while completely blind?

Devs could, but in terms of time invested vs how much it benefits the players as a whole, changing Wagstaff’s vision is probably one of the worst returns on investment.

Just wait a few days until a modder removes the blurry vision all together.

Just now, Toros said:

No one “needs” to play don’t starve at all.  If Drakolyn’s health problems make them so absurdly sensitive to headaches I’m not sure it’s safe for them to be play games at all.

If we’re expecting devs to spend time to make an option for one person, then we’re saying that that one person who is hypersensitive is more important the the rest of everyone who could benefit from the dev time instead.

This is absolutely the sort of thing mods solve and without having to impede devs working on actual features.

Do you not care about blind people who want to play Don’t Starve?  Should the devs not be focusing on a gamemode where you can play the entire game while completely blind?

Devs could, but in terms of time invested vs how much it benefits the players as a whole, changing Wagstaff’s vision is probably one of the worst returns on investment.

most of the people talking about this issue.. or better said.. requesting this.. agreed they want an option to turn it off in-game..

pretty reasonable and everybody is happy

@Drakolyn could you pls edit first post asking for a FILTER OPTION to avoid confusing more people who are gonna read the post for the first time? ty so much

2 minutes ago, Toros said:

It is foolish to assume Drakolyn is the only person who may be affected by this. Accessibility options are one of the most important parts of a developer's work and should be prioritized. Allowing the blur to be turned off (not completely removed mind you) will only allow more people to play the game comfortably. That seems like a good investment to me. :wilson_tranquil:

Also, can't depend on mods. Don't forget about console players.

3 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

It is foolish to assume Drakolyn is the only person who may be affected by this. Accessibility options are one of the most important parts of a developer's work and should be prioritized. Allowing the blur to be turned off (not completely removed mind you) will only allow more people to play the game comfortably. That seems like a good investment to me. :wilson_tranquil:

Also, can't depend on mods. Don't forget about console players.

Accessibility options are mandatory for essential services, and thoughtful and generous when applied to other things.

I can assure you that additional sales from people with disabilities as a result will not cover the cost of the dev time required.

I know that this game is very popular with the tumblr crowd who truly believe that one person’s discomfort no matter how trivial is essential.  But that isn’t reality.

It would be very kind of Klei to waste dev time so a near zero number of players can utilize a particular option for people with disabilities, but they don’t owe you and this problem is inconsequential.

There are people who are severely arachnophobic, and mods that remove or reskin spiders from Skyrim.  I don’t think there’s any evidence to suggest having a “no spiders” option would’ve been a good use of dev time.

There’s a wonderful history of pc (not console) devs giving options for players with disabilities but it’s not owed and it’s not actually important in either a business or ethical sense.

Just now, Toros said:

Accessibility options are mandatory for essential services, and thoughtful and generous when applied to other things.

I can assure you that additional sales from people with disabilities as a result will not cover the cost of the dev time required.

I know that this game is very popular with the tumblr crowd who truly believe that one person’s discomfort no matter how trivial is essential.  But that isn’t reality.

It would be very kind of Klei to waste dev time so a near zero number of players can utilize a particular option for people with disabilities, but they don’t owe you and this problem is inconsequential.

There are people who are severely arachnophobic, and mods that remove or reskin spiders from Skyrim.  I don’t think there’s any evidence to suggest having a “no spiders” option would’ve been a good use of dev time.

There’s a wonderful history of pc (not console) devs giving options for players with disabilities but it’s not owed and it’s not actually important in either a business or ethical sense.

I think you are making a huge deal out of this... 

if they have their filter they can play the game.. is not gonna affect you... 

I don't think this is gonna be as hard as u think it is... probs a no brainier for the devs

5 minutes ago, Toros said:

I can't believe it, we were just destroyed via facts and logic, our safe spaces were absolutely shattered, and every liberal in the vicinity was instantly liberated. Facts truly do not care about our feelings.

4 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think you are making a huge deal out of this... 

if they have their filter they can play the game.. is not gonna affect you... 

I don't think this is gonna be as hard as u think it is... probs a no brainier for the devs

It’s not about difficulty.

The attitudes being displayed are “the discomfort of a few outweighs benefits to the many”.  I think this holds true where wheelchair ramps are considered, and not when it comes to playing one character in one game for a handful of people.

I personally could’ve made a mod that simply disabled the filter, probably in less time than I wrote the last few posts.

I’m not against Klei making the change, that would be great of them.

I’m against the entire concept of this being a pressing problem, or important in any reasonable perspective.

@Sunset Skye thank you for your non-substantive meme post.  It’s pretty inaccurate as I’m strongly liberal (women’s rights, minority rights, religious tolerance, treason with Russia being wrong) on most issues.  

But if someone says they’re uncomfortable playing lego avengers and have panic attacks because they’re Loki-kin and he’s being portrayed as a villian, I’m going to call that nonsense.

15 minutes ago, Toros said:

This isn't even remotely the same to idiot tumblrinas getting triggered. This is people getting migraines.

And it wouldn't even be a mandatory change, it would be an option that can be turned on or off.

Meaning it probably wouldn't even affect you.

Who hurt you?

3 minutes ago, Toros said:

I personally could’ve made a mod that simply disabled the filter, probably in less time than I wrote the last few posts.

But what about the console players???????

3 minutes ago, Toros said:

minority rights

4 minutes ago, Toros said:

The attitudes being displayed are “the discomfort of a few outweighs benefits to the many”

This doesn't make sense how are you for minority rights and say that??

3 minutes ago, SkylordElberich said:

This isn't even remotely the same to idiot tumblrinas getting triggered. This is people getting migraines.

And it wouldn't even be a mandatory change, it would be an option that can be turned on or off.

Meaning it probably wouldn't even affect you.

Who hurt you?

To be more precise, it’s one person who *claims* that the filter gives them migraines near instantly.  I think that’s possible but I’m not treating it as fact.

I’m unaffected either way, as seeing blurry images doesn’t cause me to malfunction (which would be tragic, because I’m nearsighted without glasses or contacts so my world is briefly blurry before bed and after waking up.)

1 minute ago, Bluegeist said:

But what about the console players???????

What about them?

Console players get the short end of the stick in pretty much every way imaginable already.  They get double charged for internet, they get more expensive prices for games and massive issues with backward compatibility, they have way more exclusives they can’t access and towards the end of a console’s lifespan get graphical and performance  downgrades as developers work around aging hardware.

My advice for them would be to buy a PC and stop paying twice for internet.

11 minutes ago, Toros said:

What about them?

Console players get the short end of the stick in pretty much every way imaginable already.  They get double charged for internet, they get more expensive prices for games and massive issues with backward compatibility, they have way more exclusives they can’t access and towards the end of a console’s lifespan get graphical and performance  downgrades as developers work around aging hardware.

My advice for them would be to buy a PC and stop paying twice for internet.

Klei actually made improvements to developing DST on console. Maybe they are willing to invest in accessibility features, if they are willing to invest in console.

Spoiler
On 1/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Bigfoot said:

While we enjoyed the events and are happy with the result, there were some drawbacks: 

• They took WAY longer to make than we expected, so we weren’t able to make as much content as we wanted, and it left little time to do things like bug fixes and Quality of Life updates for the base game.
  • Because we run the servers for these events, we also incurred the cost of these servers. Those of you who have been here a while know that Don’t Starve was not architected to be a multiplayer game, so running them on our servers was extremely inefficient. In short, even though we loved that everyone came to play, the item sales were only barely covering the costs of the servers.
  • We found that it was exceedingly difficult for us to run these events on console and as such underserved our console players.

Console Development
We are working hard on keeping the console versions of the game up to date. Specifically, we are investing in technology to allow us to more quickly update the game without going through lengthy certification on every small change, and we've also added more staff to work exclusively on updating the console versions.

We're happy to say that the next update for the Year of the Pig King event will launch within 2 days of the PC version.

3 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Klei actually made improvements to developing DST on console. Maybe they are willing to invest in accessibility features, if they are willing to invest in console.

Reveal hidden contents

It makes sense to invest in console if they’re getting a reasonable return on their investment.  Keeping console versions semi up to date keeps them in that market, accessibility options rarely give fiscal return.

My point wasn’t that Klei isn’t trying to do right by console players, but that a lack of accessibility options is spit in a rainstorm in terms of them being treated badly.

Archived