Wagstaff's blurr problem

Is it just me or does wagstaff's blurr effect give awful headaches 

i would really love to play as him but I get throbbing headaches seeing the blurr for even a little bit , 

I fear it could give me migraines if I had to look at it for an extended time

which makes me sad as he seems like an interesting character who'd id love to play.

this part of this character disappoints me as it's not very accessible to certian groups of people , and makes the game painful to play :(

45 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

i would really love to play as him but I get throbbing headaches seeing the blurr for even a little bit , 

which makes me sad as he seems like an interesting character who'd id love to play.

this part of this character disappoints me as it's not very accessible to certian groups of people , and makes the game painful to play :(

I mean, if they didn't add that, he wouldn't have a real downside.

I was worried about this when I learned about this aspect of Wagstaff. This is a significant accessibility issue, and I hope Klei addresses it.

4 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

True, but isolating certain players who literally can't play him without serious discomfort is not a good thing. People's health and comfort should always take precedent.

48 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

I haven't gotten a chance to play him yet, but I'm disappointed that there's yet another mechanic that causes physical pain while playing. I used to have the same problem with the insanity ambience. I think the best we can hope for is a fix from a modder. @CarlZalph has an overlay disabler mod up, I'd keep an eye on it. He also ported the insanity ambience disabler over to DS, for which I am eternally gratefulll.

5 minutes ago, JosePapp said:

What's the point of replying with something like this? This isn't about balance, this is about a mechanic causing headaches. No character's downside should be "causes headaches and nausea IRL." 

7 hours ago, Ressayez said:

I haven't gotten a chance to play him yet, but I'm disappointed that there's yet another mechanic that causes physical pain while playing. I used to have the same problem with the insanity ambience. I think the best we can hope for is a fix from a modder. @CarlZalph has an overlay disabler mod up, I'd keep an eye on it. He also ported the insanity ambience disabler over to DS, for which I am eternally gratefulll.

What's the point of replying with something like this? This isn't about balance, this is about a mechanic causing headaches. No character's downside should be "causes headaches and nausea IRL." 

Pls play him first before criticizing him  ...

8 hours ago, Drakolyn said:

tbh he is NOT supposed to be played without goggles at all.. he spawns with them and they are really ez to craft...

this is a non issue really.. he's got googles for everything possible.-... one for dark environments, one for normal light.. one that works as a helmet...

I think this is a bit unfounded

if you are used to other mechanics and playing all blurred all the time with a football helmet .. I guess you can get a migraine.. but he kinda forces you to play differently by changing your priorities for head gear and body armor..

he has reduced vision as a disabling feature.. that is part of his character..

He dosent have goggles for hay fever as far as I know,

and pig skin can be hard to get in certain situations , if you aren't prepped for combat and the bat wave won't be for awhile

so if you're without goggles for even a tiny amount of time the pain can be immense and this is a disappointing acessability issue

Personally I think shuffling the sprites of nearby objects , making them look like diffrent objects and perhaps making the map partially blacked out would have been a better option

27 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

and pig skin can be hard to get in certain situations , if you aren't prepped for combat and the bat wave won't be for awhile

Then you can just quickly make a science machine, prototype a cut stone and make visor, which only loses durability by getting hit 

5 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

Then you can just quickly make a science machine, prototype a cut stone and make visor, which only loses durability by getting hit 

The visor still makes part of the vision blurry as i understand ,

and you'd still need pigskin to make it

54 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

He dosent have goggles for hay fever as far as I know,

this is a legit concern, then we should ask the devs to get an alternative goggles

however.. you don't need that cuz u can mitigate hay fever with 

- Seed Pods latest?cb=20181017151524: cooked are even better

- Nettles: 50?cb=20181111180624latest?cb=20181017152929

Only real problem I see is the toxic jungle... I think that the devs can come up with new googles to replace the toxic mask

In the jungle near the mants near water, there are 4 pig heads.. if you hammer them each drops 2 pig skins.. that's 8 pig skins for a start plus the ones you get from pig guards and bats..

tbh quite honest.. I don't thin pig skin is an issue at all in the game.. 

so if you're without goggles for even a tiny amount of time the pain can be immense and this is a disappointing acessability issue

I cannot discredit your pain in any shape of form, but the game offers alternatives to never ever have to be without goggles..

I'm also very sensitive to loud sounds and weird visual effects

compare with insanity sounds for instance... there is no alternative to mute them at all unless you use a mod or don't use ambient/fx sounds.. which is a big no no cuz you loose so much information about the game

Personally I think shuffling the sprites of nearby objects , making them look like diffrent objects and perhaps making the map partially blacked out would have been a better option

I totally disagree with blacking out the map.. that would be terrible... that would affect gameplay so much for the rest of the users

I think it's a bit sad if Klei decided top change it cuz if you think about it he is like an old grandpa.. you get experience a little bit how does it feel to struggle with vision... in a videogame..

anyways.. 

could you pls try and play with with googles all the time and come back to us?? I fear you haven't played him enough...

18 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

visor doesn't make vision blurry that's not true.. 

it only reduces RANGE of vision

20190421145737_1.thumb.jpg.733d0d65b66fb0cbde15795850eca633.jpg

compare here with normal goggles

20190421145835_1.thumb.jpg.55667befdda0cd42bfe158fd58b1c905.jpg

16 minutes ago, Drakolyn said:

No it doesn't, it just covers a part of the screen

And you start with googles so you can use them to make visor 

11 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

there is an armor you can use to mitigate fog too

latest?cb=20181016154923 Weevole Mantle.. it only gives 60% armor but it can work very well with his visors or any of this head gear for that matter

A Weevole Mantle isn't like a pith hat or cowl. It will let you move at a normal speed if it's the only thing you're wearing, but it won't stop head items from slowing you down.
Either way, I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing this up. Fog and hay fever are two completely different things, and it's true that Wagstaff has to use other methods of hay fever protection if you don't want blurry vision.

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

A Weevole Mantle isn't like a pith hat or cowl. It will let you move at a normal speed if it's the only thing you're wearing, but it won't stop head items from slowing you down.
Either way, I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing this up. Fog and hay fever are two completely different things, and it's true that Wagstaff has to use other methods of hay fever protection if you don't want blurry vision.

first all.. a disclaimer here... I mixed up fog with hay fever.. I already updated it that part.. sorry

second of all... 

all his goggles don't get affected by fog, they don't slow you down...

so the weevole armor is perfect for him there cuz he can have visor (85% prot) + Weevole suit (60% prot)

again.. I derped confusing Hay Fever with Fog xD.. sorry for the confussion

EDIT--- 

This is how it looks like... you are not getting slowed down here at all-- It's a bit better than the pith hat

20190421151704_1.thumb.jpg.eb8b2e0d6d708e468f8ac73bae274061.jpg

Sorry, but I don't think this is an accessibility issue.  You're meant to spend 0% of time without goggles, and you don't seem to have played him very much to even test this.

Insanity ambiance also never "caused physical pain" though it is meant to be annoying and distracting because when you consider how easy shadows are to fight it being annoying is the only downside of insanity outside of a boss battle.

I'm not saying that I think you're making it up that you "instantly get headaches" but I don't think you represent even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of players and given that Wagstaff (only one of many characters available) should have no reason to ever be blurred I don't think it's a good use of dev resources to find an alternative for one person.

Motion sickness from blur and movement is a thing, and if you're sensitive to it and running around as wagstaff while he's goggleless I could see where you'd be uncomfortable.  But that's an issue with you, not with the game.

And of course, there's always some modder who is happy to provide a crutch that removes every possible downside or challenge you can have in this game, so a wagstaff with normal vision all the time is inevitable.

8 hours ago, maxiaogua said:

Or maybe add a option to make it transparent instead of blurry? Would that give people physical pain?

Just add this as an option for those migraine filled users like wigfrid's ö's and get this over with.

11 minutes ago, Toros said:

Sorry, but I don't think this is an accessibility issue.  You're meant to spend 0% of time without goggles, and you don't seem to have played him very much to even test this.

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

You aren't supposed to play him with blur dude... There us no reason you would even do that

He has 3 Goggle head pieces for every situation.. Just try and learn his new mechanics before asking outright for nerfs

I can imagine situations where you would have to swap the goggles out for another hat item. For example, when I have to wait safely around base during the night I like to pop on the tam to counteract the sanity drain. As Wagstaff this could expose me to the blurr for a bit. Just because you aren't supposed to play without blur mean you will never see the blur.

I really don't like the idea of dismissing an issue like this because OP didn't play him enough or it's just one person reporting it. If the op played him for such a short time and got these symptoms, then it is an issue.

37 minutes ago, ModsterMash said:

I can imagine situations where you would have to swap the goggles out for another hat item. For example, when I have to wait safely around base during the night I like to pop on the tam to counteract the sanity drain. As Wagstaff this could expose me to the blurr for a bit. Just because you aren't supposed to play without blur mean you will never see the blur.

I really don't like the idea of dismissing an issue like this because OP didn't play him enough or it's just one person reporting it. If the op played him for such a short time and got these symptoms, then it is an issue.

the challenge is in not using a tam.. you have find other alternative methods for sanity.

You can:

• sleep first and foremost.. he is not wicker... there is tons and tons of grass to craft a sleeping bags
  • gather the flowers from the lily pond for 5 sanity each.. they regrow after 3 to 4 days  
  • you can use food for sanity:
    • watermelons for melonsicles
    • you can farm honey for taffy by killing snaptooth, getting the nectar.. then you go to the bee hive and put it in a honey chest.. voila.. honey after a minute...

you are not dependent on tams.. He can virtually never ever use other head gear...

I already suggested some things here that would make his options complete IMO: including water resistance for the visor and adding an analogue to the gas mask

I'm not discarding people's concerns about this issue.. but pls read his post and you'll see he hasn't played enough

I myself have sensibility to sounds and eye strain (can't really play FPSs for that reason) and I don't find this an issue in all honesty... cuz we aren't supposed to wear other head gear anyways

I want the limited vision to stay, it is part of what makes the character unique, but it doesn´t just make the vision worst, it hurts to look at maybe they could change it for an effect similar to the fog but a little more transparent.

1 minute ago, Drakolyn said:

Again, his goggles don't protect him from hay fever , and they could have easily made it a diffrent less headache inducing effect , or perhaps like made an option to make it look diffrent 

dude... are you for real... I already replied to you on this

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

this is a legit concern, then we should ask the devs to get an alternative goggles

however.. you don't need that cuz u can mitigate hay fever with 

- Seed Pods latest?cb=20181017151524: cooked are even better

- Nettles: 50?cb=20181111180624latest?cb=20181017152929

Only real problem I see is the toxic jungle... I think that the devs can come up with new googles to replace the toxic mask

In the jungle near the mants near water, there are 4 pig heads.. if you hammer them each drops 2 pig skins.. that's 8 pig skins for a start plus the ones you get from pig guards and bats..

tbh quite honest.. I don't thin pig skin is an issue at all in the game.. 

I cannot discredit your pain in any shape of form, but the game offers alternatives to never ever have to be without goggles..

I'm also very sensitive to loud sounds and weird visual effects

compare with insanity sounds for instance... there is no alternative to mute them at all unless you use a mod or don't use ambient/fx sounds.. which is a big no no cuz you loose so much information about the game

I totally disagree with blacking out the map.. that would be terrible... that would affect gameplay so much for the rest of the users

I think it's a bit sad if Klei decided top change it cuz if you think about it he is like an old grandpa.. you get experience a little bit how does it feel to struggle with vision... in a videogame..

anyways.. 

could you pls try and play with with googles all the time and come back to us?? I fear you haven't played him enough...

visor doesn't make vision blurry that's not true.. 

it only reduces RANGE of vision

20190421145737_1.thumb.jpg.733d0d65b66fb0cbde15795850eca633.jpg

compare here with normal goggles

20190421145835_1.thumb.jpg.55667befdda0cd42bfe158fd58b1c905.jpg

I have only played with him with his goggles but that sill doesn't help the fact that the toxic jungle is nigh impossible without the mask, and that he takes damage from the hay fever foods, so it's not that effective , and even starting up the game as him, as he starts with goggles off, gives me a headache

Archived