FreyaMaluk

Wheeler's hair art and design

Do we want Wheeler's art to change to suit her portrait and quotes?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want Wheeler's art to change to suit her portrait and lore?

• yes pls. Her in-game art doesn't fit her bubbly personality or her portrait
    • No, I like her art the way it is atm

mathem99    1,256

I agree, her whole in-game face looks... funky.

SandvichSpy made it look much better, she needs to smile more and her skin ought to be more bright.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rellimarual    3,956

I like her bob, actually. It reminds me of a flapper. But I agree that her face seems out of character with her quotes and personality concept

• Like 3

FreyaMaluk    4,301
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I like her bob, actually. It reminds me of a flapper. But I agree that her face seems out of character with her quotes and personality concept

I don't dislike her hair overall.. just how different it moves from the front vs the back

it's weird cuz you have many layers from the front with this kinda flowy feeling and from the back is so static and her mouth is the worst IMO.. looks so sad.. why??

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Thanks 1

minespatch    49,608

The portrait reminds me of Magmatic Willow but her sprite reminds me of Wendy.:wilson_ecstatic:

• Haha 1

-Variant    2,806
9 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I don't dislike her hair overall.. just how different it moves from the front vs the back

it's weird cuz you have many layers from the front with this kinda flowy feeling and from the back is so static and her mouth is the worst IMO.. looks so sad.. why??

This is because of how the sprites work.
The reason her hair bobs in the front is due to a front hair sprite, that of which her back is missing because you can't see it.
Her hair is animated the same from the front and back, but the front happens to have an extra layer.
This sprite actually has never been used before by any character, so it seems unfinished, actually, and messes up in a few animations.
Along with her odd/unique body shape, when chopping, her hips actually dislodge.

Side note:
Trust me, I love Wheeler, but there's a few animation issues here.

• Like 1

FreyaMaluk    4,301

1 minute ago, Angel_Octoling said:

This is because of how the sprites work.
The reason her hair bobs in the front is due to a front hair sprite, that of which her back is missing because you can't see it.
Her hair is animated the same from the front and back, but the front happens to have an extra layer.
This sprite actually has never been used before by any character, so it seems unfinished, actually, and messes up in a few animations.
Along with her odd/unique body shape, when chopping, her hips actually dislodge.

Side note:
Trust me, I love Wheeler, but there's a few animation issues here.

do you mind elaborating a bit more on that.. maybe  with examples?? I could include this in OP to make a comprehensive list of issues

-Variant    2,806
1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

do you mind elaborating a bit more on that.. maybe  with examples?? I could include this in OP to make a comprehensive list of issues

Yeah, sure, sure.
Give me a few seconds to get the SPRITER and some in Game sprites.

Oh boy... Here we go.

Animation errors:

Spoiler

image.png.76d37fd9f3b14e89dfb656c889f713bd.png
image.thumb.png.1090fcd772cc6d18617da023e46acb1b.pngHer hair is outside her jacket when holding still, but is inside when running.
image.png.69edb39e07b1926df82348c34cceb879.pngThis explains itself.image.thumb.png.66e75b9bda58c5015684e059727b84db.png Can't really be shown here, but her hair sprite (front one) snaps into place after chopping something from the side view. And also when walking. Also, her hand looks off here, but that might be me.image.png.438488868112bb4980b8cee721288131.pngThe exact frame her dodge ends, her hand goes from being spread out to a fist in a second, not the smoothest transition.
image.thumb.png.7a2d91765618256f0ba3dc93b5829012.pngHer hand clips her hair, and her hair clips almost all hats.
image.thumb.png.75a3b1326aaef7e50fb8707b1713f5e5.pngAgain, explains itself.

Now, Spriter.
Oh... It's worse than I thought.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6e6c42b29252d47b0039a60195019dd3.pngThere's actually TREE hair sprites, I think this is a record, but don't quote me.
All 3 bounce when walking, but the one on the Right has never been used before on any character.
image.thumb.png.c5326c9bfcf1d37bb3678cf7fc230e64.pngHer back only has 2, per say. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FreyaMaluk    4,301
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Yeah, sure, sure.
Give me a few seconds to get the SPRITER and some in Game sprites.

Oh boy... Here we go.

Animation errors:

Hide contents

image.png.76d37fd9f3b14e89dfb656c889f713bd.png
image.thumb.png.1090fcd772cc6d18617da023e46acb1b.pngHer hair is outside her jacket when holding still, but is inside when running.
image.png.69edb39e07b1926df82348c34cceb879.pngThis explains itself.image.thumb.png.66e75b9bda58c5015684e059727b84db.png Can't really be shown here, but her hair sprite (front one) snaps into place after chopping something from the side view. And also when walking. Also, her hand looks off here, but that might be me.image.png.438488868112bb4980b8cee721288131.pngThe exact frame her dodge ends, her hand goes from being spread out to a fist in a second, not the smoothest transition.
image.thumb.png.7a2d91765618256f0ba3dc93b5829012.pngHer hand clips her hair, and her hair clips almost all hats.
image.thumb.png.75a3b1326aaef7e50fb8707b1713f5e5.pngAgain, explains itself.

Now, Spriter.
Oh... It's worse than I thought.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.6e6c42b29252d47b0039a60195019dd3.pngThere's actually TREE hair sprites, I think this is a record, but don't quote me.
All 3 bounce when walking, but the one on the Right has never been used before on any character.
image.thumb.png.c5326c9bfcf1d37bb3678cf7fc230e64.pngHer back only has 2, per say. 

this is awesome :)

the hair bit outside of the head gear is a common mistake... but I reported that already...

some of the "explain itself" I didn't get...

the 3 hair sprites were clear to me ... ergo why the hair from the back look so weird.. it needs more layers

there are a lot animation errors I didn't realize... still don't get the "explain itself ones" .. sorry you mind explaining what you mean?

great job

50 minutes ago, bugsmand said:

Now idk if the bobbing hair would still work, but i decided to try and redesign her as well.

image.png

this is def much more like in the portrait.. and there is boyz and grilz and all in between!!!!!

THE SMUG!! xD

I think her lips aren't that big.. but overall is such an improvement from that depressive face

Edited by FreyaMaluk

-Variant    2,806
1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

there are a lot animation errors I didn't realize... still don't get the "explain itself ones" .. sorry you mind explaining what you mean?

Her head, in the crafting animation her hair cuts through her head, and her arms are out of place.

• Thanks 1

FreyaMaluk    4,301
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Her head, in the crafting animation her hair cuts through her head, and her arms are out of place.

i see.. ty so much ... again great work dude

edit.. I added your compilation to OP with the respective credit :)

Edited by FreyaMaluk

4 Da LOLs    1,705
3 hours ago, bugsmand said:

Now idk if the bobbing hair would still work, but i decided to try and redesign her as well.

image.png

maybe put the ears alittle higher, she looks like Denzel Crocker

• Haha 1

bugsmand    594
Just now, 4 Da LOLs said:

maybe put the ears alittle higher, she looks like Denzel Crocker

Ay i was just following the portrait, even then her in-game ears are pretty much the same spot.

4 Da LOLs    1,705
Just now, bugsmand said:

Ay i was just following the portrait, even then her in-game ears are pretty much the same spot.

ok

sorry

bugsmand    594
Just now, 4 Da LOLs said:

ok

sorry

No need to apologize, if it sounded aggressive it wasn't supposed to. In that case I need to apologize.

I apologize.

• Like 3

FreyaMaluk    4,301
Just now, bugsmand said:

I think the position of the ears here is not a big of a deal compared to how much she improved from in-game perma sad face

ears are easier to tweak and move around

FreyaMaluk    4,301
3 hours ago, bugsmand said:

image.png

I added your art to OP.. to keep it all clean in the first post.. ty again :) ofc I credit you

• Thanks 1

Portmanteau    195
8 hours ago, bugsmand said:

image.png

@Jason/@bizziboi/@HugoM/@anyoneinthehamlerartteam

(wouldn't normally do this but now I feel this art change should be 100% made.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mueck    529

Just to add: There is also an issue with the front hair part being visible when she's struck by lightning. There's an image of it on her wiki page.

• Thanks 1

FreyaMaluk    4,301
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mueck said:

Just to add: There is also an issue with the front hair part being visible when she's struck by lightning. There's an image of it on her wiki page.

ty for this... probs will include in OP to have all info all neat in one place :)

edit-- btw .. I credited you for pointing this out 

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 1