Wheeler's hair art and design

Do we want Wheeler's art to change to suit her portrait and quotes?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want Wheeler's art to change to suit her portrait and lore?

• yes pls. Her in-game art doesn't fit her bubbly personality or her portrait
    • No, I like her art the way it is atm

3 minutes ago, Geeris said:

Just by reversing the position of the mouth, we have a good improvement in appearance.

wheeler-mouth.png.97c44c1d132d494b85967a6f216df327.png

I agree but the other visual issues with her hair still remain 

Check op on the list of animation issues... Her hair cut through her neck when crafting and stuff like that

19 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I agree but the other visual issues with her hair still remain 

Check op on the list of animation issues... Her hair cut through her neck when crafting and stuff like that

For sure!

I see that these problems are of error in the positioning of the assets in the animation. Such:

bugged_wes.png.70aa461361a37e055f697aa3d7c81e41.png

I think Klei will fix it soon (I hope so). 

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

This is because of the symbol layers in the dolongaction animation would need to be fixed or a unique one created for Wheeler or use of symbolswap code to put the torso above the hair symbol then it doesn't clip through her torso, that would fix the hair problem with any animations like that, hopefully it gets fixed :).

2 hours ago, Warbucks said:

This is because of the symbol layers in the dolongaction animation would need to be fixed or a unique one created for Wheeler or use of symbolswap code to put the torso above the hair symbol then it doesn't clip through her torso, that would fix the hair problem with any animations like that, hopefully it gets fixed :).

Yeap... I mean this post is not about destroying Wheeler but pointing out in a cohesive way all the errors in her animations due to an extra hair layer... This is not about destroying her... Just fixing the issues.. 

Which us now surprising when u admit there are issues and u voted no... 

Do you really thing her smile reflects her personality? 

Or u just voted before reading what this was about... xD

3 hours ago, Geeris said:

For sure!

I see that these problems are of error in the positioning of the assets in the animation. Such:

bugged_wes.png.70aa461361a37e055f697aa3d7c81e41.png

I think Klei will fix it soon (I hope so). 

For sure... I just tried to compile a list as comprehensive as possible for the devs.. 

48 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Yeap... I mean this post is not about destroying Wheeler but pointing out in a cohesive way all the errors in her animations due to an extra hair layer... This is not about destroying her... Just fixing the issues.. 

Which us now surprising when u admit there are issues and u voted no... 

The vote is "DO WE WANT WHEELER'S ART TO CHANGE TO SUIT HER PORTRAIT AND QUOTES?" I voted no because the examples of how she should be changed to look

Spoiler
On 4/20/2019 at 3:39 AM, FreyaMaluk said:

image.png.0582ffe58135805f083678ad2fb43255.png 

image.png.c6a1eeda7273ce70034ab021b3202805_1.png.35a6663b1d04573dea50785c5a16425d.png

I personally didn't find as appealing as how she looks right now. If the change were something more similar to this 

Spoiler

then I would've voted yes. I do however want the issues with her animations to be fixed such as hair glitching through the torso, ect. :)

48 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Do you really thing her smile reflects her personality? 

Or u just voted before reading what this was about... xD

Personally, I like Wheeler's in game art. I wouldn't mind if her current texture was changed then the faces look like she's smiling and maybe slightly messier hair, but changing her skin tone, facial structure, or any other drastic changes I wouldn't personally like it :wilson_resigned:..

7 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

The vote is "DO WE WANT WHEELER'S ART TO CHANGE TO SUIT HER PORTRAIT AND QUOTES?" I voted no because the examples of how she should be changed to look

Reveal hidden contents

I personally didn't find as appealing as how she looks right now. If the change were something more similar to this 

Reveal hidden contents

then I would've voted yes. I do however want the issues with her animations to be fixed such as hair glitching through the torso, ect. :)

Personally, I like Wheeler's in game art. I wouldn't mind if her current texture was changed then the faces look like she's smiling and maybe slightly messier hair, but changing her skin tone, facial structure, or any other drastic changes I wouldn't personally like it :wilson_resigned:..

Those are examples.. 

The underlying message us asking for a meaningful change to not making her look like a sad person.. Cuz she isnt

That last example came a little late to include it and I probs will later when I'm sitting in my pc

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

The underlying message us asking for a meaningful change to not making her look like a sad person.. Cuz she isnt

Then it would've been better if one of the votes was something like "Yes, I would like Wheeler's face textures to be more smiley" or something instead of showing examples for an overhaul of her texture :).

1 minute ago, Warbucks said:

Then it would've been better if one of the votes was something like "Yes, I would like Wheeler's face textures to be more smiley" or something instead of showing examples for an overhaul of her texture :).

Yeap... I mean I also didn't include an "I don't care" option.. And ik for a fact at least one person voted no cuz doesn't care... But oh well I tried to make the topic as comprehensive as possible.. Those examples are visual help... And tbh her sling tone is weird... She is pink and in the portrait more like tanned.. Which makes more sense cuz she us an adventurer

18 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Well all DS character faces are very neutral looking except for Wilba and Woodlegs. Also, some of the characters may have different facial expressions in their portrait art such as Wes looking sad, Maxwell looking smug/happy, Woodie looking like a crazy person, and Wortox not looking angry, it doesn't mean their face textures should all be changed to reflect their portrait art.

9 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

tbh her sling tone is weird... She is pink and in the portrait more like tanned.. Which makes more sense cuz she us an adventurer

Quite a few Don't Starve characters have their portrait art skin color exaggerated it can be seen in some portrait arts.

Warly

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160227182814

latest?cb=20160114201147(Almost white)

Wilba

Spoiler

latest?cb=20181016063412

latest?cb=20181016021621(Different shade of pink)

Maxwell

Spoiler

latest?cb=20130412011834

latest?cb=20140330212229(Skin is completely different color as well as his suit)

Anyways, personally like I said I wouldn't mind if Wheeler smiles more in her face textures, but I wouldn't like if her skin color was changed or she looks very different than she does now.

12 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Well all DS character faces are very neutral looking except for Wilba and Woodlegs. Also, some of the characters may have different facial expressions in their portrait art such as Wes looking sad, Maxwell looking smug/happy, Woodie looking like a crazy person, and Wortox not looking angry, it doesn't mean their face textures should all be changed to reflect their portrait art.

Quite a few Don't Starve characters have their portrait art skin color exaggerated it can be seen in some portrait arts.

Warly

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20160227182814

latest?cb=20160114201147(Almost white)

Wilba

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20181016063412

latest?cb=20181016021621(Different shade of pink)

Maxwell

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20130412011834

latest?cb=20140330212229(Skin is completely different color as well as his suit)

But what we are asking is.. And it's in the tittle.. That the changes fit her personality... 

She is an adventurer... No reason to have pink skin that doesn't fit het

She is not depressed.. Look at her mooth from all angles.. 

Her portrait reflects that... 

20190420162422_1.jpg.ad127bda31117b2d882fdcb8c76105d7.jpg20190420162747_1.jpg.55fd7e61a2681d4e70c8cb876dfb52af.jpg20190420161944_1.jpg.5964c0893d3f23e7d5da2f0a44162225.jpg

Vs

20190418225829_1.thumb.jpg.d1ad125084176706af488efd81f5988a.jpg

BTW all those characters don't diverge so much from their portraits.. 

Only one is maybe max.. But in adventure mode u know he isn't really smug... He is pretending to be.. So it makes sense he has a more neutral face expression 

And Warly looks much better in the game... He reflects what his character is.. Which is the most important aspect

13 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

She is an adventurer... No reason to have pink skin that doesn't fit het

Her skin color isn't pink, it's literally the same color as Warly's skin color. That's just the hamlet color cubes.

She is not depressed.. Look at her mooth from all angles.. 

Her portrait reflects that...

Like I said, I wouldn't mind if her faces become more smiley, but to be honest she has all rights to look sad! I mean her air balloon crashed into the middle of nowhere and she's all alone stranded trying to survive in a place where everything wants to kill you! Even if I was the most optimistic person in the world I wouldn't really be happy in that situation either :wilson_ecstatic:!

And Warly looks much better in the game... He reflects what his character is.. Which is the most important aspect

Then what you would want is for Klei to change the hamlet color cubes because it makes her skin color look pink because even if her skin color was changed Warly is skin color would look pink in hamlet too.

Just now, Warbucks said:

Her skin color isn't pink, it's literally the same color as Warly's skin color. That's just the hamlet color cubes.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind if her faces become more smiley, but to be honest she has all rights to look sad! I mean her air balloon crashed into the middle of nowhere and she's all alone stranded trying to survive in a place where everything wants to kill you! Even if I was the most optimistic person in the world I wouldn't really be happy in that situation either :wilson_ecstatic:!

? She has a pink color.. That's undeniable..  Lol.. Like Warly 

She looks pink in RoG too

Ok.. We going in circles now u trying to get into another topic that Inst her quote really.. 

Ty for expanding your position anyways.. 

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

? She has a pink color.. That's undeniable..  Lol.. Like Warly 

She looks pink in RoG too

Right on the DS wiki in the characters area their character select images literally have the same exact skin color if you open it in an art program and use a color select tool.

latest?cb=20160227182814latest?cb=20190419005931

Her skin color isn't pink, that is all! Good day ;)!

3 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Right on the DS wiki in the characters area their character select images literally have the same exact skin color if you open it in an art program and use a color select tool.

That color isn't her current one.. She looked darker before when she was low res.. I'll be posting her side by side later for comparison with in game screenies.. And they don't have the same skin even in that example.. Warly is darker.. Which makes sense

On 4/22/2019 at 6:01 PM, Warbucks said:

On 4/22/2019 at 6:03 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

That color isn't her current one.. She looked darker before when she was low res.. I'll be posting her side by side later for comparison with in game screenies.. And they don't have the same skin even in that example.. Warly is darker.. Which makes sense

This is because sprite colors are different when playing the game rather than looking at them in the files.

This is due to color cubes. And the hard part is if you change someone's skin color sprite wise, the color cubes will make it look different in game.
But yeah, running it through a paint program shows they almost share the same skin color.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, Angel_Octoling said:

This is because sprite colors are different when playing the game rather than looking at them in the files.

This is due to color cubes. And the hard part is if you change someone's skin color sprite wise, the color cubes will make it look different in game.
But yeah, running it through a paint program shows they almost share the same skin color.

This doesn't undermine the other issues in this thread tho. 

Sad face

weird hair animations 

I see now the color cube impact on her skin BUT I usually don't have access to the sprites to compare cuz I go from the things I can see ingame and I believe is unfair to assume the devs need me to know to see the sprites to make a valid point that her skin looks pink the game and more tanned in the profile

but tbh this is not even the most grave issue.

Her sad face needs to get fixed asap

I think her sprite is fine for the most part. The animations could use some work, but the sad face is fine. All characters look sad, frustrated, or annoyed in-game, with the exception of Woodlegs, Wilba's perpetual smile, and Wormwood and WX's expressionless face.

• Developer
40 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

@ImDaMisterL do I need to post this in the bug tracker too? We haven't really heard anything about the sprite and animation issues.. 

Actual bugs and glitches are to be reported, like the Wes animation issue up there. Just check the Bug Tracker to make sure someone hasn't reported the issue already :)

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Interesting enough, if you use that emotes mod in the workshop, you can even get them working.

Wagstaff's goggles even change with emotes:

RmzTGlA.jpgxgPeeXr.jpg

Yeap.. Ive seen this mod in action for Wheeler already too.. 

She CAN laugh omg... 

20190421101751_1.jpg.da10d3a1155c51ccfbb83be907c45ab1.jpg

Bach to apathetic face 

20190421100724_1.jpg.9df9f31ed36e26c76c832f73fb22d65a.jpg

11 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Actual bugs and glitches are to be reported, like the Wes animation issue up there. Just check the Bug Tracker to make sure someone hasn't reported the issue already :)

Wes's problem was solved a long time ago.

It was just an example of an animation bug. :)

Archived