Hi guys, I know there are numerous guides out there but not many mentioning some useful little tricks that aided me for quite some time. I guess maybe gurus finds them trivial? Anyway, I would like to share some and please add more if you think that these are too basic.
1. Preplacement without triggering the action:
The picture explains better. Have you ever had the case where while you are planning a specific setup some part finished earlier than they should and started running and caused a mess? e.g. the pipe line started pumping before the wall to confine the liquid is built. You could place the power wire or pipes in single grid, then connect them later with your mouse. This is also useful if you are building a completely sealed room before you have automation, you can place the wires safely without triggering them firstly, enclose the room then come back later to trigger it without dupe work.
2. building through walls. A cornered gap prevents gas or liquid leaking through but allows dupes, robot miner or sweeper to "act" through them. This is useful in many scenario. e.g. in the picture below my dupes can safely "close-in" the geyser without ever contact the steam. He will build a block, delete the one outside, build another one below that, to gradually advance inward. (micro management required though). This is also useful in settings such as regolith cleaning and mining, volcano item fetching and so on.
3. Under printer pacu tank
Build a door below the printer, when pacu is available, get your dupe to make the door open, IMPORTANT: you have to print the pacu while the dupe is opening the door (yellow bar is showing), earlier, the pacu may flap away. later, the printer become disabled by the openning door AND YOU LOSE THIS PRINTING COMPLETELY. Remember to close it once the pacu drop down. You can have multiple layer of doors to drop them into your tank if you prefer.
Also, I have 48 pacus in this 3 tile tank (yes, 48), as long as they stay wild, it does not matter how big the tank is. So you get a lot of egg shell and meat free by applying this method.
Door permission works even the door is kept open as shown above. Keep your door open, it helps the dupes to go through faster.
Also shown above. There is no need to power your fridge, just build a basement like I did, CO2 eventually condense in and the food never spoil in CO2. Grilled food is germ-free as long as your chef is clean, so Chlorine is not essential, but it works with chlorine too (spilling chlorine can be troublesome.
6. Power free mechanical filter (works on liquid and gas) ( credit to the original author who showed me this trick in the SPOM design below, but forgives me as I couldn't find his post anymore.
The game allows liquid or gas to merge in pipe only if they are of the same element. With this mechanism, you can set up a filter as follows:
1.Build a loop with a valve, set the valve flow rate to 1g/s, build a bridge right before the valve on the loop ( the lower bridge in the blueprint),
2. Inject into the loop with some of the fluid that you want the loop to filter, in my case, hydrogen for the spom. The valve will circle it and fill every pipe grid with that liquid each is 1g.
3. once the loop is filled with the liquid, make your mixture go next to the loop (preferably in opposite direction otherwise the parallerity means there will be 1g left in the mixture fluid, then connect one or several bridges between your mixture pipe and the valve loop.
How it works: the priority setting forces the gas to try to go through the bridge then into the valve, however it can't as flow rate is limited so the extra gas go down out. When the mixure gas enters the connecting bridge( the two bridges up in the blue print), fluid with the same element as the loop will be pushed to the loop, and eventually moves out from the pipe below. Fluid with different element cannot enter and moves on in their original pipe. NOTE:if the removal end is not fast enough then the loop is filled up then it looses the ability to absorb that element into the loop and the mixture will not be filtered or only partly filtered.
7. Flat Water airlock
If you leave a gap (or mesh tile) on both side of the water gap, and use any two different liquid to build the airlock(heavier one goes in firstly), it can stand on its own.
Forgot this one.
8. Regolith protective shell:
You dont have to use bunker tile to explore in space (because initially steel is rather rare especially if you do not explore the oil biome for fossile. Build a normal tile, leave at least 4 tiles from the top (maybe 3 is enough??), yes the meteorite will damage the tiles initially, but soon the regolith build up, and 4 layer thick regolith protect the shell below perfectly anyway. Saving precious steel. You can also build bunker tile firstly, allow regolith to build up, then replace them with normal tile.