[Poll] New content: insanity

New content: Insanity revamp  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the insanity mechanic to be remastered?

• Yes! I think that this particular aspect of the game is incomplete and it deserves some, if not prioritized, attention.
    • No, it's fine as it is.
  2. 2. What additions do you consider adequate for the Insanity?

• New shadow creatures.
    • Hallucinations scaring the player even more and make them lose even more sanity.
    • Sound cues at completely unexpected moments to send chills down my spine while being insane.
    • Random events at low sanity like the player having a heart/spasm attack lowering their sanity even more and taking some health.
    • Specific events for particular characters that can lower their sanity (such as seeing someone die, seeing entities that they have a phobia for, being in inadequate conditions, situations resembling/triggering their bad memories/traumatic experiences) and make some characters resistant to some of them (WX'S inability to empathize)
    • No, I said IT'S FINE.
  3. 3. What would you like the priority of the insanity update to be?

• I think it should be in one of the top, if not in the first priorities.
    • I would like it in but at this point I think that there are other more important things to work on.
    • *hyperventilating* NO I DON'T WANT IT REMASTERED!!!
  4. 4. What kind of shadow creatures would you like to see included in the remaster?

• Terrifying, horrid monsters that are hard to/impossible to kill that appear after long periods of time.
    • Passive, neutral, self-defensive creatures that drop more nightmare fuel
    • More ambiental, harmless creatures that just are meant to remind the player of their insanity coming.
    • Stalkers, (maybe dressed, tall humanoids) that follow the player in a way that they try to remain unnoticed (hide behind trees/rocks) and lean out a little from time to time, and that attack players that are off-guard after they stay near the structure they hid behind for long enough, by running out and attacking a single time and disappearing. Will attack more and faster each time. Can be neutralized if attacked during their charging if the player has reflexes.
    • Screamers, crooked parodies that jump out of nowhere, are hard to evade and scare the crap out of me (lose more sanity) and maybe deal some damage, during their scream, then disappear as fast as they appeared.
    • NONE!! I SAID IT'S FINE AS IT IS!!!!
    • I don't think that new creatures are necessary, I like other ideas though.

At this point, I think that "insanity" aspect of the game is very barebones and a little bit incomplete.

That's why I bring in an initiative of suggesting some changes/additions to the insanity mechanic. I am aware that insanity is exploited to get nightmare fuel, which is used to access some pretty good gear. Well, that kind of irradicates a form of challenge in the game. My desire is that getting nice stuff means bigger... risks.

I think that insanity should be remastered in a way that it resembles more of a nightmare. I want insanity to be feared by players, because many don't give a heck about it and just keep farming nightmare fuel.

I would like this to have it's expenses, prices and risks.

voted on the 5th in the second question but what i really want is a character specific detriment for everyone when theyre insane, making some better to farm nightmare fuel and others not as good as they are currently; e.g. wolfgang deals 0.75x damage when insane, willow freezes (as she does now), WX gets stunned sporadically due to blue screens, absolutely nothing changes for maxwell, wickerbottom starts to lose health as if shes starving, etc

not really these effects in specific, but you get the idea

I'd like to see more interactions between an insane player and the world. Right now all we got are rabbits, bunnymen and obelisks that are actually effected by your sanity state.

I just had an interesting thought as I was writing this. What if sanity could be remade into a difficulty scaling mechanic? A lot of veterans complain about a lack of difficulty, and the most common counter argument about increasing difficulty is the new player experience (And as contradictory as it sounds, the game needs both). So if the player has a say on how difficult the game can get, then both sides can be satisfied. I can't think of any actual examples on how to go about doing this, but I thought it was an interesting idea on it's own.

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I'd like to see more interactions between an insane player and the world. Right now all we got are rabbits, bunnymen and obelisks that are actually effected by your sanity state.

I just had an interesting thought as I was writing this. What if sanity could be remade into a difficulty scaling mechanic? A lot of veterans complain about a lack of difficulty, and the most common counter argument about increasing difficulty is the new player experience (And as contradictory as it sounds, the game needs both). So if the player has a say on how difficult the game can get, then both sides can be satisfied. I can't think of any actual examples on how to go about doing this, but I thought it was an interesting idea on it's own.

I uploaded the poll too early by accident while was incomplete, I added more into it. 

I recommend reading it again and maybe re-vote. I didn't put all the options I wanted in, I just added them all in a hurry.

I never thought I'd like the idea of a screamer in DST at all, mainly because it's usually a cheap way to get a small jump out of people. However, I feel like if you build up the screamer before it actually happens, it'll have more of an effect on the player, and feel less cheap.

Examples would be:
Having an audio queue build up to something, such as the insanity whispering getting louder and gradually turning into shouting.

Your visuals generally getting darker. Not too dark to play the game, but noticeably darker than normal.

The Screamer (and the events building up to a screamer) only triggering in specific situations, such as underground combat or being hunted by shadow creatures. This is because, if you're at you're base just chilling, it'll be pretty easy to tell the signs of an upcoming screamer once you know what you're looking for.

Insanity Tendrils being amplified after the screamer. This would obstruct the edges of the screen, but not as much to the point where it's too hard to see. Maybe as much as Wagstaff's Visor HUD. This wouldn't be much of a problem normally, but in places like the ruins it can be deadly. It should only last somewhere around 10-30 seconds.

Hmm. I remember a lot of people on these forums complained and still complain about the insanity's visual filter and sounds - as being annoying and whatnot. And you chaps propose additional jump-scare sounds.. well. Ok.

Yes, some more advanced Shadow Creature when players are insane for long periods of time could provide a decent drawback and even nice rewards for surmounting their threat, not to mention providing needed variety for this mechanic (and its abuses). And yep, would be good if their danger-level (maybe number or type) incremented as player stays insane for very long intervals. Aside from that don't think other changes to Insanity should take place, or at least make it - again - a 2-step difficulty in general so newbies/noobs won't be totally destroyed (even more then already are atm): standard as of how already is now, and an upping in stakes after a world-altering event, either from player interaction (first defeat of Ancient Fuelweaver and Ruins reset for example) or small increments in general difficulty derived from number of survived in-game years (each new year unlocks new harder mechanics, be it more mobs, some randomization in attack periods of wave-mobs, scaling-up of AI and variety of attacks from current mobs and so on).

I feel that being insane for a long time (like a full 2 days or something) should give an unavoidable harsh penalty as right now it's just easy to stay insane since Day 1. If you are insane for a long time you should be penalised so that it reminds players not to be insane all of the time. Therefore making it a bad thing for having a stat low, like every other stat in the game. We don't really see people using low beaverness, health and hunger to an advantage but we see people low sanity for long periods of time.

my opinion i suppose

Maybe you should rephrase the first question, I don't think the Insanity mechanic deserves priority, but I always love new content. 

Something that can draw back players who might abuse being insane would be interesting, especially with the introduction of creatures stronger and scarier than those awful Terrorbeaks. But I think this stuff shouldn't be what Klei immediately switches their attention to. For the moment it feels fine enough, but I could see areas of improvement and expansion.

(Yeah, I know there's an option for not completely prioritizing this. But I feel less than priority, more like a back burner  sorta thing.)

20 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

At this point, I think that "insanity" aspect of the game is very barebones and a little bit incomplete.

That's why I bring in an initiative of suggesting some changes/additions to the insanity mechanic. I am aware that insanity is exploited to get nightmare fuel, which is used to access some pretty good gear. Well, that kind of irradicates a form of challenge in the game. My desire is that getting nice stuff means bigger... risks.

I think that insanity should be remastered in a way that it resembles more of a nightmare. I want insanity to be feared by players, because many don't give a heck about it and just keep farming nightmare fuel.

I would like this to have it's expenses, prices and risks.

question 1 and 3 kinda contradict themselves

question 4 can be rephrased a bit better... more creatures yes... impossible to kill .. not so much.. with a good brain and irregular kitting patterns.. yes

also stalkers could probably be the death of people with bad ping cuz they wouldn't even be able to see them before they strike.. that can be a problem honestly...

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

also stalkers could probably be the death of people with bad ping cuz they wouldn't even be able to see them before they strike.. that can be a problem honestly...

Even more reasons to be concerned about one's sanity.

4 hours ago, Catteflyterpill said:

Maybe you should rephrase the first question, I don't think the Insanity mechanic deserves priority, but I always love new content. 

First question is basically a yes/no. In the third one you precise how much you want it.

11 hours ago, blizstorm said:

Thanks for the idea. Would you mind posting such things HERE next time?

I am not posting such ideas there. They are sentenced for death there.

Basically I want insanity to be something to be really concerned about when it is low. My original idea is that insanity just keeps getting worse as the time passes.

23 hours ago, Hell-met said:

Aswell as fake hound/giant/worm warnings when at 10% sanity and less.

That would be messed up, but I like it as long as there's a chance that it can be real besides the normal predictable waves.

5 minutes ago, seffard said:

That would be messed up, but I like it as long as there's a chance that it can be real besides the normal predictable waves.

I think that's a great idea, since the definition of insanity is you losing a grip on reality around you.

Okay, there's one more top-level option this poll needs, and that's:  "Maybe, if the new changes are TOGGLEABLE."  That is to say, if you can choose which level of insanity effects you want in the world-gen setup phase. 

You see, this is a High-Level Players problem only.  Not everybody goes around blase-ly staying insane all the time to farm nightmare fuel.  Not everybody even _cares_ about nightmare fuel, except for when they want to, say, make a life-giving amulet or such, and would rather stay sane most of the time if possible.  Not everyone plays as Maxwell!  Some people hate and/or fear the insanty mechanic as it is, or just think the effects are annoying and would like LESS of them.  There are mods to take out the colour change and dampen down the sound effects--those exist for a reason, guys!

Me?  I don't enjoy being insane (in this game or real life, ha ha) and I turned off the wobbly screen effect IMMEDIATELY 'cos it bugs me so much.  As for the sound effects, they're annoying, but I'd never mod them out completely.  Don't Starve is one of the few games I keep the sound fully on for, and I do that for a REASON.  The sound effects are _important_ because they _tell_ you things.  If one of you gets Klei to legit start having the sound effects actually LIE to me, so help me, I will find you, and I will put my boot up your backside.

Unless the Enhanced Insanity is toggleable.  : P

Seriously, I really badly want to know when hounds are ACTUALLY coming, and I find the Deerclops's breathing to be creepy enough.  This is a game where you have to have your senses sharp to jump at the REAL shadows--don't make it so players are paranoid _all the freaking time_!  And for those of you about to say "Well, it's so easy to keep sane all the time, why would it even be an issue?" say it with me:

NOT EVERYONE IS A TOP-LEVEL PLAYER.

Also, stalkers that are MORE likely to kill people with bad ping?  Seriously, dude!  Punishing people for a thing THEY CAN'T CONTROL?!  You want to make _lag_, the worst bane of every gamer ever, even worse on PURPOSE?  Go look up what morals are and get back to us when you're a better person.

I would apologise for the harshness of this post, but no. This whole thread is completely from the "LOL LOOK AT ME I'M SO MLG PRO" point of view and you didn't even _notice_.  "Even more reason to  be concerned about one's sanity." doesn't even take into ACCOUNT the people who DO struggle with that mechanic as it is, and news flash, the majority of players _are not experts_.  Thank goodness Klei knows this too, however, and does not want to alienate most of their playerbase to appease a minority.

...unless the new effects are toggleable.  If it's completely an OPTION so you can show off if you want, sure.  I mean, I go around randomising the seasons for extra challenge--but I always TELL PEOPLE in the description.  Perhaps if you're using harder sanity rules that should be made known to new joiners too.

...Notorious

2 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

First question is basically a yes/no. In the third one you precise how much you want it.

that's not true.. in the first question you allude to "prioritized attention"... that already is a priority claim.. which is then repeated in question 3

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

that's not true.. in the first question you allude to "prioritized attention"... that already is a priority claim.. which is then repeated in question 3

Then why do you say no, when you actually want that content in? Seriously. That question is indeed a yes/no, legitimately. You can really decide if it should be a priority or not.

Just now, Wilson_pl said:

Then why do you say no, when you actually want that content in? Seriously. That question is indeed a yes/no, legitimately. You can really decide if it should be a priority or not.

cuz I wanna say yes... but I don't think it's a priority.. phrasing is important

13 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

cuz I wanna say yes... but I don't think it's a priority.. phrasing is important

Pretty much everything is a priority, just smaller or bigger.

If you really are focused so much on little details like those, there you go.

But that won't change anything if you already voted. First question is a literal YES/NO. You WANT the new content regarding insanity in, you DON'T WANT the new content regarding insanity in. It is so god damn simple.

45 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

snip lol

Our main problem is that you don't need to be a top-level player to make sanity a joke. The only real danger that comes from insanity are the two nightmare creatures, and both of them have a braindead easy kite pattern once the player learns what kiting even is. (Yes, ping is a very big issue to some players, myself included, but it's not a game mechanic so we shouldn't base balance around that.)

Also, insanity is supposed to be, well, insanity. If you're insane, you should be wary to trust your senses, because you don't know what's real and what's not. It's a bit silly to have the only change to your person when they switch from sanity to insanity is "they get a headache and ancient creatures attack them. (and said ancient creatures can be killed with an axe)" 

We're not asking to make insanity stupidly hard (for the most part). But we can all agree that insanity is too easy in it's current form. If you want to blame ping for nightmare creatures killing you, then we might as well hold literally every other hostile mob in the game as accountable as them too.

I like the ideas suggested here, but my only problem with any of the suggestions is a screamer. Even though it most likely could be predicted, it could cause anxiety in people who have problems with it, like myself. I personally already need to use a mod to disable the insanity sounds, because it makes me get lightheaded due to anxiety. All the other ideas here though are good. :D

Archived