Playtime record

when you are posting numbers in the thousands of hours. Are we talking about thousands of hours sitting in front of the screen or your machine running overnight with you sleeping in your bed?

Please add an approximate amount of afk-time to your values, guys.

471 hours, almost no afk-time (<10%).

I'm at 507, but I don't do AFK. I'm too paranoid that something catastrophic could happen. Honestly, I don't know how you can until the very late game. I don't think my colony was truly stable, running entirely on renewable sources, until cycle 1000 or so. Most of the game you're struggling to avoid collapse because your current tech depends on limited resources. I.e. transitioning away from algae for oxygen, dirt for food, etc.

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I'm at 507, but I don't do AFK. I'm too paranoid that something catastrophic could happen. Honestly, I don't know how you can until the very late game. I don't think my colony was truly stable, running entirely on renewable sources, until cycle 1000 or so. Most of the game you're struggling to avoid collapse because your current tech depends on limited resources. I.e. transitioning away from algae for oxygen, dirt for food, etc.

In the earlier game, I do it mostly to see how things will develop. It is quite common that I let it run overnight, see what has happened and reload the save from the evening before and plan accordingly. Later, I more often do it to advance things and keep the changes.

10 hours ago, blash365 said:

when you are posting numbers in the thousands of hours. Are we talking about thousands of hours sitting in front of the screen or your machine running overnight with you sleeping in your bed?

Please add an approximate amount of afk-time to your values, guys.

I'd guess maybe 500 hours was afk.  I've run  several all-night endurance runs, especially while testing how ONI impacts your system over time. 

7 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

If you're doing testing, there's plenty of reason to do AFK, even in the early game. I would guess that most of the AFK time is testing, or just trying to see if a colony is self-sufficient, that sort of thing. I also don't do AFK, but I've never really done any testing.

You can set up early bases that are very stable.  The key is to only pick new dupes as you have resources to provide for them.  That said.. there have been a couple times where I was running a test overnight and came back to find my colony either dead or in trouble the next morning.  Sometimes even well-laid plans don't work out quite the way you expect.

There may also be some bug at work here. I have been playing ONI for about a year, I think, but I do not have around 10h/day with unattended time. No way. Maybe Steam fails to detect that ONI is not running anymore or something like that and keeps adding time. I may well have > 10h/day of uptime on this machine as I use it for work as well and quite often let it run overnight. 

38 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

The real question, which I don't think anyone can answer, is "How many hours on the forum?"

Yea i sometimes feel like i spend more time on the forum than playing. Still i got 460 hours played without afk.

18 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

@Oozinator, I officially bow in respect.

Thank you very muchos gracias dankeschön.
Perhaps one hour afk in total, because once i got a phonecall from my mom.
She was very angry about her neighbour, Harald Demitz from Osterode, and i forgot to pause game while talking to her, but thats another topic!
impi.jpg.72666aa01eaa8f1d557d84c37f487e77.jpg

Archived