Do you turn disease off in world generation settings?

Do you turn off disease on the world generation settings?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Do you turn off disease on the world generation settings?

• No, I always leave disease on, both in forests and caves (when I generate caves)
    • Yes, I always turn disease off, both in forests and caves (when I generate caves)
    • I only leave disease on in caves, but turn them off in forests
    • Sometimes I prefer them on, sometimes I prefer them off
    • I didn't know it was possible to turn it off

I kind of get why disease exists in DST, but just outright LOSING plants you took the time to dig up, replant and fertilize just feels horrible, and more than anything else in the game, replanting everything every 50 days or so to prevent disease just feels like annoying busy work. 

There should be some other way to balance out large twig, grass, and berry farms, like maybe some sort of mob that spawns near clustered berry bushes and eats a few berries/grass/twigs every few days or so, requiring players to do some pest control once in a while to avoid losing lots of resources.

looks like the only way you can deal with disease is to relocate them which is nightmare. it feels something random. if they add a better solution, like puting ash on them to prevent it or something,  can make this mechanic bearable :D

If disease actually served some game function, if it was combatable in some logical way like crafting pesticides (that would come perhaps with their own drawbacks), if it didn't mean just counting days and replanting crops which is just busywork and cannot be made faster or more efficient, then I would leave it on. I guess it serves to make Berries a little less useful, which is a needed nerf. But currently disease is just illogical.

What really baffles me is that it doesn't affect plants that aren't loaded by a nearby player. I thought the whole point of disease was to add to the deterioration of uninhabited camps in larger servers? No?

Gekkos, twiggy trees and honey are how I play around disease after the first replanting. The only thing that can take a while are the gekkos. After those are setup I burn the trash. The only downside is not being able to have a permanent eyeplant farm.

8 minutes ago, FloomRide said:

If disease actually served some game function, if it was combatable in some logical way like crafting pesticides (that would come perhaps with their own drawbacks), if it didn't mean just counting days and replanting crops which is just busywork and cannot be made faster or more efficient, then I would leave it on. I guess it serves to make Berries a little less useful, which is a needed nerf. But currently disease is just illogical.

What really baffles me is that it doesn't affect plants that aren't loaded by a nearby player. I thought the whole point of disease was to add to the deterioration of uninhabited camps in larger servers? No?

how is it illogical? Digging all the tufts and saplings in the world and bringing them into 1 spot doesn't sound ridiculous to you? It's an easy task that only needs to be done once for permanent benefits. This ought to have a downside.

leave grass tufts where they are on world gen and go harvest them each time if you don't want diseases.

Just now, Hell-met said:

how is it illogical? Digging all the tufts and saplings in the world and bringing them into 1 spot doesn't sound ridiculous to you? It's an easy task that only needs to be done once for permanent benefits. This ought to have a downside.

leave grass tufts where they are on world gen and go harvest them each time if you don't want diseases.

I agree it ought to have a downside, and I was very much hyped when I saw the poster for diseases and first read a little about them. But what's illogical is how it's currently thwarted by just digging and replanting crops every 20 or so days. This doesn't make sense to me. If the plant could contract a disease while it was planted, then why does digging it up and placing it in the exact same spot make any difference? 

If replanting resources at all is the thing to be punished and avoided, then I might as well just live in the desert and farm tumbleweeds instead. 

8 hours ago, Hell-met said:

I think the point is that the downside feels more like chore and not like an interesting core mechanic... It we could craft some sort of antidote for disease then that would be awesome... Maybe something you can use to protect them for a determined period of time so when you want to go and do stuff somewhere else you don't feel like a chore is preventing you from fighting bosses which is obvs more interesting than babysitting plants. 

3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think the point is that the downside feels more like chore and not like an interesting core mechanic... It we could craft some sort of antidote for disease then that would be awesome... Maybe something you can use to protect them for a determined period of time so when you want to go an d do stuff somewhere else you don't feel like a chore is preventing you from fighting noses which is obvs more interesting than babysitting plants. 

The antidote is replanting them, no?

If the afflicted crops could respawn in some part of the world then I wouldn’t mind it but at the moment once something is diseased you’ve lost it forever with no legitimate way to get it back.

The lack of renewability of these plants is what makes me turn it off.

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think the point is that the downside feels more like chore and not like an interesting core mechanic... It we could craft some sort of antidote for disease then that would be awesome...

glommer goop!

or uses it

Interesting mechanics, but too unnerving if you play alone: I think it was designed for run with many players, who then constantly monitor the base and can divide the most "thankless" tasks.
Alone it becomes just a watch that forces you every tot. days to redo your plantations, I prefer to keep it turned off on the surface.
(in the caves it makes sense to me that the plants die, try to plant an apple tree underground and see if it grows beautifully luxuriant between perennial darkness and landslides :'D)

1 minute ago, StrangeChameleon said:

Disease affects Gekkos too! At least I saw a diseased Gekko in caves when the update arrived.

that was really early release, grass gekkos were rid of disease

it was kinda creepy to just be in rockylands and then to encounter a melting gekko

Archived