Thoughts on new disease system.

This is true, just be careful not to use too much water without a reliable source.

I just perfer to "nip it in the bud" by disinfecting the PW before sieving it and then you won't have to worry about placing sinks everywhere.

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I just perfer to "nip it in the bud" by disinfecting the PW before sieving it and then you won't have to worry about placing sinks everywhere.

I absolutely agree, but it's only cycle 50 in this colony, and I'm struggling to set up a disinfection system. When you've been playing with late game technology and materials for a while, it's easy to forget how limited your options are early.

I mentioned the germ sensor needing plastic, which I don't have, and won't have for some time. Even relying on time instead of testing the water, you need automation, and that means refined metal.

What I ended up doing was using some of my stockpile of infected polluted water to cool a metal refinery. It's very temporary, but in the process of making a stockpile of refined metal I'm hoping to create a tank full of polluted water that's hot enough to disinfect it. After which I'll sieve it.

I mentioned in another thread I tend to set up hatch stables early for coal production.  I tend to save one stable for smooth hatches to get refined metal as soon as possible.

My usual goal is to have automation available by cycle 50. 

As for plastic I try to also ranch a drecko into glossy as soon as possible.  A single glossy can supply enough plastic for 4 germ sensors after one shearing.

But this is my playstyle and I understand if this doesn't work for everyone.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

What do I feed them?

Well start with normal hatches and feed them sedentary rock untill you get a stone hatch.

Then feed the stone hatch metal ore of your choice, until it lays a smooth egg.

Smooth hatches eat metal ore and poop refined metal at 95% efficiency.  That's better than the rock crusher that refines metals at 50%. 

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

That's better than the rock crusher that refines metals at 50%. 

Sounds better than the granulator.:wilson_shocked:

With what you're saying, I'll need to leave three rooms for hatches when I dig upward next time. I can gradually farm hatches that way.

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Sounds better than the granulator.:wilson_shocked:

With what you're saying, I'll need to leave three rooms for hatches when I dig upward next time. I can gradually farm hatches that way.

Just be sure to stop feeding the stone hatch metal ore once you see your first smooth egg.  Don't want to waste your metal.

Also you don't need to have a full 8 smooth hatches. You can mix them with sage hatches in one stable.  The sage hatches won't eat the metal ore.

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I absolutely agree, but it's only cycle 50 in this colony, and I'm struggling to set up a disinfection system. When you've been playing with late game technology and materials for a while, it's easy to forget how limited your options are early.

I mentioned the germ sensor needing plastic, which I don't have, and won't have for some time. Even relying on time instead of testing the water, you need automation, and that means refined metal.

What I ended up doing was using some of my stockpile of infected polluted water to cool a metal refinery. It's very temporary, but in the process of making a stockpile of refined metal I'm hoping to create a tank full of polluted water that's hot enough to disinfect it. After which I'll sieve it.

Why would you not have it for a while? Is it difficult to dig down to oil and turn it into plastic? Not even a little bit. Are you one of these people who refuse to use exosuits?

2 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I like doing this as well.  Just use overflow pee water and some liquid storage tanks with a metal refinery. Basically this turns pee, unrefined gold, and lots of germs into pure water, refined gold, and a tiny bit of clean, ready to use, dirt. Very simple to set up. You can easily choose how many runs of refined metal you need to kill the germs.

55 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

As for plastic I try to also ranch a drecko into glossy as soon as possible.  A single glossy can supply enough plastic for 4 germ sensors after one shearing.

Setting up a Dreko plastic ranch is rough early on because you have to feed them mealwood and keep them in hydrogen as much as possible. It takes a while to get the infrastructure together to collect gasses, unless you're fortunate in the positioning of a hydrogen pocket. Plus you really want an exosuit dock because grooming dreckos in hydrogen isn't practical without one, and I'm not up to making those yet.

I don't even have any reed fiber yet.

22 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Is it difficult to dig down to oil and turn it into plastic? 

Uh, YEAH. Jeez. It's cycle 50. I don't even HAVE exosuit tech yet, and I've yet to even venture into slime biomes because I'm being cautious about the new disease rules. Not to mention not having plastic or refining tech yet, or any effective means to deal with the amount of heat refining and plastic making throws off.

Seriously, plastic is not an early game material. In my last colony, I didn't set up my first polymer plant until I had a surface base. Prior to that all my plastic was from Drekos, which require far, far less infrastructure.

33 minutes ago, Xuhybrid said:

Are you one of these people who refuse to use exosuits?

That's a really weird assumption to pull out of nowhere. Why you went there I can't imagine.

I'm on family vacation for Easter so I'm reading/replying to the forums from my phone.  By the time I get home I'll share my picture of my early drako farm that doesn't use exo suits.

The grooming station and shearing station is on the same lvl as the mealwood so there's plenty of oxygen to breath

5 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Just use overflow pee water and some liquid storage tanks with a metal refinery.

Another option for the germy polluted water is a single reed plant.

I have a closed water loop for my toilets and all the extra pee, that my sieve can't handle goes in the reed plant. It's an early and steady source of reed fibre and one plant drinks more than 12 dupes will pee per cycle. The only germy output is the polluted dirt from the sieve.

21 hours ago, Doddler said:

I actually think I like the mechanic changes, where it's unavoidable to encounter illnesses

They could have kept the old system and still had unavoidable illnesses.  For example, they could have added something analogous to the common cold, made it relatively benign but easy to spread via sneezing, and had an immunization (natural after contracting it or manufactured via the apothecary) that granted dupes a hearty cooldown period before they could be infected again.

3 hours ago, habuky said:

Another option for the germy polluted water is a single reed plant.

I have a closed water loop for my toilets and all the extra pee, that my sieve can't handle goes in the reed plant. It's an early and steady source of reed fibre and one plant drinks more than 12 dupes will pee per cycle. The only germy output is the polluted dirt from the sieve.

That's how I dispose of germy polluted water.

17 hours ago, habuky said:

I do that too.

On 19.4.2019 at 4:59 PM, Sasza22 said:

What about using the buddy bud and it`s "one germ type per tile" rule. It blocks slimelung just fine without the need for fancy airlocks

Interesting thing, new floral germ system. I tested it out some hours / locations and buddy bud works well. Weird "background mechanic", pushes away bad germs.
Good in combination with CO² / liquid lock / deodorizer.

gj.thumb.jpg.1670f319afd05259ec32cc45b380144e.jpg

2 hours ago, Daxterr said:

I noticed that buddy bud is the only plant that makes floral germs. Isn't that kind of odd? 

Floral scents is just weird frankly. It doesn't affect anyone without allergies, right?

Bristle Blossoms make floral scent as well, but only while they're in bloom.

3 hours ago, Daxterr said:

Floral scents is just weird frankly. It doesn't affect anyone without allergies, right?

For non allergic dupes, floral scents will give a "smelled flowers" buff which reduces stress I believe.

Apologies for bumping an old thread but the new disease system is really driving me mad. I have 7 dupes in a pretty advanced mid-game base at cycle 250. Yet at all times 1 or 2 of my dupes have slimelung. I've got deodorizers all over the place but there always seems to be one or two puffs of slimelung-infected pOx floating around here and there, most likely caused by the dupes themselves, which short of having a deodorizer every 3 tiles I fail to see how I can avoid. I don't like the new system in general, but if the devs want to keep it I would like to suggest that they significantly increase the threshold for exposure such that accidentally breathing in one puff of pOx does not essentially guarantee an infection.

I'm going to have to agree with some of the thoughts in this thread about the new disease system.

Something about it just doesn't feel right or fun.  

The old system you have to maintain immunity and trying to keep the sick alive by making sure they're getting regular treatments to reduce the death timer or rather beat the death cycle.  If you fail treatment, you get closer to dying.  If you maintain treatment you can extend the death timer until you reach recovery.  Basically the death's door adds some what of an excitement and urgency to keep up with the sick ones. 

The immunity is like the stress %.  You want to make sure the immunity is high.  Immunity going too low you're at risk of getting sick rapidly. etc.

Immunity % makes more sense to me, than the current system that is  random chances of getting sick.

Archived