QOL3 - New desease system

7 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

It took 3 cycles of exposure every cycle before she got sick.  I stuck her in a room and made other dupes run in and out while she sneezed.  None of them were exposed to slimelung.

So I built a sick bay and crafted a medicine pack from the apothecary.  The moment the medicine pack was delivered to the sick bay, Bubbles ran in and sat down in the med bay.

So, for slimelung, you have to research the first two tiers of medicine.  I had all of the non-advanced research completed by cycle 20, which was quite a while before I started looking for mushrooms.

That said, however... it DOES require a dupe with the "Duplicant Care" skill before you can craft the medpacks for the sickbay.  This means to automatically quarantine a sick dupe early in the game, one of your dupes won't be learning to dig or construct stuff.

BUT... 

I had to expose a regular dupe for multiple cycles before they got sick.  Without polluted oxygen in my base, there was no way to transfer it on to other dupes -- even if they were directly in Bubble's vicinity while she was sneezing.  So if you are careful about digging out slime biomes and you keep your base oxygen clean, Slimelung really isn't a big problem in normal game play -- even if you have no caregivers and haven't built a med bay with a "Sick Bay" building.

Firstly, :D thanks for the back and forth, @KittenIsAGeek. I appreciate the mechanic testing and discourse. :) Just wanted to be sure you didn't think I was cranky with you or anything as I realized some of my sentences sound a bit peevish. Promise I'm not! At least, not with you. Haha. But anyway, back to the convo!

Honestly, I've no idea how your dupes are not getting immediately ill. Perhaps it's because they're being exposed while they're already sick, but I've had dupes not leave the base from the time they were cured and they are IMMEDIATELY ill again the next cycle. (Seriously, how the heck do you keep em healthy for 3 cycles? Share with me your magical secrets!)

Additionally, it's been impossible for me to keep the base entirely clean so far. Every time a duplicate sneezes they create a bubble of polluted oxygen with the germs they sneezed out. Even with a multitude of deodorizers I still get little bubbles of PO2 that will float up juuuust out of reach of them and drift down between a pair of them... So basically you need to have the darned things every 3 tiles to make it totally safe. It feels a bit ridiculous that you need to do that. I get the need to keep the air clean, most certainly, but it feels like a poor mechanic change to make something necessary every 3 feet to prevent illness. If it had a greater range on the tiles of gas it could suck in to clean that would be of great help.

Then the issue of the med pack. I've got the sick bay and I've got the apothecary, but I've yet to get the materials for the medication (I'm going to assume that's why there's no med pack showing up in the apothecary menu. Though... That makes no sense. I've never gotten Pincha Peppernut, but medicine made of only that is appearing in my apothecary menu... So heck if I know). So the entirety of this time as I'm trying to get a farm set up, get chlorine pumped in, get the room to an ideal temp, yadda yadda, everyone's just running around hacking up a storm in the base creating more polluted oxygen and working a half speed making it take even longer to get the cure set up. (Seeing as the room is full of chlorine or CO2 they're suffocating on TOP of the breath 'stealing' effect of slimelung, so some of them will run into the room and before they even get to their task they're already having to run out again to avoid suffocation. Everything has slowed to a crawl.)

I'll admit, it's a bit frustrating to receive people remarking that slimelung is 'easy' if you don't get slimelung. But that's a bit of the point, yes? It's easy until you get it because you don't have it. But once it gets into my base I just cannot get the blasted stuff out. I would not mind if getting the medication to cure it could be done earlier in the game, but as it is it takes a good deal of time, thus making the entire biome off limits for an extended period of time. That doesn't feel too great. You can get the atmosuits to keep them from being exposed, but it requires you to go INTO the slime biome in the first place to get the materials.

2 hours ago, KieraGreywolf said:

Honestly, I've no idea how your dupes are not getting immediately ill. Perhaps it's because they're being exposed while they're already sick, but I've had dupes not leave the base from the time they were cured and they are IMMEDIATELY ill again the next cycle. (Seriously, how the heck do you keep em healthy for 3 cycles? Share with me your magical secrets!)

Exposure does not equal illness.  My dupes would immediately get the "exposed to slimelung" trait when they breathed in slimelung.  This would wear off by the time they wake up in the morning.  If they only had the one exposure, odds were high that they wouldn't get sick.  If they had continual exposure, they would eventually wake up sick.

I keep my base fairly clean -- I don't dig directly into a slime biome.  I used water locks at first, and have since replaced them with petrol/crude.  I have deoderizers placed strategically within my base to clean up any polluted oxygen that pops up.  Until I had atmo suits developed, I only did minimal digging into slime biomes and instead focused my efforts on the chlorine/hydrogen biome.  

Edit:  I intentionally exposed Bubbles until she got sick on 3 separate occasions.  In none of those events did slimelung spread within my base, nor did other dupes get sick.  One dupe did get "exposed" to slimelung because of Bubbles, but that was because I placed them both in a room with multiple pockets of polluted oxygen and forced them to idle there until Bubbles sneezed.

That blows my mind, honestly. I've not had that experience. For the life of me I don't understand what the difference is between our games. My dupes do not go out into the slime (been about 20 cycles since the last time anyone went out there), I have a small handful of tiles with PO2 (about 6 or 7) that drift around and are eventually cleaned up when they get too near a deodorizer, yet it keeps on spreading.

Ah well. Finally got balm lilies, so it's starting to finally die off. Last one sick is my doctor because she can't treat herself. >__< Praying she doesn't spread it before it cures itself naturally or I get another doctor on deck.

42 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Exposure does not equal illness.  My dupes would immediately get the "exposed to slimelung" trait when they breathed in slimelung.  This would wear off by the time they wake up in the morning.  If they only had the one exposure, odds were high that they wouldn't get sick.  If they had continual exposure, they would eventually wake up sick.

Is there any way to quantify their exposure in the game short of just keeping a careful watch on the dupes?  That's my biggest issue with the new system is that I feel there's little feedback or warning on when dupes may get sick.  In the previous version, it was easy to keep track of this and this made it possible (and honestly too easy) to keep track of which dupes were most at risk.  I don't think it needs to be as easy as it was previously to avoid sickness, but it would be nice to have some indication as to when dupes are at risk.

(Edit: updating post with info)

I actually dug through the code for disease and here's how it works:

• The amount of germs in an exposure event is based on the amount of germs consumed. For air it's the amount of germs in the gas tile divided by the volume of gas consumed, and for food it's the amount of germs on the food divided by the % of the food consumed.
  • The exposure must be above 100 germs or it won't do anything.
  • Immediately when exposed, the duplicant gains the exposed status. Edit: If the duplicant is already counted as exposed, then the check ends there as they cannot be exposed multiple times at once.
  • The exposure is given a score based on the contraction rate multiplied by the duplicant's susceptibility rate. Contraction rate for Slime Lung and Food Poisoning are 0.3, and for the spore one it's 0.9. Susceptibility rate is by default 1, germ resistant is 0.5, biohazardous is 1.5. This should be modified by pills and such too.
  • The exposure is then passed to a global tracker where the score is added to a tally for each disease.
  • If the tally exceeds 1, one of your duplicants with the exposed status is picked at random to gain the contracted status. The duplicant that gets sick is based on a weighted random check based on the amount of germs of their last exposure (so higher germ count means that duplicant has a higher chance of getting sick). Once a duplicant is picked to be sick, the tally is reduced by 1.
  • When a duplicant wakes up, if they went to sleep with just the exposed status, they lose that status. If they have the contracted status, they become sick.

So to sum up: Every x number of exposure events will cause a duplicant to get sick. For Slime Lung with default resistant duplicants, every 3-4 exposures will get one of your exposed duplicants sick.

Edit: As of the April 17th hotfix, the exposure score cannot go above 1. This means that a single exposure event can't result in more than one duplicant getting sick. Exposure events in one dupe can still however result in an other contracting an illness if the other duplicant is still considered exposed.

2 hours ago, Doddler said:

Edit: As of the April 17th hotfix, the exposure score cannot go above 1. This means that a single exposure event can't result in more than one duplicant getting sick. Exposure events in one dupe can still however result in an other contracting an illness if the other duplicant is still considered exposed.

Could you please clarify what is meant by exposure score here? And how frequently is the tally calculated and contracted status awarded, does it happen on each single exposure?

Like in cases described here, for example, if there are 4 duplicants on a base in total. Then one of them gets exposed to Slimelung just enough to get sick and from that he starts coughing within the base. If he coughs enough during the day, then all the rest 3, if they are lucky to inhale it, can become exposed and so they can become sick - say, the tally goes up to 1, the first one gets contracted status, then tally goes to 1 again, and then again and so all three are contracted now and wake up sick. So the picture is about the same as it was before? I mean the change of cap to 1 should have some effect if it's in the code but I fail to catch what effect exactly if tally and contracted works per exposure.

Ok so each time a duplicant gets exposed to germs by breathing in germs or eating germy food, they get 'exposed'. That doesn't mean they're sick, it just shows as exposed to a disease in their status. Once they're exposed they stay exposed until they rest. After a certain number of exposures (base wide), one of your currently exposed duplicants will contract the disease. Contracting the disease means they're going to get sick... they're not sick yet, but they will be. After a duplicant sleeps, if they just have exposure status they'll go back to normal, and if they have contracted status, they'll become sick then. That said, I'm not sure if the UI tells you if a disease is contracted or not from an exposure, so you might not be able to know ahead of time if a exposure has lead to sickness until they rest.

The whole exposure score is how many exposures your duplicants can go through before one of them gets sick. If your biohazardous dupes are getting exposed, you'll get sick quicker. If you've got everyone on pills, it will take quite a few more exposures to get sick.

30 minutes ago, Doddler said:

The whole exposure score is how many exposures your duplicants can go through before one of them gets sick. 

So in the layman term, if your total "exposed" status each cycle beyond a threshold, you'll be guaranteed to have 1 sick dupe next morning. For example, I have 10 "Slimelung exposed" dupes this cycle, so next cycle I will have 1 dupe infected with Slimelung, right?

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Highly germ-susceptible Duplicants will no longer get other Duplicants sick when they are exposed to germs.

30 minutes ago, Doddler said:

If your biohazardous dupes are getting exposed, you'll get sick quicker. If you've got everyone on pills, it will take quite a few more exposures to get sick.

This might be no longer the case in the latest update.

4 hours ago, Doddler said:

an exposure event

Ok i need some clarification about what is an exposure event. Lets say you have a dupe walk through a slime biome with tons of slimelung germs. I assume walking through there once is considered one exposure. But what about smaller amount of germs floating around your base? Lets consider 2 separate patches of pO2 with just enough slimelung germs to cause exposure. Does walking through both of them count as 1 or 2 exposure events? Does walking back throught hem again add 2 more?

Can a few pO2 tiles cause an entire base to get slimelung if placed in a high traffic area? Or are the scores gained from the low amount of germs too low to cause anything.

One more can one dupe getting a ton of exposure in a high germ area cause multiple dupes in the base with multiple small exposures to get sick?

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Ok i need some clarification about what is an exposure event. Lets say you have a dupe walk through a slime biome with tons of slimelung germs. I assume walking through there once is considered one exposure. But what about smaller amount of germs floating around your base? Lets consider 2 separate patches of pO2 with just enough slimelung germs to cause exposure. Does walking through both of them count as 1 or 2 exposure events? Does walking back throught hem again add 2 more?

Can a few pO2 tiles cause an entire base to get slimelung if placed in a high traffic area? Or are the scores gained from the low amount of germs too low to cause anything.

One more can one dupe getting a ton of exposure in a high germ area cause multiple dupes in the base with multiple small exposures to get sick?

Looking at the code again, I missed that you can only get exposure if you are not currently exposed. So to your first and third questions, the answer would be probably be no.

For the second question, it should only count exposure if they get more than 100 germs at once. The wiki says dupes consume 100g per second, so I'd assume that germs would have to be above around 1000 per 1kg of oxygen in normal circumstances for them to pick up the germs. That would work differently if they were out of breath and consumed a lot more oxygen at once though.

With the knowledge that an exposed dupe can't be re-exposed, I think that means for slimelung, without pills you can say on average every 3.3 exposed duplicants per cycle will result in one duplicant getting sick.

If I understand what Doddler found out properly, it sounds like Klei coded "exposure" so as to smooth out luck. The level of exposure of each dupe depends on how many germs they ingested, one way or another, over the course of a day. But instead of "rolling" the dice independently for each dupe in the morning to see who gets sick, they add up the chances over all dupes, and check if it adds up to more than 100%. If it does, one of your dupes get sick. The dupes that had ingested more germs will be proportionally more likely to get sick than those than ingested less germs.

You add up all the germs that your dupes ingested. So they will likely ingest twice as many germs if they walk through that spot twice.

I think this would have to be tested to know for sure, but it will depend on how many germs there are in that tile, and the total amount of time that all of your dupes spent in it.

If that high-exposure dupe is the difference between reaching the exposure threshold or not, then in a sense it might cause other dupes with low exposures to get sick. But once you've passed the threshold, that high-exposure dupe doesn't increase the chances of your other dupes to get sick.

I find limiting the number of dupes that contract a disease to one per day leads to strange incentives, but so be it, I guess.

EDIT:

3 minutes ago, Doddler said:

Looking at the code again, I missed that you can only get exposure if you are not currently exposed. So to your first and third questions, the answer would be probably be no.

Wait, really? That's fairly unintuitive. It would make more sense for their "exposure" severity to keep increasing as they ingest more germs in a day.

By the way:

5 hours ago, Doddler said:

The amount of germs in an exposure event is based on the amount of germs consumed. For air it's the amount of germs in the gas tile divided by the volume of gas consumed

Is this just paraphrasing, or is it actual code? The amount of germs ingested should be something like Germs_in_tile*V_gas_consumed/V_gas_tile, *not* Germs_in_tile / V_gas_consumed.

58 minutes ago, pacovf said:

I find limiting the number of dupes that contract a disease to one per day leads to strange incentives, but so be it, I guess.

Well it's not like it resets on a daily basis, one dupe getting multiple exposures over multiple cycles will be the same as 3-4 dupes getting it in one cycle, you'll still end up with a sick dupe.

1 hour ago, pacovf said:

s this just paraphrasing, or is it actual code? The amount of germs ingested should be something like Germs_in_tile*V_gas_consumed/V_gas_tile, *not* Germs_in_tile / V_gas_consumed.

I'm paraphrasing, sorry. I couldn't find the exact sim code, but my assumption from what I saw is that if you say consumed 10% of the oxygen on a tile, you'd take 10% of the germs with it.

This whole thing sounds really gamey, like the hidden counters in the Rimworld storytellers that inject chaos into your day based on some hidden score. I love Rimworld, but despite the superficial similarities, ONI and Rimworld are very different games: the latter tries to tell you a story, weaving a stream of chaos to encourage richness of events. ONI is a game of numbers and systems, of resource management, machinery and automation. In my opinion RNG should have little to no role in such a game.

In the old system you could carefully manage your dupe's exposure to entirely prevent infection. Some people insist this makes it too easy, but I would counter with asking whether they would also like their dupes to randomly starve or suffocate despite your careful attention to managing their food and oxygen supplies? Like every other difficulty in ONI, disease was something that could be managed once factored into your calculations. The real challenge of ONI is not food, or oxygen or disease; it is about adapting to limited resources while expanding your capabilities, it is about tinkering and perfecting machines that free up your labor to perform more sophisticated tasks.

1 hour ago, Doddler said:

Well it's not like it resets on a daily basis, one dupe getting multiple exposures over multiple cycles will be the same as 3-4 dupes getting it in one cycle, you'll still end up with a sick dupe.

I'm paraphrasing, sorry. I couldn't find the exact sim code, but my assumption from what I saw is that if you say consumed 10% of the oxygen on a tile, you'd take 10% of the germs with it.

Does it mean slimelung germs in non-breathable gases (like hydrogen) can be ignored now because they are never consumed by dupes?

13 minutes ago, Giltirn said:

ONI is a game of numbers and systems, of resource management, machinery and automation. In my opinion RNG should have little to no role in such a game.

This.

A system that you can't figure out without looking at the code (like @Doddler did) does not belong in this game. Why the devs thought it was a good idea is something I can't even begin to understand.

7 hours ago, M.C. said:

A system that you can't figure out without looking at the code (like @Doddler did) does not belong in this game. Why the devs thought it was a good idea is something I can't even begin to understand.

I gave it some more thought and the easiest way to summarize the new system is, without mitigating factors, being exposed to slimelung and food poisoning has a 30% chance to make you sick (90% for zombie spore), with a bunch of stuff behind the scenes that tries to make it more uniform and less likely to end up with all your dupes getting sick at once. The intent here is pretty clear, the old system you could avoid using the medicine content entirely (and you didn't even need to play very cautiously to do it), but now you will have to make use of medicine one way or another.

8 hours ago, Giltirn said:

In my opinion RNG should have little to no role in such a game.

Hard disagree. RNG is right there with you in the very beginning with world generation and your first three (randomized) dupes, and again every three days when the printer fires up, and in the mid-to-late game with your starmap. I actually want MORE random events and happenings. Those are the things that create my favorite moments and stories in games like this, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, etc. I want more of that in ONI. You want less. Both are valid opinions, and ONI will not be the pefect game "out-of-the-box" for everyone. I'm looking forward to a robust modding community to add more of the things I love to ONI.

8 hours ago, Giltirn said:

Some people insist this makes it too easy, but I would counter with asking whether they would also like their dupes to randomly starve or suffocate despite your careful attention to managing their food and oxygen supplies?

That doesn't really feel like a "counter". "randomly starving or suffocating" isn't really a thing that happens IRL, at least not often enough to be a game mechanic . "Randomly getting sick" is something that does happen IRL. Just like real life, you can make all the "right" choices and still get ill by chance or accident. I don't think that is bad game design, or that it doesn't belong in this game.

I agree with the decision to introduce an element of chance in the disease system. It makes the entire health/disease/medicine system less trivial (pre QOL3, I was able to spam deoderizers and pretty much ignore slimelung), and adds an element of risk to your choices- a risk you can reduce with the use of vitamins, boosters, dupe traits, prep, etc. The diseases are also much less deadly, meaning a risk that leads to an infection is no longer a death sentence necessarily- disease is easily managed with a proper apothecary, doctor dupe, and facilities. Or heck, just nerf the diseases at worldgen and forget about em. :) 

8 hours ago, M.C. said:

I too feel that the issue with the current disease system is not that it is unavoidable or RNG-based, it's that it is opaque.

If ONI is about calculating your way forward, then I'd say that formulas should be there in the information system. Maybe not on tooltips, but accessible in the game. The code is there and the engine is there, so if something is hidden it is just a matter of time before it is found by someone who takes effort to post it for the community. And then it feels like you are left with two options. Either you choose not to read external resources and play very ineffectively because you need to spend your time to figure out hidden mechanics on your own via experiments, or you go read and then it feels like you have cheated yourself out of the game because you will inevitably find there not only the description of mechanics but also a dozen neat and effective ways to play around it.

It was the same way with Don't Starve, although to a lesser extent, as DS wiki mostly sticks to describing things and not what to do with them. But in ONI the information database is way more detailed than DS tooltips, so why not just put all this stuff in there? If we have numbers of electricity output of generators and grams for geysers, why can't we have this germ mechanics explained - maybe Duplicants medicine is backed up by strong research and this all is figured out by them? For example, if this info would be attached to pills page that would only become accessible after this research is done and buildings are built - that would make sense.

I would prefer having formulas accessible so that I do not have to experiment to figure them out but I still can try to figure out how to play around them on my own, without spoilers.

36 minutes ago, miauly said:

I would prefer having formulas accessible so that I do not have to experiment to figure them out but I still can try to figure out how to play around them on my own, without spoilers.

This is how I feel about the rocket system! I'm trying to learn it without looking up info, but like, if my dupes can design and build and launch a rocket, they should be able to tell me how far I can send which modules with what engines, BEFORE I build it and find out I can't quite make the trip I was planning. 

But yeah, there def needs to be more tooltips about which meds and buildings cure/treat which ailments. The Sick Bay entry tells me it treats Intermediate sicknesses, and the Disease Clinic tells me it treats severe sicknesses, but none of the diseases in game have their "severity" listed. Why can't I treat slimelung in the Disease Clinic? The Curative Tablet tooltip tells me that it alleviates Food Poisoning, but why do the Medicine Pack and Medicine Vial not tell me what they treat or what buildings they require to be administered? Why don't the building tooltips tell me this before I've built them?

Here are my thoughts on the new disease system.

Major Gripes

• I hate the binary nature of the new system.  With the old system our dupes were either healthy, sick, or getting sick.  When a dupe was exposed we had a choice between mitigating further exposure until their immune system overcame the germs they were carrying or allowing them to continue knowing that further exposure meant they'd eventually spend time on a med-cot.  This new system is all or nothing; there are fewer choices to make when dupes are either sick or they're not.
  • I hate the rng nature of the new system.  With immunity we had all the information we needed to determine whether or not a dupe would get sick, and we could act accordingly.  In this new system sickness is a daily roll of the dice, and the difference between inhaling or ingesting a few germs and hundreds of thousands of them isn't intuitive.  Randomly determining which dupes, if any, will get sick on a given day strips us of a measure of control.
  • I hate the opaqueness of the new system.  In this game we're given all the information we need to determine if a circuit will overload, if our power generation is sufficient to meet our needs, if we're producing enough food or oxygen, etc.  But when it comes to sicknesses we're left in the dark.  We, as veterans of the game, have to rely on forum-goers to analyze the game's code to determine how this new system works.  That's information that should be readily available in game.

Minor Gripes

• I find instant-cures less immersive.  Under the old system a sick dupe was going to be bedridden for a few cycles.  In the new system they see a doctor or pop a pill and they're instantly cured.  Granted, with how frequently sicknesses occur in the new system, sick dupes spending days in quarantine would be too severe a penalty, and would probably prove catastrophic to many a colony.
  • I feel that the potency of diseases have been too greatly diminished.  I'm continuing a new colony and thus haven't experienced the two new diseases, but food poisoning and slime lung - two things I used to take great measures to prevent - are no longer the debilitating.  I feel like ignoring their symptoms and letting the disease run its course is now a viable, possibly even optimal strategy.

As someone who has been pining for a doctor and new diseases for a long time now, it pains me to say that I dislike this new system.  For the reasons outlined above, this new system feels like a step in the wrong direction.  The old system wasn't perfect; diseases hit new, unsuspecting players too hard while veterans found them trivial.  Changes were needed, but I think Klei threw the baby out with the bathwater.  We've gone from proactive, preventative measures being too effective to reactive treatments being too commonplace.  Hopefully we're not too close to release for another pass on diseases.

Ok i have to say now that i understand the system more it doesn`t feel as bad. Cmpared to the old i don`t have the control but i see that`s the intent. Too much control caused me to nullify the disease completely by keeping my base germ free and carefully apporaching slime zones. Food posioning was a non issue once i build a wash basin. A single germed piece of food didn`t matter. Walking through slimelung air did nothing unless done carelessly or playing on miserable immunity.

Now i keep getting food poisoning whenever a dupe forgets to wash hands (like carrying a germed bottle right before downtime). I`m getting allergic reactions from my one alergic dupe whenever he passes through my bristle farm (i set him to low priority in supply and farm but he still finds an excuse to go there). The diseases are now a part of the game experience and i kinda like it. They are also much less severe which is good for new players that might have trouble handling them. Overall the system is less all or nothing. Some sick dupes won`t make your colony collapse. It`s a smoother experience.

What i don`t like is that now i need to visit a caustic biome first and get a stockpile of balm lilly flowers as well as proper tech and a doctor dupe before thinking about venturing into the slime biome. Almost feels like the slime biomes should be placed farther from the starting one now so you don`t screw yourself up by expanding too fast early. Another thing is clarity. There is little info about what thing does what. The allergy cure id for floral scents that`s obvious. But the basic cure doesn`t say it`s for food poisoning. Is it useful for something else? That info is kinda needed. Also the boosters. Does the immuno booster work for all diseases or only for slimelung? We don`t know. Or that the dupes get sick upon waking up. It needs to be more obvious. A lot of tooltip work is needed here.

21 hours ago, Doddler said:
  • The exposure is given a score based on the contraction rate multiplied by the duplicant's susceptibility rate. Contraction rate for Slime Lung and Food Poisoning are 0.3, and for the spore one it's 0.9. Susceptibility rate is by default 1, germ resistant is 0.5, biohazardous is 1.5. This should be modified by pills and such too.

From what I've read boosters change the 1.0 susceptibility to 0.7, which hardly seems worth the effort of an entire farming and processing operation - unless the effect is really non-linear this would change a 3-exposure typical sickness rate into a 4.3. Great, so I just need one or two less cures manufactured per cycle... May as well just stockpile on cures and treat medicine as just another type of food.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

What i don`t like is that now i need to visit a caustic biome first and get a stockpile of balm lilly flowers as well as proper tech and a doctor dupe before thinking about venturing into the slime biome. Almost feels like the slime biomes should be placed farther from the starting one now so you don`t screw yourself up by expanding too fast early. Another thing is clarity. There is little info about what thing does what. The allergy cure id for floral scents that`s obvious. But the basic cure doesn`t say it`s for food poisoning. Is it useful for something else? That info is kinda needed. Also the boosters. Does the immuno booster work for all diseases or only for slimelung? We don`t know. Or that the dupes get sick upon waking up. It needs to be more obvious. A lot of tooltip work is needed here.

there are starts where you are entirely surrounded by slime and no path out out without it.  I think the mid game cure us not compatible with early game exposures 

• Developer

Thanks so much for all the feedback here, everyone! We're reading it with interest. Our main goal with the system at this point is exactly what has been mentioned: to make it more clear what's going on so you can make good decisions about how to run your colony. It's not at the level of quality that we want yet and we're still working on it! We're also going to look into the various balance issues that have been mentioned here too. :)

Archived