Lureplants spawning large amounts of rot... Explanation?

I was about 100 days into a private server and started a Lureplant farm (planted bulbs on carpeted flooring). I checked on it every now and then to harvest the Leafy Meat. Everything was normal for a while, and then one day, when I checked back, there were piles upon piles of rot surrounding one of the Lureplants. It was as if someone spawned hundreds of rot in that area, since some of the piles were actually floating over the ocean as well. (The plant had been placed at the edge of the map.)

I gathered all of the rot and counted them. The total came up to 1280 individual pieces of rot. I'm around day 300 now, and it hasn't happened since. I'm wondering if anyone has an explanation for that Lureplant seemingly spawning a huge amount of rot. I can't find anything on the internet about it. Is it a bug? Has anyone had this happen to them?

They eat birds/rabbits/other creatures that are lured by it's meat and instead of digesting their remains it just keeps them in it's sort of "inventory". It rots over time and if it's killed, it will drop all that it consumed, rotten.

21 minutes ago, Wilson_pl said:

They eat birds/rabbits/other creatures that are lured by it's meat and instead of digesting their remains it just keeps them in it's sort of "inventory". It rots over time and if it's killed, it will drop all that it consumed, rotten.

So you're telling me that this one lureplant caught and killed 1280 animals? No.

I feel like this very much a bug. @Kaivu you should probably head over to the Bug Tracker. Screenshots would also be nice. Are you playing with mods?

Just now, Canis said:

So you're telling me that this one lureplant caught and killed 1280 animals? No.

I feel like this very much a bug. @Kaivu you should probably head over to the Bug Tracker. Screenshots would also be nice. Are you playing with mods?

Ever heard of frog rain? I've had some Spring months have multiple frog rains that last for long periods of time. Is it common? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. Couple a few frog rains with the random critters it eats and leave it alone for many months and voila, a lure plant with over 1280 kills.

I doubt it's a bug. Probably just an unusual set of circumstances that were bound to happen to somebody.

2 minutes ago, Casm said:

Ever heard of frog rain? I've had some Spring months have multiple frog rains that last for long periods of time. Is it common? No. Is it possible? Absolutely. Couple a few frog rains with the random critters it eats and leave it alone for many months and voila, a lure plant with over 1280 kills.

I doubt it's a bug. Probably just an unusual set of circumstances that were bound to happen to somebody.

300 days = 1200 frogs worth of frog rain? NO

5 minutes ago, Casm said:

Emphasis:

5 minutes ago, Casm said:

Is it common? No.

I very highly doubt that a single lureplant has killed more than a thousand animals. If we're talking about frog rain, and ignoring the fact that frogs only spawn near the player and not off-screen, my educated guess is that the frogs would only net the lureplant around a hundred, and that's also assuming that every single frog that spawns gets eaten.

There's too many factors to consider, such as the numbers being too high to be possible, and the fact that there are multiple reasons showing that it's impossible.. I am 100% certain its a bug.

1 minute ago, Casm said:

Okay, you replicate the bug and come back with the results. I'll be waiting with bated breath.

Are you seriously telling me to go play a world for 300 days just to prove a very specific bug under very specific circumstances when we don't even know the step-by-step on how to replicate it?

30 minutes ago, Casm said:

No, I'm telling you to replicate the bug if you're so sure. Use console commands if you want.

We don't even know how OP did the bug, for starters. And what do you expect me to do exactly? Skip to day 300, hang around a lureplant, summon frog rain?

The reason I'm so sure is because, of my knowledge that I have gained through my thousand+ hours I have played this franchise, I know how the mechanics work and I know that 1000+ kills for a single lureplant (that was located for the sake of a meat farm, mind you), even if we plant it on day 1 and leave it for 300 days, would be impossible, let alone the fact that mobs become inactive off-screen save for timer-based actions (such as lureplants generating leafy meat)

This is starting to become an argument, and I have already proven why this *has* to be a bug (assuming that OP isn't using mods), so I'm cutting myself off here before we get the thread locked.

(Edit: "has to" = "I've given much more evidence for my side than the other guy has given for his")

Your knowledge is lacking.

For starters, the OP said a single lureplant had over 1200 rot but he didn't say he only planted a single lureplant for his lure farm. It's much more likely that if you're planting a lureplant farm, you're going to plant many.

So, you take many lureplants and multiple frog rains, it's not hard to get over 1000 kills. (Hell, I've seen 1000s of rot by running through beefalo herds after a frog rain or two, they're just scattered all over the place). Then, you have some or all but one lureplant die for some reason. The reasons are irrelevant unless that reason is a bug. The leftover crap that those plants had are left behind for the remaining lureplant to snatch up. Now you have a single lureplant with over 1000 kills worth of crap waiting to rot.

Just because you lack the knowledge to explain something doesn't mean it's a bug. Do some testing first and find the truth instead of just passing off your alleged knowledge as absolute fact. You can be (and in this case are likely) wrong.

lureplants eat frogs????? dont the frogs kill the eyes???

a lureplant consumes evry few sec an item. so it would also delete the rot. or am i wrong?

this has to be a bug.

btw ive a lure grass farm and when i plant 2 lures in the middle of it, it happens that one lure eats the other lure somehow. is this a bug or just common behavior...

I managed to replicate the bug in my 200 day world. It's not rot that the lureplants produce, it's leafy meat. I had the bulbs planted for 3 seasons (or 55 days), planting them on the first day of spring. On the first day of the next winter, they proceeded to spit out profuse amounts of leafy meat. I had about 8 lureplants doing this in a small area, and it accumulated about 1600 leafy meat, which eventually rotted.

I thought about what could be causing this, and the closest thing that I can think of is the lureplants producing new leafy meat when the old one spoils, but for some reason the spoiled leafy meat doesn't turn into rot and just stays as fresh leafy meat inside the bulb's inventory until winter, when the plant dies. Maybe that's what's causing this?

That's all I know about it. It just sort of happened randomly and it's never happened before, and hasn't happened since. No idea what caused it in particular, but for complete replication purposes, some of the lureplants had their eyeplants exposed, and the ones with the exposed eyeplants spat out the leafy meat, and the ones that didn't, didn't.

26 minutes ago, Nickster206 said:

I managed to replicate the bug in my 200 day world. It's not rot that the lureplants produce, it's leafy meat. I had the bulbs planted for 3 seasons (or 55 days), planting them on the first day of spring. On the first day of the next winter, they proceeded to spit out profuse amounts of leafy meat. I had about 8 lureplants doing this in a small area, and it accumulated about 1600 leafy meat, which eventually rotted.

I thought about what could be causing this, and the closest thing that I can think of is the lureplants producing new leafy meat when the old one spoils, but for some reason the spoiled leafy meat doesn't turn into rot and just stays as fresh leafy meat inside the bulb's inventory until winter, when the plant dies. Maybe that's what's causing this?

This is the very first time I've heard this, along with OP. Again, I'd love to see screenshots.

Very odd but given that it's happened to both you and the OP, it definitely gives more credence to the possibility of a bug than just some anomaly of unlikely circumstances.

I'll play around and try to replicate it myself because I find this quite interesting.

I don't have any pictures of the actual event happening, but here's some of the leftover leafy meat I bundled up. Each of the 3 bundling wraps on the bottom row of the chest is full of them, totaling 240 leafy meat. The rest I left to rot.

Spoiler

20190413175829_1.thumb.jpg.44392bdab1263f8dedb14cb35b3277ff.jpg

6 hours ago, Canis said:

This is the very first time I've heard this, along with OP. Again, I'd love to see screenshots.

ive heard of this bug quite few times. the bug does produce a very very big amount of leafy meat.

i think i saw videos on youtube and steam forum posts about it

When the bug happened to me, the bulbs were surrounded by desert turf (which works the same as carpeted turf). However, I had a 2x2 patch of forest turf so I could use the eyeplants from some of the bulbs as a garbage bin, which I never ended up actually using for those 55 days. Only the bulbs that had their eyeplants exposed for the 55 days spat out hundreds of leafy meat when they hibernated in winter.

Archived